PDA

View Full Version : Grunt could move to either Brisbane or Adelaide.

Grunt
30th May 2006, 07:13 PM
Hi all

Things at work changed today with expressions of interest for Licenced engineers to take up positions that have been left open by volantary redundancy at other ports in the QANTAS network.

I have submitted interest in moving to either Brisbane or Adelaide. So I may be on the move http://www.ptcruisers.com.au/forum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Things at QANTAS change daily at the moment. Who knows this may be a good or bad move.

Not sure of when they will indicate if I am sucessful or not. Brisbane is probably a more likely result as I have the 747-400 licence and the fact QANTAS does have Jumbos in and out of Brisbane helps as Adelaide does not have anything bigger than a 767 fly in and out each day.

Jarro
30th May 2006, 07:16 PM
How many positions are they looking at getting rid of Grant ?

Grunt
30th May 2006, 07:24 PM
It was volantary for people working in Aircraft Servicing around Australia to enable those in Sydney made redundant not to lose their jobs. So in effect up to 480 jobs.

marcel
30th May 2006, 07:28 PM
Grant,

do QANTAS do any maintenance for other Internationals (not that we have that many) in Adelaide?

Grunt
30th May 2006, 07:30 PM
not sure to be 100%, could be British. Not even sure what other airlines operate in and out of Adelaide.

gazgolf1
30th May 2006, 07:45 PM
Adelaide sux....I lived there til I was 18.

Grunt
30th May 2006, 07:50 PM
Also the other thing will be sucesfully selling our home here in Sydney and finding a place to live in Brisbane.

markTHEblake
30th May 2006, 08:04 PM
might be a good idea not to join a new golf club any time soon :-)

Grunt
30th May 2006, 08:05 PM
yeah I know, WHat sort of home would $300000 get me and what suburbs do you avoid in Brisbane.

Jarro
30th May 2006, 08:07 PM
i'll sell you my place for $300,000 Grant :)

;)

markTHEblake
30th May 2006, 08:11 PM
avoid anything north of the airport grunt, its a ghetto up there.

Grunt
not sure where or what we can afford. $300K would be our upper limit. Not even sure about how transferable our home loan is.

BrisVegas
I'll sell you my garage for $300,000 Grant.:smt002

markTHEblake
30th May 2006, 08:14 PM
not sure where or what we can afford. $300K would be our upper limit. Not even sure about how transferable our home loan is.

all home loans would be transferable.

Jarro
30th May 2006, 08:15 PM
avoid anything north of the airport grunt, its a ghetto up there.

bite your tongue BrokebackBoy :razz:

Fishman Dan
30th May 2006, 08:20 PM
No jobs going at Virgin Blue / Jetstar / Rex?

Moe Norman
30th May 2006, 08:24 PM
i'm a bit lost here, selling a home in Sydney to buy in Brisbane and $300k is your limit?

do you live in a Caravan or something?!

Grunt
30th May 2006, 08:27 PM
Jarro
What suburbs north of the airport are in my scope?

Jarro
30th May 2006, 08:30 PM
Blakey may be able to help you there Grant, i'm not really sure what houses are worth around here ..... we're not looking to move at the moment ;)

Grunt
30th May 2006, 08:30 PM
i'm a bit lost here, selling a home in Sydney to buy in Brisbane and $300k is your limit?

do you live in a Caravan or something?!

Want to sell here around 380K and buy at 320K just to get a bit ahead.

BrisVegas
30th May 2006, 08:32 PM
Jarro
What suburbs north of the airport are in my scope?

I'd imagine you might get something around Deception Bay, Morayfield, Narangba for that sort of money. I think the average price in Brisbane is a bit higher than that nowadays. No problems in the surrounding cities of Caboolture, Logan, Ipswich etc., but to stay close to Brisbane and keep it under $300k, a unit or an OLD reno might be the go...

