PDA

View Full Version : US Open 15-18 June

cazandpaul
1st June 2006, 04:33 PM
To be played at Winged Foot.

Currently qualified: Allenby, Appleby, Campbell, Hensby, Scott, Pampling, Ogilvy, O'Hern.

Several others have sectional qualifying on either 5 or 6 June over 36 holes (Michelle Wie also).

Check out www.usopen.com (http://www.usopen.com) for all sorts of info.

Jarro
1st June 2006, 04:35 PM
Tigger has confirmed he's playing this as well :smt023

3oneday
1st June 2006, 04:39 PM
Damn, destined for a Michelle Wie discussion again, might as well get it started.

Don't care....

Iain
1st June 2006, 04:47 PM
Damn, destined for a Michelle Wie discussion again, might as well get it started.

Don't care....

Don't bring it up, if you don't want it discussed!! :-s:-P

3oneday
1st June 2006, 07:34 PM
Don't bring it up, if you don't want it discussed!! :-s:-PI'll remember you said that !!! Now we wait !!

Pete

damoocow
1st June 2006, 10:07 PM
anyone know if this will be on free to air??

damoocow

cazandpaul
2nd June 2006, 09:31 AM
Looks like it - Foxsports have their coverage later in the day.

cazandpaul
6th June 2006, 10:27 AM
Qualifying results so far:

In: R Green, S Hend, P Tataurangi

Out: M Wie

cazandpaul
7th June 2006, 03:42 AM
In: M Goggin, N Green

Out: Baddeley, Lonard, Parry

Still to qualify: Flanagan, Nitties

BrisVegas
7th June 2006, 06:28 AM
Go Adam! I'd love to see him take out the US Open as his first major win. He's long and straight enough to cope with the layout. I just hope he can make some putts and get the monkey off his back. He seems like a nice guy and I admire his talent.

Jarro
7th June 2006, 07:03 AM
i know who won't be there :roll:

Michelle's US Open bid fails
From staff writers
June 6, 2006

MICHELLE Wie has failed in her bid to become the first woman to play in the US Open.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,5001,5164610,00.jpg

Three consecutive bogeys sent her to a three-over 75 and into the middle of the qualifying pack at Summit, New Jersey today (AEST).

Wie opened with a 68 on the easier South course, and still had a chance to get one of 18 spots available to the 153-player field at Canoe Brook when she strode confidently to the back nine.

Needing at least one birdie to have a chance, her inability to master the greens finally caught up with her.

She finished at one-over 143 and ultimately didn't come close.
"I'm very proud of her," said her father, B.J. Wie.
"A little disappointed, but very proud. I think Michelle demonstrated that it's possible for a woman to play in a men's major."

The 16-year-old from Hawaii will have to stick to the other majors. She now goes to Bulle Rock, north of Baltimore, to play in the LPGA Championship, where she was runner-up last year and will be among the favourites.

3oneday
7th June 2006, 07:20 AM
She played well...

cazandpaul
7th June 2006, 03:22 PM
Out - Flanagan and Nitties

BrisVegas
16th June 2006, 06:25 AM
Why is it that the guy with the funkiest swing on tour (Furyk) is always at or near the top in US Opens???? He's a phenomenon!

Grunt
16th June 2006, 06:37 AM
Tough day at the office for some big names.

BrisWesty
16th June 2006, 06:44 AM
Why is it that the guy with the funkiest swing on tour (Furyk) is always at or near the top in US Opens???? He's a phenomenon!

It doesn't matter whether it looks good, it matters whether it gets the job done, and continues to do so. Good on him.

Jarro
16th June 2006, 08:13 AM
well, what a course :shock: that rough is just insane !!! saw Tiger hit one about 15 feet off the edge of a fairway, and to get it back on the short stuff .. he had to have a huge lash with his sandwedge !!!! that's crazy.

Watched pretty much the whole coverage this morning and can't recall seeing a ball hit by Adam Scott .... so i figured he must be having a barry.

Good to see Montgomerie up there, i'd love to see the cranky old bastard win something in the USA :roll:

nice wad of Aussies hanging around the top of the leaderboard too ...

BrisVegas
16th June 2006, 08:25 AM
It doesn't matter whether it looks good, it matters whether it gets the job done, and continues to do so. Good on him.

Yes mate, I couldn't agree more. :smt002

Jarro
17th June 2006, 07:55 PM
Bye Bye Tiger

Hello David Duval 8)

Fishman Dan
18th June 2006, 10:28 PM
I think it will be a great last round - especially the last few holes!

