PDA

View Full Version : Brissy folks - iTrade Golf

davidp
21st November 2016, 08:11 AM
I had an interesting experience yesterday at iTrade Golf. I was doing some casual browsing when I came across a set of irons that looked interesting. Not recognising the manufacturer, I asked the guy what the backstory was, as they looked fairly recent manufacture and were in good nick. They were marked as The Works Dyna Tour RR-01. They felt forged but there were no labels on the shafts. iTrade Golf doesn't have a hitting net, but bounced a golf ball on the pitching wedge to get a feel of them. They were marked as $129 for 5 - PW

So, I looked them up on my phone, and they were selling for $2250 with graphite shafts. Turns out they are a Japanese forging. "Bargain", I told the guy. "i'll take those at $129, even though I think they are underpriced." He told me that no one had looked at given them a second look for a couple of weeks due to the lack of well-known brand. I went and had a look at some putters, then I noticed that the guy had gone and told his boss. Next thing, the boss guy took them off the floor. I asked about them, and he said "he is going to take them to a mate to look at them and re-evaluate" I told him that I intended to buy them at the marked price. I won't be buying another thing from iTG as I consider that pretty poor service. Granted, perhaps I shouldn't have told him the irons were underpriced, but they just pissed off a repeat customer who is not going to buy another thing from them.

Interested to know what people think of this particular situation, and if they have had any dealings with iTG.

David

benno_r
21st November 2016, 08:25 AM
Should have kept your mouth shut. Then lowballed him for $79.

Captain Nemo
21st November 2016, 08:38 AM
Lol......

3oneday
21st November 2016, 08:49 AM
yep, what benno said, or at least forced yourself to $100 :)

Ron Burgundy
21st November 2016, 08:50 AM
I've sold to him before but haven't bought anything. He bought a set of irons of mine that I had advertised on gumtree then had them back up on there within a few hours at double the price. Didn't really bother me though as I was happy with my price and happy for him to deal with the great unwashed hordes on gumtree.

Daves
21st November 2016, 08:58 AM
If they were selling them at $129, they would have paid almost nothing for them. So the previous owner didn't appear to know their value either. They are probably stolen.

davidp
21st November 2016, 09:19 AM
Should have kept your mouth shut. Then lowballed him for $79.

Yeah, I should have kept my mouth shut until after I bought them. Lesson learned ... :neutral:

3Puttpete
21st November 2016, 09:40 AM
If you agreed to buy them I'd assume they have to sell them at that price

benno_r
21st November 2016, 09:43 AM
Yeah, I should have kept my mouth shut until after I bought them. Lesson learned ... :neutral:

All jokes aside, pretty poor form on their part. I have tried dealing with him before, but it all seemed too hard to get a measure of a club, and was unwilling to move on his pricing so I don't even bother with them now.

Hatchman
21st November 2016, 10:50 AM
If you were able to look up the clubs on line in the shop you'd think they would have done the same and priced them accordingly as a business. If they are silly enough to not take the time it's their problem if they sell too low.
More fool you for saying something and not just buying them and walk out happy with your bargain.

If you clearly stated you'll take them at the ticketed price than it's extremely poor for them to pull the item. Good business to stay away from based on that experience.

olddogmike
21st November 2016, 11:13 AM
I bought my Epon Technity copper wedges from him a few weeks back, I am very pleased with the condition, better than described. He did negotiate on price and shipping, but was a bit slow posting, I had to phone him a couple of times to remind him to post these, but otherwise all good.

3Puttpete
21st November 2016, 11:16 AM
I had an interesting experience yesterday at iTrade Golf. I was doing some casual browsing when I came across a set of irons that looked interesting. Not recognising the manufacturer, I asked the guy what the backstory was, as they looked fairly recent manufacture and were in good nick. They were marked as The Works Dyna Tour RR-01. They felt forged but there were no labels on the shafts. iTrade Golf doesn't have a hitting net, but bounced a golf ball on the pitching wedge to get a feel of them. They were marked as $129 for 5 - PW

So, I looked them up on my phone, and they were selling for $2250 with graphite shafts. Turns out they are a Japanese forging. "Bargain", I told the guy. "i'll take those at $129, even though I think they are underpriced." He told me that no one had looked at given them a second look for a couple of weeks due to the lack of well-known brand. I went and had a look at some putters, then I noticed that the guy had gone and told his boss. Next thing, the boss guy took them off the floor. I asked about them, and he said "he is going to take them to a mate to look at them and re-evaluate" I told him that I intended to buy them at the marked price. I won't be buying another thing from iTG as I consider that pretty poor service. Granted, perhaps I shouldn't have told him the irons were underpriced, but they just pissed off a repeat customer who is not going to buy another thing from them.