Grunt
30th May 2006, 08:34 PM
Blakey may be able to help you there Grant, i'm not really sure what houses are worth around here ..... we're not looking to move at the moment ;)

Any areas to look at or avoid?

PRC
30th May 2006, 08:35 PM
$300k wont get you far, will get you a townhouse. In my street, northwest of airport, they were selling 550-600sq blocks for $250k+.
Brisbane is a wannabe Sydney, use to have a country feel to it - pity it's gone.

connico
30th May 2006, 10:59 PM
wouldnt know if that plan might work, arnt homes in brissy relatively expensive now...not compared to like 10 years ago??

regardless i would have though you could get more for your house than 380 mate...

goughy
31st May 2006, 07:16 AM
Keep away from dara or inala, unless you like being woken up by gang fights!

Fishman Dan
31st May 2006, 07:51 AM
Equity mate!

Grunt
31st May 2006, 07:56 AM
So what northern suburbs are in the range of 300-350K?

AndyP
31st May 2006, 07:57 AM
Is it worth knowing while it's still hypothetical?

Fishman Dan
31st May 2006, 07:59 AM
Couldn't you buy Adelaide for that price?

Grunt
31st May 2006, 08:05 AM
Yeah I suppose andy but the thing is, the decision is going to be rushed as they want guys to get up and move ASAP so guys are replaced ASAP. Also it would make the decision between Adelaide and Brisbane easier if I have an idea on where I am going to live.

Courty
31st May 2006, 08:24 AM
Will QANTAS help with the relocation expenses?
They should at least pay a few weeks rent for you until you can find something suitable.

just
31st May 2006, 09:15 AM
Grant,

A few suburbs where you can get a family size home in your price range in the north of Brisbane are Bracken Ridge, Brighton, Boondall and Taigum. They are closer to the Airport than some suburbs previously mentioned (ie they are on the Gateway motorway and 10-15 min away). The houses vary in quality but you should be able to pick up something decent. There is plenty of shopping in these areas and they all have good public transport. My daughter is only 2 so I haven't used any of the schools but from all reports they are quite good. Around this area there are no bad suburbs as such-ie areas to avoid. Further out is Redcliffe-some of which is decent and some of which is not, and the public transport is not as good.

I follow the real estate in this area closely (because I live there) and so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Justin

AndyP
31st May 2006, 09:20 AM
I usually steer away from Sandgate, as it's a bit dodgy.

Sounds like you need to come up for a look around, Grunt. Don't forget to bring your golf clubs.

just
31st May 2006, 09:33 AM
AndyP

Fair go, Sandgate's coming up in the world.:smt002
I left out Sandgate and Shorncliffe because you would be hard pressed to find anything decent in the price range.
I try avoid anything west of the City.:mrgreen:
And your right Grant should check it out before he moves here.

Justin

990B Luva
31st May 2006, 09:39 AM
Grant, my next door naighbours are probably selling up and moving soon, it isnt a bad place but it is a bit far from the airport, although dad drives to within 5 k's of there every day and it is only about 1/2 an hour or so away

AndyP
31st May 2006, 09:40 AM
I try avoid anything west of the City.:mrgreen:
Good to see you did some research for your sledge.

Fishman Dan
31st May 2006, 09:55 AM
Grant, my next door naighbours are probably selling up and moving soon, it isnt a bad place but it is a bit far from the airport, although dad drives to within 5 k's of there every day and it is only about 1/2 an hour or so away

Although there are some reports that the neighbours are hoons.

BrisVegas
31st May 2006, 10:30 AM
i wouldn't rush into anything Grant. In fact, you're probably better off renting for 6-12 months while you work out which areas you like and don't etc.

The areas Just mentioned are all decent enough and close to the electric train and arterial roads. I lived in Nundah for a year or so and it's a nice place. Plenty of rentals there and close to the airport, train, shops, and motorway.

Sandgate is a terrific part of Brisbane, but about 5-6 years ago the prices just went out of control. Not much there under $400k that you'd live in....

