PDA

View Full Version : Well, first time in a long time....Playing with the pros.....

Speirsy11
2nd June 2006, 12:05 AM
Well everyone, I've decided that I've been playing decent lately and it's time to get back into the tournament scene. What better place to start than the SouthWest Open at Bunbury GC..........No sense starting in an amateur event, might as well play a Pro one....

I'm off Saturday at 12:50pm grouped with Andrew Pitt who shot 61 in the final round last week to win the WA PGA Champs in Perth. I'm looking forward to watching him up close, all reports says he's one heck of a player.....

Previous winners of this event include Nick O'Hearn, Craig Parry, Allenby, etc......

Should be fun, I'll let you know how I go......(I'm hoping for 3 rounds in the 70's)

Speirsy

Jarro
2nd June 2006, 03:10 AM
good luck Rob .... hit 'em long and straight mate ;)

AndyP
2nd June 2006, 07:10 AM
Is your amateur status only affected if you win prizes?

Good luck, Speirsy.

Speirsy11
2nd June 2006, 08:35 AM
Is your amateur status only affected if you win prizes?

Good luck, Speirsy.

Entered as an Am, so no worries abuot that.......

burger
2nd June 2006, 11:28 AM
Good luck Spiersy!!! Enjoy!
stu

connico
2nd June 2006, 11:55 AM
luck mate, but you prob wont need it. Long and straight and at the pin!

brad
2nd June 2006, 12:47 PM
Good luck and have fun !!!

Jarro
2nd June 2006, 03:17 PM
.. and get some WITB pics of the other players while you're milling about on the praccy range ;)

Jono
2nd June 2006, 03:40 PM
Entered as an Am, so no worries abuot that.......

Keeping your Canadian accent, I see ... ;)

Good luck mate. Glad to hear that you are hitting it well. 8)

Jarro
2nd June 2006, 03:59 PM
anyone got a spare Ozgolf.net shirt they can lend Speirsy ;)

Speirsy11
2nd June 2006, 05:26 PM
.. and get some WITB pics of the other players while you're milling about on the praccy range ;)

Yeah, right.....I'll be too busy trying to figure out which swing will be available to me that day......Played today in the final warm up for the event and hit my driver as well as I can, putted the dots off it but hit my irons poorly....Not really worried, just one of those days, we'll see how we go tomorrow.......

If you don't see an update, it's because I've quit golf and taken up something else.......

Speirsy

Jono
3rd June 2006, 08:42 PM
Well ... How did you go in the first round?

Speirsy11
3rd June 2006, 09:20 PM
Golf seriously ****es me off......16 good holes 2 disasters.......I seriously don't remember the last time I hit a ball out of bounds, and today I do it 3 times on 2 holes......make 2 9's and end the day 82.....10 over on 2 ****ing holes and even the rest of the way.......

That being said, I'm in 35th spot, so I don't feel THAT bad......

It's amazing how much nerves will affect your golf swing....on the range I felt great, the first 3-4 holes I felt great, but as soon as a few people joined the gallery (I played with the leader, he's freaking AWESOME) I got nervous and scraped it around.......All in all not unhappy with my day, hopefully be better tomorrow with the wind died down a bit......

I'll let you know how it goes......

Speirsy

PeteyD
3rd June 2006, 09:45 PM
Great effort! Good luck tomorrow!

Jarro
4th June 2006, 04:06 AM
hang in there Rob.

Speirsy11
4th June 2006, 07:47 AM
Yep, feeling better today.....No pressure to play well, just a feeling of "Lets go have fun and play golf"

We'll see how we go :)

Fishman Dan
4th June 2006, 09:20 AM
Got to say i expected the worst when i saw you posting at this time, but you are in WA! ;)

If you need any swing tips you know where to find me!

brad
5th June 2006, 12:58 PM
So ..... ??? :-k

How did you go ... ?

Speirsy11
5th June 2006, 06:32 PM
Well, I missed the cut by one.....That sucked, but I can say I expected it after the day I had in round 1. Round 2 was better, but a triple on #11 killed any shot I had even with a birdie-eagle-birdie finish.....

I started well, hitting 7 greens on the front, but had 2 3 putts which cost me. The thing that really surprised me was how my decision making just disappeared......On 11 I hit it into the right trees on a short par 5. 99 times out of 100 I'd have punched it through the gap I had to the 100m mark and hit sw on. Instead, I try and knife a 3w through a gap and end up 20 yards into the trees......I had to sink a 9 footer for 8......Another example is on 15; I hit it to 8 feet but with a big left to right break. Even though it's slightly down hill on FAST (very fast) greens, I decided to try and take a little break out of it and miss on the high side.......I miss the 7 footer coming back and end up with bogey from 8 feet.....Just dumb mistakes because I didnt use my brain.......

Oh well, it was frustrating, but felt great being back in the heat of tournament golf again......I'm looking forward to a few more events out here in the next 2 months, then coming to Sydney for the NSW Foursomes at Avondale in August.......

Speirsy

Jarro
6th June 2006, 12:54 AM
bad luck Rob.

would've been a fun experience though i'll bet.

How long were some of the guys you played against ? Hitting them much further than you ?

Speirsy11
6th June 2006, 05:02 PM
bad luck Rob.

would've been a fun experience though i'll bet.

How long were some of the guys you played against ? Hitting them much further than you ?

Lots of fun, wish I would have played better, but I didn;t.......The guys aren't as long as I am, just straighter this week.....When I hit it good I'm easily as long as any of them, longer more often then not......Problem this week was 100% direction......The guy I was playing with was hitting a 425 TOUR with X100 Steel, so he was giving up some yardage, but he hit it about 270m with driver consistently.......

Time for an Ozik I guess :)

Jarro
6th June 2006, 06:06 PM
Lots of fun, wish I would have played better, but I didn;t.......The guys aren't as long as I am, just straighter this week.....When I hit it good I'm easily as long as any of them, longer more often then not......Problem this week was 100% direction......The guy I was playing with was hitting a 425 TOUR with X100 Steel, so he was giving up some yardage, but he hit it about 270m with driver consistently.......

Time for an Ozik I guess :)

no luck with the Diamana ??? ;)

Speirsy11
6th June 2006, 09:45 PM
no luck with the Diamana ??? ;)

WAY too soft........I've got a Nike SQ Tour head on it's way, going to look at trying that with an Ozik I think....we'll see......

Ducky
7th June 2006, 05:43 AM
So how does one go about finding out the schedule for these events?

Jarro
7th June 2006, 07:10 AM
So how does one go about finding out the schedule for these events?

thinking of becoming a groupie mate :razz: :lol:

brad
7th June 2006, 01:16 PM
Glad to here you had fun and even though things didn't go rosey that you are keen for another crack!

If you do play in a Sydney event, if it wouldn't bother you, I'd love to come watch (on a weekend of course:)) .

Jarro
7th June 2006, 01:31 PM
another groupie :roll:

brad
7th June 2006, 01:35 PM
And why not?!? We could all where our OzGolf shirts :)

Jono
7th June 2006, 02:09 PM
We should organise a Sydney Ozgolf day when Speirsy is here in August. 8)

3oneday
7th June 2006, 02:18 PM
We should organise a Sydney Ozgolf day when Speirsy is here in August. 8)what will he play off, 12 ??? :p

:lol:

Jono
7th June 2006, 02:24 PM
Glad to here you had fun and even though things didn't go rosey that you are keen for another crack!

If you do play in a Sydney event, if it wouldn't bother you, I'd love to come watch (on a weekend of course:)) .

And why not?!? We could all where our OzGolf shirts :smile:

Bloody hell! Have you been taking English lessons from Peter_rs?

:twisted:

Speirsy11
7th June 2006, 02:24 PM
what will he play off, 12 ??? :p

Sure, I'll play off anything you want me to Petey, for as much as you like........

Bring your checkbook.

Jono, I was thinking maybe get together for a game at Royal Sydney......Might be able to swing a time there for us if you want...I'll let you know....

Jono
7th June 2006, 02:26 PM
what will he play off, 12 ??? :p

Depends ... is he going to use his Australian handicap, American handicap, for his Canadian handicap? ;) :lol:

3oneday
7th June 2006, 02:26 PM
Sure, I'll play off scratch if you want me to Petey, for as much as you like........

Bring your checkbook.;)

BrisVegas
7th June 2006, 02:27 PM
nice edit

3oneday
nice editthanks

Jono
Sure, I'll play off anything you want me to Petey, for as much as you like........

Bring your checkbook.

Jono, I was thinking maybe get together for a game at Royal Sydney......Might be able to swing a time there for us if you want...I'll let you know....

Cool ... 8)

And bring your Canadian $5. ;) :lol:

Looking forward to catching up with you again. 8)

3oneday
7th June 2006, 02:29 PM
And bring your Canadian $5. ;) :lol:what's that, $1.50 ??? :p

Speirsy11
7th June 2006, 02:36 PM
what's that, $1.50 ??? :p

$6.50

Ducky
7th June 2006, 03:05 PM
thinking of becoming a groupie mate...
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif

Anyway, Royal Sydney is just down the road from me. Let me know if you're going there for a game.

miro
7th June 2006, 04:44 PM
Rob,

I have played the NSW Foursomes for the past few years and whilst I have never attempted what you just did (a pro event) even a large amatuer event is enough to get a tightening of the sphinctre. I can honestly say in all the amatuer stuff and club champs I have played in I could count the number of good rounds I have played on one hand. But I am certain all those ****ty rounds really improves your game -as you said its amazing how such simple decisions go bad when you are under pressure.

Speirsy11
7th June 2006, 10:24 PM
Rob,

I have played the NSW Foursomes for the past few years and whilst I have never attempted what you just did (a pro event) even a large amatuer event is enough to get a tightening of the sphinctre. I can honestly say in all the amatuer stuff and club champs I have played in I could count the number of good rounds I have played on one hand. But I am certain all those ****ty rounds really improves your game -as you said its amazing how such simple decisions go bad when you are under pressure.

It's true what they say....There's golf, then there is Tournament golf.....and being away from it for a while really makes for some interesting decisions when you go back.......I'm looking forward to the NSW Foursomes, should be great fun......One thing I didn't realize was how much I missed playing golf for real. I've never been able to get interested in some weekend comp junk for the sake of a handicap......Give me tournament golf any time.....

If you fall off a horse you have to get right back on.......

AndyP
8th June 2006, 05:38 PM
I've never been able to get interested in some weekend comp junk for the sake of a handicap...... You mean the game that 99% of the members on this forum play?

Speirsy11
8th June 2006, 08:54 PM
You mean the game that 99% of the members on this forum play?

Yes actually......I'm not saying it isn't fun, or that it isn't valid golf or anything. I just find tournament golf much more intense and fun....It's not for everyone but it is for me.....

goughy
9th June 2006, 05:26 AM
You can compete at a different level than most of us speirsey. I guess it is just the next step up for you. And isn't it about bettering yourself. I can understand the jump in tension and pressure.

Speirsy11
9th June 2006, 03:32 PM
You can compete at a different level than most of us speirsey. I guess it is just the next step up for you. And isn't it about bettering yourself. I can understand the jump in tension and pressure.

Thats right......I can beat most of the guys at my course and don't lose many pennants matches, so where do I go......I start playing in high level Am events again and try the odd Pro event......And the best thing is I only measure against myself.....Gotta love golf.....