Will it be a show-down between the man-boobs - Lefty vs Monty? Ogilvy has claims, and form down the stretch. Vijay is very much in the mix, and after his finish last weekend could come home strong again, and don't rule out Paddy Harrington. However a final round of 69 or 70 could be the winner at anywhere from +2 to +5 after 72 holes.

On behalf of one OzGolfer, i hope Poulter gets up and he's a big chance. I think his starting price when reviewing the form was $151.

BrisVegas
19th June 2006, 06:00 AM
Would be great to see Ogilvy hang on for the win. He's got a 1 shot lead going into the back nine. Hard to hold off Mickelson though...

Courty
19th June 2006, 06:20 AM
Go Geoff!

3oneday
19th June 2006, 06:23 AM
Hard to hold off Mickelson though...yessirree

Grunt
19th June 2006, 07:03 AM
Is going to be a tough finish now that Mickleson has 2 shots on Ogilvy and the rest of the field.

3oneday
19th June 2006, 07:07 AM
Mickelson has the best short game in golf, period.... He should get home from here.

See Nick Ahern is sneaking up the leaderboard whilst sitting in the clubhouse too !!!

Pete

Grunt
19th June 2006, 07:30 AM
Could be down to the wire with Monty making a birdie from a mile out!! Mickleson looking at bogey.

peter_rs
19th June 2006, 07:32 AM
Go Monty. Anyone but phil.

Grunt
19th June 2006, 07:36 AM
I'm with you Pete. Phil just made one of the types of tee shots I would do when i had a chance of a win. Monty might have this wrapped up now.

3oneday
19th June 2006, 07:39 AM
Monty might have this wrapped up now.he'd be pooing his pants walking up the last !!!!

Jarro
19th June 2006, 07:39 AM
Phil is choking, so is Ogilvy.

Monty is powering on

Grunt
19th June 2006, 07:42 AM
Ogilvy just chipped in to stay in it.

Jarro
19th June 2006, 07:46 AM
Monty is getting wobbly knees :shock:

peter_rs
19th June 2006, 07:59 AM
monty gone, can phil do it

Jarro
19th June 2006, 08:01 AM
great up&down on 18 by Ogilvy

Jarro
19th June 2006, 08:01 AM
Phil's in trouble :shock:

Grunt
19th June 2006, 08:02 AM
Ogilvy is right back in this!!!!Phil has made it real tough for himself.

Courty
19th June 2006, 08:03 AM
Get in the chatroom, Jarro!

peter_rs
19th June 2006, 08:04 AM
Phil is gone, tried his luck once to often.

Ogilvy Is the WINNER.

fingers crossed.

Grunt
19th June 2006, 08:09 AM
Ogilvy Wins!!!!!!!!

Jarro
19th June 2006, 08:09 AM
Ogilvy Wins !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

terryand
19th June 2006, 08:15 AM
My Avatar says it all :mrgreen:

Iys been 12 months since I used it for myself at last years nudgee Plate :oops:

Terry.

McMw
19th June 2006, 08:19 AM
Can't Frigging BELIEVE IT!!! :D

that was a great chip from 2 bad breaks on the last hole!!!

about lefty - the REAL Lefty decided to play the last 3 holes!!! :lol:

Courty
19th June 2006, 08:22 AM
Thanks go to Grant & Peter_RS for the play-by-play in the chatroom. :D

BrisWesty
19th June 2006, 08:24 AM
YEEEESSSSS!
Sorry can't come to the chatroom. Reports beckon.

BrisVegas
19th June 2006, 08:28 AM
Very happy for Geoff. Seems like a nice bloke and has a solid game, tee to green. Interesting that he didn't rate hs chances because he didn't think he was straight enough off the tee!

Is that a first ever US Open for an Aussie? Thomson won a bunch of British Opens, but did he ever win a US Open?

McMw
19th June 2006, 08:30 AM
David Graham...

1981 - so it's been a long time!!!

3oneday
David Graham did didn't he ???

Pete

Courty
David Graham in 1981

terryand
Very happy for Geoff. Seems like a nice bloke and has a solid game, tee to green. Interesting that he didn't rate hs chances because he didn't think he was straight enough off the tee!

Is that a first ever US Open for an Aussie? Thomson won a bunch of British Opens, but did he ever win a US Open?

Graham won one 25 years ago.

Terry.

3oneday
19th June 2006, 08:31 AM
So, you reckon Graham won then ;)

:lol:

terryand
19th June 2006, 08:31 AM
Jinx you 2 :-D

Terry.