Grunt
31st May 2006, 09:19 PM
What's Cleveland or Alexandra Hills like?

Also another question for you Brisbanites, what course would I join Cheap?

PeteyD
31st May 2006, 09:35 PM
Cleveland is great. Alex hills can be a bit dodgy in places, but is still good. Redland Bay golf club is nearby (15 minutes south of Cleveland) and subs are about $800 a year and no nomination fees at the moment (if that is still going).

Edit - Toll on the Gateway Bridge is $2.20 each way if you are working at the airport

Grunt
31st May 2006, 09:44 PM
Yeah, I realise the toll costs I pay 3:30 each way to & from work here in sydney. South of the bridge has an advantage for Rachelle, her mum is in Elanora. Close enough to help out when needed but far enough away to not be in our pockets.

PeteyD
31st May 2006, 09:50 PM
I would recommend Redland Bay, Thornlands and Victoria Point over Alex Hills. Cleveland may be a bit expensive for your price range, but check on realestate.com.au etc.

AndyP
1st June 2006, 08:14 AM
With the amount you play, Nudgee GC might suit you. Close to the airport, 36 holes and reasonable fees.

Grunt
1st June 2006, 08:26 AM
Or would the good old country member somewhere work as well.

Grunt
1st June 2006, 08:30 AM
If I were to do as planned and join Bathurst as a country member, Redlands Bay has reciprocal rights.

PeteyD
1st June 2006, 09:51 AM
Grant - you will want to check what recipricol rights means as far as charges go. Hopefully no green fees. Comp fees are $10 normally.

BrisVegas
1st June 2006, 09:56 AM

Just my opinion, but you'd regret moving to Cleveland/Redland Bay etc. if you're working at the airport. It's a solid 45min drive in terrible traffic each way and most days there is an accident south of gateway bridge. I think it would grow "old" very quickly.

Nudgee & Virginia would be the clubs to look at, assuming you settle in the north-eastern suburbs.

Cleveland, for instance, is twice as far from Brisbane as somewhere like Sandgate and 3-4 times as far from your work.

3oneday
1st June 2006, 10:10 AM
Grant - you will want to check what recipricol rights means as far as charges go. Hopefully no green fees. Comp fees are $10 normally.
Even with recipricol rights you would be paying visitors fees each time you play. You would assume pretty much twice the normal comp fee.

I guess this would be fine whilst you decide which course you will call home, but joining Bathurst and paying twice as much as normal to play elsewhere would all balance out in the end.....

PeteyD
1st June 2006, 10:33 AM
Just my opinion, but you'd regret moving to Cleveland/Redland Bay etc. if you're working at the airport. It's a solid 45min drive in terrible traffic each way and most days there is an accident south of gateway bridge. I think it would grow "old" very quickly.

Nudgee & Virginia would be the clubs to look at, assuming you settle in the north-eastern suburbs.

Cleveland, for instance, is twice as far from Brisbane as somewhere like Sandgate and 3-4 times as far from your work.

BV has a good point here. The bridge traffic can be totally crap in peak hour, and builds reasonably early. If you start at 7:00 shouldn't be an issue though, plus you can get on from wynnum rd and avoid most of the bad traffic.

Cleveland is a long way out. It takes me an hour each way to get to work (near the CBD in West End) and can be longer if the traffic is feral. However we love living where we do so I don't mind the travel.

Fishman Dan
1st June 2006, 10:41 AM
If I were to do as planned and join Bathurst as a country member, Redlands Bay has reciprocal rights.

Ah, the stink of an AGU rort. Remember, you're cranky with Maq Grange, not the AGU!

Enquire about the Golf Access method of getting (maintaining) an AGU handicap and not belonging to a club.

Grunt
1st June 2006, 11:09 AM
Well thanks for all the input.

A couple of things about my hours of work, travelling in peak time is not an issue as shift work would involve early morning starts 5am -6am, afternoon 2pm -3pm and late 6pm and the like.

With the membership issue, I want to maintain an AGU handicap not butcher one or cheat, the golf access is only open to people that have not been a golf club member in the last 2 years. Who knows I may have to move to Adelaide.
Also as I play mainly as a visitor most of the time all I am doing by moving to Bathurst as my home club is have a different club maintain the handicap thru golf link. I know I have played the majority of my games at Macarthur grange but if it were like when I was a member of Botany and the course was not as close by I would have a good spread of clubs on my Golflink.

BrisVegas
1st June 2006, 11:53 AM
Grant, regardless of the hours you work, commuting from Cleveland to the airport is a big deal. It's a bloody long way and there is going to be serious traffic on the afternoon legs at the very least. I commute at 6:15 to avoid the traffic and listening to the traffic reports as I drive in, it's always on the gateway near the tolls where it jams up first. Disregarding the toll, there will be roadworks on the gateway for the next several years while it is duplicated.

As for membership, why don't you just join up somewhere like Robina/Emerald Lakes/Gold Coast Country club for around $100 to maintain a hcap until you work out what you wanna do.

Grunt
1st June 2006, 11:57 AM
You guys have to remember I am from Sydney and am used to travelling to and from work in traffic, I travel 35km to work now. Also the club thing is a seperate issue really ,even if I don't move a new club is important.

BrisVegas
1st June 2006, 12:01 PM
fine! you've had my input. just trying to help.

FWIW, I lived in Sydney and America before here and I know a little about driving in traffic. I drive 35kms each way to work now. Lifestyle is important, but there are nice places to live that don't involve that horror stretch of road from Cleveland/Redland Bay thru to the airport...

Grunt
1st June 2006, 12:04 PM
Also guys, I am listening to everything you are saying so if I sound like I am not listening or not taking any of your advice seriously, dont be. I am taking it all in. It is actually great to hear so many different views of where and where not to live.
I have also got to remember that I may miss out on the positions available too and may be here in Sydney until another chance to get comes about.

PeteyD
1st June 2006, 01:09 PM
BV, to be honest, the drive from Cleveland to where I work is better than Ipswich Rd or the Freeway (having lived and commuted along both). The only horror bit he would face is the bridge. Old Cleveland Rd is a great commute in the morning. If you are running into the City from Springfield each day, I would rather my commute. If only I could get a job out near the bay ...

According to travelmate, Cleveland to Airport is 31 kms and takes 33.5 minutes

CobraSS
1st June 2006, 01:15 PM

Woodford $355 a year $176 nom

dc68
1st June 2006, 01:43 PM
Edit - Toll on the Gateway Bridge is $2.20 each way if you are working at the airport

$2.40 e/w now

BrisVegas
1st June 2006, 01:46 PM
BV, to be honest, the drive from Cleveland to where I work is better than Ipswich Rd or the Freeway (having lived and commuted along both).... If you are running into the City from Springfield each day, I would rather my commute.

You're entitled to your opinion Pete. I don't think anywhere outside of 15kms from the CBD is a nice commute. I have my own reasons for living where i do and I went there with my eyes open. But that has nothing to do with offering advice to Grant.

I just can't understand why if you had the choice to live anywhere, you'd choose to live in Redlands if you work at the airport. Kinda like driving from Maroubra to Hornsby each day....

I mean, you commute to work 40+ times a month and might visit the in-laws a couple of times. I've already made it pretty clear where I'd choose. No point flogging a dead horse....

Grunt
1st June 2006, 02:10 PM
My roster here in Sydney means I go to work 13 times this month (June) so the commute is not that big an issue, but in saying that I know what you mean if you were working a 9 -5, 5 day a week job.

3oneday
1st June 2006, 02:19 PM
you commute to work 40+ times a month how does this work sorry ??? :confused:

Courty
1st June 2006, 02:25 PM
how does this work sorry ??? :confused:

I think he means TO AND from

AndyP
1st June 2006, 02:25 PM
Replace "to" with "to/from" and it makes plenty of sense.

Bloody pedantry...

3oneday
1st June 2006, 02:38 PM
Replace "to" with "to/from" and it makes plenty of sense.

Bloody pedantry...:lol: :lol:

Thought it might have been a daylight savings thing ;)

:lol:

BrisVegas
1st June 2006, 02:43 PM
:lol: :lol:

Thought it might have been a daylight savings thing ;)

Yeah, you need to get out into the daylight.... :razz:

gazgolf1
1st June 2006, 02:48 PM
Banyo is an older suburb very close to the airport and 5 mins from Nudgee and Virginia golf clubs.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&s=qld&cc=&c=33893191&tm=1149137095&id=103116660&f=10&p=10&t=res&ty=&snf=&ag=&cu=fn-rea&fmt=&header=

Pick something like this up and spend a few bucks doing it up. :)

gazgolf1
1st June 2006, 02:51 PM
This one backs onto Virginia Golf club,unfortunately its under contract but you get my drift.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&s=qld&cc=&c=33893191&tm=1149137095&id=103182389&f=0&p=10&t=res&ty=&snf=&ag=&cu=fn-rea&fmt=&header=

gazgolf1
1st June 2006, 02:53 PM
Nudgee is the suburb next to Banyo.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&s=qld&cc=&c=33990944&tm=1149137549&id=103129371&f=0&p=10&t=res&ty=&snf=&ag=&cu=fn-rea&fmt=&header=

Grunt
1st June 2006, 02:55 PM
Does look good gaz thanks for that. Really depends on the way the market goes here in Sydney and how much I can get for our place here as a result. Hopefully around $390-400K but may be less due to the fact the market is not real good around here at the moment.

PeteyD
1st June 2006, 03:59 PM
You're entitled to your opinion Pete. I don't think anywhere outside of 15kms from the CBD is a nice commute. I have my own reasons for living where i do and I went there with my eyes open. But that has nothing to do with offering advice to Grant.

I just can't understand why if you had the choice to live anywhere, you'd choose to live in Redlands if you work at the airport. Kinda like driving from Maroubra to Hornsby each day....

I mean, you commute to work 40+ times a month and might visit the in-laws a couple of times. I've already made it pretty clear where I'd choose. No point flogging a dead horse....

To be fair I agree with you. Working at the airport it makes sense to live on the Northside. I would be a lot happier if I could find work out here in the Redlands!

Jarro
1st June 2006, 04:01 PM
well, i work at the airport as you all know :roll:

I live in Deception bay and this is an 84Km round trip to work for me. Takes me around 30 minutes to get there, all along the gateway motorway though, no traffic lights at all 8)

terryand
1st June 2006, 04:31 PM
Grunt if you pick one of those low set houses don't ring me for your plumbing.B!tches to crawl around under them :???:

Just for the record,it took me about 30 seconds to get to work today and that includes opening and closing the gate :mrgreen: Man I love jobs that are 4 doors up the road.

Terry.

PeteyD
1st June 2006, 04:43 PM
Grunt if you pick one of those low set houses don't ring me for your plumbing.B!tches to crawl around under them :???:

Just for the record,it took me about 30 seconds to get to work today and that includes opening and closing the gate :mrgreen: Man I love jobs that are 4 doors up the road.

Terry.

I could really hate you! :razz:

markTHEblake
1st June 2006, 05:58 PM
I drove along the gateway northbound to the airport at 5.30am yesterday. traffic was quite busy, but still 100kmh. on the return trip at around 6.15am northbound traffic was moving at a guess 20-30kmh.

Grunt
1st June 2006, 06:18 PM
I drove along the gateway northbound to the airport at 5.30am yesterday. traffic was quite busy, but still 100kmh. on the return trip at around 6.15am northbound traffic was moving at a guess 20-30kmh.

