PDA

View Full Version : That one club that always fail

tanax
6th December 2016, 04:42 PM
I'm new in golf, play for about a year. Shot around 100 :cry:.
Just wanted to know is it me or what, that I cannot hit a good 7 iron. I notice that when people start their golf, they start with 7 iron. I start with 8 iron. I can hit alright 8i or 6i but when i pull out my 7i, shank, fat, thin, top all sort of things coming out.
Was at Wembly GC on the weekend, and decided not to bring my 7i. Came across the issue 8i too short, 6i too long and missed the green. Frustrated :smt010

Is there anyone else out there have same kind of problem, that there is one club you can never get it to work properly??

wazamac
6th December 2016, 05:02 PM
Might be a problem with the length of the club.

I having problems with my 3 wood at the moment and sometimes just don't want to get it out of the bag. Be more of a confidence issue for me.

Dotty
6th December 2016, 05:04 PM
Nothing wrong with a 7 hybrid.

thecollective
6th December 2016, 05:11 PM
putter!

3Puttpete
6th December 2016, 05:19 PM
I'm new in golf, play for about a year. Shot around 100 :cry:.
Just wanted to know is it me or what, that I cannot hit a good 7 iron. I notice that when people start their golf, they start with 7 iron. I start with 8 iron. I can hit alright 8i or 6i but when i pull out my 7i, shank, fat, thin, top all sort of things coming out.
Was at Wembly GC on the weekend, and decided not to bring my 7i. Came across the issue 8i too short, 6i too long and missed the green. Frustrated :smt010

Is there anyone else out there have same kind of problem, that there is one club you can never get it to work properly??

What's worse, an 8 iron short or a 7 iron in trouble?

tanax
6th December 2016, 05:27 PM
Might be a problem with the length of the club.

I having problems with my 3 wood at the moment and sometimes just don't want to get it out of the bag. Be more of a confidence issue for me.

I'm thinking the confidence issue too, also thinking to cut my 7i down to 8i length.

Nothing wrong with a 7 hybrid.

Hey ! That might work, i love my 5 hybrid.

What's worse, an 8 iron short or a 7 iron in trouble?

Try to get to that no short and no trouble situation - looooooooooong way to go I guess.

9anddone
7th December 2016, 11:16 AM
Just buy a new driver, (and a new putter) that will take your mind off the 7i and fix everything.

thecollective
7th December 2016, 12:37 PM
Just buy a new driver, (and a new putter)

Done the putter bit....12 times!, turns out its just me and my ret*rd wrists

Getting back to the OP:
perhaps its the loft that is causing the issue, what in particular is happening when you hit your 7, too fat or thin? what is the ball flight like? have you tried re-positioning the ball in your stance?

tanax
7th December 2016, 01:39 PM
Done the putter bit....12 times!, turns out its just me and my ret*rd wrists

Getting back to the OP:
perhaps its the loft that is causing the issue, what in particular is happening when you hit your 7, too fat or thin? what is the ball flight like? have you tried re-positioning the ball in your stance?

I'm hitting too fat.
Was at the range yesterday hitting 100 balls with 7i. I'm thinking is the lie of the club, when I do normal stance with more heel lie, I get a bit of draw or hook it. At least I got a good contact.
hmm, maybe i should try out the ball position too.

mrbluu
7th December 2016, 01:57 PM
I'm hitting too fat.
Was at the range yesterday hitting 100 balls with 7i. I'm thinking is the lie of the club, when I do normal stance with more heel lie, I get a bit of draw or hook it. At least I got a good contact.
hmm, maybe i should try out the ball position too.
I was going to say if u are happy the 8 and 6 iron bit can't hit the 7, the lie angle, length or swing weight could be out.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

nadg63
11th December 2016, 06:36 PM
Here it is any hybrid I have owned, Cleveland x3, Adams x2, Nickent, - they all hate me! Probably psychological as i'm already thinking that 'this is the club that hates me' as I pull it out of the bag.

Grumpy8
11th December 2016, 08:23 PM
Here it is any hybrid I have owned, Cleveland x3, Adams x2, Nickent, - they all hate me! Probably psychological as i'm already thinking that 'this is the club that hates me' as I pull it out of the bag. Nadg63, I couldn't hit any hybrid either or fairway wood for that matter , since changing my swing , I was too inside to out and armsy ( club face closed ) I am now able to hit the odd decent hybrid

thecollective
12th December 2016, 09:57 AM
Nadg63, I couldn't hit any hybrid either or fairway wood for that matter , since changing my swing , I was too inside to out and armsy ( club face closed ) I am now able to hit the odd decent hybrid

Arguably the hardest club to control in the bag (hybrid) - no matter where you hit it on the club it flies, not the greatest thing when you're a mid capper.

