PDA

View Full Version : New irons

3oneday
7th June 2006, 08:23 AM
Thinking of a purchase, wondering what my fellow ozgolfers have looked at recently that I am not including in my search....

My search is currently limited to something that doesn't resemble a butter knife, ala MB TP or Bridgey Cavs, I am interested to hear everyone thoughts, and why they think their choice is a goer.... The Topflites are good, but looking a bit ragged....

What sticks, and why !!! Ping lovers are also welcome ;)

Pete

BrisVegas
7th June 2006, 08:29 AM
Bridgestone J33 CB or combo are nice, as are the Titleist 755CB or 735CM.

I like the more durable finish on the forged stainless steel 735's, but that's only because I would want to keep them for a long time. Might not be such an issue for you.

Pings are always good and durable too! S59 aren't too ugly either.

3oneday
7th June 2006, 08:33 AM
that's only because I would want to keep them for a long time. Might not be such an issue for you.i'm trying :oops:

Matt 3 Jab
7th June 2006, 08:34 AM
If you want something thats a bit chunky, the x-tour's would be the way to go. Dont look too bad, but aren't knifey either.
Or some fusions. Callaway might be your go.

Jarro
7th June 2006, 08:35 AM
The Topflites are good, but looking a bit ragged....

.. such a good reason to look for new irons :roll:

Bloody Ho !!!!!

get some Codrals and have some lessons instead :razz:

Jono
7th June 2006, 08:45 AM
Try the Kenneth Smith Nearnet Forged irons. I have no idea what the difference between forged and nearnet forged is, but it feels soft yet solid.

I got these because I was starting to hit some big hooks with the Oxygens. I wanted less offset, thinner topline, but I still wanted forgiveness. I am very happy with these so far. You can get the heads only for about US$60 on ebay and the shipping is $50. Shaft/grip of your choice and you have a set of very solid yet forgiving irons.

Here is a listing of these on ebay. I think the seller has quite a few of these up for sale.

Kenneth Smith Heads (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2006-KENNETH-SMITH-NEARNET-FORGED-IRON-HEADS-3-PW_W0QQitemZ7246496906QQcategoryZ83025QQtcZphotoQQ cmdZViewItem)

The specs were pretty much right on. When Gary was assembling these, he commented that these looked like quality heads. He was basing this on the construction of the hosels, tight specs, finish, etc.

I personally don't try to work the ball, but these look like a player's club at address with thin topline and the sole has a nice camber that plays well off tight lies as well as fluffy lies.

The only reason you may not want to get these is the crappy resale value. But when you are only spending around $300 to assemble a set, you don't lose out much even if you don't like it. 8)

Ducky
7th June 2006, 09:45 AM
Um... Nike Pro Combo?

Toolish
7th June 2006, 09:49 AM
Cally Fusions are pretty solid...for shovels :D

3oneday
7th June 2006, 09:56 AM
Cally Fusions are pretty solid...for shovels :Dfunny you say that, just came back from hitting some. They didn't appear to me to be as wide across the topline as the X tour :shock: and they come standard with a Nippon 990, felt pretty good.

Courty
7th June 2006, 11:18 AM
I'm with Dion. My regular playing partner has a set of Titty 735CM's and they are sweeeet!

Designed as a seamlessly blended set, Titleist Forged 735 CM irons have continuity in performance and aesthetics for a fluid transition from long to short irons. Progressive blade heights, blade lengths, offset, topline, center of gravity and moment of inertia allow each club to perform to Tour level standards, no matter what shot is required.

http://www.golfsmith.com/images/ti735_inset1.jpg

connico
7th June 2006, 11:29 AM
Go the kenneth smiths, I'm all with jono for this one, freaking excellent heads, esp since they came from raven!

If not then go the CG4s, awesome club, just abit chunky for me and they arnt that costly too.

andylo
7th June 2006, 11:30 AM
I say any iron by Tom Wishon.

Toolish
7th June 2006, 11:40 AM
funny you say that, just came back from hitting some. They didn't appear to me to be as wide across the topline as the X tour :shock: and they come standard with a Nippon 990, felt pretty good.

I hit some a while back at a demo day for a joke, and loved the forgiveness, vey pleasant suprise. The ones I hit had graphite shafts.

The topline is reasonably nice, just not sure about the plastic part in the cavity...looks tacky and not sure how it would look in a year or two, may not concern you though!!

If I was on the market for irons these would be up there.

3oneday
7th June 2006, 11:48 AM
that's only because I would want to keep them for a long time. Might not be such an issue for you

not sure how it would look in a year or two, may not concern you though!!