Thanks MTB & thanks everyone for all the ideas.
I have been showing Rachelle ads at various suburbs you have mentioned. It is easier to do once we have a name for an area to have a look at.

Fishman Dan
1st June 2006, 06:21 PM
I never did like the guy..

goughy
1st June 2006, 06:37 PM
Woodford $355 a year $176 nom

Now this may be in my price range when I move up your way cobra. Although I doubt I'll be getting in much golf straight away so it's more likely I'll try one of those emmy lakes deals so I can play the odd open comp.

AndyP
1st June 2006, 06:44 PM
Now this may be in my price range when I move up your way cobra. Although I doubt I'll be getting in much golf straight away so it's more likely I'll try one of those emmy lakes deals so I can play the odd open comp.
It will take you 45 minutes or so to get there from Bli Bli, goughy.

Off-topic, but FYI
Club: Nomination/Yearly Fee, Public Green Fee, Sat Comp Fee
Caloundra: $950/$625, $34, $8
Headland: $990/$679.80, $35, $3.50
Horton Park: $1300/$600, $40, $5
Bribie Island: $770/$595, $30, $7
Tewantin Noosa: $990/$700, $40, $9
Mt Coolum: $600/$565, $36, $7
Nambour: $0/$485, $28, $6.50

goughy
1st June 2006, 07:13 PM
Nom fee's is the killer for me. Nambour is looking better and better.

Jarro
1st June 2006, 07:29 PM
didn't i just see on the news that there is a proposal to put a bloody great road through the guts of Horton Park golf course ??????

Grunt
1st June 2006, 08:11 PM

Terry.

What is the term Low Set and High set? Is it a QLD thing? I gather it is whether the house is on the ground or elevated. Is a house sitting on a slab classed as low set or is that different again?

3oneday
1st June 2006, 08:35 PM
Gosh, 5 pages and you haven't even started packing yet !!!

Grunt
1st June 2006, 08:44 PM
Lets see how big it gets, if I get the job I will hit this place with lots of ????'s

terryand
1st June 2006, 08:52 PM
Grunt,house on a slab is a slab house. A high set house is one you can walk under and a low set house is like the first one Gaz posted,which has a timber floor less than a metre off the ground. A real b!tch when you have to get under them to upgrade and replace plumbing.

Terry.

Grunt
1st June 2006, 09:04 PM
ok, I guess it is more of a QLD thing as there are not that many elevated houses here in Sydney. I am used to slab houses. I like the idea of being able to use the area under the house as a general storage area for all that junk that normally clutters the garage.

amanda
2nd June 2006, 08:00 AM
Grunt - when will you find out about your applications?

BrisVegas
2nd June 2006, 08:18 AM
ok, I guess it is more of a QLD thing as there are not that many elevated houses here in Sydney. I am used to slab houses. I like the idea of being able to use the area under the house as a general storage area for all that junk that normally clutters the garage.

The "Queenslander" style of house came about through necessity. It allows airflow underneath the house to help cool it down in summer. The stumps that the houses sit on typically have a metal capping on top of them to help deter termites from invading the timber too.

They're a great design. Quite often people raise them up and build underneath to allow a more reasonable living area.

Grunt
2nd June 2006, 02:01 PM
Grunt - when will you find out about your applications?

Hopefully a decision is being made as we speak and I will find out next week sometime.

miro
2nd June 2006, 02:37 PM
................. and close to the electric train ..............

Gees I knew you guys were backward but I din't know you still had wood burning trains as well as those new fangled electric ones. :)

Jarro
2nd June 2006, 02:48 PM
Gees I knew you guys were backward but I din't know you still had wood burning trains as well as those new fangled electric ones. :)

you betcha miro, these new electric trains are great ... much more room to throw wedges aroubnd in these than the old wooden ones.

