PDA

View Full Version : Titleist 917 D3 Driver

JADO75
17th October 2016, 07:50 PM
I got to hit a mates Titleist 917 D3 8.5* driver with a Pro Force V2 66 or 69 X flex before I played on Saturday. I love the grey head, it's a beautiful colour which reminds me of one of my favourite drivers of all time, the 975. The D3 shape is damn near perfect, its traditional looking & is very easy on the eye. It sounds much better than the 915 D3 which I think sounds too tinny. I had the SureFit set at 1A (8.5*, square face) weight cartridge in the draw slot & was producing a beautiful just above mid flight with a tiny draw. I definitely think it's an improvement over the 915 line, I'm not sure if I'll run out & grab one but I know I'll end up with one sooner or later.

aussieashley
17th October 2016, 08:04 PM
Has the price jumped on the 917 line compared to the 915?
Titleist au website is showing $749 for the driver. Hope the second hand ones are cheap :)

JADO75
17th October 2016, 08:11 PM
Not sure brotha

Wenz
17th October 2016, 08:16 PM
Was watching Brad Moules hit one of these about 2 weeks ago.
Sounded so nice. Also looked alright with his hzrdus black shaft.

Jazz18
17th October 2016, 08:38 PM
Has the price jumped on the 917 line compared to the 915?
Titleist au website is showing $749 for the driver. Hope the second hand ones are cheap :)

Typically, what ever is on the Titlesist Australia site is what will be the ticket price at Drummonds. Pro shops are typically cheaper for Titty stuff though. I know Stonecutters Ridge and Canterbury golf club pro shops have good prices on their Acushnet stuff. I also believe East Lakes does good deals on Scottys so might be good for Titty clubs as well.

3oneday
17th October 2016, 10:08 PM
Did you pop a stitch, or something else? :)

JADO75
17th October 2016, 10:21 PM
Nope, a drop of piss came out though.

Hatchman
18th October 2016, 09:41 AM
I got to hit a mates Titleist 917 D3 8.5* driver with a Pro Force V2 66 or 69 X flex before I played on Saturday. I love the grey head, it's a beautiful colour which reminds me of one of my favourite drivers of all time, the 975. The D3 shape is damn near perfect, its traditional looking & is very easy on the eye. It sounds much better than the 915 D3 which I think sounds too tinny. I had the SureFit set at 1A (8.5*, square face) weight cartridge in the draw slot & was producing a beautiful just above mid flight with a tiny draw. I definitely think it's an improvement over the 915 line, I'm not sure if I'll run out & grab one but I know I'll end up with one sooner or later.

I'm betting on sooner [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Nemo
18th October 2016, 07:40 PM
The Titleist rep was at our range today, not doing a demo but showing our head pro and some teaching pros the new gear.
Better adjustability, better sound better feel yadda yadda, boring...
Same shit different year for me...

TheNuclearOne
18th October 2016, 07:56 PM
The Titleist rep was at our range today, not doing a demo but showing our head pro and some teaching pros the new gear.
Better adjustability, better sound better feel yadda yadda, boring...
Same shit different year for me...

What if he had a new Cameron putter line tho? :D

Captain Nemo
18th October 2016, 07:59 PM
Meh....

TheNuclearOne
18th October 2016, 08:15 PM
Meh....

I bet!!!! :D

Johnny Canuck
19th October 2016, 12:37 AM
I bet!!!! :D

Exactly. He got a semi when someone even mentioned new Cameron line.

Captain Nemo
19th October 2016, 05:47 PM
Exactly. He got a semi when someone even mentioned new Cameron line.
**** off dickhead, i can't remember even commentating on past 2 or so models.
in fact read what i said re the last release...
http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/47037-2016-Scotty-Cameron-Putter-Range
;)

JADO75
21st October 2016, 04:17 PM
My pro shop now has the D2 & D3's available with 3 different shaft choices.
Kinda tempting

FuzzyJuzzy
21st October 2016, 04:34 PM
My pro shop now has the D2 & D3's available with 3 different shaft choices. Kinda tempting Saw the 917D2 in Drummond today, looks very tidy. Would give it a crack if I had some coin...