Flowergirl
19th June 2006, 08:40 AM
I had to leave home when Phil was two shots up. Can someone let me know what happened the last few holes please.
What great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mrgreen:

chappy1970
19th June 2006, 09:05 AM
Well done Geoff, long time for a Major win from an Aussie.

Took a craftsman who cut his teeth on the beautiful sandbelt courses of Melbourne to get over the line.

Lets hope this win opens the floodgates for Aussies to dominate in the big ones from now on.

Watched the last hole of Geoff and Phil on the telly at work, unbelievable.......

I've been teaching my 3 year old daughter the names of the top golfers, she now flicks through my Golf Australia mag and can clearly identify 2 golfers already.......in her words(learnt from me), they are Tiger and Fat Phil.

Chappy

Jono
19th June 2006, 09:32 AM
Way to go Geoff! Go Cobra! :mrgreen:

McMw
19th June 2006, 09:35 AM
my fave pic!!! :lol:

http://images.sportsline.com/b/ap/photos/US_OPEN_GOLF5312752_lower.jpg

Courty
19th June 2006, 09:37 AM
He's probably thinking "I wonder how many VB stubbies this will hold" :mrgreen:

Speirsy11
19th June 2006, 09:41 AM
Seems like a nice bloke

He was actually known for being one of the biggest hot-heads (and Jerks) on TOUR for a while.....Very quick with his caddy and capable of going headless for minute things, similar to Monty, but has aparently calmed down a lot since he got married. It's like most guys who are there in their 20's.....Struggling to figure it all out. Nice to see he's gotten the temper under control (which he obviously has, he showed incredible patience and concentration with each missed green today) and is playing some of the best golf in the world. He's a hard worker who has really earned this win.

Have to say, one more win from Ogilvy and he has to be the front runner for Player of the Year, especially if the next win is a big one like the TOUR Championship or something........

Also, his cousin is a Sydneysider whose Roomate is a member here......Enjoy the day boys :) wish I could be there :P

Speirsy

Speirsy11
19th June 2006, 09:42 AM
my fave pic!!! :lol:

http://images.sportsline.com/b/ap/photos/US_OPEN_GOLF5312752_lower.jpg
LOL Exactly what I was thinking!

Great minds I guess :P

PeteyD
19th June 2006, 09:46 AM
He is thinking "So why isn't there any beer?"

Bruce
19th June 2006, 09:54 AM
I am going to submit to the James Randi foundation for the million bucks. I was succesfully able to moz Phil from ~10000km away on 17 and 18.

"Keep hitting the driver Phil - it's what got you to the lead" - this is the thought I implanted in his caddie's head.

Ogilvy's clutch up and down on 18 was awesome. A par on a hole that killed off multiple contenders was just pure gold.

I am tired and my eyes are hanging out of my head - but I feel great.

McMw
19th June 2006, 10:37 AM
I thought Ogilvy would have lost his cool (and almost looked like he did) when he bunkered his approach on the 11th... but that was a great putt he hit that didn't go in...and another on 15th I think...

says a lot bout his game when the other aussies on tour who's been there a lot longer than Ogilvy's 4-5 years can't grab a major... :D

loved one of the commentator's reaction to Ogilvy's swing - it looks the same all the time!!!

Grunt
19th June 2006, 11:39 AM
I think it was Ogilvy, that a few years ago when watching the Golf on 7, that Jack Newton said that once this kid does not get so hard on himself on the golf course he is going to be a champion. Guess Jack is smiling now. I Know alot of people don't like Jack's commentary of the golf but he must have seen this coming for a few years.

McMw
19th June 2006, 11:44 AM
question now is - can he win an aussie tournament now??? :D

Grunt
19th June 2006, 11:46 AM
Another ? is. will he play here? Guess he will get invite to Sun City now.

AndyP
19th June 2006, 11:50 AM
I think it was Ogilvy, that a few years ago when watching the Golf on 7, that Jack Newton said that once this kid does not get so hard on himself on the golf course he is going to be a champion. Guess Jack is smiling now. I Know alot of people don't like Jack's commentary of the golf but he must have seen this coming for a few years.
If you say it about enough people, you're bound to get it right sooner or later, aren't you?

McMw
19th June 2006, 11:55 AM
Another ? is. will he play here? Guess he will get invite to Sun City now.

you would think the powers in charge would do their best to get a US Open Winner to play in as many tourneys as they can on their home soil!!!
besides - Sun City is only one weekend out...

it's a race btw Ogilvy and Scott now... :mrgreen:

andylo
19th June 2006, 12:21 PM
is my english just getting worst or not?!

