PDA

View Full Version : Fly repellant

pt73
4th December 2016, 02:46 PM
Any suggestions for something that works for longer than 10 minutes, bloody things drove me nutty yesterday.

Tried Aerogard Tropical and Aldi's similar offering and they're useless after 10 minutes and I swear turn attract the mongrels.

JADO75
4th December 2016, 03:14 PM
Squeeze half a turtle out & they'll hang around your bum instead of your face.

virge666
4th December 2016, 03:51 PM
Rid... the purple can.

that it the snizzle.

coalesce
4th December 2016, 04:26 PM
I've been using bushman and not convinced it works. Had a spray of "Off" half way round today's round. jasonb was covered in flies and I only had a couple, so maybe it works?

Jerrymoo
4th December 2016, 05:27 PM
using bushman and not convinced it works...

The old man goes crazy with this stuff, coats himself in it... and he's still covered in flies every time we play golf.

Lagerlover
4th December 2016, 06:12 PM
The old man goes crazy with this stuff, coats himself in it... and he's still covered in flies every time we play golf. Same

Toxic
4th December 2016, 08:04 PM
Any suggestions for something that works for longer than 10 minutes, bloody things drove me nutty yesterday.Tried Aerogard Tropical and Aldi's similar offering and they're useless after 10 minutes and I swear turn attract the mongrels. Bushmans......Flies gone

Scifisicko
4th December 2016, 08:10 PM
Kids put a leaking bottle of rid on the dining room table last year.
luckily we don't have flies in Victoria (or mozzies).

3oneday
5th December 2016, 08:23 AM
I used Bushmans on Saturday, might as well have tipped shit on my head, complete waste of time.

PerryGroves
5th December 2016, 11:09 AM
luckily we don't have flies in Victoria (or mozzies).

Presume you are taking the piss or haven't been to the Mornington Peninsula in summer. The joint was swarming with flies last week.

We played 6 vs 6 tournament, flies were all over the boys with white shirts, the red shirts had way fewer. Anyone know if that was an anomaly or if colours mean something to the little blighters.

Coopers Country
5th December 2016, 11:23 AM
Played Coomealla and Redcliffs during the week , flies were ok but the mozzies were terrible , biting through my shirt , hate to be there Christmas time and they were as bad in Victoria as NSW

RobNewy
9th December 2016, 07:13 PM
I use Bushmans in the yellow can.
Works well for me

Havent tried the green can

wazamac
9th December 2016, 07:44 PM
Saw this one in a safety wear shop today. Anyone tried it before?

Coopers Country
9th December 2016, 08:34 PM
I think with Bushmans there is 2 different %s of DEET which is what keeps them away , but it is also a little dangerous , my sister wont put DEET on her kids , DEET doesn't keep kids away either

CeeAy
9th December 2016, 09:12 PM
Any suggestions for something that works for longer than 10 minutes, bloody things drove me nutty yesterday.

Tried Aerogard Tropical and Aldi's similar offering and they're useless after 10 minutes and I swear turn attract the mongrels.

This is the Ants Pants

Daves
10th December 2016, 12:21 AM
I usually avoid any repellent if I can. But the Small Black Flies have been in plague proportions the last month or so. So I dabbed on some Aeroguard a few weeks ago, and the bloody stuff melted my leather Mizuno glove!

Hard_Pan
10th December 2016, 06:54 AM
Tried Aerogard Tropical and useless after 10 minutes and I swear turn attract the mongrels.Against mosquitoes the tropical strength seems to work but like you've said, against flies, seems to attracted them after a while as if urging you to spray more. Plenty of times I've not sprayed and the fella next to me (who's sprayed), ends up with more flies than me after a while.

olddogmike
10th December 2016, 01:11 PM
This is the Ants Pants
I have used this, it works well, a guy at the club uses Vics Vapor rub and sys it works just as well.

Jazz18
10th December 2016, 05:54 PM
I'm pretty sure I've used Off! before and it's been pretty successful.

pt73
11th December 2016, 09:27 AM
I tried some Off yesterday and it was pretty good, certainly better than what I've used before.

p4m
11th December 2016, 11:02 AM
which Off were you guys using. I had a small spray aerosol with active ingredient been Picardin?
Didnt seem to do too much

3Puttpete
11th December 2016, 01:14 PM
which Off were you guys using. I had a small spray aerosol with active ingredient been Picardin?
Didnt seem to do too much

I've got the tropical strength off. It keeps the mozzies away but flies love it.

RobNewy
11th December 2016, 07:23 PM
I think with Bushmans there is 2 different %s of DEET which is what keeps them away , but it is also a little dangerous , my sister wont put DEET on her kids , DEET doesn't keep kids away either

The green can one is pretty dangerous

pt73
11th December 2016, 09:43 PM
I've got the tropical strength off. It keeps the mozzies away but flies love it.
I got the tropical strength one and it worked fine with the flies but maybe i was just lucky.

TourFit
13th December 2016, 04:19 PM
The green can one is pretty dangerous

It's not DDT Rob. That would be dangerous!

Under 'normal' usage and for the length of time you're using it (and assuming a shower afterwards), it will be fine. Just don't use it on babies etc.

dowdsy
19th December 2016, 07:31 PM
Zinc cream on your face and ears, the one I use is invisible zinc, the flies hate it.

JADO75
19th December 2016, 07:44 PM
I used Off Tropical on Saturday, worked for ten minutes then had more flies on me than when I started. I had the shits with flies so I sprayed myself with Mortein from the Pro Shop halfway & boom, flies gone. (I didn't spray my face though)