PDA

View Full Version : Cricket 2016/7 Season

Pages : [1] 2 3

jimandr
28th October 2016, 05:10 PM
http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-south-africa-2016-17/content/story/1063605.html

What better note to start a new season's cricket thread than with a selection controversy.

I suspect Joe Mennie has been picked for his drink carrying talents, but it is a mystery. While he took shield wickets last year, he didn't look like much in the SA one-dayers.

Joe Burns is unlucky, but I suspect he'll be in the team before the end of the summer. Any batsman who fails twice will be looking over their shoulder at him.

coalesce
28th October 2016, 09:49 PM
Mennie has been excellent with the ball for some time for SA but to justify his selection because of his batting looks like he will play. What a terrible reason to pick him tho - I thought MMarsh was the all rounder. The biggest thing holding Australia back at the moment is the left field selections

coalesce
3rd November 2016, 01:57 PM
Mennie has been excellent with the ball for some time for SA but to justify his selection because of his batting looks like he will play. What a terrible reason to pick him tho - I thought MMarsh was the all rounder. The biggest thing holding Australia back at the moment is the left field selections

Ok so they didn't pick him.

Good start for Aus tho, getting Amla for 0. I'm only following online - is anyone watching that can say whether its a WACA pitch of old, or another featherbed?

Daves
3rd November 2016, 03:00 PM
Ok so they didn't pick him.

Good start for Aus tho, getting Amla for 0. I'm only following online - is anyone watching that can say whether its a WACA pitch of old, or another featherbed?

Much better than last year. Not a lot of movement, but good consistent bounce and a fast outfield. The wickets have come because they are bowling most in the channel, and generally pitching on a good length.

Coopers Country
4th November 2016, 07:40 PM
Going to turn into a good test this one very even at the moment , losing Steyn for SA is a huge blow probably evens the sides up though

chappy1970
4th November 2016, 08:00 PM
I'll be upfront, I was never a massive wrap for M Clarke when he was captain of our first 11.

I have to to tell you my opinion of him as a commentator doesn't differ greatly from the above. I think I'm going to call him pinnochio because he sounds so damn wooden

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

AndyP
4th November 2016, 09:57 PM
Stop listening to channel 9; mute it and put on the radio commentary or music.

3oneday
5th November 2016, 06:31 AM
Another groovy middle order performance.

If we can't win with Steyne out, could be a long series. Might force some long overdue changes, if there is anyone of quality coming through of course!

Sydney Hacker
5th November 2016, 08:44 AM
The shield scores from yesterday do not look promising.

Coopers Country
5th November 2016, 09:58 AM
Its still a problem , when we lose 3 wickets so quick it really exposes it , Khawaja got an absolute cracker and Smith was unlucky but out , we need a stronger bat out of either the WK position or the all rounder spot but who ?

Wardy101
5th November 2016, 10:16 AM
Potentially Burns in for Mitch Marsh and go with four bowlers plus Smith/Voges rolling arm over for a few overs. Not sure if we have an allrounder to replace Mitch with given Maxwell isnt even in the Vic Shield team.

Khawaja will get another chance but he cant afford to not make some runs as his recent record is poor.

Shaun Marsh going well for me. I know everyone says he bats slowly but with Warner seeing them like beachballs all he needs to do is rotate the strike and hit the lose ones for four. His two catches have been brilliant

Coopers Country
5th November 2016, 10:26 AM
Probably the most sensible way to go , Shaun Marsh should be safe now perfect foil for Warner , the top 4 is how it should be if they are all in form , they were probably forced to pick Mitch with a bit of a cloud hanging over Starc . While the bowlings going ok gee it looks brittle , if we lose Starc we are in big strife , Siddle is bowling pedestrian medium at best , Hazelwood has bowled well though

markTHEblake
5th November 2016, 10:29 AM
Notice that 4x Australia lost 2 wickets for 1 run, That's like having back to back triple bogies

Sydney Hacker
5th November 2016, 10:49 AM
Potentially Burns in for Mitch Marsh and go with four bowlers plus Smith/Voges rolling arm over for a few overs. Not sure if we have an allrounder to replace Mitch with given Maxwell isnt even in the Vic Shield team.Khawaja will get another chance but he cant afford to not make some runs as his recent record is poor.Shaun Marsh going well for me. I know everyone says he bats slowly but with Warner seeing them like beachballs all he needs to do is rotate the strike and hit the lose ones for four. His two catches have been brilliantMaxwell is back in for the Vics and is batting now, I assume whatever his indiscretion was that got him dropped has been forgiven.Khawaja will need to score runs consistently, he keeps opening his mouth and sooking about things (like being dropped in Sri Lanka) so he will get less brownie points then others.

coalesce
5th November 2016, 01:50 PM
Should be no changes for the next test. Your best 11 as picked by the selectors doesn't suddenly become not your best 11. Chopping and changing doesn't help anyone. Mitch Marsh hasn't suddenly become any better or worse a batsman in 1 game

jimandr
5th November 2016, 04:49 PM
Should be no changes for the next test. Your best 11 as picked by the selectors doesn't suddenly become not your best 11. Chopping and changing doesn't help anyone. Mitch Marsh hasn't suddenly become any better or worse a batsman in 1 game

But it isn't our best 11, and everyone except 3 selectors and 1 coach know it.

Hopefully our bats have been watching SA bat today. The odd ball has done a bit, and there is some reverse swing, but Duminy and Elgar have watched the ball and played good shots most of the time. It isn't as difficult as we made it look. It is just as well Hashim Amla is in terrible form, though.

coalesce
5th November 2016, 05:03 PM
But it isn't our best 11, and everyone except 3 selectors and 1 coach know it.

Hopefully our bats have been watching SA bat today. The odd ball has done a bit, and there is some reverse swing, but Duminy and Elgar have watched the ball and played good shots most of the time. It isn't as difficult as we made it look. It is just as well Hashim Amla is in terrible form, though.

That's kinda my point tho. It's the selectors themselves that need to have a rethink, not the search for the mythical all-rounder that doesn't currently exist. If the selectors chop Marsh they'll probably just pick Maxwell or Henriques or someone else not good enough to hold down a batting spot on merit - and that's the real issue right now

TheNuclearOne
5th November 2016, 06:04 PM

That's kinda my point tho. It's the selectors themselves that need to have a rethink, not the search for the mythical all-rounder that doesn't currently exist. If the selectors chop Marsh they'll probably just pick Maxwell or Henriques or someone else not good enough to hold down a batting spot on merit - and that's the real issue right now

Well said. Everyone at golf was dropping half the team today, such short memories and little clue. Voges and Kwaka scored a million runs last home series.

The only selection i was rank about coming in was Mitch Marsh. Shane Watson has absolutely passed the photos on to him.

Burns should have opened, he and Kwaka were indeed scapegoats in Sri Lanka. The selections over there were ludicrous, particularly combined with Smith's bowling choices.

S. Marsh should have been in from the start or for the second test there. At least one of Burns/Kwaka should have survived the axe. It was a perfect chance for our younger bats to gain some experience in the conditions with a view to upcoming sub continent series. The las Australian team to win in the conditions said how important it was that most of them had been involved in losses over there (in those conditions) before.

Burns nabbed a ton against Starc in the lead up to this test and Mitch did nothing.

Shaun deserves his spot but not at Burns expense.

I hope they don't bring in another half baked sub standard allrounder if Marsh finally goes.

Wait for a genuine allrounder or don't pick one. We are a bit unlucky in that no-one (batsman) really bowls any half handy medium pace unlike some prior years.

Having said all this Marsh will probably ton up second dig LOLOLOL

Burns has just had two failures for QLD, very bad timing for him.

coalesce
5th November 2016, 08:05 PM
I'm biased but I'd like to see Travis Head given a go. There's definitely something about him. Actually we have a few youngsters at the Redbacks right now that seem promising. Son of Boof is another to watch

TheNuclearOne
5th November 2016, 11:01 PM
I think we are a fair way off those guys yet.

