PDA

View Full Version : Weight shift while keeping lower body quiet

FuzzyJuzzy
30th September 2016, 10:36 AM
Gents,

Has anyone got any swing thoughts, drills or ideas on how to shift your weight to your right side (and then back to the left side) while still keeping your lower body quiet? I'm always thinking, reading, trying shit with my swing - I don't overthink the swing or get bogged down in mechanics though - and I know what you're meant to be doing (and why), but I find often what you think you're doing in your swing and what you're actually doing are two different things. At the moment I'm thinking about taking the club out wide (not bringing it to the inside early in the backswing) and making a full shoulder turn and completing my backswing (close to parallel) while keeping my lower body quiet. I think I'm doing these things in my swing - or at least it feels that way - but I feel pretty flat-footed and like I'm not really shifting my weight back and then forward properly.
I'm not looking for a silver bullet, but if something has worked for you feel free to reply. Thanks Gents.

Captain Nemo
30th September 2016, 10:44 AM
Fuzzy, in all seriousness find a coach and stick with them rather than asking a bunch of hacks on here.
Just my 2 cents.

FuzzyJuzzy
30th September 2016, 10:56 AM
Fuzzy, in all seriousness find a coach and stick with them rather than asking a bunch of hacks on here.
Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Cap'n. I knew someone was going to say that - you win the prize:). And you're certainly not wrong. I'm definitely not looking for a silver bullet - not from us golfing legends on OzGolf (no offence to the guys here who actually know their shit - guys like Virge and Blakey, to name a few) - just curious what may have worked for others here. I, like many others, struggle to justify regular lessons at $50 of $60 a pop for 30mins - yes, that cost probably pales in comparison to what I typically spend on clubs. Most days are tight-arse Tuesdays for me these days.
But in saying that, I'm about to start a new job over in Rozelle, just down the road from The Golf Project in Balmain, and will likely be dropping in for lessons with Andy Britton every now and then. In case anyone is interested and hasn't heard, The Golf Project is the new venture that Andy Britton, the Pommy guy who ran Custom Golf Shop in Burwood until closing it late last year or so, has just launched. He's a top bloke.

Captain Nemo
30th September 2016, 11:02 AM
Cheers, what do I win?
I heard those guys over there have some sort of plate you stand on and actually shows weight distribution and shift etc.
I think Gammon went for a lesson there?

gumby
30th September 2016, 11:29 AM
what do you mean by quiet? do you have problems early extending?

FuzzyJuzzy
30th September 2016, 11:34 AM
Cheers, what do I win?
I heard those guys over there have some sort of plate you stand on and actually shows weight distribution and shift etc.
I think Gammon went for a lesson there?

Front row seats to watching my golf game unravel:). Your place or mine, although your's is prettier than mine.

FuzzyJuzzy
30th September 2016, 11:36 AM
I have many problems mate, to be sure:).
By "quiet" I mean still/stable - not moving off the ball as much. I'd love to be able to be able to rotate/coil my upper body the right way while keeping my lower body still/stable. Hail Mary...

markTHEblake
30th September 2016, 12:00 PM
Gents,

Has anyone got any swing thoughts, drills or ideas on how to shift your weight to your right side (and then back to the left side) while still keeping your lower body quiet?

No idea, apart from just do it.
When I was a kid, I would just visualise a golf swing that exemplifies what I want to do and try to emulate it. For dynamic lower body weight transfer, that would have been Jack.

wazandnic
30th September 2016, 12:17 PM
Just saw this last night. Might be more in it then just doing a drill??

https://youtu.be/SvnI0l5NyBs