PDA

View Full Version : Drill for hand position at impact

BayBum
19th September 2016, 02:19 PM
Anyone ever had/have the problem of a raised handle (butt of shaft) at impact ?

I hit everything low & left, and off the toe when it's at its worst.

I noticed the significance of it after seeing my swing in slow mo. 99% sure the high hands at impact is the cause.

I watched Crossfields video on it, but don't have a fix of sorts for it.

Courty
19th September 2016, 02:59 PM
I've struggled with it a bit in the past. What I got out of Crossfield's videos was that the high hands are a symptom not a cause. The root cause was what he called 'early extension' which was more about the hips thrusting towards the ball which crowds the ball coming into impact. In my case, once I got my lower body working a bit better the hands & impact sorted themselves out.

BayBum
19th September 2016, 04:25 PM
Towards the ball as in 'Goat Humping' ?

wazamac
19th September 2016, 06:35 PM
Shaft not too stiff? No Homo.

Courty
19th September 2016, 07:10 PM
Towards the ball as in 'Goat Humping' ?

:lol: I guess you could call it that.

davidw88
21st September 2016, 07:50 PM
Put a line on your butt at address and see if it moves towards the ball, should be able to see if you are early extending or not. The hands usually raise up when doing it as you have no room for them to be any lower.

Scifisicko
22nd September 2016, 09:29 AM
Why do you think this is a problem? Have a look at Rory or JDay, both return the shaft and hands above the address plane. They also both early extend. There are also plenty of examples of good players that don't early extend but also return hands and shaft above the address plane (just as there are many examples of players that do). Point I am making is that returning your hands above the address plane doesn't of itself represent a problem.

BayBum
22nd September 2016, 11:48 AM
Look at where his head is positioned though. My head position is the opposite, higher than where I started.

Scifisicko
22nd September 2016, 12:11 PM
Point I tried to make is that plenty of tour pros have a steeper shaft at impact than at address. In the OP you say you think that is the cause of your problem. Question I asked was why.

With the extra information you have provided re your head, I cant think of any good players that raise their heads during the downswing. Even tour players that hump the goat drop their heads.

There are no easy answers on a golf forum, but if my choice was to work on dropping my hands or dropping my head... i'd be going with head.

3Puttpete
22nd September 2016, 12:15 PM
That's always my choice

BayBum
22nd September 2016, 01:12 PM
I drop my head after every shot ! :D

Good call. I'll keep track of it & put a bit of work in to it, see what comes of it.

Thanks for the input all.

Scifisicko
22nd September 2016, 03:28 PM
If you are hitting it low and left you are coming from the inside (assuming it's also hooking) with a closed club face. Working on lowering your head might not fix that.