PDA

View Full Version : What should be my first step?

PizzaBear
3rd January 2017, 06:23 PM
Sorry if this has been covered a million times before, just throw me a link if it has.

So I've been a casual player since being a kid, you know would play for a couple of months and go to the driving range with mates but never took it seriously.

Have just got over an injury that took me out of sport for a couple of years and now want to take more seriously, so my question is what is my first move to making myself a better player?

Do I get coaching? Do I get some properly fitted clubs? Do I just play as much as possible? A bit of everything?

This is what's currently in my bag, it's not in great shape, irons have some rust and what not on them as they were in a leaky shed for the last 2 years

Driver:
Callaway Hyper X

Fairway wood and Hybrid:
brosnan rippa

Irons:
TaylorMade tour burner
4-SW

Putter:
Cleveland something something milled

Thanks!

WBennett
3rd January 2017, 06:43 PM
I say a bit of everything.
Are you looking at joining a club?
Do you have time to spend on the range or do you prefer the variety that playing brings?

PizzaBear
3rd January 2017, 06:57 PM
Haven't thought about joining a club yet

I'm happy to spend time on the range

Money is the big factor in what i do here

Steve57
3rd January 2017, 07:33 PM
Go and get a lesson from a good coach.
Be honest with him and explain it exactly as you have done above.
Don't get sucked in to any more than say, three or four lessons initially and there should be at least a month between each so that you can work on what has been taught in the previous one.
You cannot rush these things and new swing movements/swing thoughts take time to become second nature.
Forget the thought of new equipment until you are comfortable with your ball striking, unless of course your coach says that your existing equipment is totally unsuitable. From your description above, as long as your clubs are standard length and you are not 8 foot tall they should see you through to at least a reasonable quality of play.
Just my thoughts but I have been playing for in excess of 45 years and that is how I would approach it.
And practice, practice, practice between lessons!

davepuppies
3rd January 2017, 08:11 PM
Yep, agree with STEVE.

Lessons first, then practice, then join a club, continue lessons and practice, and upgrade equipment once you have some stability in your ball flight, and you know what equipment you need to support your goals and tendencies

Lagerlover
3rd January 2017, 08:23 PM
.... admitting you have a problem

PizzaBear
3rd January 2017, 08:30 PM
Thanks everyone :D anywhere on this site where i can check out the best place to get coaching near me?

Also for ball striking my irons are pretty consistent and accurate, driver is AWWWWWWWWWWFUL

Clubs are standard length, I'm 6'3

3Puttpete
3rd January 2017, 08:33 PM
Stay away from that mob in Napier st.

Unless you're working on your tan of course

Steve57
3rd January 2017, 08:44 PM
Thanks everyone :D anywhere on this site where i can check out the best place to get coaching near me?

Also for ball striking my irons are pretty consistent and accurate, driver is AWWWWWWWWWWFUL

Clubs are standard length, I'm 6'3
https://www.pga.org.au/find-a-pga-pro

Once you locate a coach/coaches near you, ask the locals on the Forum for their recommendations.

PizzaBear
3rd January 2017, 08:46 PM
Thank you for the help sir

PerryGroves
4th January 2017, 05:31 AM
I don't disagree with Steve57 but also you need to get in the rhythm of playing regular golf. Standing on a practice tee hitting drivers and 5 irons is the reason people go to the course and can't score..............they have appalling short games and no real idea of course management.

Why not take up a RACV golf membership, will get you a handicap that allows you to play in open competitions, there seems like there are plenty of courses to pay (albeit it might involve some travel) and it's cheap.

https://www.racv.com.au/travel-leisure/racv-golf/sign-up-now.html

Steve57
4th January 2017, 05:45 AM
I don't disagree with Steve57 but also you need to get in the rhythm of playing regular golf. Standing on a practice tee hitting drivers and 5 irons is the reason people go to the course and can't score..............they have appalling short games and no real idea of course management.

Why not take up a RACV golf membership, will get you a handicap that allows you to play in open competitions, there seems like there are plenty of courses to pay (albeit it might involve some travel) and it's cheap.

Agreed. The practice, practice, practice that I mentioned should be a mix of driving range and on course play.

PizzaBear
4th January 2017, 07:04 AM

AWESOME! thanks i'll look into it. I play at least 1 round a week just with my dad at the moment anyway (2 if he isn't busy at work)

PizzaBear
4th January 2017, 10:16 AM
So just hit 100 balls, got my driver from unhittable to a consistent but rather severe fade, going to book in for an hour lesson next week

Grumpy8
4th January 2017, 04:43 PM
I agree with the guys above , don't get sucked into anything yet , even if you watch good players and copy what they do it will help , get some lessons and work on your game .
Get your driver working a bit more so it's a gentle fade same with your irons then spend a big chunk of time on your chipping pitching and putting.
A lot of clubs will do a package of lessons , bout 4, which works out a lot cheaper. If you are in SE Melbourne I can probably help you out with some info about clubs and golf pros

PizzaBear
4th January 2017, 04:58 PM
My irons are actually pretty straight and consistent (could do with extra distance) but my driver problem was i was trying to hit it like an iron

Ah damn I'm northern suburbs of Melbourne

Grumpy8
5th January 2017, 10:28 AM
Mga near dfo if you can get over that side is a good place for lessons and practice, golftec in the cbd could be another option they do deals on coaching , I play at beaconhills which is probably a bit far for you , I have heard that one of the pro at northern is pretty good

PizzaBear
5th January 2017, 10:52 AM
Booked in for an hour lesson next week at Riverside in essendon

http://www.rgtc.com.au/lessons/

PizzaBear
11th January 2017, 11:38 AM
Just got back from my first lesson, WHAT A DIFFERENCE AN HOUR MAKES!!!

Just basic grip and swing changes and everything going long and straight

Grumpy8
11th January 2017, 11:46 AM
That's great , just a little hint , right down what you went thru in the lesson , make sure you understand what he was getting you to do and why .
In about a month or so if you find your game has gone to crap again it will because you have gone away from what you learnt , go back to your notes

PizzaBear
11th January 2017, 11:49 AM
It was change my grip so it was more neutral and swing back straighter rather than around my own body :D It was really minor tweaks to a huge difference