Grunt
7th June 2006, 10:42 AM
Just an update on what I know in response to my Expression Of Interest. Well yesterday I found out that they are sorting the positions at minor ports first, Darwin has been allocatted it's positions a mate from up there got it.
Managers of all ports are favouring taking people that were originally from the cities they have applied for.
I know the Manager for Adelaide has said he would prefer to take people that put Adelaide as a 1st preference so he gets people that do not use it as a stepping stone to bigger and better ports.
The Darwin guy has been gven a good relocation package too.. $15000 house sale assistance(legals and sale costs etc.), $3500 rental assist, 35 cubic metres of moving expenses & transport of vehicles to his new port.
Hopefully will find out soon, I may have been given an indication that I did not get anything though. Due to the staff coming and going maintenace crews have had a reshuffle and I have been moved to a new crew starting in 2 weeks time. The move sees my roster move 2 days later, so not that big a move. Thing is why would they move me one week to see me leave the port a few weeks later, will have to wait and see if the left hand of QANTAS knows what the right is doing.

Grunt
17th June 2006, 09:05 AM
Well, Got into work this morning and checked my work emails. Sad to say Grunt is not moving anywhere.
I was rejected due to, Licence Coverage/ Operational reasons here in Sydney. Guess I am too valuable :)

Oh well maybe next time.

Courty
17th June 2006, 09:06 AM
So, is that a good or a bad thing, Grunt?

Grunt
17th June 2006, 09:08 AM
Not sure, Bad, that I don't get out of Sydney and Good, that I may be seen to get a promotion/more Training here in Sydney.

connico
20th June 2006, 08:40 AM
better luck next time mate!

Grunt
20th June 2006, 12:05 PM
yeah **** happens, could end up being a blessing in disguise. Next few years at QANTAS in Sydney will be unlike any others in the past 18. Either good or bad I don't know but it is going to be interesting.

Jarro
20th June 2006, 12:11 PM
probably a good thing Grant.

You would've got sick and tired of me kicking your butt on the golf course all the time up here ;)

Courty
20th June 2006, 12:13 PM
probably a good thing Grant.

You would've got sick and tired of me kicking your butt on the golf course all the time up here ;)

Haha. :mrgreen:
QUEENSLANDER!

Grunt
18th May 2011, 03:50 PM
Thought it would be better to revive an old thread rather than post another similar one.

If Grunt was to relocate to Brisbane where would be a suitable location to move to. I have a job offer on the table that would see me moving up there around June. Work would be in Bowen Hill.

henno
18th May 2011, 03:54 PM
Bowen Hills is pretty much in the middle of the city (for all intents and purposes) so you can move wherever you like. If you want to catch a train to work, somewhere on one of the lines that go to Bowen Hills without a transfer would be a consideration, however.

PeteyD
18th May 2011, 04:19 PM
Wife and 1 kid. What other conderations besides closeness to work?

BrisVegas
18th May 2011, 04:23 PM
Are you still going to work on aircraft? If so, then stick to the East of the city and north of the river.

Clayfield, Nundah, Northgate etc....

Grunt
18th May 2011, 04:28 PM
No work on aircraft but still for an airline. Wife would look for work and kid would more than likely be going a state school yr 4. Family relocation may not happen until 2012.

PeteyD
18th May 2011, 04:30 PM
Renting or buying? Price range etc. Working at Bowen Hills, You could look north as Dion has said, maybe Windsor and Wilston as well. Car or Train to work?

Grunt
18th May 2011, 04:31 PM
More than likely renting as we would not be selling out of Sydney.

BrisVegas
18th May 2011, 04:31 PM
Windsor and Eagle Junction State Schools are good, from what I've heard. I'd still look for a place on that side of town, as you don't want to have to go past the city or cross the river (tolls) just to get to work.

The really tough decision is what golf course to join.... RQ or Nudgee???

Jarro
18th May 2011, 04:32 PM
If you can afford it, get a place as close to the city as you can..... traffic either side is a joke !