JADO75
21st October 2016, 05:00 PM
$749 rrp, geez that's $$

3oneday
21st October 2016, 06:41 PM
looks very tidy. Would give it a crack if I had some coin...

Sounds like it would have been cheaper if you were in another sort of shop ;)

Captain Nemo
5th November 2016, 12:04 PM
Interesting reading here:
http://www.golfwrx.com/406976/917-vs-915-results-from-the-ultimate-titleist-driver-fitting-experience/

RobNewy
5th November 2016, 01:15 PM
I had a hit of it last weekend at Drummond for shits and giggles.
Had the Rogue Max in it. Whatever that is

Sounds excellent. Second best sound after the M1 for me.

Thats about as much as i can say, as i didnt like the look of it, or the numbers i got with it

davepuppies
5th November 2016, 07:18 PM
I took a 917 D2 out for 9 holes at Monash the other day.

It's a definite improvement over the 913 I still have, feels hotter, seems to spin less, but it wasn't longer than my jetspeed.

Hit a M1 today, again side by side with my jet speed, and Didn't see a huge difference.

Won't be spending the big $$$ needed to upgrade, as they were the ones on my radar.

aussieashley
7th November 2016, 07:49 PM
Interesting reading here:
http://www.golfwrx.com/406976/917-vs-915-results-from-the-ultimate-titleist-driver-fitting-experience/

Anyone here bought one yet?

Interesting to see some of the guys in the article lofting down from their 915's.
And a couple getting lower spin figures than the 915 D4.

Captain Nemo
7th November 2016, 08:00 PM

Interesting to see some of the guys in the article lofting down from their 915's.

Go's to show how proper fitting makes a difference...

Hatchman
7th November 2016, 08:29 PM

I've also herd there's been a bit of shaft shortening to make it really sing too.

braddles
7th November 2016, 08:46 PM
I have played two rounds with a 917D2 and one round with a 917D3 - I was fit for both at a Titleist fitting day at my club. All rounds were with the Fuji Tour Spec 74x. I liked them both and hit some long drives with them. I could hit low bullets into the wind with the D2 - I usually struggle into the wind with any D2 model. Both drivers look great and the feel is much better than the 915. I was really hoping to go all Titleist!

While I could use either driver, I think my M2 is longer and just as straight. This is coming from someone who loves Titleist irons, Vokey wedges, and Scotty Cameron putters. I guess the positive is that I don't have to spend the $$ to upgrade my driver!

BrisVegas
9th November 2016, 09:05 PM
I have played two rounds with a 917D2 and one round with a 917D3 - I was fit for both at a Titleist fitting day at my club. All rounds were with the Fuji Tour Spec 74x. I liked them both and hit some long drives with them. I could hit low bullets into the wind with the D2 - I usually struggle into the wind with any D2 model. Both drivers look great and the feel is much better than the 915. I was really hoping to go all Titleist!

While I could use either driver, I think my M2 is longer and just as straight. This is coming from someone who loves Titleist irons, Vokey wedges, and Scotty Cameron putters. I guess the positive is that I don't have to spend the $$ to upgrade my driver!

Hey mate, long time no see. Sorry to thread jack but just wondering whether the 917 shafts are the same fitment as the 910? I'm playing again and was curious to try something lse in my driver to get a bit more roll out.

petethepilot
9th November 2016, 09:24 PM
Welcome back Dion!
Hope Mt Isa by the Sea is working out.

BrisVegas
11th November 2016, 12:02 PM
Welcome back Dion!
Hope Mt Isa by the Sea is working out.

Hey Pete. Yeah, all good in Brownsville. How's things with you and your family? I've just finished my Grad Dip teaching studies and start teaching in January. Got some time for golf between now and then.

I played with a fella the other day who had all the new Titleist gear, including the 917D3 driver. It all looks much the same tbh, but I started to wonder what advances had been made in shafts recently. Usual story, I don't have time for lessons or practice, but want something magic to bring my ballflight and spin down and give me more run etc. I'm hitting it ok-ish, despite some rust in the shortgame as usual.

