PDA

View Full Version : Mini hifi systems

BrisVegas
31st May 2006, 03:57 PM
Looking to get one of these for the lounge/bedroom. My component surround sound setup has been punted down to the rumpus room, so I want something small and attractive, which sounds "ok" for upstairs. Really just want radio/CD and DVD (video out). It's either gonna be mounted on the wall above the TV or on the TV itself. Don't have a fancy plasma yet, but I'd like something that won't look daggy neaxt to it if/when I do.... We've got timber floors and dark chocolate furniture...

I'd love one of those really sleek glass sliding ones that you see in the really flash display homes, but only have a budget of around $300-500.

Any opinions on these...

Sony DVD Micro System CMTDV2D -
http://www.shoppersadvantage.com.au/Product.asp?Cat=4&Product=31874 $359

PANASONIC SCPM91D -
http://www.shoppersadvantage.com.au/Product.asp?Cat=4&Product=31999 $409

JVC FS-Y1 DVD Micro System -
http://avshop.com.au/ProductDetails.aspx?item_id=34FSY1 - $398

Any others I should consider??? Thanks in advance!

connico
31st May 2006, 04:21 PM
Bang and Olufsen - BeoCenter 2?

kinda pricey but looks the bomb!

AndyP
31st May 2006, 04:40 PM
Good to see you've kept your advice within BV's budget criteria, connico.

Courty
31st May 2006, 04:46 PM
Unfortunately, that leaves Bose Lifestyle systems out of the equation also.
I think in that price range there probably isn't that much difference, as long as they have the features you require.

connico
31st May 2006, 05:12 PM
Looked are your chosen models, id scrapt the jvc, it hasnt got enough power to do a medium to large bedroom. 18RMS...no where near the power needed.

They all do the same thing mate, the thing that will highlight them will be thier sound quality, so you will need to go have a listern and look at thier contruction. If the speakers are heavy, they prob are of better quality. It means the mangets used for them are good quality and will last longer and also produce the proscribed sound out put.

The sony has only 100RMS but that is more than a enough to do your room, it also plays dvdr's, which is important if your burning dvds[all three units seem to do this]

If your going to be paying dvds, you will need the mini units to have atleast some sound decode system, while your only packing two speakers, you still want dolby 1 or 2, some form of surround technology.

The panasonic says it goes 160, so 80rms perchannel, which is also decent, but i dont believe it. A micro system pumping out that kinda power has to have a mega magnet or its bs, and i think its the latter. It doesnt weight enough to have a big **** magnet. but it has a 5 disc changer, so it can be handy

MY opinion is that you save a little more, and get used components mate. A solid dvd player that plays most if not all media can cost you like 100, and then get a reciever/tunner and some used speakers that will set you back another 300-400 mate. Better sounds and flexiblity?

BrisVegas
31st May 2006, 07:23 PM
MY opinion is that you save a little more, and get used components mate. A solid dvd player that plays most if not all media can cost you like 100, and then get a reciever/tunner and some used speakers that will set you back another 300-400 mate. Better sounds and flexiblity?

I'm clearly not after a component setup, no matter how cheap they are. Perhaps if you read my first post that would be clearer.

I've got a dedicated component system for the home theatre already. The wife just wants something small and simple to use that she can simply press "play"...

I love the Bang & Olufsen stuff, that's the kinda thing I would get if money were no object. Something like this eh....

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/web2/systems/product.asp?section=systems&sub=ms&prodid=12

Moe Norman
31st May 2006, 08:32 PM
why not just get some nice speakers and plug them into your DVD player? (assuming you have one with that TV)

BrisVegas
31st May 2006, 08:38 PM
why not just get some nice speakers and plug them into your DVD player? (assuming you have one with that TV)

nah, i want something that is small and neat. I've copped **** for years about speaker and component cables running everywhere. Speakers will also get knocked over by the little one. Ít has to be smallish, so that I could put it on a little shelf in the lounge or in the bedroom.

I've pre-wired for in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, but that will involve buying another amplifier for the lounge. This little system is just to get by until it's done properly, then it can be relegated to the bedroom.

connico
1st June 2006, 11:22 AM
Get the sony then, its the better unit of the two, hows the warranty on both? 12 months?

BrisVegas
1st June 2006, 11:57 AM
Yeah I was leaning towards the Sony. Everything else I own is Sony.

Thanks for your input. I took your advice on the CMV monitor. This could be two from two. :smt002

I'm gonna go check out JB's at lunch just to see how awful these little suckers sound....

Grunt
1st June 2006, 12:12 PM
If the sony gear is like any other sony gear that I have had in the past it would be the better option in my opinion.

BrisVegas
1st June 2006, 01:51 PM
The Sony was ok... Honestly, they all sound crap, kinda as I expected. I'm going off the idea. Might have to get her something else instead.... I was thinking of a DVD HardDisk Recorder too, but bloody goughy grabbed that...

Maybe I should just install the in-walls & in-ceilings now and be done with it. they had a set of Jamo contractor series there for $700.... Not bad...

Courty
1st June 2006, 01:54 PM
Maybe I should just install the in-walls & in-ceilings now and be done with it. they had a set of Jamo contractor series there for $700.... Not bad...

Sounds like the go to me, Dion.

BrisVegas
1st June 2006, 02:28 PM
that would make me happier, but doesn't solve the problem of needing to find a nice gift for the missus....

connico
1st June 2006, 04:30 PM
a diamond?? doesnt have to be abig **** one, just a nice looking one??

and yeah go the wall mounts mate!! only way to go!

markTHEblake
1st June 2006, 10:39 PM
Yeah I was leaning towards the Sony. Everything else I own is Sony.

gee thats unlike you to be brand loyal.

BrisVegas
2nd June 2006, 07:48 AM
gee thats unlike you to be brand loyal.

heheh :oops:

Hey I just bought a dodgey Chinese LCD monitor on connico's recommendation. I can be swayed.... :)

connico
2nd June 2006, 12:49 PM
chinese taiwan lol meh its all the same **** lol..

its not a bad monitor right? and yeah brand loyalty to me means **** these days, companies will produce good and bad items, just dont be caught unawares during the bad item phase ! :p