I can see a pattern appearing here !!! :p

:lol:

Ducky
7th June 2006, 11:48 AM
There is a demo day at Moore Park next Wednesday for Cobra, Ping, and Titleist.

Just in case you are wondering!

3oneday
7th June 2006, 11:49 AM
There is a demo day at Moore Park next Wednesday for Cobra, Ping, and Titleist.

Just in case you are wondering!Thanks Duck, I think they have some out a bit wester, will check some out.

Pete

Ducky
7th June 2006, 12:10 PM
I am wondering, if I request to swing a regular graphite shaft, and then snap it, is that my fault or theirs?

gazgolf1
7th June 2006, 01:27 PM
Nike Pro Combo OS look pretty cool.

Fishman Dan
7th June 2006, 08:51 PM
You missed some Ping ISI's the other night on eBay... went for $305! Bride of Frankenstein by look, but popular clubs. Rarely come up locally.

ben
7th June 2006, 09:05 PM
Pete, I got a set of Wishon 752tc's cheap and a set of Wishon Blades (almost new) very cheap.

Also have the new Nak NP1 v2 irons coming in a week or so, thinner topline :) and the NX-1 which is a bigger version of the NP1

3oneday
7th June 2006, 09:09 PM
Pete, I got a set of Wishon 752tc's cheap and a set of Wishon Blades (almost new) very cheap.

Also have the new Nak NP1 v2 irons coming in a week or so, thinner topline :) and the NX-1 which is a bigger version of the NP1this ad was brought to you by ........ :p

ben
7th June 2006, 09:09 PM
this ad was brought to you by ........ :p

last time you ever get anything at cost.

3oneday
7th June 2006, 09:10 PM
last time you ever get anything at cost.hey, I bumped your ad to the top of the page :p

Jarro
7th June 2006, 09:20 PM
stick with the Top-Flites you knob :p

3oneday
7th June 2006, 09:21 PM
stick with the Top-Flites you knob :pshuddup :p

kwantfm
7th June 2006, 09:46 PM
Mizuno MP-60

You didn't like the TMs???

Pinglauncher
7th June 2006, 10:18 PM
stick with the Top-Flites you knob :p

Had this exact conversation on Sunday. The big guys words were "I'll stck with the Toppies" He hit them really well at Glenmore.

goughy
8th June 2006, 07:13 AM
Get the pings. At least you know you won't wear them out or have to change them for years and years....

(Too self) Doh... Look who your talking to! The most butter soft of blades would hardly get a scratch on them before he's asking this question again...

3oneday
8th June 2006, 07:33 AM
(Too self) Doh... Look who your talking to! The most butter soft of blades would hardly get a scratch on them before he's asking this question again...see reply to Jarro :p

miro
8th June 2006, 08:06 AM
funny you say that, just came back from hitting some. They didn't appear to me to be as wide across the topline as the X tour :shock: and they come standard with a Nippon 990, felt pretty good.

Pete,

As you know I have the Fusions. They are not shovels. From top down they present with the thinest top line of the Cally range and have little offset (which appears to have no effect i.e. I can't think of a hook I have hit with mine).

I will go out on a limb and say I will not own another set of irons. They are easy to hit, easy to shape and feel brilliant. Whilst they are expensive they are the best irons I have ever played by such a large margin it is ridiculous.

3oneday
8th June 2006, 08:10 AM
I will go out on a limb and say I will not own another set of irons. They are easy to hit, easy to shape and feel brilliant. Whilst they are expensive they are the best irons I have ever played by such a large margin it is ridiculous.Thanks Paul, I was wondering where the hell you were :lol: I thought the Fusion alert would have been ringing loudly !!!!

My brothers Fusions are arriving today, he can't use steel shafts any longer so he has sent me his to try .... pretty good timing one could say ;)

Pete

Jarro
8th June 2006, 08:11 AM
if you stick with the Fusions, make sure you carry some glue around with you ...... those dashboard pieces in the cavity look like they might fly loose at any second :shock:

3oneday
8th June 2006, 08:13 AM
if you stick with the Fusions, make sure you carry some glue around with you ...... those dashboard pieces in the cavity look like they might fly loose at any second :shock:yeah yeah, watch the balls on your putter don't come loose too :p

My bro has had them for 12 months, I am sure if any had their dashs missing he would have told me :lol:

Jono
8th June 2006, 08:37 AM
My brothers Fusions are arriving today, he can't use steel shafts any longer so he has sent me his to try .... pretty good timing one could say ;)

You don't feel that you should be going to graphites? ;) :twisted:

terryand
8th June 2006, 08:41 AM
Just go and get some chunky ar$e cast cavities, Grandpa :-s

Terry.

connico
8th June 2006, 10:53 AM
Darn thats a nice car in your avatar pic!!, shelby cobra???...****!!

regardless, go the graphite for sure!!!

terryand
8th June 2006, 10:59 AM
Darn thats a nice car in your avatar pic!!, shelby cobra???...****!!

regardless, go the graphite for sure!!!