Interested to know what people think of this particular situation, and if they have had any dealings with iTG.

David

Wouldn't forged clubs have forged stamped on them?

There's a set of used works forged irons on rakuten for $165.

Where were they $2250, zoxoro?

jimandr
21st November 2016, 12:52 PM
Wait another couple of weeks, then see if they are still there at the new price.

This is a classic example of the value being what someone will pay, not what the internet says the price is.

I have no problem with a business trying to make money, and I have no problem with a buyer trying to get the best price he can get.

But the OP is buying for the wrong reason, and the seller has messed up a sale and his reputation for the same wrong reason.

I did notice last time I was there that iTrade have an outlet in the Sports Warehouse near Gold Coast racecourse with the other golf shops. It still might be worth a look, but it seems I shouldn't expect a bargain.

Moe Norman
21st November 2016, 04:44 PM
I've dealt with them before, and had no issue.

They lowball you on gear, but thats the whole idea! If they can't make a dollar out of the clubs you sell to them, then how are they supposed to run a business?

I was there a while back and saw a guy haggling with the sales guy, he had offered im $150 for a set of irons - and the guy goes "But you can sell these for nearly $200!"

I muttered at him, 'exactly - thats their margin to pay the rent on the shop you're standing in and the guy you are annoyings wages!"

anyway, I've bought gear there, traded gear there and generally its always been a fair transaction. If you are dealing with a business, you can't go into the deal expecting it to be even - they have to make some money!

If the situation you describe is exactly true, then its poor form through. But I find it hard to believe you said you will take them, then wandered over and looked at some putters.

perci
21st November 2016, 06:42 PM
Yea somebody traded a JBeam Driver out there the other week for $40 and they moved it on for next to nothing before they researched what it was, they thought it was a " Jim Beam" marketing thing!

Moe Norman
21st November 2016, 07:57 PM
Surely their target market isn't golf fanatics who drink the JDM kool aid though?

It's a business, they would want well known brands that will move easily. The average punter that walks in there wouldn't know what JDM stands for, I'm a ho from way back and been playing golf for 25 years and I only found out what JDM was after a google search because I kept seeing it mentioned on this forum.

pt73
21st November 2016, 08:21 PM
Yea they're not real sharp out there but neither are some of their Clients especially when it comes to JDM, somebody traded a JBeam Driver out there the other week for $40 and they moved it on for next to nothing before they researched what it was, they thought it was a " Jim Beam" marketing thing!
Too funny ...

davidp
21st November 2016, 09:08 PM
I've dealt with them before, and had no issue.

They lowball you on gear, but thats the whole idea! If they can't make a dollar out of the clubs you sell to them, then how are they supposed to run a business?

I was there a while back and saw a guy haggling with the sales guy, he had offered im $150 for a set of irons - and the guy goes "But you can sell these for nearly $200!"

I muttered at him, 'exactly - thats their margin to pay the rent on the shop you're standing in and the guy you are annoyings wages!"

anyway, I've bought gear there, traded gear there and generally its always been a fair transaction. If you are dealing with a business, you can't go into the deal expecting it to be even - they have to make some money!

If the situation you describe is exactly true, then its poor form through. But I find it hard to believe you said you will take them, then wandered over and looked at some putters.

Hey Moe, the putters were right next to the irons, there was no one else in the store, so I thought I had time to finish my shopping. You're right, they've got to make money - they're a business. But I'm a customer, and reserve the right to vote with my wallet. I've bought a couple of drivers from them, and to be fair, they were a good deal. I also bought a wedge from them. Sure, no big dollars - but consistent, repeat business. Having worked in retail sales, corporate sales, customer service - I take my customer service standards seriously. If someone gives good service - I reward them with repeat business or a tip. Equally - if they don't offer good service or if they do something I consider shady, I don't go back.

Now - I need to go hunting for some shafts ... :)

Rascal
21st November 2016, 10:11 PM
Sounds like poor form to me. Any 2nd hand dealer worth his salt (in any market) should be researching their products and not pulling them off the shelf when someone recognizes their providence.