PDA

View Full Version : Which golf watch/GPS to buy?

maveric74
24th November 2016, 11:08 AM
Hey all,
Any recommendations for this? Seems to be a lot out there. I''m after something that needs to be light, course map, distance to pin, distance hit, strokes per hole/total etc.
Also, looked up the ARCOS system/app and that seems pretty good as well so perhaps that's another way to go?

Thanks for all suggestions in advance :-)

Rahul

p4m
24th November 2016, 11:35 AM
do you like having a phone in your pocket, its what you will need if u want distances with arccos / game golf & might have 'comp' issues with the phone.

Otherwise i think most of them should be fine.

I have Garmin S2 and hasn't missed a beat for measurements. I had also tried Swing by swing with Samsung watch but it was slow to update measurements in a cart.

mrbluu
24th November 2016, 12:13 PM
I was looking at these, but will need to do some more research.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/sports-recreation/golfing/approach-x40/prod519298.html

https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/sports-recreation/multisport/vivoactive-hr/prod538374.html

p4m
24th November 2016, 12:21 PM
i just bought a vivoactive hr for an older gentlemen that works here (running, swimming, golf)

i will try get the golf feedback but loves the other stuff as well for tracking swimming and running

mrbluu
24th November 2016, 01:14 PM
i just bought a vivoactive hr for an older gentlemen that works here (running, swimming, golf)

i will try get the golf feedback but loves the other stuff as well for tracking swimming and running
Do u often buy things for older gentlemen???😛

p4m
24th November 2016, 02:04 PM
yes=P~

jezaa
24th November 2016, 02:10 PM
I bought a Garmin s20 that does everything you're after, though shot tracking can be hit or miss as you can't manually edit or add shots

billp
24th November 2016, 02:16 PM
I have had the Garmin Approach X40 for about 4 months now and couldn't be happier. It is a very good fitness/golf changeover device, and very comfortable to wear all day.
I am enjoying the club tracking, and scoring feature. Mine syncs to the I phone, (couldn't get it to work on Android), you can then download the garmin site onto your PC and it brings up distance hit etc for each hole. You can also edit any mistakes made during the round if you hit a wrong button for score or club.

8081travis
24th November 2016, 02:31 PM
I have had the Garmin Approach X40 for about 4 months now and couldn't be happier. It is a very good fitness/golf changeover device, and very comfortable to wear all day.
I am enjoying the club tracking, and scoring feature. Mine syncs to the I phone, (couldn't get it to work on Android), you can then download the garmin site onto your PC and it brings up distance hit etc for each hole. You can also edit any mistakes made during the round if you hit a wrong button for score or club.

how does the shot tracking work mate?

p4m
24th November 2016, 02:37 PM

Thats cool does historical show you all shots on that hole?

ps. nice bird

billp
24th November 2016, 02:59 PM
Basically shot tracking works from a full shot, it asks you what club you hit after the shot (think it works from the impact), it doesn't reconise chips etc which is a downfall.

billp
24th November 2016, 03:02 PM
Thats cool does historical show you all shots on that hole?

ps. nice bird

Just had a look at the data and I couldn't break it down into hole by hole tracking over time, will need to read the manual for if I can do this or not. It gives you average putts and scores for a par 3, 4 or 5 but that's it.

p4m
24th November 2016, 09:03 PM
whats happens if you hit that "Historical shots" slider in the screenshot you posted

maveric74
24th November 2016, 11:57 PM
this is great guys. Thanks so much for the responses! The Garmin X40 does sound pretty good for my needs. Thanks billp, p4m, travis, jezza and bluu

mrbluu
26th November 2016, 08:40 AM
this is great guys. Thanks so much for the responses! The Garmin X40 does sound pretty good for my needs. Thanks billp, p4m, travis, jezza and bluu
Don't be so selfish Mav, buy the Vivoactive so u can give me a review of that hahahaha

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

goughy
26th November 2016, 08:53 AM
I wonder if the vivoactive is a paired down version of the golf features like in my F3. No images, and I can't record any stats other than score. But it does just the bare necessities I need. Would love the stats though. Been asking Garmin for them for like a year now to no avail.

maveric74
14th December 2016, 10:39 AM
Hey all, just a quick one. Saw the Garmin S6 on sale at the Qantas store so used those points and bought one today. 7 business days delivery so hopefully will arrive in plenty of time before xmas :-) Will play with it and post up some pics and and my review of it in a few weeks. Looking forward to using it. Now, just need to find an excuse for the wife to justify the purchase :-)

cheers and a merry festive season of golf to all!

goughy
14th December 2016, 10:45 AM
Forgiveness is easier to get than permission.... Nice purchase. My F3 does very basic golf functions which is enough for me, but I'd love it to record stats...

