PDA

View Full Version : Reducing the HCP

peter_rs
29th May 2006, 09:59 AM
Just a update

After the weekend I'm now a 18 maker (damm only one shot a hole;)). I had 41pts at toowoomba (86 gross). The funny thing is for the first 6 holes I didn't hit a fairway, then I played the next 12 holes in 5 over of the stick. I backed it up with a lazy 36pts on sunday with no fairways. My driver and two wood are having a good look at themelves in the mirror :)

Since the start of the year I have now dropped 6 shots playing blades. 24 to 18. And Won a 36 hole stroke event.

Over the last month I have had little time for the range but can still shot near my hcp. Where in the past I would strugle with CB irons (and did last week when I used some DCI-B irons).

I have found the blades make me
-focus more
-offer more feed back
-and make me control my swing (to get results)

Blades aren't for everyone but I think they are working for me.

connico
29th May 2006, 10:04 AM
congrats mate, i hope to be able to say something like this within the next few months, wont hold my breath myself but i can only hope.

AndyP
29th May 2006, 10:15 AM
Well done on the reduction, Pete.

Is this a "told you so" thread for the blades in the equipment forum?

peter_rs
29th May 2006, 10:43 AM
AP I would never do that

But If I can drop another 6 before the champs it may be ;)

Besides if it was I'm sure someone would say you could have got there faster with CB's

Just a update on my latest drop.

Also Shazza and I just got the message that we won a 4BBB stroke from a month ago.

Eag's
29th May 2006, 10:47 AM
AP I would never do that

But If I can drop another 6 before the champs it may be ;)

Besides if it was I'm sure someone would say you could have got there faster with CB's

Just a update on my latest drop.

Also Shazza and I just got the message that we won a 4BBB stroke from a month ago.

Pete, if you drop another 6 before the Champs, then we will be getting you to pee in a bottle :smt002

connico
29th May 2006, 10:57 AM
lol his right about blades not being for everyone, but they are there for those what to try, and who says a 20+ hcp'er cant use them?

3oneday
29th May 2006, 11:06 AM
lol his right about blades not being for everyone, but they are there for those what to try, and who says a 20+ hcp'er cant use them?
Well, who says it needs to keep coming up for discussion ??? Anyone can use them, why not try persimmon whilst you're at it ;)

PeteyD
29th May 2006, 11:12 AM
Well, who says it needs to keep coming up for discussion ??? Anyone can use them, why not try persimmon whilst you're at it ;)

I prefer grapefruits and oranges personally

connico
29th May 2006, 11:41 AM
and pineapples and lemons!

peter_rs
29th May 2006, 11:57 AM
3oneday it was not a discussion just a update on how my hcp is dropping. and there is no way you can compare a modern blade to a old blade head. I know becuase I have tried some old prosimmon and hallmark blades.

Oh and I did use prosimmon woods when I first started and they keeped breaking.

Fishman Dan
29th May 2006, 12:08 PM
That was too easy Pete... :D

(both Pete's..)

Bruce
29th May 2006, 12:09 PM
Nice work Pete.

Flowergirl
29th May 2006, 12:31 PM
Who cares what clubs you used to get there - well done on reaching 18!!!! ( at least I beat you there using CB's - oh and an offset 13.5 driver:smt002 )
Seriously - CONGRATULATIONS AND LETS

HOPE YOU COME DOWN EVEN MORE!!!!

3oneday
29th May 2006, 12:33 PM
That was too easy Pete... :D

(both Pete's..)thanks, it was nothing ;)

just
29th May 2006, 01:10 PM
Over the last month I have had little time for the range but can still shot near my hcp. Where in the past I would strugle with CB irons (and did last week when I used some DCI-B irons).

I have found the blades make me
-focus more
-offer more feed back
-and make me control my swing (to get results)

Blades aren't for everyone but I think they are working for me.[/quote]

Pete

Congratulations on the Handicap drop.:smt023 Things can only get better.
I am not going to criticise your choice of equipment, you can use whatever you want as long as it makes you happy-not that you need others to validate your equipment choice.
A couple of observations on your statements and one query for info. Firstly, surely blades don't make you focus more or control your swing, that is more a mental approach and if you applied the same mental approach to cavity backs you would get the same results-ie. its not related to equipment(blades or cavity backs) it a mental thing.
Secondly, I've never understood the feedback thing, can you explain what feedback you are actually getting(or looking for) and how it changes your approach? For myself I have always thought that the ultimate result-how the shot ended up(how high it went, ball flight etc) is more useful feedback as to how I approach swing changes for the next shot. Feedback from the moment of impact is also a little useful, but not for current shot-once the club has impacted it is too late to change the shot- and as I said I find the shot characteristics more useful feedback for swing changes to approach the next shot. Also, from my experience, I have always felt the same impact feedback from blades as cavity backs-the only difference being that cavity backs were not as jarring and the resultant shot not as wayward.

As I said previously not criticising your choice of equipment butjust trying to get more info about how the equipment affects your game.

Once again congratulations on the handicap drop.

Justin

Fishman Dan
29th May 2006, 01:20 PM
[sung]....Put another log on the fire....

just
29th May 2006, 01:32 PM
[sung]....Put another log on the fire....

Fishman

I am not trying to stir PeterRS up. I have read his, and forgive me if I misqoute"My name is PeterRS and I am becoming a golfer" thread (or at least most of it because it is quite long). Peter has perceptions about his equipment and I am interested in how he justifies them, not whether he should use that equipment or not.

Justin

peter_rs
29th May 2006, 02:17 PM
Hi Justin,

Yes it maybe a mental thing(I'm still better out of the trees then from the fairway) but I stand over a blade and think I have to put a good swing on this to make the club work for me, with a CB it was more oh well its a forgiving club any swing will do. I Also find a blade easier to line up.

The feedback I look for is where the ball hits the club, with a CB I found it was either good or bad no shade of gray. ball flight is part of this. But you can hit a shot that looks perfect to others but by the feedback you know you got lucky. I can "find" my swing fast with a blade during practise then a CB.

The other things blades offer me are-
-a smaller sole which I find better for taking the divots I like. with a wider sole CB (eg cally) I have tend to dig holes.
-a more workable club. I like to play a low hook or high cut as I need. most CB have more offset which makes this harder. and design for higher launch angles

The bottom line is when I first started I played CB had lessons(17) with a few coaches(3) but I did not see real results after a two years (swing was better but the scoring wasn't). I changed to blades which my last coach said was fine if I did the work, and I'm getting results.

With the modern blades I have used I don't see a huge loss of distance that others claim ( In like the the fact it has helped me more because bad shots have found less trouble because they are less off line).

Its because that thread is so long and out dated that I started a new one. Hoping to leave the **** behind. In the other thread I also said I would change back to CB's if I could not handle the blades or after six months I was not scoring better. well its six months later and I'm now playing to my hcp and it has dropped.

I'm not saying blades are the only club for me but I need to look down at my irons and think "I like the way it looks, I know I can hit it"

3oneday
29th May 2006, 02:32 PM
Can't see it getting 17 pages to be honest.....

:lol:

peter_rs
29th May 2006, 02:46 PM
With pointless posts like that it could ;)

PeteyD
29th May 2006, 03:52 PM
post whores!

shazza_rs
29th May 2006, 04:17 PM
Congrats to Pete on dropping his handicap....

Guess this means i need to pull my finger out and drop mine ;)

Oh Crap!

Jarro
29th May 2006, 04:32 PM
Guess this means i need to pull my finger out and drop mine ;)

Oh Crap!

.. you make it sound so sexual Shaz :smt079

Congrats on the handicap reduction Pete, you've really been playing well lately 8)