PDA

View Full Version : Deathmatch has started..1st competitor is down......

jaster
3rd August 2004, 10:48 PM
Got a little parcel in the mail today, 6 days shipped from CT, USA to Toowoomba 8) It's good to be friends with a Lefty HO who's bro works for UPS :P

http://www.ozgolf.net/jasterspics/3headcovers.jpg

http://www.ozgolf.net/jasterspics/3drivershowdown.jpg

http://www.ozgolf.net/jasterspics/3Shafts.jpg

Took the 3 drivers out for a little deathmatch this afternoon. Very poor conditions with extremely gusty wind that was switching from all different directions! Makes for tough driving but nothing was going to stop me :shock:

To make this a proper review I'll tell you a little about my game.

Handicap - 3.2
Ballflight - Mid flight with a fade tendancy. Bad shot is a cut.
Strengths - Length, Recovery shots and Iron play
Weakness - Accuracy off the tee

My sole purpose of trying these 3 drivers was to try and increase my fairway's hit. I am averaging a very poor 36.8%, my course does have pretty narrow fairways but I am not hiding behind this :oops: It is very much a confidence thing though and if I can get a club that I feel good with I am sure this is half the battle, unfortunately this appears to no longer be the TP :(

Contenders: -

Taylormade TP 9° stock Fuji 757x
Titleist 983K 8.5° Aldila NV 75x
Callaway GBB2 9° Grafalloy Blue Tour S

Looks - Hard to go past the 510TP in this category, at address it just edges the 983k although it is very close. The 983K has the traditional pear profile which is sweet. The GBB2 looks like a Callaway, no more needs to be said :lol:

Feel - As much as every BSG boy would have you believe that Taylormade is king the 983K actually won this category. TP has been my choice for 8 months and I couldn't believe it. Maybe it is the combination of the NV shaft and the 983 but this driver felt like a driver should, solid and powerful. The TP isn't losing much though except to me it did not feel as powerful. GBB2 felt hollow compared to these guys.

Accuracy - This is where the first shock came, the GBB2 solidly kicked the TP and the Ks butt!! Every shot I hit seemed to either hit fairway or if it missed them it missed by less than the same swing with the TP or K. Could be the Blue shaft but I am not complaining 8) The K certainly was better for me than the TP but not as good as the GBB2!!

Trajectory - 9° must be perfect for me as the 3 were very hard to split althogh the GBB2 was maybe little high, the k and the TP were pretty close. Maybe the height of the GBB2 could be the key?

Distance - I have not given much weight to this category. The K is for sure the longest driver of the bunch but the TP is close (maybe 5m or so) and the GBB2 appears to be close to 10m behind the K. Conservatively I average around 260 - 270m off the tee so I am happy to give up 10m if it mean 2 more drives in play per round!

Overall - The edge so far is with the GBB2 which is a huge shock to me but one that I am willing to deal with. I am actually wondering if the stiff shaft with High Torque (4°) has anything to do with the accuracy?
But I have hit this club at 2 demo days with stock shafts and both times commented on how straight it went without realising this is the area I should be looking in the most. Saying this it will not take much for me to put the 983k in the bag but unfortunately this means the TP has runs it's course. It could be a decision I regret but with them coming so cheap due to the R7 TPs arrival I may try and demo one with a Graf Blue in the future. Afterall, the search never ends 8)

Onewood
3rd August 2004, 10:54 PM
Sorry buddy.......to much to read....can you break it down for me :D
A simple 1,2 & 3 ranking will do :wink: :D

McMw
3rd August 2004, 10:55 PM
that was one of the noticable thing I had with the GBB2 PS...it was SHORT...

gotta love the K.... :wink:

terryand
3rd August 2004, 10:58 PM
Looking good Jaster...Keep me posted how things go..Not that the reject would suit me with the telegraph poles in them....but you never know.

You already know what I think is the way to go....BLUEjust in case you forgot, seems to be working great for me ATM :smt023

Terry.

jaster
3rd August 2004, 10:58 PM
Sorry buddy.......to much to read....can you break it down for me :D
A simple 1,2 & 3 ranking will do :wink: :D

It's all about information me friend 8)

jaster
3rd August 2004, 11:01 PM
Looking good Jaster...Keep me posted how things go..Not that the reject would suit me with the telegraph poles in them....but you never know.

You already know what I think is the way to go....BLUEjust in case you forgot, seems to be working great for me ATM :smt023

Terry.