Coopers Country
5th November 2016, 11:36 PM
Pretty much yes to everything you said TNO , might as well play another decent batsman( if we have one) who can bowl a few ploppers , our bowling ended up looking pretty sad by the end of the day though few boys gonna be bowling a lot of overs by the end of the summer

TheNuclearOne
6th November 2016, 01:12 AM
Pretty much yes to everything you said TNO , might as well play another decent batsman( if we have one) who can bowl a few ploppers , our bowling ended up looking pretty sad by the end of the day though few boys gonna be bowling a lot of overs by the end of the summer

i'd simply be consolidating the investment in Burns irregardless of the present Shield games. He averages 41 in Tests.

A bigger concern is the way we did not have the class to consolidate two immense advantages in this game. At 4-32 they were on the rack and after failing to fully take advantage we again put our foot down hard on their throat with a 158 run opening stand. Now we are getting thumped, what a f'n turnaround.

Even with Steyn out it's alarming how little we offered when the ball started reversing and doing a tad. On a batting track like this reverse is a lifeline and SA have shown they can get it happening while we've shown we still don't play it well.

Will it be a constant thorn in our side throughout the series?

3Puttpete
6th November 2016, 12:42 PM
Fingers crossed we don't knock over the last 4 too quickly. If they get too long to bowl at us today we might not make it to tomorrow.

highballin
6th November 2016, 03:16 PM
Fingers crossed we don't knock over the last 4 too quickly. If they get too long to bowl at us today we might not make it to tomorrow.

Yeah agree with this the longer they bat the longer the test will go. Because once we get, in all of a sudden it will be like their bowling handgrenades at us

TheNuclearOne
6th November 2016, 05:34 PM
Gotta get those risky singles going when playing for a draw.

3Puttpete
6th November 2016, 05:56 PM
It wont be the last stupid dismissal in the innings. There's not a lot of fight in this team

TheNuclearOne
6th November 2016, 06:15 PM
It wont be the last stupid dismissal in the innings. There's not a lot of fight in this team

Not a good record in forlorn chases that's for sure.

Coopers Country
6th November 2016, 07:24 PM
Thats the trouble TNO they think they are playing for a win , bloody brilliant bit of fielding though

Steve57
6th November 2016, 07:49 PM
Another excellent shot by our Captain.
This mob couldn't beat Bangladesh at the moment, then again neither can the Poms!
Test cricket as we knew it has died.
None of our mob have a clue on how to build an innings.
It is going to be a long summer!

Toxic
6th November 2016, 07:53 PM
Our temperament as batsman is embarrassing

chappy1970
6th November 2016, 08:49 PM
My thoughts too, the Saffers aren't better bowlers, but their batting is so much more patient and composed

oldracer
6th November 2016, 08:56 PM
I use to watch cricket from the age of 5 or 6, now 60 and can honestly say that the game has not enticed me to make the time to watch it in the last 5 or so years, it is now an irrelevant sport, sad but not what it use to be, IMO

Yossarian
6th November 2016, 09:04 PM
Classic better in my generation piffle.

3oneday
6th November 2016, 09:09 PM
Not generational, too busy chasing 20/20 cash, team and administrators.

oldracer
6th November 2016, 09:15 PM
Classic better in my generation piffle.classic counterpunch crap from you, how 'bout you create some discussion just for a change, and no smiley emoji cause

Yossarian
6th November 2016, 10:05 PM
If you said something discussion worthy (although i have clearly generated discussion) maybe I'd have a more thoughtful response. As it is your post begets what it deserves IMO.

oldracer
6th November 2016, 11:29 PM
If you said something discussion worthy (although i have clearly generated discussion) maybe I'd have a more thoughtful response. As it is your post begets what it deserves IMO.clearly don't read my posts nor respond, something you find difficult to achieve

Yossarian
6th November 2016, 11:38 PM
clearly don't read my posts nor respond, something you find difficult to achieve In English now?

oldracer
6th November 2016, 11:38 PM
If you said something discussion worthy (although i have clearly generated discussion) maybe I'd have a more thoughtful response. As it is your post begets what it deserves IMO.you have had a query to your state champs thread, the only one I can see you initiate, and absolutely no response from you, the champs initiator, well done and a great way to increase the champs patronage, you probably want to keep it very insular

Yossarian
6th November 2016, 11:43 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahaha

oldracer
6th November 2016, 11:51 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahahayep without a retort, that's what you are, ***in nothing so stay off my posts

Wardy101
7th November 2016, 12:08 AM
c'mon guys, plenty to bitch about regarding the cricket without getting stuck into each other.

If we make it to lunch tomorrow I will be ecstatic.

jimandr
7th November 2016, 12:22 AM
In my opinion, the quality of play in Australian tests in recent years is as good as it ever was "back in my day". Batsmen play more shots and score much quicker than they used to. Spinners actually play a greater role now than they did in the 80's.

It just happens that right now the Australian team is going through a bad patch. That doesn't mean the cricket itself is no good.

When Mitch Marsh raises his bat to the stands after hitting the winning runs to reach his double century you will all sing a different tune. Are there any songs that have flying pigs in them?

Yossarian
7th November 2016, 12:37 AM
yep without a retort, that's what you are, ***in nothing so stay off my posts I'll be the bigger man and not descend into obscenities as well as "staying off your posts".

BrisWesty
7th November 2016, 06:14 AM

Can they get some unattractive but effective batsmen like Katich etc to teach these guys how to value their wickets and grind out a score.

markTHEblake
7th November 2016, 08:26 AM
My thoughts too, the Saffers aren't better bowlers, but their batting is so much more patient and composed
Australia hasn't been a patient and composed batting team for ~20 years. It used to work when McGrath and Warne were around, but not any more.

3oneday
7th November 2016, 09:52 AM
That makes me feel old :)

Moe Norman
7th November 2016, 10:08 AM
Not generational, too busy chasing 20/20 cash, team and administrators.

I hear this all the time, yet as far as I am aware T20 cricket is played by every test nation and doesn't impact on Australian cricket anymore than any other test nation.

The only test side in World Cricket that is genuinely impacted by the growth in T20 cricket is the West Indies, as some of their best players don't actually play Test cricket due to T20. (could argue the same for Sri Lanka maybe, but its not a common problem)

3oneday
7th November 2016, 10:30 AM
I hear this all the time, yet as far as I am aware T20 cricket is played by every test nation and doesn't impact on Australian cricket anymore than any other test nation.
I feel it does, adding the easy cash of 20/20 to the already protected nature of the Aussie cricket team and we are worse off than other countries.

We are still the only country who regularly rotates players in and out of test teams. It's all relative for mine.

Coopers Country
7th November 2016, 10:59 AM
I think 20/20 cricket has changed our view of what an allrounder is, its a lot easier to bowl a few ploppers in a game where the batsman is going for it and you know you have a maximum of 4 overs, as against having to bowl 15 to 20 overs against batsmen who are just waiting for bad balls .The Allrounder tag is handed out almost as much as legend of the game tag

AndyP
7th November 2016, 11:36 AM
I like this article about Australia having the mentality of going for the win, instead of a draw.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-07/clarkes-take-on-chase-a-window-into-australias-test-mindset/8000464?section=sport

3oneday
7th November 2016, 12:33 PM
Pity ability doesn't match the mentality :)

TheNuclearOne
7th November 2016, 12:35 PM
I like this article about Australia having the mentality of going for the win, instead of a draw.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-07/clarkes-take-on-chase-a-window-into-australias-test-mindset/8000464?section=sport

Good article, particularly in closing.

LarryLong
7th November 2016, 04:47 PM

If the Australian cricket team was a club golfer they would attack the pin all day, make plenty of birdies, and then try to reach a well protected par 5 in two with a 3 wood and fall agonisingly short of the water carry. Then they would reload and do it again. Then they would reload with a driver off the deck and try for that extra metre.

Every minute of Warner's run a ball 30 must have had the Saffers in stitches.

Yossarian
7th November 2016, 04:56 PM
I can see it both ways, Chris Rogers went into it a little on 720.

Getting out is often a result of a mistake, so you try and limit them.

Warner is clearly a guy that makes less mistakes when he plays positive cricket, and that was a freak runout.

I can also see why people get annoyed when guys don't try and bat time and it clearly is an issue for this team (Smith's shot in particular was pretty bad).