Thats my "when I turn into an old man"project :smt112

I would like to start it before I turn 50 :???:

Terry.

BrisVegas
8th June 2006, 11:06 AM
Thats my "when I turn into an old man"project :smt112

I would like to start it before I turn 50 :???:

Terry.

Hehehe. Nice choice. Seeing as I'm banned from motorbikes now, my "when I turn into an old man" project is gonna be a Lotus 7 replica (Caterham or similar). I'll have a crack at building it myself from a kit.

Hope you get to have yours!

macleod
8th June 2006, 11:15 AM
cleveland ta7's, you know you wanna ;)

i'm loving 'em, and with some sensicores in them the feel at impact is buttery and solid. it's personal bias but they just feel great and are good to look at.

jimandr
8th June 2006, 10:23 PM
The really sensible thing to do is wait until the Golf Expo in July (I think, but I haven't seen any publicity about it for a while), and have a hit of everything on offer.

I think I'll do that, although I'm not really in the market for new irons yet.

3oneday
8th June 2006, 10:25 PM
The really sensible thing to do is wait until the Golf Expo in July (I think, but I haven't seen any publicity about it for a while), and have a hit of everything on offer.

I think I'll do that, although I'm not really in the market for new irons yet.That's a sensible idea Jim.... :roll:

Had a hit with the Cally Fusions tonight, Nippon 990 Uniflex steel in them. I will possibly take them with me on Sunday for a hit, but they weren't doing it for me that much.

Pete

Jarro
9th June 2006, 06:39 AM
$5 says you take the TopFiltes instead ;)

3oneday
9th June 2006, 08:32 AM
$5 says you take the TopFiltes instead ;)yeah yeah, maybe just a few of them ;)

Anyone seen the Tour Edge Exotics in person, the EX-1 iron ???
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/7523/touredge11yz.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

They come fitted with the Nippon GH950 and Dual Durometer grips, sound interesting (not sure on resale though hey :p )

Pete

3oneday
9th June 2006, 11:58 AM
OK, then there were two:

695CB

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/4926/695cb11yt.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

MP60

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/9255/mp604cp.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Any opinions ????

Pete

McMw
9th June 2006, 12:01 PM
having compared them side by side at address, I prefer the smaller look of the MP60...
the titleist has too much offset for my liking...

BrisVegas
9th June 2006, 12:02 PM
Both nice mate. Maybe the MP60's. They're getting good raps. Although I suspect the Titleists might be a touch more forgiving, ie. bigger & more offset.

What shafts in them?

miro
9th June 2006, 12:02 PM
The Mizzies are about as forgiving as you can expect from semi blades -i.e. not really.

The 695cb's are virtually the same as my old 690.cb's and again not that forgiving -I also strugled with the sole shape -they were at best poor out of the rough.

I am really surprised about your thoughts on the Fusions and wonder if it relates to the Nippon shafts (mine are custom fitted DGS300 -yep custom order for DG's?). What didn;t you like about them?

3oneday
9th June 2006, 12:19 PM
I am really surprised about your thoughts on the Fusions and wonder if it relates to the Nippon shafts (mine are custom fitted DGS300 -yep custom order for DG's?). What didn't you like about them?Miro,

Nail on the head mate, 99 gram shafts, I'm not as old as I thought ;). I am going to hit them again tomorrow in the daylight just to see, but they gave me nothing. Similar ball flight to the 775CB I used, ie, very high.

McMw, given that the MP60 has more offset than the 695CB, I might take your comment with a grain of salt ;) The 695CB has the same offset as the MB and the 660.

Bris, interested in the head size comparison.... any further info here ?? my only misgiving about the MP60 is I wasn't taken by the wedge and 9 iron shape, they really looked out of whack with the rest of the set.

Pete

BrisVegas
9th June 2006, 12:23 PM
Bris, interested in the head size comparison.... any further info here ?? my only misgiving about the MP60 is I wasn't taken by the wedge and 9 iron shape, they really looked out of whack with the rest of the set.

Pete
I haven't had them side by side. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed that the 695s were a touch bigger. I could be getting confused with the 735's too.

3oneday
9th June 2006, 12:24 PM
I haven't had them side by side. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed that the 695s were a touch bigger. I could be getting confused with the 735's too.I once put the 735 up against the bridgey combo, 9 iron it was. The 735 was tiny in comparison.

I quite like oversized... like the TopFlites ;)

Pete

BrisVegas
9th June 2006, 12:25 PM
My search is currently limited to something that doesn't resemble a butter knife, ala MB TP or Bridgey Cavs...

Haven't you narrowed it down to 2 irons that are pretty much butter knives???

McMw
9th June 2006, 12:26 PM
hmmm...maybe I was looking at a different titleist at the proshop... :lol:
will check later on...

BrisVegas
9th June 2006, 12:27 PM
I once put the 735 up against the bridgey combo, 9 iron it was. The 735 was tiny in comparison.

I quite like oversized... like the TopFlites ;)

Pete
I like oversized too mate, esp. the long irons. see my sig below!

Short irons though, I can live with compact blades.

3oneday
9th June 2006, 12:31 PM
Haven't you narrowed it down to 2 irons that are pretty much butter knives???This is what I am trying to establish.... are they butter knives...

See, I think the TP MB were butter knives, the Bridgey CB's were butter knives, but both are butter knives in the 3 iron and 4 iron, I could have hit say the 5 or 7 iron no probs.

I personally didn't think the MP32 were butter knives, I quite liked it's 3 iron because it still had some size about it.

Maybe now you are sensing my confusion :)

Pete

Toolish
9th June 2006, 01:21 PM
Buy the MP60's...and I have first dibs on them when you are looking to sell!

Seriously...having hit both I found the 60's more forgiving...maybe I was having an off day with the Titties though?

Courty
9th June 2006, 01:28 PM
See, I think the TP MB were butter knives, the Bridgey CB's were butter knives, but both are butter knives in the 3 iron and 4 iron, I could have hit say the 5 or 7 iron no probs.

So get the TP Combo's (like mine) They are a sweet set of irons.

3oneday
9th June 2006, 02:06 PM
Seriously...having hit both I found the 60's more forgiving...maybe I was having an off day with the Titties though?so you've hit the 695CB ??

Pete

Toolish
9th June 2006, 02:36 PM
Yeah...hit em at a demo day...just a 6 iron with a DG shaft.

Hit em back to back with the MB. The CB was not that forgiving compared to the MB I found...like I said, may have just been a bad day? Want another hit of em at some point to make a better judgement.

Jarro
9th June 2006, 02:46 PM
X-18's with Superlite shafts :p

you know you wanna old man ;)

PRC
9th June 2006, 03:03 PM
I've always liked the Apex FTX and the MP60s. Just haven't liked the $$$ they cost.

perci
10th June 2006, 01:47 PM
It dosn't matter what you get Pete you'll only keep them a week.

BrisVegas
10th June 2006, 01:50 PM
hello pot???? this is kettle calling.....

3oneday
10th June 2006, 02:02 PM
hello pot???? this is kettle calling.....its a retribution post cause of my crack about his 400 Cleve driver :p

I can cope.... :lol:

Jarro
10th June 2006, 02:08 PM
fine for both of you to have a laugh...

.. but i'm the bloke that has to dish out the therapy when the newest toy doesn't work :roll: :p

BrisVegas
10th June 2006, 02:13 PM
fine for both of you to have a laugh...

.. but i'm the bloke that has to dish out the therapy when the newest toy doesn't work :roll: :p

quit moaning... You love it when Perci gives you a bit of therapy. Speaking of which, did anyone see the Prison Break cell ***** get even???!!! :shock:

perci
10th June 2006, 03:19 PM
As iv'e always said I can afford to change my golf clubs but not my women.

By the way iv'e had my powerbilt's for three mounths now.

3oneday
10th June 2006, 04:53 PM
By the way iv'e had my powerbilt's for three mounths now.I've had my wedges 18 months :p :p :p :p

3oneday
10th June 2006, 07:22 PM
.. but i'm the bloke that has to dish out the therapy when the newest toy doesn't work :roll: :psook :p

Purchase has been made..... standby for a trip down memory lane !!!!

Jarro
10th June 2006, 07:23 PM
Callaway Big Berthas :p

3oneday
10th June 2006, 07:26 PM
Callaway Big Berthas :pwell, you did say you wanted some ;)

Jarro
10th June 2006, 07:29 PM
at least the centre of the faces won't have any marks on them ;)

can you put pop-up marks on irons ???? :lol:

3oneday
10th June 2006, 07:30 PM
I put pop-up marks on all my ironstakes special talent ;)

Jarro
10th June 2006, 07:33 PM
takes special talent ;)

i'm sure it does :mrgreen: