PDA

View Full Version : How big is your variance round by round?

markvos
25th December 2016, 08:03 PM
I've become an avid golfer in the last 6-7 months. I bought clubs and went all in. Played 70+ rounds since June after playing only a round or two a year with rented clubs.

I've obviously improved quite significantly over this time from worse than a 36 handicap to now being under 20. The one thing that sort of seems crazy to me is I still shoot rounds that look that look like when I had almost no experience... which is a little embarrassing when I'm not playing alone!

I played great on Wednesday then I shot 23 shots worse on Thursday, and while this was an extreme example, it's not remotely an isolated occurrence... anyway I'm just wondering if I'm alone in my volatility or if this is normal?

LarryLong
25th December 2016, 08:15 PM
I think it's normal - or at least I have to keep telling myself that. I have 'played to' rounds between 11 and 30 in the last two years, and 16-27 in my last 20 rounds.

I think if you're still improving you are likely to have a large variance between days when you're on and days when you fall back into old habits.

Dotty
25th December 2016, 08:25 PM
23 shot is crap. *

* = mine is usually a swing of only 21 shots. :)

Come to think of it, my front and back nine often swing by 10 shots within a game.

markvos
25th December 2016, 08:27 PM
Haha, oddly I usually have very similar front and back 9's

Just some days my balls find the designated playing areas, and other days they do not, repeatedly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PerryGroves
26th December 2016, 07:04 AM
The variance is all relative to your starting point (handicap).

Off 20, you might go ten under for 46, equally a bad day is 23. I'm off a lower starting point, best I will do is a couple better 39 and a bad day is say 27, so half your variance.

Start using the shite days as an opportunity to grind out a 30 instead of a 23 and your handicap will come down.

markvos
26th December 2016, 08:51 AM
Is it standard for everyone to talk in stableford? It's seeming that way from a little lurking on the forum, but feels so unnatural to me at the moment.

Dotty
26th December 2016, 09:18 AM
Is it standard for everyone to talk in stableford? It's seeming that way from a little trolling on the forum, but feels so unnatural to me at the moment.

Stableford is the most relatable across a range of handicaps and abilities (and played in approx. 90% of club competitions).

It also smooths out the damaging effect of a few disastrous holes on the card, such as triple/quadruple bogeys.

Golf on TV uses stroke score as the professionals are all within a close range of ability. (And the producers/competitors want the triple bogeys to damage the cards of their opposition.)

Under stableford, you will probably find that your range of scores may only be 15-17 shots different, as it would treat your occasional '5 over par' more like a '2 over par'.

Courty
26th December 2016, 09:48 AM
There's 14 shots between my best & worst rounds at my home course in 2016.

JADO75
26th December 2016, 09:58 AM
I still can't believe men can have a hcp higher than 27

Dotty
26th December 2016, 10:04 AM
There's 14 shots between my best & worst rounds at my home course in 2016.
18 shots difference at home for me this year.

Will Solarman or Monsta break the 30 barrier for their annual range?

3Puttpete
26th December 2016, 12:26 PM
16.4 difference in played to scores at home.

peter_rs
26th December 2016, 10:00 PM
13.8 difference highest to low playing of 12

coalesce
27th December 2016, 03:19 AM
Interesting. Only 11.9 difference off a smidgen under 19. Thought it would be higher

LarryLong
27th December 2016, 10:40 AM
Interesting. Only 11.9 difference off a smidgen under 19. Thought it would be higher

I'm off a similar handicap and my last 20 rounds only has a difference of 11. I thought this was a good thing, but then I realised I'm more consistent this year because I'm not having random burglar rounds anymore - I haven't beat my handicap all year.

markvos
28th December 2016, 07:54 AM
I'm off a similar handicap and my last 20 rounds only has a difference of 11. I thought this was a good thing, but then I realised I'm more consistent this year because I'm not having random burglar rounds anymore - I haven't beat my handicap all year.

Hehe yeah, I think when golfers (including me) say they want to be consistent what they actually mean is they want to play their best every day and not be their consistent mediocre self ;)

Toolish
28th December 2016, 08:09 AM
I play off 4-5.

Worst score at home course in the last 20 rounds is 28 points. Best is 39.

It took me 20 months to play those 20 rounds....I really need to get out there more!

davidw88
28th December 2016, 08:47 AM
My difference from highest to lowest played to in the last 20 is 15.6 mainly due to one real shocker without it the others there is only a 9 shot difference.

LeftyHoges
3rd January 2017, 11:14 AM
15 shot difference for me at home.

Jazz18
3rd January 2017, 01:12 PM
I still can't believe men can have a hcp higher than 27

I'm with you Jado. When I was a youngster going out with my Dad, 27 was the highest handicap a man could be given. I guess 36 just helps with participation levels by keeping/getting more players involved and being competitive.

My variation is 12.7 a my home track in the last 20 rounds. My GA is 9.7 at the mo.