Really the issue is the ****ing horrendous collapse in the first dig.

jimandr
7th November 2016, 05:13 PM
I just saw Hashim Amla appeal for a catch at slip from a wide bowled by the spinner.

Obviously it flicked the keeper's glove on the way through, but considering everything else it was just about the only thing I've had to smile about in this game.

Toxic
7th November 2016, 05:14 PM
Lets not forget our inability to contain and take wickets in the 2nd innings.

Our bowling attack looked meek at best

Toxic
7th November 2016, 05:19 PM
Listening to Michael Clarke trying to put a positive spin on this test is making my ears bleed

Yossarian
7th November 2016, 05:21 PM
Lets not forget our inability to contain and take wickets in the 2nd innings.

Our bowling attack looked meek at best

For mine this is linked back to the collapse, while they should be right to go the bowlers do need a bit of a spell.

It is also a good batting track.

Moe Norman
7th November 2016, 06:07 PM
Listening to Michael Clarke is making my ears bleed

fixed that for you

coalesce
7th November 2016, 06:53 PM
SMarsh out of the next test with a broken finger. Burns and Ferguson in the squad. Doubts over Voges' fitness too

Coopers Country
7th November 2016, 06:53 PM
From bad to worse Shaun Marsh is out for Hobart (broken Finger) , in comes Fergerson and Burns

jimandr
7th November 2016, 10:28 PM
I can't resist asking this question. Which finger?

I've always liked Callum Ferguson as a batsman, but every time he was poised to be picked he either started a form slump, or got injured.

Either way, I'm not filled with enthusiasm. South Africa will be better if Morkel is fit, and we'll be worse, both in form and in confidence. Maybe it will be a weather-affected draw. That will seem like a win at the moment.

TheNuclearOne
7th November 2016, 10:42 PM
I think Morkel for Steyn makes them weaker. Some weren't convinced fitness held him out after the day before they said he was fit and in contention the day before.

Really looking forward to the night games and the ball hooping about. Should be short games LOLOL

BrisWesty
8th November 2016, 08:26 AM
CA need to take a big look at themselves.

We've generally done well in Brisbane. So they move the first test to Perth (where SA knocked us off previously).
Give our players basically no lead in shield games to get their longer form cricket working.
Then they set us up with a night test despite our players generally not going well against the ball that swings or cuts, both of which seem to happen more in the evening.
Announce an unchanged team for the second test before the first test is over. How about we wait till the game is finished to see whether we are satisfied with the performance of all players.
(When did I turn into my step father-in-law?)

Coopers Country
8th November 2016, 08:10 PM
CA only schedule the first test at the Gabba when they know we have a better fast bowling contingent than the opposition , the Waca was a batsman's paradise last season and that was our best chance at winning . The ball is meant to move its a test match ? and the amount it moves comes down to the skill of the bowler .
What I really want to know though is how come other countries can produce 21 year old stars and we cant produce 25 year old anythings , Rabada was the best thing I have seen in cricket in Australia for ages , where are ours?

3Puttpete
8th November 2016, 09:12 PM
Ours are all broken or rested so they dont break

Coopers Country
8th November 2016, 09:30 PM
So they can retire at the ripe old age of 28 for the IPL

markTHEblake
8th November 2016, 09:59 PM
It a bit fanciful to suggest CA scheduled the test at Perth to give Australia an advantage.
Scheduling revolves primarly around profits and logistics. The report was the last brisbane test had a very poor attendance so they wanted to do a day/night test in the school holidays.

Coopers Country
8th November 2016, 10:06 PM
So they have one in Hobart? Remember the last attendance joke there ?
Both flat track batting pitches Mark
As for profits they make more out of a 20/20 than a 5 day test and thats what the programming is about

TheNuclearOne
8th November 2016, 10:16 PM
CA only schedule the first test at the Gabba when they know we have a better fast bowling contingent than the opposition , the Waca was a batsman's paradise last season and that was our best chance at winning .

We had actually lost our last two Tests against South Africa at the WACA prior to this one.

Coopers Country
8th November 2016, 10:23 PM
What I am trying to say is you could put in an indoor cricket net it wouldn't have mattered , where we play is not the problem with the team
It was in answer to briswesty's statement

Coopers Country
12th November 2016, 10:03 AM
Lost the toss and in on a greentop this could be interesting

TheNuclearOne
12th November 2016, 10:57 AM
Lost the toss and in on a greentop this could be interesting

Or predictabe LOL

highballin
12th November 2016, 11:28 AM
Geez if only we had Mitch Marsh to come in and save the day

3Puttpete
12th November 2016, 12:14 PM
Gotta get those risky singles going when playing for a draw.

Not just when playing for a draw

TheNuclearOne
12th November 2016, 12:19 PM
Not just when playing for a draw

Didn't "see" it but saw it on the scorecard. I sense it can't have been good.

Toxic
12th November 2016, 01:21 PM
6/58....aussies on fire😢

AndyP
12th November 2016, 01:28 PM
Come back, Mitch Marsh. All is forgiven.

TheNuclearOne
12th November 2016, 01:35 PM
6/58....aussies on fire

We were going well at that stage!

Coopers Country
12th November 2016, 01:35 PM
The sooner we are all out and bowling at them the better , not that I can see us going through them like they have to us

AndyP
12th November 2016, 01:44 PM
The sooner we are all out and bowling at them the better , not that I can see us going through them like they have to usThey will probably make it look like a lifeless pitch. Abbott is one of the best bowlers in the world though...

Sydney Hacker
12th November 2016, 02:01 PM
Anyone read Brad Hogg's book? Some of the extracts make for interesting reading on life in the dressing room and the egos in the team.

Toxic
12th November 2016, 02:16 PM
We were going well at that stage! Jesus is their anyone in Australia who values their wicket

AndyP
12th November 2016, 02:23 PM
Who wants to play "What were Australia at the same stage?"?

I'll start.
South Africa 0/17
Australia 5/17

Captain Nemo
12th November 2016, 02:30 PM
They should put these clowns on performance base contracts, ****ing jokes.

Toxic
12th November 2016, 02:35 PM
They should put these clowns on performance base contracts, ****ing jokes. Amen

Captain Nemo
12th November 2016, 02:44 PM
No really, every Sunday's paper has an article re some Aus cricketer selling his house in Sydneys eastern suburbs for x million and upgrading or being seen driving their Ferrari or Maserati etc around....
****ing overpaid wankers.
Need a good kick up their arse.

Coopers Country
12th November 2016, 03:44 PM
Big Mitch is on fire

Toxic
12th November 2016, 03:44 PM
Starc with some speed finally

aussieashley
12th November 2016, 05:01 PM
No really, every Sunday's paper has an article re some Aus cricketer selling his house in Sydneys eastern suburbs for x million and upgrading or being seen driving their Ferrari or Maserati etc around....
****ing overpaid wankers.
Need a good kick up their arse.

Yep. Start paying the batters on runs scored and the bowlers on wickets taken. Our team wouldn't earn much at the moment :)

AndyP
12th November 2016, 05:36 PM
Come on, guys. Winning isn't important. It is all about bums on seats and TV ratings.

perci
12th November 2016, 08:25 PM
Cricket what Cricket ???

TheNuclearOne
13th November 2016, 03:42 AM
The Poms are yet again showing us how it is done in India. They are noticably weaker than the team that rolled India over there a few years ago but are putting their best foot forward and competing really well. I still rate their series win over there as one of the best of the last couple of decades. Cook was insane, Swann and Panesar brilliant.

BrisWesty
13th November 2016, 08:34 AM
What I don't understand about our selectors.
For years McGrath would put the ball in the corridor of uncertainty at low 130s high 120s, and got buckets of wickets and seemingly few injuries.
Philander just ran through us at similar speeds.
Yet we seem obsessed with bowlers who are over 140km/h and break easily.

goughy
13th November 2016, 08:41 AM
This.

Coopers Country
13th November 2016, 09:25 AM
While our bowling is not fantastic it isn't the biggest problem , even MGrath and Warne would have trouble bailing this batting side out of the crap
Batsmen who have poor technique will get found out when the ball is moving , look at the Australian batsman and see how many have a solid traditional technique
This is the biggest effect of 20/20 cricket ,flat wickets and the ball not moving IMO
I just hope we don't bowl Mitchell Starc into the ground , he is the one shining light in the team

3oneday
13th November 2016, 10:07 AM
Go the rain!

