PDA

View Full Version : Tips, tricks and how to's - Club Building

chappy1970
23rd November 2016, 08:59 PM
There was a bit of discussion around creating a thread that some of the hobby club builders can answer questions, post tips and videos or photos.

Thought I'd kick it off.

If the admins have no objections can this be made a sticky for convenience.

Chappy

chappy1970
23rd November 2016, 09:48 PM
PRE-BUILD HOSEL CHECKING

I have a short video (lots of megabytes though☺) I'm just uploading and will post the link shortly.

It's a tip for those new to club building and it makes reference to the hosel of an iron and what to look for after removing the shaft (nil homo).

Taking the time to check that any epoxy that may have built up and the bottom of the hosel has been removed correctly will ensure that the tip of the shaft is installed at the correct depth.

I had a recent experience whereby an Ozgolfer dropped an iron in to me to be fixed after the shaft (Steelfibre) sheared off at the top of the hosel. After removing the broken tip, I worked out that who ever installed the shafts in the heads previously had not removed all the epoxy at the bottom of the hosel and as such installed the shaft close enough to half an inch shorter than it should have been.

In my opinion this contributed significantly to the equipment failure.

Feel free to check the video out and ask any questions you want to.

I'm planning on making a short video on shimming, which I'll try to pop up over the weekend.

Chappy

This link may be faulty, if it is i'll fix it in the morning. I'm stuffed and I'm going to bed

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9zJfqx7Pm0ud1dLTnE4UXZxcGc/view?usp=drivesdk

Bitter
23rd November 2016, 10:01 PM
Awesome work Chappy, this sort of thing could be very helpful.

benno_r
23rd November 2016, 10:17 PM
Here is a basic trick. Slice a grip lengthways to use when swing weighting and measuring. Pops straight on and off.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161123/1d6f974a33ecdcd27ce3ad139b63494c.jpg

benno_r
23rd November 2016, 10:21 PM
And in reference to chappy's post, a 9.0mm drill will remove most epoxy from a wood. 9.5mm will clean up an iron. Since the tip of the drill bit is tapered, the will be anring of epoxy in the corners.

I scrape the rest out with an Engineers Scribe:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161123/0b546446b257bb47d67f6bb9df67e2ef.jpg

pt73
23rd November 2016, 10:22 PM
I do the same with old ferrules, split them on one side so I can slide them easily onto a shaft to get a more accurate swingweight.

olddogmike
23rd November 2016, 10:42 PM
I ground a hacksaw blade down to around a quarter of an inch wide and to the depth of the hozel on a driver, leaving the teeth and grinding down the back of the blade. This makes a nice tool for removing epoxy, the teeth leave the grooves intact inside the hozel.

TourFit
23rd November 2016, 10:48 PM
For the epoxy around the bottom of a hosel, after drilling out with a 9mm or 9.5mm bit, just use a much smaller bit and angle it down the hosel. That will loosen it up enough to clear most of it out.

TourFit
23rd November 2016, 10:53 PM
For a great grip tape remover, take the butt of an old shaft and cut at 45* lengthways and sharpen the outside edge.

Epoxy into a drilled out handle, available from most Bunnings, and use the outside edge to lift the tape away. Makes it so much easier.

perci
24th November 2016, 07:17 AM
[QUOTE=benno_r;1326530]And in reference to chappy's post, a 9.0mm drill will remove most epoxy from a wood. 9.5mm will clean up an iron. Since the tip of the drill bit is tapered, the will be anring of epoxy in the corners.

[IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk

If you have a couple of spare Drill Bits you can Grind the Tip Square and use that to get the bottom even!

mrbluu
24th November 2016, 07:40 AM
For a great grip tape remover, take the butt of an old shaft and cut at 45* lengthways and sharpen the outside edge.

Epoxy into a drilled out handle, available from most Bunnings, and use the outside edge to lift the tape away. Makes it so much easier.

I use the heat gun to help loosen the glue in the grip tape, it makes the grip tape much easier to remove gives a clean finish.

blurry
24th November 2016, 09:25 AM
[QUOTE=benno_r;1326530]And in reference to chappy's post, a 9.0mm drill will remove most epoxy from a wood. 9.5mm will clean up an iron. Since the tip of the drill bit is tapered, the will be anring of epoxy in the corners.

[IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk

If you have a couple of spare Drill Bits you can Grind the Tip Square and use that to get the bottom even!

I have an old drill bit that snapped on the diagonal which gets right in to the corners of the hosel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chappy1970
24th November 2016, 09:33 AM
I have something similar Blair, I ground the tip down at a 10 degree angle and tapered the outside of the tip, so it gets all the way down to the bottom of the hosel.

Cleans it out like a milkshake before a colonoscopy

TourFit
24th November 2016, 10:45 AM
I use the heat gun to help loosen the glue in the grip tape, it makes the grip tape much easier to remove gives a clean finish.

Yes... a good plan. But quite a LOT of the OEM grip tape is a pain to remove, even after the heat gun loosens it up.

mrbluu
24th November 2016, 10:51 AM
Yes... a good plan. But quite a LOT of the OEM grip tape is a pain to remove, even after the heat gun loosens it up.