You'll be first option mate, don't worry about the telegraph poles...I'm sure you could easily sell them to the other brutes on this forum :lol:

One thing I forgot to mention, the NV is not a full insert in the K, only 2" I beleive so it plays to flex rather than a BOARD!!!

terryand
3rd August 2004, 11:25 PM
Might have to make a trip up the hill soon to put these bad boys up against the incumbent :wink:

Terry.

markTHEblake
3rd August 2004, 11:29 PM

I thought you were a Aldila NV man now, so what does this mean your back to the Blue?

jaster
3rd August 2004, 11:30 PM
Might have to make a trip up the hill soon to put these bad boys up against the incumbent :wink:

Terry.

Freaking new avatar again :roll:

How about this friday 13th?

terryand
3rd August 2004, 11:33 PM

Terry.

Freaking new avatar again :roll:

How about this friday 13th?

Shes my late night one :shock:

I was thinkin this Sunday to give the new ute a run and pick up the Mezza 8)

Terry.

jaster
3rd August 2004, 11:35 PM
Playing interclub pennants Sunday morning at Middle Ridge Golf Club...but but...I sent you a PM ;)

terryand
3rd August 2004, 11:44 PM

I thought you were a Aldila NV man now, so what does this mean your back to the Blue?

Blakey that was last month,got feed up with being first to hit every fairway :oops:

Terry.

BrisVegas
4th August 2004, 10:31 AM
Hey Jaster,

Welcome to club Blue. We're growing in numbers....

"I am actually wondering if the stiff shaft with High Torque (4°) has anything to do with the accuracy? "

Buggered if I know why that combo works??? But hey, if it works, go with it!! Sounds to me like the 983K and Blue would be a killer combo. 8)

I couldn't find the 797 Speeder specs, but got these from www.golfshafts.com.au :-

MODEL TORQUE WEIGHT FLEX POINT BALL FLIGHT FLEX

NV 65 3.5° 68g LOW to MID MID to HIGH X
NV 75 2.8° 79g LOW to MID MID to HIGH X
NVS 65 3.6° 68g LOW HIGH X
BLUE 2.8° 63g Mid Mid X
BLUEPL75 2.9° 64g Low High X

jaster
4th August 2004, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the welcome :) The blue in the 983K is exactly what I'm thinking next but I want to try and give these 2 clubs as is a good workout first...might even just have to keep both of them, the 983 for when I am swinging well and looking for power and the GBB2 when I am after accuracy :lol:

Jarro
4th August 2004, 12:38 PM
you had a "K" before didn't you Jaster :?:

goughy
4th August 2004, 01:09 PM
He sure did jarro. And you should ask him about his drive on one of the par 4's at indroop with it (it was the same setup as this one). He probably still has the photo of where it finished. Terry and onewood would vouch that it was a thing of beauty. And that was his old swing. I'm looking forward to seeing him hit both the 'k' and the BB.

jaster
4th August 2004, 01:26 PM
Sure did Jarro, and that beast was the longest driver that I ever HIT!! :shock: and it still is :D

Jarro
4th August 2004, 01:28 PM
i think the K is a better club than the GBB2 .... but that's just me :roll:

BrisVegas
4th August 2004, 01:43 PM
The K is a GREAT club!!! I'll be all over one in a year or two when the next model comes out.... I got my JVS on sale just when they K came out. It's a cheaper option to stay one generation behind the latest and greatest...

Jarro
4th August 2004, 01:46 PM
The K is a GREAT club!!! I'll be all over one in a year or two when the next model comes out.... I got my JVS on sale just when they K came out. It's a cheaper option to stay one generation behind the latest and greatest...

is this the same JVS that Nudgee wanted to buy off you :roll: :lol:

jaster
4th August 2004, 01:48 PM
It's not a cheaper option if you buy from the USA 8) I doubt you will get the Es and Ks on a big run out like the LFE and JVS were a year or so ago, they are not in any Superstores like they were in the past.

Jarro - Do you mean better looking? Have you hit both clubs? The GBB2 may not be your cup of tee but man it is straight!!

BrisVegas
4th August 2004, 01:50 PM
I don't recall Nudgee offering to buy it off me..... :wink: He did say he liked it. That was just after he hit it about 300 metres uphill on the 18th at Brooky. :shock:

That club/shaft owes me too much money to offload now. I need to hang on to it for another year or two at least.

Jarro
4th August 2004, 01:54 PM
Jarro - Do you mean better looking? Have you hit both clubs? The GBB2 may not be your cup of tee but man it is straight!!