TheNuclearOne
13th November 2016, 12:50 PM
For years McGrath would put the ball in the corridor of uncertainty at low 130s high 120s, and got buckets of wickets and seemingly few injuries.

McGrath from all accounts used to bowl faster than he read on the radar. Healy confirmed this a few times, saying he was hitting the gloves harder than all the guys reading higher than him and it wasn't even that close. No idea about now but ages ago the radar used to absolutely favor (speed wise) bowlers delivering from less height.

Philander is the best bowler of his/this type in the world i'd reckon. He is almost unplayable in extremely favorable conditions.

I dread what he might do at night time with the pink ball going by what we saw last time LOL

TheNuclearOne
13th November 2016, 12:58 PM
Have to adore 9 showing one of our greater debacles during all this rain. Even cuter that it's in hobart against S.A. lmao.

Are they acclimatising us?

markTHEblake
13th November 2016, 05:29 PM
This is the biggest effect of 20/20 cricket ,flat wickets and the ball not moving IMO India currently ranked no 1 test team ( or recently was) they play even more 20/20 on flatter pitches that move less. That does not seem to be hurting them.

BrisWesty
13th November 2016, 07:36 PM
TNO, that's a really interesting insight from Heals given Lee and McGrath were teammates. I'm not discounting it. That said, Lee's deliveries appeared to skid whereas McGrath's deliveries appeared to bounce.

TheNuclearOne
13th November 2016, 07:59 PM
TNO, that's a really interesting insight from Heals given Lee and McGrath were teammates. I'm not discounting it. That said, Lee's deliveries appeared to skid whereas McGrath's deliveries appeared to bounce.

Sorry mate, Lee wasn't in the lot he was talking about. Lee was quicker for sure. His point was that McGrath was quicker than some guys that were often reading faster on the radar. From memory Fleming was reading consistently faster, maybe Reiffel too. Can't remember if Gillespie was included at the time, possibly.

McGrath wasn't as slow as he read on the radar vs others in reality. There's a bit on it below -

http://www.espncricinfo.com/thestands/content/story/659331.html

coalesce
13th November 2016, 09:36 PM
If you're interested in what Mr McGrath himself thinks: http://www.cricket.com.au/news/glenn-mcgrath-australia-fast-bowling-pace-bounce-movement-velocity-philander-interview/2016-11-13

Coopers Country
14th November 2016, 10:27 AM
India currently ranked no 1 test team ( or recently was) they play even more 20/20 on flatter pitches that move less. That does not seem to be hurting them.

Did you miss the first bit about technique ? India's batsman can still play a ball that moves , probably a combination of a lot of swing/seam bowlers and spinners

Australia was also ranked no 1 test team as recently as Sri Lanka

Moe Norman
14th November 2016, 11:04 AM
It's a bit of a myth that McGrath bowled in the high 120's on the radar for most of his career.

McGrath was a 140+ bowler when he first played test cricket, and he slowed with age. He was never express pace, but he was not some medium fast trundler

Yes, when he reached 35 he spent more time in the 120's than 130's, but he was 35.

TheNuclearOne
14th November 2016, 12:15 PM
Very impressed by de Kock. Looks the goods with the bat and no over the top celebrations at the ton, more of a mild acknowledgement with the mind obviously on keeping on going.

Steve57
14th November 2016, 12:18 PM
Very impressed by de Kock. Looks the goods with the bat and no over the top celebrations at the ton, more of a mild acknowledgement with the mind obviously on keeping on going.
TNO can you please comment on all the SA batsmen, one minute after your above post de Kock is out!:lol:

TheNuclearOne
14th November 2016, 12:21 PM
TNO can you please comment on all the SA batsmen, one minute after your above post de Kock is out!:lol:

God yes!!! Bavuma has been impregnable so far and how good did Philander bat last time out????? They could bat all day and are certain to form a big partnership!!!

Steve57
14th November 2016, 12:23 PM
God yes!!! Bavuma has been impregnable so far and how good did Philander bat last time out????? They could bat all day and are certain to form a big partnership!!!:wink:

backintheswing
14th November 2016, 01:52 PM
Hazlewood with a 5 for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheNuclearOne
14th November 2016, 02:26 PM

Well i pumped the South African's but forgot to get in before we batted LOLOL.

S.A. immediately getting a touch of swing when we were getting very very little. Easy to see Abbot's seam work thru the air is so much better than what we were putting forth.

Steve57
14th November 2016, 02:37 PM
And Burns gone for a duck!

LarryLong
14th November 2016, 02:40 PM

Maybe he's just boring? :)

3oneday
14th November 2016, 02:40 PM
3 day test, subject to weather!

Bring in Australia A, or the Prime Ministers 11, or Warnie to make a come back (just for the hell of it).

3Puttpete
14th November 2016, 02:44 PM
And Burns gone for a duck! That's not possible. He's the saviour we've all been waiting for, just have a look back through this thread.

3oneday
14th November 2016, 02:55 PM
:)

TheNuclearOne
14th November 2016, 02:56 PM
Maybe he's just boring? :)

Bwahahahaha!! It was funny, in his only other ton he got to 129n.o and prior to this one today he'd had 4 dismissals between 50 and 100 in a row. He really did have the look of concentration and stoicism nek minnut BOOM!

3Puttpete
14th November 2016, 03:28 PM
As long as the SAffers keep missing the stumps, we can take all the singles we like.

Coopers Country
14th November 2016, 08:16 PM
Well we ended up ok , good to see them knuckle down with the bat against some bloody good bowling
Hazelwood bowled very well good performance so far this series he is impressing more and more
Still gonna need a lot of luck to make a game of it though , but there were at least some signs today

TheNuclearOne
14th November 2016, 08:24 PM
Well we ended up ok , good to see them knuckle down with the bat against some bloody good bowling
Hazelwood bowled very well good performance so far this series he is impressing more and more
Still gonna need a lot of luck to make a game of it though , but there were at least some signs today

Much more patience was shown with the bat and once they finally got started with the ball they rolled on. We need big partnerships and some big hundreds to save face vs a capitulation and losing wickets in clusters. They have to be prepared to bat out tough periods for not may runs. Rogers was excellent at this with his tight compact game and matue temperament.

I tink Siddle would have bowled damn well in those first innings conditions.

Coopers Country
14th November 2016, 08:30 PM
Meany does nothing for me , wont swing the ball with that action and wasn,t moving off the seam either , another plodder

TheNuclearOne
14th November 2016, 09:09 PM
Meany does nothing for me , wont swing the ball with that action and wasn,t moving off the seam either , another plodder

He swings it a tad some days from what but not a real hooper. Long way from the stumps in release too. Hopefully Pattinson is back soon with his pacy outswinger. It makes me sad how bad a run Cummins has had, swings the ball away at great pace. Fingers crossed for the longer term. Starc naked hasn't swung it as much in this game as he usually does in favorable conditions.

3oneday
15th November 2016, 08:15 AM
Just out of interest, apart from Warner, when did an Aussie score a "big hundred". Probably Smith last year?

LarryLong
15th November 2016, 09:20 AM
Just out of interest, apart from Warner, when did an Aussie score a "big hundred". Probably Smith last year?

Voges twice.

Here's the full list from the last two years:

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=batted_ score;qualmin1=100;qualval1=batted_score;spanmax2= 14+Nov+2016;spanmin2=14+Nov+2014;spanval2=span;tea m=2;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

If I really had my nerd on I would look at how that compares to previous periods, but only 7 tons in 2016 seems a little bit light on.

TheNuclearOne
15th November 2016, 10:37 AM
Stacks of big hundreds at home in recent history. Been a few away too excepting sub continents.

TheNuclearOne
15th November 2016, 11:02 AM
Potentially over in 3 1/2 days with one of those days lost to rain unless we get some serious rudder action.