3Puttpete
14th December 2016, 11:04 AM
Hey all, just a quick one. Saw the Garmin S6 on sale at the Qantas store so used those points and bought one today. 7 business days delivery so hopefully will arrive in plenty of time before xmas :-) Will play with it and post up some pics and and my review of it in a few weeks. Looking forward to using it. Now, just need to find an excuse for the wife to justify the purchase :-)

cheers and a merry festive season of golf to all!

There are only 7 business days until Christmas. Good luck

Huynhie
14th December 2016, 12:56 PM
haha crap i was considering putting my one up Mav

maveric74
14th December 2016, 07:05 PM
haha crap i was considering putting my one up Mav

What have you replaced it with Huynhie?
Looked up a review on Critical Golf and it scored a 95!
pumped!

http://www.criticalgolf.com/reviews/golf-gps-devices/garmin-approach-s6-watch-review/

(http://www.criticalgolf.com/reviews/golf-gps-devices/garmin-approach-s6-watch-review/)

maveric74
14th December 2016, 07:06 PM
There are only 7 business days until Christmas. Good luck

Whoa! I'm gonna need it! I'm happy to wait either way I guess pete :-) It'll be the xmas present that keeps on giving!

maveric74
14th December 2016, 07:12 PM
Forgiveness is easier to get than permission.... Nice purchase. My F3 does very basic golf functions which is enough for me, but I'd love it to record stats...

From the Critical Golf review..this will do that! I'm a member at Yarra Bend so looking forward to seeing which of the holes I am the crappiest at :-) Gotta find something to improve as a hacker..lol

You can save your rounds to the Garmin Approach S6, but cannot view the scorecard or statistics on the watch itself. You can, however, sync the S6 either through Bluetooth to the Garmin Connect mobile app or by plugging it into your computer and using the Garmin Express software. The scorecards and statistics are then viewable either on the Garmin Connect mobile app or the Garmin Connect web page. There’s a ridiculous amount of information that can be viewed – not only can you see how you’ve scored on a particular course over time, but you can see the data for each hole. For example, you can see aggregated data on how you’ve performed on the 8th hole of your local muni – your fairways hit, which direction you’ve missed the fairway, GIR percentage, and putting average. One fun feature is that Garmin will show your “dream” round for a given course by adding up the best score you’ve gotten on each hole to show what you could’ve shot on a perfect day.

Hard_Pan
14th December 2016, 07:27 PM
I've been gaming my s6 for over a year. All I miss is the ability to get an 18 hole score (as described above),from a 9 hole course.

Huynhie
14th December 2016, 08:04 PM
What have you replaced it with Huynhie? Looked up a review on Critical Golf and it scored a 95! pumped!http://www.criticalgolf.com/reviews/golf-gps-devices/garmin-approach-s6-watch-review/ It's great but I've decided to go with a rangey

oldracer
14th December 2016, 08:07 PM
From the Critical Golf review..this will do that! I'm a member at Yarra Bend so looking forward to seeing which of the holes I am the crappiest at :-) Gotta find something to improve as a hacker..lol

You can save your rounds to the Garmin Approach S6, but cannot view the scorecard or statistics on the watch itself. You can, however, sync the S6 either through Bluetooth to the Garmin Connect mobile app or by plugging it into your computer and using the Garmin Express software. The scorecards and statistics are then viewable either on the Garmin Connect mobile app or the Garmin Connect web page. There’s a ridiculous amount of information that can be viewed – not only can you see how you’ve scored on a particular course over time, but you can see the data for each hole. For example, you can see aggregated data on how you’ve performed on the 8th hole of your local muni – your fairways hit, which direction you’ve missed the fairway, GIR percentage, and putting average. One fun feature is that Garmin will show your “dream” round for a given course by adding up the best score you’ve gotten on each hole to show what you could’ve shot on a perfect day.
Hey Mav, hows the game going?

maveric74
14th December 2016, 10:30 PM
Hey Mav, hows the game going?