I find a little bit of this on a rag or wet wipe cleans it up good after removing the tape.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/diggers-1l-shellite_p1563463

Dotty
24th November 2016, 11:18 AM
When building up grips with multiple layers of 2" masking tape, then alternate where the seam goes.
1. It makes counting easier, especially when doing a set of irons.
2. I makes it easier to remove a single layer later.

If you don't want a full blown workshop compressor, the 'air inflator' extra for the Ryobi One+ 18V cordless drill works well.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-one-18v-cordless-air-inflator-and-deflator_p6210400

D22marshall
24th November 2016, 03:06 PM
I find a little bit of this on a rag or wet wipe cleans it up good after removing the tape.https://www.bunnings.com.au/diggers-1l-shellite_p1563463 White spirits also very good for cleaning up

chappy1970
24th November 2016, 04:49 PM
I do that too Dotty, helps my feeble brain

chappy1970
24th November 2016, 08:59 PM
SHIMMING OPTIONS

Just put togther a quick run through of the various shimming options. Let me know what you think, if you have any questions or if I missed anything

Even learned how to trim and splice 2 videos on my phone.....giddy up.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9zJfqx7Pm0uSEVQU3BfN1FVVjQ/view?usp=drivesdk

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

D22marshall
24th November 2016, 09:26 PM
Great vid chappy also like using a bit of fishing line short peice over the Tip as you insert.
Keep em coming

mrbluu
24th November 2016, 09:31 PM
I've been using 2 inch masking tape cut into about 2-3mm strips...I think I got the idea off Liptout.

benno_r
24th November 2016, 09:35 PM
SHIMMING OPTIONS

Just put togther a quick run through of the various shimming options. Let me know what you think, if you have any questions or if I missed anything

Good stuff Chappy!

On your first choice of shim (old faithful), I find better results cutting every second tab off. This still allows the shim to work, but allows direct hosel to shaft gluing.

I believe if you use all 8 tabs, you are making a barrier between the hosel and the shaft - effectively making 2 joints in there. Shaft to shim and shim to hosel. I'd prefer to have 1 joint over 2 every time.

TourFit
24th November 2016, 11:29 PM
SHIMMING OPTIONS

Love the vid Chappy, and the sugar trick!

Instead of buying Glass Beads, I use ground garnet (sandblasting sand). Cheap as chips and plentiful. I think I bought a 5kg bag 10 years ago!!!

Johnny Canuck
25th November 2016, 10:11 AM
Love the vid Chappy, and the sugar trick!

Instead of buying Glass Beads, I use ground garnet (sandblasting sand). Cheap as chips and plentiful. I think I bought a 5kg bag 10 years ago!!!

Works a treat

TourFit
25th November 2016, 10:22 AM
Works a treat

Except for simmsy ;)

keymaster
25th November 2016, 02:08 PM
Something I find handy when changing grips with a compressor. In particular the Multi-compounds with a hard end.

A touch solvent on the air-gun tip helps slide the tip in....

Oldplayer
25th November 2016, 06:21 PM
Using sugar.......Sweet!!!
Boom boom.
Great work Chappy. Very clever and informative. :)

Dotty
26th November 2016, 11:47 AM
Put a strip of 2" masking tape on the workbench, and mix epoxy on this. Neat, sturdy and easy to clean up.

Whenever you buy take-away meals, take the free disposable chopsticks as well, and use them to mix the epoxy. When doing multiple clubs, you'll have four 'ends' for mixing and can easily snap an inch off, if more 'ends' are needed, to prevent cross-contamination by half-set epoxy.

When fitting SuperStroke putter grips, make sure there is no taper on the shaft under the grip, otherwise it will feel like a 12mm spanner trying to undo a 11mm nut.

Bunnings sell a cheap CraftRight 150mm Digital Micrometer, for checking taper and tip sizes.

Also grab a CraftRight Tube Cutter to cut steel shafts quicker, safer and neater than using an angle grinder or hacksaw.

Thinking of fitting Gripmaster leather grips? Don't. Find a shop that offers a free fitting service.

liptout
26th November 2016, 12:59 PM
Put a strip of 2" masking tape on the workbench, and mix epoxy on this. Neat, sturdy and easy to clean up.

Whenever you buy take-away meals, take the free disposable chopsticks as well, and use them to mix the epoxy. When doing multiple clubs, you'll have four 'ends' for mixing and can easily snap an inch off, if more 'ends' are needed, to prevent cross-contamination by half-set epoxy.

I use cotton buds, just cut the furry ends off and they're good to go......

You can pick up a bag of 1000 for like 2 bucks!!

Giant Pete
27th January 2017, 09:36 PM
Great thread! Anyone here from or near Geelong?

Oldplayer
28th January 2017, 08:01 AM
Great thread! Anyone here from or near Geelong?
I live in Geelong. I don't build my own clubs though as I have a good mate who has the full set up. He does all mine.

Giant Pete
28th January 2017, 10:21 AM
I live in Geelong. I don't build my own clubs though as I have a good mate who has the full set up. He does all mine.That's great. Cost you much?

Giant Pete
28th January 2017, 10:23 AM
Does anyone know of any club making courses in Victoria?

Oldplayer
28th January 2017, 10:29 AM
That's great. Cost you much?
No he is pretty reasonable.