Coopers Country
15th November 2016, 11:27 AM
I thought we would at least make them bat again but not looking good

TheNuclearOne
15th November 2016, 11:28 AM
I thought we would at least make them bat again but not looking good

Looking terrible lol

Moe Norman
15th November 2016, 11:35 AM
Jake Lehmann.

It's time

3Puttpete
15th November 2016, 11:40 AM
There's not a lot of fight in this team Bump

pt73
15th November 2016, 11:58 AM
All out for 161, SA won by an innings and 80 runs.

3Puttpete
15th November 2016, 12:01 PM
8/32 this morning

LarryLong
15th November 2016, 12:03 PM
Holy shit.

Find some blokes who can make runs when the ball is doing something. That is all.

markTHEblake
15th November 2016, 01:24 PM
Find some blokes who can make runs when the ball is doing something. That is all.
Dunno what all the recent fuss is over the top order, they have been failing for years. Its just that up until recently the tail has been bailing them out.

AndyP
15th November 2016, 01:49 PM
****ing useless.

I hope we don't have to play Bangladesh or Zimbabwe any time soon.

pt73
15th November 2016, 02:12 PM
****ing useless.

I hope we don't have to play Bangladesh or Zimbabwe any time soon.
Unfortunately our next opponents are Pakistan, the #2 ranked Test side.

TheNuclearOne
15th November 2016, 02:16 PM

Prior to the last two Tests i'd have been extremely confident, they are pretty ordinary here and we had been strong at home recently but now it's looking interesting.

Pakistan have improved quite a bit and have a excellent batting side. Amir will also be improving and could well hit his straps out here. If he does he will be a real handful.

thecollective
15th November 2016, 02:25 PM
Holy shit.

How about not swinging away at every single loose delivery on a green wicket.....

'take it to the opposition' sure; but not at the expense of your wicket

its test cricket not 20/20

AndyP
15th November 2016, 02:30 PM
That's nothing to worry about, because we can expect to lose against them. A loss to the two sides that I mentioned would be the ultimate embarrassment.

Toxic
15th November 2016, 04:55 PM
Can see those who've never played county cricket for extended periods.20/20 is killing aussie test batsman.

Moe Norman
15th November 2016, 05:37 PM
India are ranked #1 in the world in Test cricket.

Their players play more T20 cricket on flat wickets than anyone.

T20 cricket is not the problem. Every country plays T20 cricket, including the one that jsut handed us our arse.

jimandr
15th November 2016, 06:01 PM
Can see those who've never played county cricket for extended periods.20/20 is killing aussie test batsman.

unfortunately, that one doesn't stack up. Burns, Voges, and Ferguson have all played some County Cricket. Indeed, in the age of year round tests and other cricket, county cricket isn't strong any longer. Virtually none of the best players play. Not even the best English guys.

I don't have any answers, but I hope Ferguson gets another test at home. There are some Shield games this weekend. It could be that anyone who makes runs will get a chance.

3Puttpete
15th November 2016, 06:16 PM
They've also tightened the rules making it harder for overseas players to play county cricket

3Puttpete
15th November 2016, 06:17 PM
There are some Shield games this weekend. It could be that anyone who makes runs will get a chance.

Like Burns before he got picked for this one

3oneday
15th November 2016, 06:18 PM
India are ranked #1 in the world in Test cricket.

Their players play more T20 cricket on flat wickets than anyone.

T20 cricket is not the problem. Every country plays T20 cricket, including the one that jsut handed us our arse.so you keep saying.

Are you actually comparing Indian batting technique to Australian? Chalk v cheese?

Wristy elegant players on flat pitches against a country keen to make fast cash attempting to take bash and barge to test cricket, unsuccessfully? i think the general argument is that the Aussie techniques is flawed for some reason, and that 20/20 won't be helping them?

I'm also sure we could bat on flat pitches too, but we seem unable to prepare a pitch that suits us? If anyone knew what sort of pitch that was :lol:

TheNuclearOne
15th November 2016, 07:11 PM
I'm also sure we could bat on flat pitches too, but we seem unable to prepare a pitch that suits us? If anyone knew what sort of pitch that was :lol:

Pitch won't matter if it starts reversing. They'd still get us out on concrete LOLOL

First thing we need to do is introduce the Duke balls to Shield, which is happening in the second half of the season. I would also be having the curators prepare greener wickets. Force better batting techniques and adaption. Possibly even pick out one ground/state wicket and build it up as close to being a spinners paradise as we can.

TheNuclearOne
15th November 2016, 10:37 PM
Interesting times?

Australia's coach Darren Lehmann has guaranteed the places of just four members of the Hobart Test XI. On a day South Africa completed a dominant series victory, the Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland and high performance chief Pat Howard joined former players for introspective talks on the state of the team in the Bellerive Oval dressing room.
Lehmann, who has been told to "reinvent himself" by Howard, stated that only the captain Steven Smith (http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/267192.html), his deputy David Warner (http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/219889.html) and the pacemen Mitchell Starc (http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/311592.html) and Josh Hazlewood (http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/288284.html) are safe from the axe ahead of next week's day-night Test in Adelaide. All members of the team apart from Starc, Hazlewood and the seamer Joe Mennie are to play in the Sheffield Shield round starting on Thursday, in a departure from previous plans.

3oneday
15th November 2016, 10:42 PM
Has it gone to shit ever since rugby expert Pat Howard was in charge of performance?

coalesce
15th November 2016, 10:46 PM
I'm sure changing 7 players will miraculously fix everything. Welcome to England of the 80s/90s

TheNuclearOne
16th November 2016, 12:24 AM
I'm sure changing 7 players will miraculously fix everything. Welcome to England of the 80s/90s

They aren't talking changing 7 players, just saying that only 4 are safe.

Voges got a million runs not that long ago at all. Lyon's always very handy and his record is actually extremely good. Nevill is a top gloveman. Those are the three most in the firing line apparently.

Voges is likely in trouble because of his age. Makes for a good scapegoat. He still averages 61.

Lyon tho sporting a top overall record seldom gets the job done oversea's when others are and seldom delivers in the final stages when the wicket is crumbling and other spinners wreak havoc and win games. Do we have a better option tho? Also, who will sing the team song! Maybe it won't need to be sung often LOLOL

Nevill is averaging 22 with the bat, not good enough really but he's keeping well. He's also older than you'd think. There's talk of Wade i hope his keeping has improved if so.

3Puttpete
16th November 2016, 12:31 AM
Voges' average is inflated by so few tests and not outs against spuds

TheNuclearOne
16th November 2016, 01:20 AM
Voges' average is inflated by so few tests and not outs against spuds

It's inflated by his 269no>106no>139 in succession and just 31 innings as you say but i'd put Southee and Boult above spud level. He does have some massive no's against W.I. who are indeed quite average. He batted ok right at the death of the pom series.

He can definitely bat but at his age you are just a short poor spell away from finished.

If they changed those 3 out for youth i wouldn't punch walls or anything. Lyon would be the unluckiest.

Makes for some great pressure and high stakes in the shield games this weekend!!! If a Voges has two failures he'd be gone for sure you'd think? Burns could do with runs too tho he has tasted success and is a view to the future. I wouldn't be getting too comfortable tho, the hierarchy are talking tough!!!

coalesce
16th November 2016, 04:21 AM
I think Lyon has a different problem to the others in that Smith doesn't trust him/doesn't know how to use him. He's proven time and again he's the best offie currently available. I don't see how swapping him for someone else (who?) achieves anything at all. If anything he should be bowling more than he has been

Having said that would not be at all surprised if Lehmann picks O'Keefe for Adelaide because of his supposed pink ball specialism.

Daves
16th November 2016, 07:24 AM
It was interesting that Chappelli pointed the finger at the Argus report, and the subsequent creation of the Performance role as the start of the decline.

3oneday
16th November 2016, 07:48 AM
Now they're infecting the Socceroos :(

TheNuclearOne
16th November 2016, 11:55 AM
I think Lyon has a different problem to the others in that Smith doesn't trust him/doesn't know how to use him. He's proven time and again he's the best offie currently available. I don't see how swapping him for someone else (who?) achieves anything at all. If anything he should be bowling more than he has been

Having said that would not be at all surprised if Lehmann picks O'Keefe for Adelaide because of his supposed pink ball specialism.

They've only been banging on about Smith not trusting him in the last 3 weeks tho. Absolutely it wouldn't be helping him.

He's the best about, but they might embrace a few sudden changes to be seen like they are doing something.

He's actually young for an off spinner and has many years of shelf life left.

It's been rapidly forgotten that prior to the Sri Lanka series we'd not lost a Test in our previous 9, winning 7 and drawing 2 with basically the same players.

Also, South Africa and us have never won a series at home in the last decade or so. We take turns beating each other away.

On the negative we are usually strong in Sri Lanka but got flogged.

Any changes will be made with a heavy view to the overall team make up for Pom tour here this time next year. There's not that much time to bed in new players.

I'd build the batting around Smith, Warner and Kwaka and give Burns the next Test and a couple against Pakistan to bed back in. Shaun Marsh will probably sneak into that lot with runs against Pakistan. That leaves one spot open with the potential for 1-2 more depending on performance.

I'd be eschewing all rounders until someone actually truly puts their hand up via performances. Keeper spot definately open. Lack of team runs as much as his own batting might hurt Nevill. If the team were scoring runs his own batting might be easier and the team would be winning more leading to less scrutiny on his spot.

The fast bowling will sort itself out via injury and comebacks from it. We've got some excellent bowlers about we just have to find a way to keep them on the park. I reckon the current system will be heavily looked at in the not to distant future as it's obviously not working. I'd keep also Lyon unless a leg spinner comes forth. He's an extremely handy cricketer.

Can't wait to see what they do, big or small.

Coopers Country
16th November 2016, 12:40 PM
TNO have you put your hand up for Rod Marsh's job sounds like you have more idea than him
The selectors are only chest beating when they say only two batsmen are safe , they haven't got anyone else to pick really , the state of Shield cricket is pretty pathetic at the moment as well , there really isn't anyone beating the door down with performances , but there hasn't been many games either
Voges will probably be the scapegoat because of age and maybe Neville , but they are easy decisions for the selectors so will probably be the way they go
I agree with Warner , Smith and Kwaka all have pretty solid techniques , Shaun Marsh has impressed me the more I see him , for the same reason has a solid technique , Burns , can he bat at 5 ? he is iffy outside off stump , but not as much of a problem if he is not opening
The first 2 positions in the bowling pick themselves , still brittle in the third seamer spot , but like you said TNO injury has definitely cost us there , the spinners spot is another where selectors often make a change when things aren't working , and wouldn't surprise me if they picked O'Keefe to strengthen the batting , but its a stop gap , Lyon would be very unlucky he doesn't do much wrong
Will be interesting because the selectors are on the block now as well

TheNuclearOne
16th November 2016, 01:07 PM
TNO have you put your hand up for Rod Marsh's job sounds like you have more idea than him
The selectors are only chest beating when they say only two batsmen are safe , they haven't got anyone else to pick really , the state of Shield cricket is pretty pathetic at the moment as well , there really isn't anyone beating the door down with performances , but there hasn't been many games either
Voges will probably be the scapegoat because of age and maybe Neville , but they are easy decisions for the selectors so will probably be the way they go
I agree with Warner , Smith and Kwaka all have pretty solid techniques , Shaun Marsh has impressed me the more I see him , for the same reason has a solid technique , Burns , can he bat at 5 ? he is iffy outside off stump , but not as much of a problem if he is not opening
The first 2 positions in the bowling pick themselves , still brittle in the third seamer spot , but like you said TNO injury has definitely cost us there , the spinners spot is another where selectors often make a change when things aren't working , and wouldn't surprise me if they picked O'Keefe to strengthen the batting , but its a stop gap , Lyon would be very unlucky he doesn't do much wrong
Will be interesting because the selectors are on the block now as well

Burns has been tighening up his technique a bit, got some good runs over NZ vs the moving ball. They had him where they wanted him then made a couple of them pay for poor team efforts in SL. You are right tho, if they wanted to open with Marsh Burns could could pop down the order for a while. He's in a dicey spot now the way the selectors have rolled.

Head, Lehmann and Kurtis Patterson are being bandied around a bit apparently.

Moe Norman
16th November 2016, 01:23 PM
so you keep saying.

Are you actually comparing Indian batting technique to Australian? Chalk v cheese?

Wristy elegant players on flat pitches against a country keen to make fast cash attempting to take bash and barge to test cricket, unsuccessfully? i think the general argument is that the Aussie techniques is flawed for some reason, and that 20/20 won't be helping them?

South Africa play T20 cricket also, in case you hadn't heard?

3oneday
16th November 2016, 01:34 PM
Lucky you came back. I'd repeat myself, but it's becoming tiresome.

3oneday
16th November 2016, 02:42 PM
So, moving on, will they actually make 7 changes?

TheNuclearOne
16th November 2016, 02:56 PM
Not a chance imo. They just said 4 are safe.

pt73
16th November 2016, 03:08 PM
Has it gone to shit ever since rugby expert Pat Howard was in charge of performance?
Don't sell him short he's also got a Pharmacy degree.

3Puttpete
16th November 2016, 03:11 PM
Burns has been tighening up his technique a bit, got some good runs over NZ vs the moving ball. They had him where they wanted him then made a couple of them pay for poor team efforts in SL. You are right tho, if they wanted to open with Marsh Burns could could pop down the order for a while. He's in a dicey spot now the way the selectors have rolled.

Head, Lehmann and Kurtis Patterson are being bandied around a bit apparently.

I think you give Burns too much credit saying he paid for poor team effort.

TheNuclearOne
16th November 2016, 03:27 PM
I think you give Burns too much credit saying he paid for poor team effort.

If the team would have performed and won one of or both games before he was dropped i don't think he would have been dropped is where i am coming from.

In the Test before Sri Lanka he scored 170 and 65. He then has two bad games and is gawn when we'd been looking for decent young bats to show some mettle for ages.

I just think he was a tad hard done by, particularly looking at what the selectors did over there. It was a shambles.

I've never thought him to be any sort of savior myself, it was just looking like we'd found a good long term young top order bat. Everything was going to plan until Sri Lanka and now he is on the edge of the precipice.

3Puttpete
16th November 2016, 03:58 PM
If the team would have performed and won one of or both games before he was dropped i don't think he would have been dropped is where i am coming from.

In the Test before Sri Lanka he scored 170 and 65. He then has two bad games and is gawn when we'd been looking for decent young bats to show some mettle for ages.

I just think he was a tad hard done by, particularly looking at what the selectors did over there. It was a shambles.

I've never thought him to be any sort of savior myself, it was just looking like we'd found a good long term young top order bat. Everything was going to plan until Sri Lanka and now he is on the edge of the precipice.

Ahhhh, I'm with you now. A win papers over cracks.

coalesce
16th November 2016, 04:21 PM
Too early for Lehmann Jr imho and that's from a Redbacks fan. Head is ready tho

BenM
16th November 2016, 04:39 PM
Rod Marsh has resigned from the selection panel.

Yay!!!!

backintheswing
16th November 2016, 04:48 PM

Yay!!!!

Couldn't agree more.

BenM
16th November 2016, 04:49 PM
Couldn't agree more.

Best thing to come from this whole debacle for mine.

backintheswing
16th November 2016, 04:50 PM
As soon as they said this morning he had the boards full support until July 2017, I thought he might be gone.

Sydney Hacker
16th November 2016, 04:56 PM
Remember when we hated the Poms because they had the foresight to get Marsh as their director of cricket?

TheNuclearOne
16th November 2016, 05:08 PM
Remember when we hated the Poms because they had the foresight to get Marsh as their director of cricket?

He was somewhat relevant then, particularly for where the Poms were at. He sure ain't now, time has passed him by.

TheNuclearOne
16th November 2016, 05:10 PM
Ahhhh, I'm with you now. A win papers over cracks.

A win gives struggling performers more time to find form. I wouldn't call 2 bad Tests a crack, he was averaging over 40 prior and going quite well. You can find 2 bad Tests in succession among any batsmans resume.

highballin
16th November 2016, 05:56 PM
Bring back Watto. We could do with a stylish 30 runs now days

Toxic
16th November 2016, 06:00 PM
Bring back Watto. We could do with a stylish 30 runs now days Did laugh very loudly

Jarro
16th November 2016, 06:19 PM

Yay!!!!