Grunt
18th May 2011, 04:32 PM
Big If Jarro.

AndyP
18th May 2011, 04:50 PM
If it's Virgin, it's very close to the train station, so it doesn't matter where you live too much as all lines pass it.

kpac
18th May 2011, 05:00 PM
Hamilton/Albion are personal favourites. Close to the highway close to the city and nice suburbs. On the pricier side though. But close to RQ or the Nudgee.

just
18th May 2011, 06:09 PM
Look for anywhere on the Sandgate line, Grunt. Nundah, Banyo and Boondall are all pretty good and not horrendously expensive.

markTHEblake
18th May 2011, 06:15 PM
There would be some nice golf course frontage homes at Sandgate, and the course would definitely suit Grants game.

just
18th May 2011, 06:18 PM
There would be some nice golf course frontage homes at Sandgate, and the course would definitely suit Grants game.
Not many homes front the course. Some nice old Queenslanders in there though and it's near the trawlers for a cheap feed of prawns.

Yossarian
18th May 2011, 06:18 PM
I'd chase the music dream in LA first Grunt.

Iain
18th May 2011, 06:55 PM
Bowen Hills is pretty much in the middle of the city (for all intents and purposes) so you can move wherever you like. If you want to catch a train to work, somewhere on one of the lines that go to Bowen Hills without a transfer would be a consideration, however.

That would be every line.

henno
18th May 2011, 09:59 PM
That would be every line.

Do they really? Well there you go.

PeteyD
19th May 2011, 08:54 AM
Yea Bowen hills, central, brunswick and roma st

Grunt
19th May 2011, 10:16 AM
All up in the air at the moment as I will not be looking to sell out of Sydney and probably will not have the equity just yet to borrow more and buy in Brisbane just yet. So does that part of town having what sounds like good public transport i could live anywhere. So where is an average joe bloggs type area sit outside of Brisbane nowadays? 25 min dirve?

just
19th May 2011, 10:24 AM
The suburbs that I listed previously (and surrounds) would have affordable rent, are on train lines and also bus lines, are close to the airport and great for families. You can add Bracken Ridge and Brighton. Those are the one I'm familiar with anyway.

PeteyD
19th May 2011, 10:27 AM
Working in Bowen Hills, what Just says makes sense. Trains are better than buses (unless they have the busways, not sure if any go north).

just
19th May 2011, 10:33 AM
They are building a northern busway through to Bracken Ridge.

BrisVegas
19th May 2011, 10:34 AM
I lived in Nundah for a while when I first came to Brisbane (after a stint at Yeronga). Nundah is on both shorncliffe and Caboolture train lines, so lots of trains coming thru and it's 10-13 minutes trip to Bowen Hills. Nundah is close to Toombul shops, close to the motorway, close to the airport and most importanly for me at the time, it was 5 min to Nudgee Golf Club.

Median house price in Nundah is $480k ($527k is Brisbane median) and there are lots of cheap units and 'Queenslander' houses to rent.

TheTrueReview
19th May 2011, 01:11 PM
No work on aircraft but still for an airline. Wife would look for work and kid would more than likely be going a state school yr 4. Family relocation may not happen until 2012.

Ahhh ... good ole Virgin Australia??

Hamilton/Albion are personal favourites. Close to the highway close to the city and nice suburbs. On the pricier side though. But close to RQ or the Nudgee.

+ 1. My neck of the woods. You won't look back in that area Grunt. Close to the city & a stones throw from the racecourses.

Moe Norman
19th May 2011, 02:02 PM
there would be affordable rentals all over the place on that side of town with good services to Bowen Hills.

Chermside, Alderley, Banyo, Nudgee, Northgate, Willston, Grange, Nundah, Geebung etc.

Grunt
19th May 2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks for all the input guys, will find out more later next week on whether the whole deal goes ahead. Tough making these types of decisions with your other half on the other side of the world