PDA

View Full Version : Anybody hurt their knee playing golf?

dowdsy
2nd January 2017, 10:28 AM
Hurt my knee at the range last Monday and then I played on Tuesday and Thursday and Saturday, probably not the best thing to do but well when the handbrake says go play golf you just have to. One week later it still hurts a little bit and swelling going down, hurts mainly on the backswing and walking, around about 12 holes in, anyone done anything like this before?

goughy
2nd January 2017, 10:37 AM
Mine hurt when I play, but nothing due to golf! Knees suck by the way.

backintheswing
2nd January 2017, 11:01 AM
I am a knee expert. Where is the pain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dowdsy
2nd January 2017, 11:14 AM
Pain is on the inside of my right knee so left leg, little bit swollen there to, no bruising hurts to kneel on it.

3Puttpete
2nd January 2017, 11:48 AM
Pain is on the inside of my right knee so left leg

No wonder you're in pain

Johnny Canuck
2nd January 2017, 11:48 AM
I did something similar last year on our champs weekend, between drunken basketball and golf the following day.

Hurt to kneel, hurt to walk, pain was inside and back. Turned out to be a partially torn meniscus.

dowdsy
2nd January 2017, 11:53 AM
I did something similar last year on our champs weekend, between drunken basketball and golf the following day.

Hurt to kneel, hurt to walk, pain was inside and back. Turned out to be a partially torn meniscus.
That's what Dr google tells me, how long did it take to heal Johnny?

Johnny Canuck
2nd January 2017, 11:59 AM
That's what Dr google tells me, how long did it take to heal Johnny?

After 3+ months of thinking it was minor and would heal on its own, I went and saw a mate who is a physio.

We managed to strengthen it enough so that I could avoid surgery, but my knee still clicks every time i extend it. A lot of the rehab was things that I'd do at home while watching tv, so it wasn't bad at all.

I've started playing ice hockey about 5+ months afterwards, and am running again pain free after 7-8 months.

The entire process would have been much quicker had I gotten it checked right away; I just didn't think it was that bad.

goughy
2nd January 2017, 01:09 PM
I tore mine filling in for my daughters mixed indoor netball team. Mine is right knee as well, inside. Naturally I played on it again the following week! Ended up at physio who asked if I ever had it scanned. So unlike me decided to do something about it! Once the doc got in there he discovered the whole knee was ****ed. He fixed the tear which was a lateral meniscus tear that had folded back on itself. But turned out there was much much more going on I didn't know about.

Really, not long after the soreness from the repaired tear was much much better. It's the other stuff that's been the killer. It hasn't been a bother with my swing, and a few sessions at the DR seemed to not bother it. Maybe if it was left knee it would be different. But it's the walking and pulling/pushing my bag with the hills that's been the killer.

Like JC, I know a few people who are dead set against jumping into the surgery route, and would recommend physio etc first. I wouldn't beat around the bush getting started with something, whether physio or surgery. Knees really do suck and you don't wanna treat it lightly. Get it sorted one way or the other!

Hard_Pan
2nd January 2017, 01:52 PM
Pain on the inside of your knee sounds like a strained medial ligament. Probably bent, twisted or propped on your left knee a bit wrong. Ligaments take a while to get better.

backintheswing
2nd January 2017, 01:58 PM
Medial rubs down the outside of the knee

olddogmike
2nd January 2017, 03:02 PM
Tore the meniscus in my left knee 3 years ago. I had the keyhole surgery to fix it. It took 4-5 months to feel ok, but took 12 months to feel like it was twinge free. I occasionally get a bit of soreness but it doesn't last long.

Johnny Canuck
2nd January 2017, 03:19 PM
Medial rubs down the outside of the knee

Medial = middle. It's the inside of the knee

goughy
2nd January 2017, 03:45 PM
I knee\nae believe any of us know what we're talking about!

Ferrins
2nd January 2017, 05:41 PM
Hurt mine getting a massage, still ginger two weeks later. I think the muscle bound Chinese masseuse missunderstood me. When he hit a sensitive spot and I muttered f<>k me.

backintheswing
2nd January 2017, 06:01 PM
Medial = middle. It's the inside of the knee

Yeah I meant to say medial colateral ligament and it goes down the inside of the knee. I know as I tore mine right through when I tore my ACL as well in a motorbike accident.

The Op got me confused with his right knee left leg stuff. [emoji106]

Yossarian
2nd January 2017, 06:04 PM
Goughy you filled in on a kids netball team?

Lagerlover
2nd January 2017, 09:16 PM
Goughy you filled in on a kids netball team? Twice

goughy
2nd January 2017, 10:24 PM
Yep. My daughter and some of her school mates have a team playing mixed indoor adults league. They couldn't get a fill in. I payed the large price, granted the issue that's benched me wasnt what I went to the doc for and didn't happen at netball.

Yossarian
3rd January 2017, 12:08 PM
I see, I read that as you filled in to play against another kids team...

rubin
3rd January 2017, 12:32 PM

After 3+ months of thinking it was minor and would heal on its own, I went and saw a mate who is a physio.

We managed to strengthen it enough so that I could avoid surgery, but my knee still clicks every time i extend it. A lot of the rehab was things that I'd do at home while watching tv, so it wasn't bad at all.

I've started playing ice hockey about 5+ months afterwards, and am running again pain free after 7-8 months.

The entire process would have been much quicker had I gotten it checked right away; I just didn't think it was that bad.

Lucky.

I tore mine in my right knee completely when I was 17, had to go for surgery and a 12 week recover period.

Did it again (same knee) about 5/6yrs later. Now I have almost no cartilage left in my right knee, and have been told to expect fairly sever arthritis by the time I’m 50-ish.

Hard_Pan
3rd January 2017, 07:41 PM
Now I have almost no cartilage left in my right knee, and have been told to expect fairly sever arthritis by the time I’m 50-ish.
Or a knee replacement. I'm there already.

nadg63
3rd January 2017, 09:49 PM
Or a knee replacement. I'm there already.

Make sure it is the last resort H_P, no turning back once it is done - as I am now well aware! As you know my case isn't straightforward, (10th Op, no knee-cap etc), but it has been nearly 12 months now since my replacement, Jan 19th, and mine is still giving me hell, cannot take any side loading at all :( I had no option really about getting mine done, if I'd left it I'd probably hardly be able to walk at all by now.

Hard_Pan
3rd January 2017, 10:02 PM
Make sure it is the last resort H_P, no turning back once it is done - as I am now well aware! As you know my case isn't straightforward, (10th Op, no knee-cap etc), but it has been nearly 12 months now since my replacement, Jan 19th, and mine is still giving me hell, cannot take any side loading at all :( I had no option really about getting mine done, if I'd left it I'd probably hardly be able to walk at all by now.I really feel for you Nadg. Like you, as long as I can still walk I will avoid.