Reading stuff writen by Golf Digest editors and they say PAR is boring, its the course make the great players don't win but only the conservative one does.....

I wonder what they will say if the winner was lefty!

http://golfdigest.com/majors/usopen/index.ssf?/majors/usopen/20060618rudy.html

McMw
19th June 2006, 12:33 PM
the way I read it - he was having a crack at the USGA for the course set-up...

he was having a crack at everyone - so he was being fair!!!

Jono
19th June 2006, 04:43 PM
He was actually known for being one of the biggest hot-heads (and Jerks) on TOUR for a while.....Very quick with his caddy and capable of going headless for minute things, similar to Monty, but has aparently calmed down a lot since he got married. It's like most guys who are there in their 20's.....Struggling to figure it all out. Nice to see he's gotten the temper under control (which he obviously has, he showed incredible patience and concentration with each missed green today) and is playing some of the best golf in the world. He's a hard worker who has really earned this win.

Have to say, one more win from Ogilvy and he has to be the front runner for Player of the Year, especially if the next win is a big one like the TOUR Championship or something........

Also, his cousin is a Sydneysider whose Roomate is a member here......Enjoy the day boys :) wish I could be there :P

Speirsy

There was something going on between him and his caddy during the latter stages of the third round. The commentators picked up on it. Geoff was unhappy with his caddy for some reason and his body language showed it too. Anyway, I'm glad he was able to put it behind him and win. 8)

3oneday
19th June 2006, 04:53 PM
What Cobra is he using Jono, their ball ????

:p

Jarro
19th June 2006, 05:10 PM
he's certainly playing their woods

goughy
19th June 2006, 05:21 PM
he's spose to be using tour released blades as well isn't he

McMw
19th June 2006, 05:26 PM
There was something going on between him and his caddy during the latter stages of the third round. The commentators picked up on it. Geoff was unhappy with his caddy for some reason and his body language showed it too. Anyway, I'm glad he was able to put it behind him and win. 8)

I think it was when he bunkered his approach to the 11th...
he was giving his caddy a dirty look after his approach fell short, and when he saw the ball plugged...

Cobra Driver - Titleist 3wood - Cobra Blades...

McMw
19th June 2006, 09:37 PM
just watching the hilites and replay now - he gave someone a dirty look after his approach to 18 spun off the green...

Speirsy11
19th June 2006, 09:46 PM
I think it was when he bunkered his approach to the 11th...
he was giving his caddy a dirty look after his approach fell short, and when he saw the ball plugged...

Cobra Driver - Titleist 3wood - Cobra Blades...

Actually it had to do with the 12th hole. He wanted to have a go in 2 but the caddy talked him into laying up with 7 iron....Caddy won the argument and he made birdie with the wedge (I think). Maybe Bones should have taken a page out of that book?

goughy
20th June 2006, 05:23 AM
I think you're right there, wasn't it in the 3rd round. I remember him changing clubs back to the 7 iron after some discussion, then after the shot trudging down the fairway in what seemed like disgust. Maybe after the birdie he was embarrassed. It certainly pays to have a caddie who can gear you down into the right decision.

Moe Norman
20th June 2006, 07:00 AM
he made par. not birdie.

his caddy said "a 4 here won't win the tournament, but a 7 could lose it"

Speirsy11
20th June 2006, 07:28 AM
he made par. not birdie.

his caddy said "a 4 here won't win the tournament, but a 7 could lose it"

Brilliant line by the caddy.........Thanks for the clarification too :)

Toolish
20th June 2006, 08:13 AM
hmm...phil...you listening?

After seeing what he did Friday from the same spot I was wondering what he would do on the left on 18...didn't let us down.

Credit has to go to geoff though...the chip in on 17 was brilliant...got the Today show commentators excited anyway.

Wonder how it rated, might be enough to get golf back on TV a bit?

Grunt
20th June 2006, 11:11 AM
Unfortunately I don't think Golf will ever rate high enough to ever be on free to air like it used to be. TV is very highly driven by ratings and advertising budget.
9 admitted that the reason that the golf was offloaded to Fox was that it could not risk losing more ground with the Today show to Sunrise on 7.