Yay indeed.

Surely Sutherland has to follow suit ??

markTHEblake
16th November 2016, 06:22 PM
Didnt things go downhill from the moment Mickey Arthur got the sack?

Jarro
16th November 2016, 06:24 PM
Didnt things go downhill from the moment Mickey Arthur got the sack?

I think they improved actually ....

Coopers Country
16th November 2016, 06:25 PM
Yess for Rod *&@# off , gonna have a Pale for that same as I did when SA got rid of him , SA has only moved forward since he has gone

As for Sutherland surely CEO's shouldn't be growing movembers he looks ridiculous , but he has the same board backing him

TheNuclearOne
16th November 2016, 07:09 PM
http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/evidence-emerges-of-suspect-proteas-tactic-during-second-test/news-story/0771483b9dcfbfaacfb648d2761cabcc

coalesce
16th November 2016, 07:19 PM
http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/evidence-emerges-of-suspect-proteas-tactic-during-second-test/news-story/0771483b9dcfbfaacfb648d2761cabcc

They all do it. Plus the part about throwing the ball in on the bounce, they all do that too - I actually heard it mentioned on ABC when Warner did it in one of these last 2 tests

TheNuclearOne
16th November 2016, 07:29 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD2qa851HAI

Coopers Country
16th November 2016, 07:41 PM
Sunscreen is the best , along with plain ol sweat , oh and bowlers that can hit the seam

3Puttpete
16th November 2016, 08:08 PM
Sunscreen is the best , along with plain ol sweat , oh and bowlers that can hit the seam

They actually avoid sweat when trying to get it to reverse

TheNuclearOne
16th November 2016, 08:16 PM
What I don't understand about our selectors. <br>
For years McGrath would put the ball in the corridor of uncertainty at low 130s high 120s, and got buckets of wickets and seemingly few injuries. <br>
Philander just ran through us at similar speeds.<br>

TheNuclearOne
17th November 2016, 02:27 PM
In the interim Hohns will chair the panel, and Greg Chappell has been recalled to sit on the selection panel. Chappell has his finger on the pulse with the young talent apparently. It's good they will take their time in making the full time appointments.

TheNuclearOne
17th November 2016, 02:30 PM
In the Shield shootout Burns has failed and Kwaka is a rapid 90no. Sayers has bowled tightly. He's a bolter if he can pick a couple up. Voges in now.

TheNuclearOne
17th November 2016, 03:15 PM
Kwaka out for 106, pencil to ink you'd think.

Steve57
17th November 2016, 03:31 PM
Voges retired hurt, 16 from 46, don't know what the problem is.

3Puttpete
17th November 2016, 03:49 PM

Concussion. Bouncer to the head

Steve57
17th November 2016, 03:58 PM
Concussion. Bouncer to the head
Yep that would do it!

3oneday
17th November 2016, 04:37 PM
Kwaja made enough runs first two tests anyway.

Ferguson and Voges have to go, forget winning, blood two youngsters.

TheNuclearOne
17th November 2016, 05:31 PM
What's Handscomb like with the gloves when he gets them off Wade?

Toxic
17th November 2016, 09:00 PM
What's Handscomb like with the gloves when he gets them off Wade? Solid, but not proven to be top notch

TheNuclearOne
18th November 2016, 12:12 AM
Solid, but not proven to be top notch

Cheers.

TheNuclearOne
18th November 2016, 01:52 PM
Handscomb 170no and Ferguson just came out to bat against QLD with Lehmann later.

TheNuclearOne
18th November 2016, 02:14 PM
Ferguson gawn for 4, fellow hopeful Travis Head new in.

damoocow
18th November 2016, 02:25 PM

Thanks goodness he didn't die or the papers would be mourning the loss of one of the absolute greats of Australian cricket.

AndyP
18th November 2016, 02:39 PM
Thanks goodness he didn't die or the papers would be mourning the loss of one of the absolute greats of Australian cricket.
Second best average of all time for those who have played over 20 tests. Great isn't a strong enough word.

TheNuclearOne
18th November 2016, 02:50 PM
Handscomb over the 200 and still going. Pakistan skittled for 133 over the pond by a debutant but have two early wickets.

Steve57
18th November 2016, 03:40 PM
Lehmann 7 , Head 37, White 75no, Doolan 85no

TheNuclearOne
18th November 2016, 04:30 PM
Lehmann 7 , Head 37, White 75no, Doolan 85no

All eyes on Patterson now when he bats. A ton will have him deeeeeeep in the mix.

TheNuclearOne
18th November 2016, 06:06 PM
They all do it. Plus the part about throwing the ball in on the bounce, they all do that too - I actually heard it mentioned on ABC when Warner did it in one of these last 2 tests

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-south-africa-2016-17/content/story/1066888.html

TheNuclearOne
19th November 2016, 12:01 PM
Patterson 55, Burns and Renshaw up again. Maddinson and Moses no good.

TheNuclearOne
19th November 2016, 12:30 PM
Burns gone already, 18 runs from his last 6 digs.

AndyP
19th November 2016, 01:29 PM
It is the most interesting Shield round for a long time. It should be like this more often.

TheNuclearOne
19th November 2016, 01:53 PM
It is the most interesting Shield round for a long time. It should be like this more often.

Hopefully it heads back to what it used to be.

TheNuclearOne
19th November 2016, 03:00 PM
Bancroft fails twice.

TheNuclearOne
19th November 2016, 06:08 PM
Bancroft fails twice.

Add Ferguson to the list.Behrendorff 5 for. Tremain has gone really well too. If the selectors are genuine about performance mattering this weekend a lot of bats in contention have made if easy for them. Only one young gun has risen right above the pack so far. Still a bit of time. O'Keefe has outdone Lyon but neither set the world on fire.

AndyP
20th November 2016, 03:11 PM
I've heard a few people talk Renshaw up during the week, and the rumour is that he will be named.

TheNuclearOne
20th November 2016, 04:04 PM
I've heard a few people talk Renshaw up during the week, and the rumour is that he will be named.

Saw the same. Bancroft failed twice as did Burns.

AndyP
20th November 2016, 04:16 PM
We should find out in about 10 minutes.

coalesce
20th November 2016, 04:46 PM
Renshaw is a punt (tho a bit like Hameed for England). Things must be desperate if you need to pick a Pom to sure up your batting order :)

I didn't like the quote from Hohns that "Sayers bowls well in Adelaide". Sounds like they are setting him up for a one and done...

AndyP
20th November 2016, 04:54 PM
Bang! Big changes, and maybe too many.

TheNuclearOne
20th November 2016, 04:58 PM
Gawd let me go look.

TheNuclearOne
20th November 2016, 05:06 PM
Surprised Maddinson got a gig over the likes of Patterson but he's NSW after all. He is one of our promising guys and it could well bring out the best in him. A definite talent. They must want to wait on Patterson a bit. Maddinson is a bit more experienced. I like Sayers, he moves it about and reminds me a tad of Alderman. Being a day night game he could be very handy if he runs on. Hopefully Wade has improved his keeping. He can certainly bat tho i thought he needed some runs on the weekend.

TheNuclearOne
20th November 2016, 05:08 PM
They have to give them a decent bloody go now.

coalesce
20th November 2016, 05:32 PM
You've gotta be a bit pissed if you're Mennie. Kept out of the shield games this round and then dropped

3Puttpete
20th November 2016, 06:31 PM
You've gotta be a bit pissed if you're Mennie. Kept out of the shield games this round and then dropped

He's hurt isnt he?

LarryLong
20th November 2016, 07:10 PM
Throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Great to have you back, Trevor Hohns.

I think the biggest problem is that they pick players on future potential, always building for that mythical future series where a year or two of rebuild will pay off with a world beating combination forged in the ashes of defeat and learning. It's total bullshit, but it sounds good when you say it. They over-think it. Just pick the best 11 players in the country, right now. Not the guys who they think have something special in the future. Don't favour young blokes. And never, ever, make changes just because you lost if you lost with your best 11 on the park.

coalesce
20th November 2016, 07:38 PM
He's hurt isnt he?