Hey oldracer..so glad you remember and thanks for asking. Honestly? As expected..what you experience or can do on the range or in lessons is vastly different when you get out on the course :-) I'm probably scoring a 120 at the moment but I am just glad that I finally have enough courage to get out on the course and have a crack. Only way to get better, right? Coupled with lessons (today's lesson was just amazing!), I'm hoping to show some improvements! If I stop three-putting, thats at least 18 strokes shaved. If I can get my score to a 100, then I can slowly work towards getting it under three figures. All in all, I still love the game and despite my debacles on the course, I tend to be giddy like a teenager when I play so that's a good thing, right? :-)

LarryLong
15th December 2016, 11:22 AM
I wonder if the vivoactive is a paired down version of the golf features like in my F3. No images, and I can't record any stats other than score. But it does just the bare necessities I need. Would love the stats though. Been asking Garmin for them for like a year now to no avail.

I have a vivoactive - it only does the basics - distance to pin, ability to mark and measure a shot, input of score at end of each hole and some really basic stats on the online portal. Perfect for what I need, as it also does the basics for running and cycling.

Don't be so selfish Mav, buy the Vivoactive so u can give me a review of that hahahaha

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

It's all about you. :)

I like it, it's light and comfortable, battery lasts for weeks if you don't use the GPS, and it still has good battery life if you are using the GPS. A good choice if you just want the basics and you want more than just golf, especially at the price point.

Hard_Pan
15th December 2016, 01:54 PM
Just bought the vivoactive HR for my son. As above, only basic essentials for golf but at least it has it - along with other apps covering jogging, walking, biking, swimming, skiing, sup-ing etc etc..

Middo
15th December 2016, 02:06 PM
Hi guys long time viewer first time poster.
Has anyone used the bushnell neo ion or the Sureshot gw2? I'm considering these as a purchase. There are many positive reviews on the Bushnell so
will probably go with that. Anyone got a Sureshot watch?

Cheers

Sean

CanuckDownUnder
15th December 2016, 10:15 PM
Hi guys long time viewer first time poster.
Has anyone used the bushnell neo ion or the Sureshot gw2? I'm considering these as a purchase. There are many positive reviews on the Bushnell so
will probably go with that. Anyone got a Sureshot watch?

CheersSean

No, but I have a Tom Tom Golfer 2 as new for sale. literally brand new. I'll low ball an offer so you wont have to.

Middo
16th December 2016, 07:36 AM
No, but I have a Tom Tom Golfer 2 as new for sale. literally brand new. I'll low ball an offer so you wont have to. Hi mate sorry should have said I have a $200 voucher to use at Drummond. Looking at the bush ell as u can use as step counter fitness watch to replace my current gps and Fitbit

Feelzy
23rd December 2016, 09:24 PM
I've heard good things about the Garmin X40. I have one under the tree so I'll be able to give my own opinion next week.

Looks the goods though

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

nadg63
24th December 2016, 08:15 AM
I am now on to my second GPS, both having been Bushnell. First up I used a Yardage Pro XP, (still have), but am now using a Neo+ - only changed as the Neo+ has all the courses pre-loaded and came up at a good price secondhand whereas the Yardage Pro required a subscription. Have found both to be perfect for what I require, quick glance and distances to front, centre and back are right there, (cannot be bothered with all the faffing about using a laser: so annoying when someone in the group is lasering the flag for what seems like forever then to not hit anywhere near that distance anyway! :( ). Both Bushnell's can have reference points etc added but I have never done so, suits me as is.

As far as GPS units go I believe both these units have less features than other brands on the market, but for what they cost have been good value. Just comes down to what features etc you need.

tanax
30th December 2016, 01:43 PM
Saw a Garmin S1 on Gumtree for $50, worth a shot?

Grumpy8
30th December 2016, 02:43 PM
Be careful with buying the s1 , check that it's still working,
I have the s2 and it works just fine if you want basic info