Moe Norman
20th June 2006, 12:37 PM
glad he had that bloke on the bag and not Phil's caddy who should have broken his driver over his knee on about the 14th!

goughy
20th June 2006, 07:39 PM
Unfortunately I don't think Golf will ever rate high enough to ever be on free to air like it used to be. TV is very highly driven by ratings and advertising budget.
9 admitted that the reason that the golf was offloaded to Fox was that it could not risk losing more ground with the Today show to Sunrise on 7.

bet they're wishing they'd bought more golf instead of jessica row :)

Bruce
20th June 2006, 08:28 PM
bet they're wishing they'd bought more golf instead of jessica row :)

Doesn't look like it:

US Open fails to boost Today: There was another sporting major yesterday besides the World Cup Soccer on TV but no one took much notice of Geoff Ogilvy's surprise win in the US Open golf major. Today on Nine was mixing US Open Golf, Soccer, football and news coverage in an eccentric attempt to be all things to all people yesterday morning, just as it did on Friday. Full coverage of the US Open was flicked to Pay TV, then used by Nine on the weekend. Yesterday morning, Today averaged just 52,000 people from 6am to 7am, compared to 277,000 on Seven's Early Sunrise. Then from 7am to 9am, Sunrise averaged 557,000 with golf and the soccer playing a part in the broadcast but not dominating like on Nine. Today switched to the golf at around 8am as Australian Geoff Ogilvy seemed to be doing well (he sort of won by default in the end) but the audience didn't really notice: Today averaged 202,000 from 7am to 9am, compared to 201,000 for the same time on Friday. Both figures are between 20,000 and 40,000 under what Today usually averages most mornings. Sunrise from 7am averaged around 551,000 on Friday so its audience edged up a touch yesterday. It must be so frustrating for Nine to see this sort of result. It confirms that viewers, on the whole, have lost faith in Today. – Glenn Dyer

Nine are being bent over in the mornings.

Jarro
20th June 2006, 08:34 PM
they can't match Nat ... she's a babe :smt050 :smt118 :smt119 :smt079 :smt047 :smt016

Courty
20th June 2006, 08:45 PM
they can't match Nat ... she's a babe :smt050 :smt118 :smt119 :smt079 :smt047 :smt016

I'm with you on that one. :smt050

Toolish
21st June 2006, 07:38 AM
Don't watch sunrise...although Jessica Rowe has nearly converted me...

Who is Nat?

AndyP
21st June 2006, 07:44 AM
Nat is annoying, and Kochie has passed his use-by date.

Jarro
21st June 2006, 08:06 AM
Who is Nat?

http://seven.com.au/catalogueFiles/sunrise/images/nat1_65x80.jpg

terryand
21st June 2006, 08:17 AM
Getaway's Nat is better than that Nat :-P

Terry.

Jarro
21st June 2006, 08:21 AM
i agree Tezza.

i wouldn't kick the Sunrise Nat outta the sack though ;)

Moe Norman
21st June 2006, 08:57 AM
even if she farted?

Grunt
21st June 2006, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't **** on her!!!! She is a snotty nose *****.

Jarro
21st June 2006, 04:17 PM
even if she farted?

mate, she could **** in the bed and i'd still stay there :mrgreen:

goughy
21st June 2006, 04:40 PM
We did a gig once where leibman, sharon gidella(whatever, newsreader on today show) and the cute chick who used to do the weather on the today show.

Seriously, Sharon Ghidella absolute stunner dolled up and up close. We weren't expecting much but she was drop dead gorgeous.

Courty
22nd June 2006, 07:11 AM
and the cute chick who used to do the weather on the today show.

That would be Sami Lukis. The blonde with the painted-on eyes. :roll:

Jarro
22nd June 2006, 10:04 AM
That would be Sami Lukis. The blonde with the painted-on eyes. :roll:

.... who now does the sports news on FoxSports :smt023 :smt038

Courty
23rd June 2006, 09:16 AM
Interesting article (http://thesandtrap.com/archives/the_numbers_game/2006_us_open_numbers.php) about some of the facts and stats from this years US Open.

This year, we have some new words because of Winged Foot's 18th hole. "A Phil," or a "Monty"… maybe a "Phonty" can be defined as letting an Aussie win a major championship after throwing up all over oneself.:mrgreen:

I still believe that Ogilvy won the tournament rather than Phil or Monty (or anyone else) losing it. Phil probably should have hit a 4-wood and he certainly should not have tried to be heroic on his second shot at 18. Look at both Ogilvy's and Mickelson's scores in their entirety, and it's clear who "won."

In the four rounds, Ogilvy did not have a single score worse than bogey on any hole. All he had were birdies, pars, and bogeys the entire week. Our U.S. Open champion won because he minimized his mistakes all four days and never got rattled… even when his last drive ended up in a divot.

Courty
23rd June 2006, 09:16 AM
:oops: