PDA

View Full Version : Oban Kiyoshi impulse purchase - what to expect

sfdoddsy
3rd November 2016, 09:27 PM
I recently took 'advantage' of a 60% off deal to get a full bag fitting at Pureform.

I'm a tad skeptical about fitting for inconsistent types like myself, but the irons recommendation agreed with experiments on other LMs, albeit Pureform's lack of stock shafts to compare anything to is a bit of a problem.

The hybrid recommendation also made sense and was confirmed elsewhere.

But it was the driver fitting that raised my eyebrows.

Normally my driver is the most consistent part of my game. But whilst I hit my irons well (on a different day) my driver swing was all over the place, especially at the beginning when we used my driver and shaft (Callaway GBB/Rogue).

The fitter reckoned the head was fine, but plopped a couple of shafts before settling on an Oban HB. This was magic for me, he assured me.

And sure enough I hit my best drives with it. The numbers compared to my Rogue were magic.

But I don't normally hit the Rogue that bad, and wondered if the success with the Oban was being warmed up properly.

So, being a ho, rather than buy a new Oban HB from them for $429, I have bought a used Oban Purple for a third the price from a member here, based on a forum post elsewhere that it was close to the HB.

So what can I expect?

With the Rogue have a strong positive angle of attack (3.7), high launch (16-17), but need to bring spin down (3K).

I can't help thinking it would be easier to do this with a lower lofted head, but who knows.

So any Oban maestros out there?

I do love the purple look though, which counts for a lot.

JADO75
3rd November 2016, 10:24 PM
The white, black & blue spin way less than the purple.

TheNuclearOne
3rd November 2016, 10:57 PM
With that launch and AoA you are a great candidate for simply dropping loft.

JADO75
3rd November 2016, 11:04 PM
I agree JT. I know Pure are in it to make $$ but why couldn't they just advise that?

JADO75
3rd November 2016, 11:05 PM
The Purple is a better AD DI for mine, mid/high launch with mid spin

Lucasto23
3rd November 2016, 11:24 PM
I recently took 'advantage' of a 60% off deal to get a full bag fitting at Pureform.I'm a tad skeptical about fitting for inconsistent types like myself, but the irons recommendation agreed with experiments on other LMs, albeit Pureform's lack of stock shafts to compare anything to is a bit of a problem.The hybrid recommendation also made sense and was confirmed elsewhere.But it was the driver fitting that raised my eyebrows.Normally my driver is the most consistent part of my game. But whilst I hit my irons well (on a different day) my driver swing was all over the place, especially at the beginning when we used my driver and shaft (Callaway GBB/Rogue).The fitter reckoned the head was fine, but plopped a couple of shafts before settling on an Oban HB. This was magic for me, he assured me.And sure enough I hit my best drives with it. The numbers compared to my Rogue were magic.But I don't normally hit the Rogue that bad, and wondered if the success with the Oban was being warmed up properly.So, being a ho, rather than buy a new Oban HB from them for $429, I have bought a used Oban Purple for a third the price from a member here, based on a forum post elsewhere that it was close to the HB.So what can I expect?With the Rogue have a strong positive angle of attack (3.7), high launch (16-17), but need to bring spin down (3K).I can't help thinking it would be easier to do this with a lower lofted head, but who knows.So any Oban maestros out there?I do love the purple look though, which counts for a lot.Drop loft, far better at reducing spin than any shaft on the planet

3oneday
4th November 2016, 12:48 PM
What to expect? Any emptier wallet and on a bad day a lot of "why did I do that"s?

BayBum
4th November 2016, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I've been down that road more than once with various clubs.

Get the best loft for you then tinker with shafts etc.

icandy
4th November 2016, 06:09 PM
I had a Oban purple fitted by Pureform, a year later, my swing speed was a lot faster and it didn't work as well for me. I switched over to Oban Devotion and have been using that ever since.
During the time I had my Oban purple, I looked up the specs of the Oban Isawa Red and thought it was similar to my Oban Purple so I got that put on my MiniDriver. In the end was a silly decision, couldn't get consistency with it. Ended up going to Pureform, trying a few shafts and changing over to Oban Devotion for that too. So yeah, I wouldn't try guessing a shaft without trying it first again.

sfdoddsy
10th November 2016, 09:35 PM
Naturally I have tried and already sold the Oban.

Made no difference.

Especially compRed to the drastic changes from simply teeing the ball higher or lower.

Of course, this whole thing may well be pointless since, if you look at my numbers compared to the Trackman 'optimized' ones for my increasingly lethargic swing I'm not far off anyway.

The other issue is that what TM said in the booth (a bit too high) is not what I see on the course.