Nope. Played for his grade club this weekend but was kept out of the shield by Cricket Aus along with Starc and Hazlewood

highballin
21st November 2016, 09:01 PM
Bang! Big changes, and maybe too many.

Yeah we might get bowled out for less than 85

TheNuclearOne
21st November 2016, 09:51 PM
Certainly going to be fascinating. Wade has heaps of experience. Where's MTB? He won't be happy a young debutant is going to open up the innings.

mrbluu
22nd November 2016, 10:29 AM
I'm finding it hilarious that the Saffers are firing up and having a sook cos Fussy got charged for ball tempering.

Alot of teams apparently do it, but not as obviously as he did!!!

3oneday
22nd November 2016, 01:34 PM
Blatant cheating, but height of stupidity given how shit Aussies are going anyway, maybe he's a dumbo

TheNuclearOne
22nd November 2016, 03:38 PM
Blatant for sure. Only about a day prior to the story Starc was saying how they were shocked at the amount of reverse S.A. were getting when they themselves couldn't get a thing. It all helps and everyone knows once the ball starts moving we are clueless.

Coopers Country
22nd November 2016, 03:41 PM
Definitely funny , bigger sooks are the Australian media all up in arms cause one of their bullyboys has been assaulted , I know where I would have stuck his microphone

3oneday
22nd November 2016, 06:31 PM
Needed a Ronaldo moment :)

Can't see why they didn't simply spray some aeroguard on it to see if that helped.

3oneday
22nd November 2016, 09:29 PM
Slapped with a feather, standard gutless ICC.

TheNuclearOne
22nd November 2016, 09:52 PM
S.A. played the hard line and they went to water.

coalesce
22nd November 2016, 11:00 PM
He got off because when they looked at the ball it was in mint condition

mrbluu
22nd November 2016, 11:02 PM
Boom Tish!!!😅

TheNuclearOne
23rd November 2016, 06:27 AM

Bwahahahahahaha

Sydney Hacker
24th November 2016, 09:10 PM
Warner needs to learn to snap it off sooner!

3Puttpete
24th November 2016, 10:15 PM
Nice declaration. I like Faf

Toxic
24th November 2016, 10:32 PM
Loving uzzie and Renshaw placing some value on their wicket

coalesce
24th November 2016, 11:16 PM
Not sure how it looked on TV but seemed like there was a bit of variable bounce in the wicket today? Certainly a lot of turn for day 1 too

Faf batted well but I think his middle order let him down today. They looked quite skittish. The JP Duminy dismissal was strange - huge waft at one and missed it by so much it took the inside edge. Bavuma looked like he was looking for ways to get out

I liked the declaration too, but less so when I found out it was because Warner couldn't bat. Personally I'd have preferred to have him out there batting in that period where he would have nothing much to gain

After getting through the last session unscathed, it's definitely advantage Aussies. Plan should be to bat most of tomorrow and maybe have a dart at them in the last 5-10 overs (or somehow bat all day!)

jimandr
25th November 2016, 12:10 AM
I thought the bounce was reasonably consistent but a bit higher than usual. Certainly Lyon was both turning and bouncing them. I'd be interested in the views of Coalesce from the ground about Lyon's pace. He seemed to be pushing them through even more than usual, when the situation was crying out for slower bowling.

The wicket was still doing a bit all day, and I could imagine Philander being quite a handful if he gets into us early. It could easily be another case of two out, collapse and all out. I'd love to be wrong though.

It was still quite a good days play to watch. Much more interesting than the golf.

TheNuclearOne
25th November 2016, 06:36 AM
I liked the declaration too, but less so when I found out it was because Warner couldn't bat. Personally I'd have preferred to have him out there batting in that period where he would have nothing much to gain

Faf is getting plaudits for being a tactical genius but at the end of the day they didn't get the break thru. Great idea but we survived it. Warner would have played more shots/taken more risks in that dangerous little period that's for sure. Renshaw let plenty of balls go and looked to have a older school openers mentality, just what we need if he happens to find his feet at this level. Great stuff from he and Kwaka. Hopefully Warner is fiercely determined due to what transpired.

coalesce
25th November 2016, 07:36 AM
I thought the bounce was reasonably consistent but a bit higher than usual. Certainly Lyon was both turning and bouncing them. I'd be interested in the views of Coalesce from the ground about Lyon's pace. He seemed to be pushing them through even more than usual, when the situation was crying out for slower bowling.

He did seem to be bowling darts. He was coming up on the speed gun at 90-95kph. I always thought Warney went on about bowling in the 80s range being optimum

The field placings for Lyon were interesting, for instance giving a single at mid off/on straight away. I'd have thought especially given there was turn to tempt the batsmen to hit in the air might not be a bad thing. Especially as those singles were a fair chunk of the runs scored off him and he didn't give too much else away

3oneday
25th November 2016, 08:23 AM
It looked to me as though Australia were bowling to not get them out so they didn't have to bat. Starc fell into that old trap of bowling short crap to tailenders with no ability it seemed to bowl a yorker. Clearly, as he has the ability, replace with "no desire to".

Pretty cynical/weak stuff from the Aussies for mine.

I'm starting to think Warner and Smith are what is wrong with that team, Warner particularly. He goes out swinging and the rest think they can do the same.

Test cricket is what those two opening fellas did last night, fight hard and pick the right balls to hit (except for Kuwagas first ball :shock:).

I love watching Warner in full cry, but his 20/20 attitude could be where we started going wrong (for mine :))

highballin
25th November 2016, 08:26 AM
Faf is getting plaudits for being a tactical genius but at the end of the day they didn't get the break thru. Great idea but we survived it. Warner would have played more shots/taken more risks in that dangerous little period that's for sure. Renshaw let plenty of balls go and looked to have a older school openers mentality, just what we need if he happens to find his feet at this level. Great stuff from he and Kwaka. Hopefully Warner is fiercely determined due to what transpired.

Yep was good to see Aussie batsmen who knew where there off stump is

AndyP
25th November 2016, 09:00 AM
Faf is getting plaudits for being a tactical genius but at the end of the day they didn't get the break thru. And gave up the opportunity to score more runs.

Coopers Country
25th November 2016, 09:52 AM
Yeah couldn't understand Starc bowling around the wicket to the tail enders , takes the slips out of play and makes it easier for them to score. Typical bowling to a plan crap instead of thinking on your feet.
Apart from that the bowling was pretty good , although Lyon is going to have to get some wickets otherwise the crosshairs will be on him . Wades bit of work with Rabada was pretty quick , don't think we have lost anything there , and should have gained with the bat , Wade at 7 sounds good .
They batted pretty well in a tough situation last night and it was good to see the batsman smiling and enjoying themselves , Kwaka's impersonation of Warner first ball was a little worrying :D
Lets get some runs today

TheNuclearOne
25th November 2016, 09:59 AM
And gave up the opportunity to score more runs.

Yeah, double whammy. They were going ok, must have put on 40 odd undefeated for the last wicket. A really interesting days cricket is set up now. I hope some of the young guys can get among the runs, it'd be great for both themselves and Austalian Cricket.

Moe Norman
25th November 2016, 10:03 AM

trying to be too smart for his own good and it backfired.

Surely bowling at Warner for 12 overs in twilight is the best result SA can get, but instead he sits in the rooms watching his OLED.

He can't do much damage to them, but they can get him out.

Instead, they get Kawajah to open with Renshaw, which would calm Renshaw's nerves further given they are state teammates, while Renshaw likely has never met Warner, nor opened the batting with someone so unorthodox.

Kawajah is a natural opener, so it was hardly a big issue for Australia - but I reckon it played into the Australians hands

TheNuclearOne
25th November 2016, 10:04 AM
I reckon Kwaka was still adjusting to the shock of having to open that first ball hahaha. Apparently Smith was pretty filthy about Warner's error.

coalesce
25th November 2016, 10:16 AM
Glad to read others criticising Starc. He either doesn't have the control or brains that a top top class bowler should have. His pace and ability to swing it covers for the fact he actually bowls quite a lot of filth that gets left alone