Recently I have replaced my 4i with a 22 deg hybrid, I find that I can swing it slower and get the same distance as a flush 4i even if I miss it on the club a little left or right. The ball also lands much softer on greens as I was feeling a little ripped off from good 4i shots and having them flying off the back. I also carry a 2D iron so if the fairway is tight I can hit a low runner if required. Best of both worlds

Grumpy8
12th December 2016, 01:39 PM
Arguably the hardest club to control in the bag (hybrid) - no matter where you hit it on the club it flies, not the greatest thing when you're a mid capper.Recently I have replaced my 4i with a 22 deg hybrid, I find that I can swing it slower and get the same distance as a flush 4i even if I miss it on the club a little left or right. The ball also lands much softer on greens as I was feeling a little ripped off from good 4i shots and having them flying off the back. I also carry a 2D iron so if the fairway is tight I can hit a low runner if required. Best of both worldsThe pro I go to reckons they are a cheat stick cause they are so easy to use and forgiving , I tell him he has to be f''king joking .Am with you on the 4 hybrid 4 iron switch have done it also and for the same reasons

BUSHY
12th December 2016, 04:53 PM
Hybrid for me too. I've tried to give them a go for a long time. I keep going back to 2 and 3 irons. They're not as easy to flush but I don't get them going left like a rocket [emoji573] I know what I'll get with the irons. I've got a hybrid that I really really like but it's just too hit and miss and by miss I mean flushed 100m left.

wazamac
12th December 2016, 07:51 PM
Ditto, not carrying a hybrid at the moment.
In two weeks I might be when the irons start playing up next week.:wink:

tanax
13th December 2016, 06:37 PM
5 hybrid probably my fav club in the bag. Probably the only club in the bag i can feel I'm controlling the club not the other way around.

dhills2
18th December 2016, 05:59 PM
Bit harder to shape but my Adams Pro hybrids are by far my most consistent and forgiving clubs in my bag. My 588 wedges are the enemy at the moment so I'll probably just sell them [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thesloth96
2nd January 2017, 02:27 PM
Couldn't hit my 4 irons... so replaced it with a hybrid [emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lagerlover
2nd January 2017, 02:44 PM
... Hellfire. Again.

Everytime I go there I leave slightly uncomfortable.

davidw88
2nd January 2017, 06:19 PM
3 wood for me, usually end up hitting it in the shit somehow

mrbluu
2nd January 2017, 06:29 PM

PizzaBear
3rd January 2017, 03:47 PM
Cannot hit my driver, I either hook it terribly and it goes 50 meters or i smash it but it fades so far i end up 2 fairways over

Captain Nemo
3rd January 2017, 04:55 PM
... Hellfire. Again.

Everytime I go there I leave slightly uncomfortable.
If thats the case your not doing it right....

Lagerlover
3rd January 2017, 04:59 PM
If thats the case your not doing it right.... High pain threshold.. costing me a fortune.

Captain Nemo
3rd January 2017, 05:58 PM
High pain threshold.. costing me a fortune.
I'm hearing ya.... ;)

trev79
4th February 2017, 04:20 PM
Worst club for me is the fairway wood/3 wood. Would rather choke down on my driver off the tee and can never hit the 3w well off the deck on the fairway.

Kaniss
4th July 2017, 08:18 AM
3 Wood for me. Especially off the deck. Just can not hit it end of story. Lessons didn't help.

thecollective
4th July 2017, 11:08 AM
3 Wood for me. Especially off the deck. Just can not hit it end of story. Lessons didn't help.

Kaniss - have you tried a model with a deeper face and a stiffer shaft

I moved to the 3deep x-hot 13" and have never been more accurate - lower ball flight sure but lots of run and less time in the air means less chance of it going in the stink

Anthony
4th July 2017, 10:38 PM
I struggle with my 3 hybrid, even when I hit it well it only goes 180 meters while my 4 iron goes 175m and I'm much more consistent with it. On the other hand my 3 wood is my best club, I can consistently hit it straight 210 meters. It's an adams tight lies 3w which has a really thin face. I want to try a tight lies 5w but I haven't been able to find one in a regular flex shaft. It would be great if I hit it as well as the 3w and it went about 190-195 to bring the gap between my 3w and 4 iron.