The guy i played with at Southport had a GBB2.. and he liked it. I've hit one that a friend has..and it didn't really do much for me, i think i just have an instant dislike for anything Callaway :roll:

..but hey, if it works for ya :wink:

Jarro
4th August 2004, 01:56 PM
I don't recall Nudgee offering to buy it off me..... :wink: He did say he liked it. That was just after he hit it about 300 metres uphill on the 18th at Brooky. :shock:

the man is just a machine :!: :shock:

McMw
4th August 2004, 02:06 PM
gotta agree with jarro...the K is way better (for me) than the GBB2...

but then I have a woman's shaft in it, so what do I know!!! :oops: :lol:

Jarro
4th August 2004, 02:12 PM
but then I have a woman's shaft in it:oops: :lol:

:shock: what the :!:

is this the same guy in your avatar with the mighty follow thru :?

McMw
4th August 2004, 02:22 PM
let's compare shall we??? :wink:

Graphite Design YS6 Stiff vs Aldila NV75X /Graffaloy Blue TOUR Stiff/Fuji757X

tell me which is the woman's shaft in that list... :oops:

jaster
4th August 2004, 02:25 PM
This isn't a popularity contest guys :lol: This is about which club will allow me to keep the ball in play 8)

3oneday
4th August 2004, 03:12 PM
Can I enquire as to what swing speed we are talking about here ??? Must be pretty hard if you can't keep X rated shafts on the fairway :shock: .

Ever thought of going back to steel ??? torque never an issue....

Pete

jaster
4th August 2004, 05:15 PM
Can I enquire as to what swing speed we are talking about here ??? Must be pretty hard if you can't keep X rated shafts on the fairway :shock: .

Ever thought of going back to steel ??? torque never an issue....

Pete

115mph - yes I have considered steel but Torque is not the issue. Being uncomfortable over the ball and having low confidence is the issue :(

I used a 975d with an X100 shaft 2 years ago for a period but missed fairways with this as well :roll: :lol:

jaster
4th August 2004, 05:25 PM
Took the 2 contenders out for another spin this afternoon, I am a little closer to making up my mind The GBB2 again just wanted to go straight, hardly missed a drive with it for the 9 holes, actually hit 5/6 fairways with it and to my surprise actually got a few out there almost as far as the 983k...this is GOOD!! The 983k was better than yesterday but still not as accurate as the GBB2. Hit a few horrible blocks and a few monsters...I wish I could hit those monsters every 8/10 drives rather than 5/10 :cry:

Iain
4th August 2004, 06:15 PM
Took the 2 contenders out for another spin this afternoon, I am a little closer to making up my mind The GBB2 again just wanted to go straight, hardly missed a drive with it for the 9 holes, actually hit 5/6 fairways with it and to my surprise actually got a few out there almost as far as the 983k...this is GOOD!! The 983k was better than yesterday but still not as accurate as the GBB2. Hit a few horrible blocks and a few monsters...I wish I could hit those monsters every 8/10 drives rather than 5/10 :cry:
There's your answer there in bold Jaster, you're better off taking the driver that is straighter, as you're not going to have any problems with length, so go with what get's you in the middle of the fairway.

Iain

jaster
4th August 2004, 06:22 PM
I think your right Iain, in fact I have made up my mind to give them 1 more trial before this weekend. The winner will go straight into the heat of battle :shock: on Sunday 8)

Maybe I should just dump everything and get an R7TP :wink:

nick
4th August 2004, 07:14 PM
Jaster,

I have hit a 983K with a Graffaloy Blue and it suprised me by how good this combo is, it went llllloooooonnngggg.

Has to be one of the longest combo's I've ever used, and it was going very straight on a nice medium-high trajectory (I hit the ball very high though).

If you cant decide on what club to use, try putting the same shaft as in your BB2 on the K and see how it goes.

Also, which way are you missing the fairway with the K, cause the BB2 has a square face and the K is closed, so if the K is giving you hooks, maybe an E would be better for you.

Nick

jaster
4th August 2004, 07:23 PM
K is missing with big blocks, some of this I know for a fact (had the trainee watching me today) is from a swing fault but then I would grab the GBB2 and smash it down the guts :shock: I am very tempted to put a Stiff Blue in the Titleist to compare as it could be the shaft?
I actually thought that the K would suit me better having a Draw bias, having owned it before I know that I can hit it...it's just a matter of hitting it with more consistency :roll:

nick
4th August 2004, 07:28 PM
Yeah, the K is a seriously under-rated driver, the E is also great if you hit the ball hard enough.

Nick