PDA

View Full Version : Alignment Line on Ball

Toolish
7th January 2017, 10:13 PM
Pretty simple, do you use a line on the ball when putting.

I have done it in the past, have gone away from it. Thinking about going back to it!

Jazz18
7th January 2017, 10:38 PM
No. It's a waste of time for me. Also, check out Rickie Fowler use the line on his ball to line up his putts. It's bloody painful to watch as well.

aussieashley
7th January 2017, 10:40 PM
I prefer to look at no markings on the ball, so set it up that way.

goughy
7th January 2017, 11:04 PM
Same here. Don't like to see anything on the ball when putting, not even a logo.

Johnny Canuck
7th January 2017, 11:29 PM
I sometimes use it on shorter putts. If I'm struggling with shorter putts, using the line is quite helpful.

mrbluu
8th January 2017, 06:46 AM
Pretty simple, do you use a line on the ball when putting.

I have done it in the past, have gone away from it. Thinking about going back to it!
Yes I use it.

No. It's a waste of time for me. Also, check out Rickie Fowler use the line on his ball to line up his putts. It's bloody painful to watch as well.
No more painful.than watching u clean your clubs [emoji13] [emoji13] [emoji13]

Daves
8th January 2017, 06:51 AM
Same here. Don't like to see anything on the ball when putting, not even a logo.

I am from this school, I find a line distracting, though I understand it may help some. I am put off a bit by a mate that uses a line and is painfully slow using it. The irony is he is blind as a bat, needs the flag held for anything outside 10 feet, so I am not quite sure what the point is for him? (other than he sees the Pros do it, and thinks it is magical solution to his shitty handsy putting stroke!)

Feelzy
8th January 2017, 07:23 AM
I use to but developed a bad case of the yips.

Now I like to look at a blank patch of the ball or as long as nothing is pointing towards the hole then I'm happy.

Have putted a lot straighter and making more putts since.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Grumpy8
8th January 2017, 08:25 AM
Putting has been letting me down so I use a line on the ball
I point the line at where I want the ball to go , there is a line on my putter, so concentrate on aligning the two lines and putting centre to centre , has worked a treat since I started doing it

Toolish
8th January 2017, 08:40 AM
I have been going the clean skin look, no logo or anything up. Think I am going to try a line for a while and see how I go.

The speed of play bit is what worries me, I like to play quick, so if that gets in my head then that will be an issue!

benno_r
8th January 2017, 09:11 AM
I have an alignment line on the ball, but only for identification.

After getting the edel putter fit, I use the features of the putter to do the alignment for me.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

mrbluu
8th January 2017, 09:16 AM
I have been going the clean skin look, no logo or anything up. Think I am going to try a line for a while and see how I go.

The speed of play bit is what worries me, I like to play quick, so if that gets in my head then that will be an issue!
If u are worried about the pace of play then line the ball up quicker??

Also having less putts would also speed up the pace of play.....

Jazz18
8th January 2017, 09:21 AM
No more painful.than watching u clean your clubs [emoji13] [emoji13] [emoji13]

Haha! Defensive much ;)

You're not slow with it though mate. Never even noticed you doing it to be honest.

Gw 86
8th January 2017, 09:21 AM
I always have mine marked and line up anything under about 15 foot then stand behind to check. If its a little out i dont worry about adjusting it just know i need to putt slightly out of parallel with the line.

mrbluu
8th January 2017, 11:18 AM
Haha! Defensive much ;)

You're not slow with it though mate. Never even noticed you doing it to be honest.

Yeah don't knock rickie!!! hahahaha

I find it funny that ppl think doing stuff that could help you have less shots, actually slow play down.....I remember with GPS's and Rangefinders came out ppl thought they were going to slow down play.

Toxic
8th January 2017, 11:34 AM
Always have mizuno logo facing up. Number must be the right way up.
Use logo as line of putt

oncewasagolfer
8th January 2017, 01:13 PM
I have been putting a sharpie line on the ball for years I find it helps a lot. A plus marker at our course lines his tee shots up as well which is a bit odd but obviously works for him.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Dotty
8th January 2017, 01:41 PM
If u are worried about the pace of play then line the ball up quicker??

Also having less putts would also speed up the pace of play.....
Unfortunately, it's the pedantic ones that still three putt that govern the pace of play.

No lines for me. I even adjust my ball 45* (before picking up my marker), if the wording on the seam is close to being on line of the putt.

Daves
8th January 2017, 03:26 PM
Unfortunately, it's the pedantic ones that still three putt that govern the pace of play.

Exactly! Nothing is as much fun as watching a pedantic one lining up their 4th putt! My mate can't putt for shit.

Jika
8th January 2017, 04:33 PM
I've been using one, not sure if it makes much difference though

davidw88
8th January 2017, 05:23 PM
I never use one I have a line on the top of my putter and line it up with where I want the ball to go.

thecollective
8th January 2017, 06:00 PM
Rubs off onto your irons, got sick of all the marks so stopped doing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8081travis
8th January 2017, 07:13 PM
I've bought a tonne of those plastic gizmos to mark a line, they all break so easily. Anyone use one thats decent?

Jazz18
8th January 2017, 09:15 PM
Yeah don't knock rickie!!! hahahaha

I find it funny that ppl think doing stuff that could help you have less shots, actually slow play down.....I remember with GPS's and Rangefinders came out ppl thought they were going to slow down play.

Only when you use them when your standing on the fringe! ;)

mrbluu
9th January 2017, 08:59 AM
Only when you use them when your standing on the fringe! ;)
That's a lie, I step it out from the fringe.[emoji13]

Either way u didn't see what happened cos u were still cleaning your clubs..... Hahaha

Daves
9th January 2017, 09:19 AM
I've bought a tonne of those plastic gizmos to mark a line, they all break so easily. Anyone use one thats decent?

There was a metal version available at one time. Not sure if they are still available?

Or there are these as an alternative;

http://groovefix.com/linefix360--golf-ball-line-marker-4-c.asp

Jazz18
9th January 2017, 09:36 AM
That's a lie, I step it out from the fringe.[emoji13]

Either way u didn't see what happened cos u were still cleaning your clubs..... Hahaha

LOL! :)

LarryLong
9th January 2017, 09:42 AM
I just put my ball on the ground, any old way. You shouldn't be focusing on stuff like that if you're trying to be a putting zen master and 'be the ball'.

I play with a guy who does the whole mark, twist the ball around, align, check, re-align thing on 3-footers. It's cringe-worthy. I could three putt twice in the time it takes him to two putt.

3Puttpete
9th January 2017, 11:18 AM
I just put my ball on the ground, any old way. You shouldn't be focusing on stuff like that if you're trying to be a putting zen master and 'be the ball'.

I play with a guy who does the whole mark, twist the ball around, align, check, re-align thing on 3-footers. It's cringe-worthy. I could three putt twice in the time it takes him to two putt.

A man after my own heart

wazamac
9th January 2017, 11:28 AM
I always use the alignment that is always printed on the ball. Only for the first putt though and if I get within a couple of feet, I just continue putting.
if I need to mark the ball after the first putt because of standing on someone else's line, I will then proceed to line up the putt again.

tanax
11th January 2017, 12:01 PM
I always use the alignment that is always printed on the ball. Only for the first putt though and if I get within a couple of feet, I just continue putting.
if I need to mark the ball after the first putt because of standing on someone else's line, I will then proceed to line up the putt again.

Same. Will use it on 2nd putt if it's a birdie putt.

I see some people use it when tee off too.

Hatchman
12th January 2017, 01:35 PM
Yes, use alignment line on ball, well 2 actually.
For years used the ProV1 stamping but in the last 6months changed to self marking with this.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170112/4e5faecb01c344510faf919438d79d1d.jpg

I don't mark it the full way around like the training balls. I mark half circles either side of the ball.
It works better than a single line for alignment but it's more for watching how I'm rolling the ball. If the lines not getting a big wobble I know I'm rolling it ok.
I only realign if it's a short breaker or have to mark so not stepping on someone's line.

YonexMan
20th January 2017, 02:47 PM
I used to mark the ball with a line for putting. But since finding a putter that I can actually aim properly, I've found that I putt better by not using a line on the ball and instead, I stand behind the ball and work out if there is any break to the putt. If there is, I work out what direction I need to start the ball off on, to allow for the break. Look at something on the green about 6 inches in front of the ball which is on my starting line. Then take my setup and putt straight away. I've found that not using the line on the ball and using the line on my putter makes me less concerned about aiming and more relaxed over the ball when I take my setup to putt. Which in turn has helped my putting. Not trying to be "too exact or overly accurate". Afterall, when you putt, there are a multitude of things that will and can cause the ball to go offline after you have started the ball in the direction you want. Doing this, I've found my long range putting to be a lot better and usually leave myself with a close tap in most times.

goughy
20th January 2017, 03:26 PM
I like to use an alignment squiggle! It matches my putting ability.

Lagerlover
20th January 2017, 06:33 PM
I always use the alignment that is always printed on the ball. Only for the first putt though and if I get within a couple of feet, I just continue putting.if I need to mark the ball after the first putt because of standing on someone else's line, I will then proceed to line up the putt again. Yep

mrbluu
20th January 2017, 09:26 PM
Why wouldn't u line up short 2nd putts as well, u don't care about make those???

Same. Will use it on 2nd putt if it's a birdie putt

So u only use it after u miss ur eagle putt???

I see some people use it when tee off too.

What's wrong with that??

Scifisicko
21st January 2017, 03:18 PM
I do it out of habit, but I read some compelling research recently that concluded not only did it not work, players missed more putts with lines than without.

Johnny Canuck
22nd January 2017, 12:04 AM
I do it out of habit, but I read some compelling research recently that concluded not only did it not work, players missed more putts with lines than without.

It got me out of a real shitty place a couple years ago. Worked great for me.

I still put a line on the ball, line it up, but don't really use it. It's just kind of my routine now.

If the line isn't perfectly line up, it doesn't bother me.

goughy
22nd January 2017, 11:25 AM
I could swear the old dude I was playing with this morning had a picasso marked on his ball - bloody lines everywhere, turning left and right and all over the place.

davepuppies
22nd January 2017, 08:04 PM
I use it on first putts where I have marked my ball.

My sense of perception is different over the ball vs behind, so it's handy to line up my putter to the alignment mark, and trust my first read. (Sometimes)

I won't realign if the second putt is inside 3 feet.

KristianJ
22nd January 2017, 08:23 PM
I'll generally use the alignment arrows on my Pro V1Xs in conjunction with the flange sight line on my putter.

Routine once I get to green is put marker down, plumb bob read whilst others are putting (and reposition ball if it's not in their way), then one practice stroke, address ball, etc. Sometimes I might realign ball for 2nd putt (for example, when I leave it a few feet short), but I don't think the routine I follow adds any undue time to pace of play.

Hatchman
23rd January 2017, 07:17 AM
I use it on first putts where I have marked my ball.

My sense of perception is different over the ball vs behind, so it's handy to line up my putter to the alignment mark, and trust my first read. (Sometimes)

I won't realign if the second putt is inside 3 feet.

I would be very surprised if this is not true for most people if not everyone.
That's partially why the multitude of sight lines or no sight lines on putters appeal to different people.

IanO
30th January 2017, 12:00 AM
I have a line on the ball mainly to help identify the ball. On longer putts I put the ball down with the line in the general direction and then have a look from behind to pick the spot I want to putt over. I don't think I actually look at the line on the ball as I putt

qbnchopper
30th January 2017, 08:27 PM
nup here. tried it but it felt too tecvhhnical for me

Sydney Hacker
31st January 2017, 06:27 AM
I go through phases of using it, putting better, before scrapping it. Then the cycle repeats. I do find it beneficial on fast down hill putts where you want to trust the line and put a decent stroke on it.

trev79
4th February 2017, 04:26 PM
Tried it once but felt that it was just easier to line up my putting line with the 2 ball putter.