Lucasto23
11th November 2016, 06:48 PM
Hey Pete. Yeah, all good in Brownsville. How's things with you and your family? I've just finished my Grad Dip teaching studies and start teaching in January. Got some time for golf between now and then.I played with a fella the other day who had all the new Titleist gear, including the 917D3 driver. It all looks much the same tbh, but I started to wonder what advances had been made in shafts recently. Usual story, I don't have time for lessons or practice, but want something magic to bring my ballflight and spin down and give me more run etc. I'm hitting it ok-ish, despite some rust in the shortgame as usual.Hey Dion you've always been a flusher ;)Shafts have improved in the way torque feels. What I mean is smooth and flexible feeling shafts can handle more quicker transitions and help get the ball up quicker without adding a lot of additional spin.Happy hoing, I mean golfing :)

BrisVegas
12th November 2016, 11:22 AM
Hey Dion you've always been a flusher ;)Shafts have improved in the way torque feels. What I mean is smooth and flexible feeling shafts can handle more quicker transitions and help get the ball up quicker without adding a lot of additional spin.Happy hoing, I mean golfing :)

I don't have a fast transition, or a fast anything for that matter. My swing speed has dropped considerably since I was playing regularly (2011-ish) due to older age, flexibility, LOFT etc. My driver has a RIP 70x shaft, which feels great once or twice a round when I flush it, but the rest of the time I seem to hit shots that carry 200-220m and just about plug when they land... I won't be hoing much, if anything, as I don't have a job atm. I was more thinking I could replace the shaft only in my driver for something lighter and more suited to my powderpuff swing.

aussieashley
1st December 2016, 08:42 PM
What sort of $ are you guys paying for a 917? One on the Facebook page for $550

Jazz18
1st December 2016, 08:51 PM
What sort of $ are you guys paying for a 917? One on the Facebook page for $550

If it's mint I'd say that's pretty good given they are $800 odd retail.

aussieashley
1st December 2016, 09:01 PM
If it's mint I'd say that's pretty good given they are $800 odd retail. No one actually pays full retail though do they? I'll check my pro shop on the weekend.

FuzzyJuzzy
1st December 2016, 09:06 PM
This old dude last weekend tried to tell me his M2 driver with a standard Fujikura Pro 60 S cost him $800...saw them in Drummond last week for $440, might've been $450. But I can't see any retailer charging $800 for an off the rack M2....right?

wazandnic
1st December 2016, 09:06 PM
Think they are $699 in Eastlakes proshop.

Drummonds had them for $749 a couple of weeks back when they had their 25% VIP sale. With discount equated to about $560. If the guy bought it there he is not losing too much.

Toxic
1st December 2016, 09:10 PM
I've never been fitted for a club.
I have a 909D which i hit pretty well consistently. No idea what shaft tbh.
I'm going to get fitted for a 917 out of pure curiosity.
Actually excited about it tbh

davidw88
1st December 2016, 09:25 PM
550 is a good deal.

FuzzyJuzzy
1st December 2016, 09:34 PM
Think they are $699 in Eastlakes proshop.Drummonds had them for $749 a couple of weeks back when they had their 25% VIP sale. With discount equated to about $560. If the guy bought it there he is not losing too much.Have a look at Drummond Camperdown Waz. Was in there on Tuesday and I'm sure they had M2s for around the $450 mark.

Jazz18
1st December 2016, 10:58 PM
Have a look at Drummond Camperdown Waz. Was in there on Tuesday and I'm sure they had M2s for around the $450 mark.

Pretty sure Waz is talking about 917's Fuzz.

wazandnic
2nd December 2016, 01:11 AM
Yep this is a 917 thread! ;)

Seems we posted at the same time fj this your confusion :)

3oneday
2nd December 2016, 07:19 AM
Yep, ban him.

Please ignore post #34, he's clearly tired and emotional.

Courty
2nd December 2016, 08:24 AM
Local Drummond has them at $699 (RRP). I just bought one through my pro shop (with credit) for $619

Jazz18
2nd December 2016, 08:40 AM
Local Drummond has them at $699 (RRP). I just bought one through my pro shop (with credit) for $619

$619 seems a good deal. That $550 isn't looking like such a good price now I guess.