PDA

View Full Version : Confused

Collis
27th December 2016, 03:15 PM
I started getting lessons some time ago. (I purchased a package to cut my handicap by a third)

Basically I was on 14, had a vicious slice and couldn't chip.

We agreed to change everything (my baseball grip), swing, everything.

I've gone through patches of great golf, but lots of rubbish.
Numerous times I've turned up to golf and froze on the tee as I couldn't remember how to swing the club.

I can not hit a driver anymore, literally can not hit it.
Either duff it into the rough or low duck hooks.

What annoys me is I still scratch it about on 14 as I play a short course.
I play with 30 handicappers who can hit a driver off the tee and I have no idea.

I have a lesson weekly and basically when things start to go well, we change something else.
Should I keep persevering?
I've tossed up numerous time about giving golf away, but not much else I can do with my failing body.

Any thoughts as to what I should do next.

JADO75
27th December 2016, 03:31 PM
Get on the piss

Collis
27th December 2016, 03:34 PM
Get on the piss

Tried that only gets worse.

thecollective
27th December 2016, 04:18 PM
shooting lower scores is not something you can buy or choose - it happens through persistence, patience and most important practice

lessons also do not guarantee an improvement - sadly I have learnt the hard way with that. I get far more value and improvement out of my local un-qualified pro shop coach then the $500 I spent with a top 50 Golf Digest AAA coach who tried to re-build my swing from scratch. Taken me two years to shake all that off.

If you have a big a slice your probably doing what the vast majority of golfers do and that is go over the top with your swing.

There are so many free lessons and tutes on youtube - do your research; try a few things and you will be pleasantly surprised how you can improve on your own.

Good luck

Collis
27th December 2016, 04:20 PM
shooting lower scores is not something you can buy or choose - it happens through persistence, patience and most important practice

lessons also do not guarantee an improvement - sadly I have learnt the hard way with that. I get far more value and improvement out of my local un-qualified pro shop coach then the $500 I spent with a top 50 Golf Digest AAA coach who tried to re-build my swing from scratch. Taken me two years to shake all that off.

If you have a big a slice your probably doing what the vast majority of golfers do and that is go over the top with your swing.

There are so many free lessons and tutes on youtube - do your research; try a few things and you will be pleasantly surprised how you can improve on your own.

Good luck

Thanks for the advise.
Problem is I'm 4 years in and basically in no mans land.
I can not remember my old swing, and I just can't get anything to work, maybe some GU irons will do the trick lol

thecollective
27th December 2016, 04:23 PM
you're off 14 so its not all doom and gloom

This guy makes understanding your swing SO MUCH EASIER:

PS: do not buy shovels - all they will do is put band aids on your swing and get away with making more mistakes hence build complacency

https://www.youtube.com/user/paulwilsongolf

thecollective
27th December 2016, 04:32 PM
this one is perfect for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4vz9q0wff0&index=5&list=PLboe2jC7amAxK8lRyrHPwvaxT2ws5UB1o

Captain Nemo
27th December 2016, 05:11 PM
Weekly lessons are a waste of time IMO,you need time to work on what you've been told....

Collis
27th December 2016, 05:22 PM
this one is perfect for you:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4vz9q0wff0&index=5&list=PLboe2jC7amAxK8lRyrHPwvaxT2ws5UB1o Thanks

Courty
27th December 2016, 05:47 PM
If it's that bad and you're getting weekly lessons I think you need to find a different coach.

LarryLong
27th December 2016, 06:33 PM
Have a break from the lessons and see where it leaves you. Just stop thinking about the action of swinging the club for a while and play with the swing you have on the day. If you're playing off 14 with a failing body and you can't hit a driver you must have something going for you.

If your game mysteriously improves, feel free to send your lesson money to me. :)

Grumpy8
27th December 2016, 06:58 PM
I am with captain nemo , once a month should be enough for lessons , my coach says 100 swings a day for six months to groove in a major swing change .Which you can do in your garage without a ball .So there is no way you can be on top of any change after a week .
I would have already done what courty suggested , sounds like you are his super package .
I gave the game away because of a snap hook , Its time you never get back , give up your coach before you give up golf .
PGA pro's have a rating find a 'AAA' rated coach ,
fix your chipping first as this should involve shoulder turn as opposed to arm swing and wrist action which will give you the basis to making a good swing at the ball with your driver.
It can be done I started a major swing change 2 yrs ago with the help of a AAA pga coach , I couldn't get below 10 (ga), at first I drifted out to 12 but am now down to 7.9 and I am a short fat old guy

3oneday
27th December 2016, 08:28 PM
I thought you were off 30, your current golflink doesn't work.

Collis
27th December 2016, 08:41 PM
Have a break from the lessons and see where it leaves you. Just stop thinking about the action of swinging the club for a while and play with the swing you have on the day. If you're playing off 14 with a failing body and you can't hit a driver you must have something going for you.

If your game mysteriously improves, feel free to send your lesson money to me. :)

Went and got some balls before after watching a few videos, driver got off the ground which is a start.
Lessons cancelled until further notice.

Collis
27th December 2016, 08:44 PM
I am with captain nemo , once a month should be enough for lessons , my coach says 100 swings a day for six months to groove in a major swing change .Which you can do in your garage without a ball .So there is no way you can be on top of any change after a week .
I would have already done what courty suggested , sounds like you are his super package .
I gave the game away because of a snap hook , Its time you never get back , give up your coach before you give up golf .
PGA pro's have a rating find a 'AAA' rated coach ,
fix your chipping first as this should involve shoulder turn as opposed to arm swing and wrist action which will give you the basis to making a good swing at the ball with your driver.
It can be done I started a major swing change 2 yrs ago with the help of a AAA pga coach , I couldn't get below 10 (ga), at first I drifted out to 12 but am now down to 7.9 and I am a short fat old guy

I think my current coach is AAA,
I think at times he's being over pedantic, I just want a workable swing not perfect .
I do like the advise of 100 swings per day.

Collis
27th December 2016, 08:45 PM
I thought you were off 30, your current golflink doesn't work.

Forgot Joined Royal last week, my golf link numver has been updated.
GA 16.4 which is 14 on my current course

BUSHY
27th December 2016, 08:53 PM
All good advice. I always come back to this series of vids that someone from here posted a few years ago. Coupled with the smash bag, chip stick and a copy of Hogans 5 Lessons, I feel now as I'm coming back from a bit of a break I can get back to where I was a few years ago.

https://youtu.be/daizvuvZw1s

davepuppies
28th December 2016, 10:27 AM
Don't over analyse the swing, just learn to get it in the hole.

Lee trevino said you have to dance with you you bring to the prom.

if you have a slice, learn to manage that around the course, or chip away marginally to make it a workable fade.

Go and hit some balls with out any swing thoughts, no attachment to the outcome, and see what your natural flight is. Then work your game around that.

JADO75
28th December 2016, 04:21 PM
Learn the old ball flight laws (not the new you have to have an open face to hit a draw crap) to get an understanding of why a ball goes where it goes. Once you know why it went there you can fix it on the run while playing.

BUSHY
28th December 2016, 04:27 PM
Learn the old ball flight laws (not the new you have to have an open face to hit a draw crap) to get an understanding of why a ball goes where it goes. Once you know why it went there you can fix it on the run while playing.

Open to what? You can have a face open to target as long as it's closed to the path.

3oneday
28th December 2016, 04:53 PM
Thanks Raz's.

davepuppies
28th December 2016, 07:24 PM
Open to what? You can have a face open to target as long as it's closed to the path.

Yep. To hit a push draw it is necessary to have a face open to target, but closed to club path.

The new ball flight laws make sense to me.

BUSHY
28th December 2016, 07:38 PM
Yep. To hit a push draw it is necessary to have a face open to target, but closed to club path.

The new ball flight laws make sense to me.

I agree however some people make it waaaaay too complicated. Thanks to coaches like Steve Bann above as well as social media guys like Andrew Rice, Joseph Mayo and Martin Chuck who have, imo, made it simple for every golfer to understand.

Rice and Mayo in particular are very good people to follow on twitter or Instagram.

JADO75
28th December 2016, 09:15 PM
I'm with you, I just think the old school way of thinking in regards to ball flight laws are much easier to get your head around.

JADO75
28th December 2016, 09:15 PM
Thanks Raz's.

Cunny funt

mrbluu
28th December 2016, 10:15 PM
I started getting lessons some time ago. (I purchased a package to cut my handicap by a third)

Basically I was on 14, had a vicious slice and couldn't chip.

We agreed to change everything (my baseball grip), swing, everything.

I've gone through patches of great golf, but lots of rubbish.
Numerous times I've turned up to golf and froze on the tee as I couldn't remember how to swing the club.

I can not hit a driver anymore, literally can not hit it.
Either duff it into the rough or low duck hooks.

What annoys me is I still scratch it about on 14 as I play a short course.
I play with 30 handicappers who can hit a driver off the tee and I have no idea.

I have a lesson weekly and basically when things start to go well, we change something else.
Should I keep persevering?
I've tossed up numerous time about giving golf away, but not much else I can do with my failing body.

Any thoughts as to what I should do next.
If u don't understand what your coach is telling u, either get a new coach or give up the game or buy new stuff.

Being a 14 marker probably means u don't really understand the game. Get someone who understands the swing and the game to coach u....Even AAA coaches don't necessarily can explain the swing or explain the swing for u to understand it. Either way make a change.

I agree however some people make it waaaaay too complicated.
On the reverse side of things I people over simplify the golf and they are worse for it. Stupid shit like keep your head down, be confident and just keep accelerating the club head is all great in theory, but I'd u are completely out of position or aimed in the wrong direction that shit ain't going to help u.....

What I've learnt over the last couple of years, has helped me get to singles figures and stay there. If I had any sort of talent I could actually become a decent player....

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

davepuppies
30th December 2016, 08:38 AM
I'm with you, I just think the old school way of thinking in regards to ball flight laws are much easier to get your head around. I agree, and used this methodology all through my junior golf. The only difference is the face angle as starting point for ball.