PDA

View Full Version : Chatroom

AndyP
5th June 2006, 10:54 AM
Guys

Over the weekend I installed a new chatroom onto the forum.

It has it's positives and negatives. The good thing about it is that it integrates with the forum, so only members of the forum can log in and it displays who is in the chatroom at the bottom of the forum index, as well as the button on the bottom of the header.

At the moment, both of the chatrooms are running. Feel free to click on vBchat at the top of the screen to go in, have a chat, play around and test this thing out.

Feedback would appreciated.

Cheers
Andy

Courty
5th June 2006, 11:14 AM
It's a bit buggy in Safari. The frames open in separate windows & the chat doesn't refresh automatically.
I'm currently using it in IE ok. I'll try Firefox too.

Update: IE threw me out (typical Micro$oft :roll:) Firefox seems fine so far.

Update 2: Is there anything you/ we can do to stop it automatically filling the screen? It's really pointless/ annoying on a 30" display.

AndyP
5th June 2006, 01:26 PM
Thanks for providing feedback, Courty, unlike the other chumps that tried it out.

I've disabled the room now as it has too many errors, which is a shame as it looked like it could have been pretty good with a couple of fixes.

I'm going to look into a paid chatroom now. You would think it would be more reliable and have better help support.

PeteyD
5th June 2006, 01:39 PM
Dang, I was about to have a look too!

connico
5th June 2006, 01:49 PM
Thanks for providing feedback, Courty, unlike the other chumps that tried it out.

I've disabled the room now as it has too many errors, which is a shame as it looked like it could have been pretty good with a couple of fixes.

I'm going to look into a paid chatroom now. You would think it would be more reliable and have better help support.

Why dont you just run a mirc server and host a webpage using vb or java that can login into it..

An example of it successfully working is http://www4.secret.com.au/cgi-bin/computers/client-chat.pl

try it out you'll like it

AndyP
5th June 2006, 01:51 PM
I doubt it would integrate with the forum, as we would like a chatroom to.

Courty
5th June 2006, 01:54 PM

I think with the few minor fixes, vBChat has a lot of potential... the main advantage being the forum integration.

connico
5th June 2006, 02:01 PM
I doubt it would integrate with the forum, as we would like a chatroom to.

i would intergrate if you programmed it correctly, or get it fitted for the forum, and its better than paying for a chat feature

andylo
5th June 2006, 02:18 PM
isn't most of the office firewall will block the mirc addresses?

Jarro
5th June 2006, 02:33 PM
i didn't really try the chatroom for long enough to make a proper assesment of it :???:

didn't seem too bad though, maybe a few tweaks here and there ...

AndyP
5th June 2006, 03:28 PM
I think with the few minor fixes, vBChat has a lot of potential... the main advantage being the forum integration.
It was creating a lot of database errors too, which was a concern.
The other one I am looking at is supposed to integrate too.

i would intergrate if you programmed it correctly, or get it fitted for the forum, and its better than paying for a chat feature
We are talking about only US$5 for a chatroom, so I'd prefer that than a lot of stuffing around.

didn't seem too bad though, maybe a few tweaks here and there ...
The tweaks are the problem though. It would be time consuming, and there didn't appear to be much help support for it anymore to find out how to do it. vBulletin has made modifications easier, so I don't want to start fiddling around with too much code again, like I did before.

In summary, vBchat is gone. Stay tuned for FlashChat.

Courty
5th June 2006, 03:43 PM
Just had a squizz at one of the Flashchat Demo rooms. Very nice!
A thoooousand times better than any of the other chats we've had.

3oneday
5th June 2006, 03:45 PM
Gee I thought it was super ;)

AndyP
5th June 2006, 03:51 PM
Just had a squizz at one of the Flashchat Demo rooms. Very nice!
A thoooousand times better than any of the other chats we've had.
It was worth trying the freebie first.

There is a mod to integrate Flashchat into vBulletin also.

Jarro
5th June 2006, 03:53 PM
Flashchat sounds interesting :smt047

goughy
5th June 2006, 06:27 PM
Will buy it tonite, and let the big P know. $5 is no killer.

AndyP
5th June 2006, 06:29 PM
Will buy it tonite, and let the big P know. $5 is no killer.
You don't want me to look into the integration side of things a little more first?

goughy
5th June 2006, 07:25 PM
Read your post too late. We'll see how it goes.

goughy
17th June 2006, 08:26 PM
New chat seems to be running well so far. Seems easy to use and well featured.

One of the things I noticed is in the old one you could click on someones name to direct a comment to them but in the open forum rather than as a private message. Can't seem to do that with this one. But the private messaging function is pretty cool.

AndyP
17th June 2006, 08:27 PM
What chatroom?

goughy
17th June 2006, 08:28 PM
smart****

Jarro
17th June 2006, 08:46 PM
yep, it's a winner for sure :smt023

AndyP
17th June 2006, 09:37 PM
I guess I'll make my official announcement on the chatroom as all appears to be ready (let's forget about the little glitch where I screwed up the whole forum).

The new chatroom appears to be fantastic. It can be accessed from several places, and I've set it to open in a new window instead of the one you are using to browse the forum

You can access it from the navigation bar, on the icon in the area just below the navigation bar where it says who is in the chat area, which can be minimised, the sidebar, the portal sidebar, and the bottom of the main forum page.

You can see who is in the chat at all times (and the record), and if you hold your mouse over you can see which room they are in.

Lots of fancy options in there, which I haven't really had a chance to look out. That's all I can think of for now.

Check it out for yourself.

AndyP
17th June 2006, 09:58 PM
I forgot to mention that it has a cool feature, where A-Lo can sit himself in there all day, but set his status as away.

Courty
18th June 2006, 09:28 AM
I forgot to mention that it has a cool feature, where A-Lo can sit himself in there all day, but set his status as away.

:smt023

Fishman Dan
19th June 2006, 10:42 AM
Can you move the "Users in chat room" to the bottom of the page?

AndyP
19th June 2006, 11:08 AM
Can you move the "Users in chat room" to the bottom of the page?
Probably, but it was moved to the top intentionally. You can minimise it.

Fishman Dan
19th June 2006, 02:13 PM
And i have... ta.

Jarro
19th June 2006, 03:18 PM
stop your whingin' Dan :roll:

Fishman Dan
19th June 2006, 04:22 PM
Like i want to see your name at the top of EVERY screen - that isn't another mindless post (boost!). :lol:

Flowergirl
19th June 2006, 04:28 PM
OK...any suggestions why I haven't a dialogue box????????:(

AndyP
19th June 2006, 06:04 PM
What's not working? Are you getting a window up for the chatroom at all? If not, is your browsers pop-up blocker stopping it?

senecio
19th June 2006, 06:58 PM
I'm having the same problems.

I can see the chat and see what everyone else is posting, but no dialogue box to make my own contributions.

Any ideas?

Ryan

Jarro
19th June 2006, 07:01 PM
I'm having the same problems.

I can see the chat and see what everyone else is posting, but no dialogue box to make my own contributions.

Any ideas?

Ryan

send AndyP a PM mate ;)

AndyP
19th June 2006, 07:11 PM
Thank a lot, jarro.

Jarro
19th June 2006, 07:13 PM
that OK AndyP

Jono
19th June 2006, 07:13 PM
This chat room is SO COOL ... 8)

AndyP
19th June 2006, 07:58 PM
Guys, if you are having problems using the chatroom, check which version of Macromedia Flash you have. Version 7 is required to use FlashChat.

Flowergirl
20th June 2006, 08:13 AM
What's not working? Are you getting a window up for the chatroom at all? If not, is your browsers pop-up blocker stopping it?

Yep..that's the problem My server at work - Interflora - won't allow pop ups. Chat works a treat at home though. Great chatroom. Well done setting it up. :) Thanks.

AndyP
20th June 2006, 08:16 AM
Yep..that's the problem My server at work - Interflora - won't allow pop ups. FG, try copying and pasting the address into your current window or a new window.
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/chat/flashchat.php

Ducky
21st June 2006, 10:37 PM
The new chatroom is good, except there seems to be a contagious 'leaving' virus. One person decides to leave, and everyone follows.

3oneday
21st June 2006, 11:39 PM
Was it just you left there duck ;)

:lol:

Ducky
22nd June 2006, 06:17 PM
It always is! I start talking and everyone goes silent.

Jarro
22nd June 2006, 09:04 PM
it's probably that crappy green colour you're using :smt078

Ducky
26th June 2006, 08:43 PM
It happened again! I was left stranded.

Grunt
1st August 2006, 03:54 PM
What has happened with the Chat room

THe past couple of days I have not been able to get in. Has there been an upgrade?

AndyP
1st August 2006, 03:58 PM
Nothing has changed.

Except my banning of you. (Joking)

Grunt
1st August 2006, 03:59 PM
Locks up when the new window opens. Just get a blue screen.

AndyP
1st August 2006, 04:09 PM
You've always been a trouble maker as far as the chatroom is concerned. Nothing has changed at our end, but has it changed at yours?

Grunt
1st August 2006, 04:09 PM
Don't think so

Jarro
1st August 2006, 05:02 PM
works fine for me, although ALo is always in there.

Ducky
1st August 2006, 06:07 PM
Works fine, but I really wish you would take control of the 'A-Lo' situation.

;)

AndyP
1st August 2006, 06:48 PM
Just create a room he can't enter.

Jarro
1st August 2006, 07:08 PM
but he's EVERYWHERE :shock:

Grunt
1st August 2006, 10:18 PM
Have switched to Firefox, will see if the problems continue.