PDA

View Full Version : Pro shop told me not to bother coming yesterday

Grumpy8
16th September 2016, 09:34 PM
I was unable to have a game yesterday even though I had put my name down on the timesheet early in the week.
I had put my name down with two others at 12.48 thurs comp. It was an individual stableford and multiplier comp so you needed a partner .
With wet weather people are going to pull out I get that but you work those around who turn up so everyone gets a game or so I thought .
I was working thurs am and get a message on my phone saying call the pro shop , so I do , get told not to come up for the comp because there is no one to partner me .
What they didn't know was I had checked the bookings a couple of times and what had actually happened is one of the two guys had cancelled and the other guy, a 2 marker I might add here ,had shifted out of my slot to a slot below leaving me with no one in my slot .So there was a group of 4, me by myself and a group of 4 below me including the guy who had been in my time slot . This last group was a scratch marker, the 2 capper ,the pro who, messaged me and the bar manager who plays off 3 .

The same guys did exactly same thing last week as well, one cancels, the 2 capper shifts and left me by myself, but as it happens I had to cancel because of a funeral . Which is why I was watching the timesheet this time .
I have never played with him I only put my name down with him and his mate because there was a spare slot at a time I could make after work.

In my 40 years around clubs I have never heard of this happening, where you get told not to come because there is no one else in your slot .

Has it happened to anyone else ?

I have emailed the club manager and voiced my displeasure . Should I make an official complaint ? Am I over reacting ?

What is really pissing me off is that I badly wanted/needed a game to prepare for my matchplay final .

It was apparent looking at the results that players had two partners, meaning groups of three went out .As it happens my opponent was in one of them , so he got a good warm up .

To me this smells of elitism and not wanting to play with the new guy . What they have effectively done is sabotage my preparations for the matchplay , thursday was the only day I could play because of work and wet weather .

oldracer
16th September 2016, 09:49 PM
absolutely...****em n find a new club

Dotty
16th September 2016, 10:02 PM
Have the AFP do an audit on his computer.

Probably won't find anything, but his reputation at the club (and the industry) will be shot.

Ferrins
16th September 2016, 10:15 PM
Do they have their own table at the club?

backintheswing
16th September 2016, 10:16 PM
Sounds like you don't like low markers.

damoocow
16th September 2016, 10:44 PM
I'm confused. Could you have still played but not in the comp?

Johnny Canuck
16th September 2016, 10:50 PM
Brutal on the club's part, especially when the pro and bar manager were after you.

Groups should have been changed or you been added to the last group to ensure you get a game.

JADO75
16th September 2016, 10:56 PM
Why couldn't someone swing & you play in a 5?

3Puttpete
16th September 2016, 11:09 PM
That's just shit

Hatchman
16th September 2016, 11:23 PM
Sounds like a great club with great people .......... Not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BayBum
16th September 2016, 11:34 PM
Bunch of tossers.

Ferrins
17th September 2016, 05:39 AM
When I was in Tasmania I was a member of Pittwater golf club. I was down in the last group with the president and the captain in the Saturday comp. Went to check in 15mins early and no one was around so was a bit confused when I noticed my playing partners on the second green. They told me that they decided to go early and bad luck. I told them to fk off and joined Tasmania instead. That was only after Royal told me to piss off because I was a main lander and they had an inbred two head policy.

Coldtopper
17th September 2016, 07:26 AM
Stop sooking it happens to me every week!
What I would do is belt crap out the Shooter, get a fresh dog turd and put it in his bag, nugget his grips and pull the ferrules down and saw half way through the shaft replace ferrule.
OR simply invite me for a game and watch the entertainment!

Coldtopper
17th September 2016, 07:37 AM
When I was in Tasmania I was a member of Pittwater golf club. I was down in the last group with the president and the captain in the Saturday comp. Went to check in 15mins early and no one was around so was a bit confused when I noticed my playing partners on the second green. They told me that they decided to go early and bad luck. I told them to fk off and joined Tasmania instead. That was only after Royal told me to piss off because I was a main lander and they had an inbred two head policy. cool I've been a member of 4 clubs in the last 3 years and currently a member of 2, I play monthly so they forget about what I say!

mrbluu
17th September 2016, 08:16 AM
cool I've been a member of 4 clubs in the last 3 years and currently a member of 2, I play monthly so they forget about what I say!
Is 2 clubs and playing monthly enough time for them to recover??😆

Coldtopper
17th September 2016, 09:16 AM
Is 2 clubs and playing monthly enough time for them to recover??😆 no but seems to work atm. I hate golf wankers always have. once in a club championship a wanker was leading fter the third round so I glued his wood covers to his woods, got suspended, didn't play 4th round, got a bj of his daughter at a party, shared the pictures and have never returned to that club! Moral to the story never let a golf wanker get away with anything.

dowdsy
17th September 2016, 09:18 AM
You could have played in a five and the lowest marker then has two partners, you and his chosen one. Thats how i thought it was supposedvto work, thats how we do it at my club if there is a no show.

3oneday
17th September 2016, 09:31 AM
I think at 12:48 that heightens the risk of not getting a game.

Pro should have rung and tried to slot you in earlier.

Captain Nemo
17th September 2016, 09:39 AM
Sounds like a great club, remind me not to come for a game if I'm in the area, lol!

JADO75
17th September 2016, 09:51 AM
I wonder if he's name was Happy8 instead of Grumpy8 would he have got a game?

Grumpy8
17th September 2016, 12:32 PM
I'm confused. Could you have still played but not in the comp?I could have and did do some practice but I really wanted to play in the comp , my short game is the weakest part of my game and playing the multiplier puts a lot of pressure cause if you have a wipe you ruin whatever your partner has , was an ideal warm up for the matchplay

Grumpy8
17th September 2016, 12:34 PM
I think at 12:48 that heightens the risk of not getting a game.Pro should have rung and tried to slot you in earlier.I agree , he could have told the guy that switched out of my timeslot into his not too and stay where he was

Grumpy8
17th September 2016, 12:35 PM
You could have played in a five and the lowest marker then has two partners, you and his chosen one. Thats how i thought it was supposedvto work, thats how we do it at my club if there is a no show.That's how it's been done at the other 12 clubs I have been a member of

Grumpy8
17th September 2016, 12:36 PM
I wonder if he's name was Happy8 instead of Grumpy8 would he have got a game? Happy scratch marker might work

Dotty
17th September 2016, 12:54 PM
Order a Titleist 917 driver, fairway woods and hybrid.

When he phones you to say they have come in, tell him that you already have 14 clubs in the bag and you don't have any spots for them.

Captain Nemo
17th September 2016, 12:56 PM
Order a Titleist 917 driver, fairway woods and hybrid.

When he phones you to say they have come in, tell him that you already have 14 clubs in the bag and you don't have any spots for them.

:smt082

Ferrins
17th September 2016, 01:19 PM
Awesome work Dotty😀👍

Grumpy8
17th September 2016, 03:42 PM
Order a Titleist 917 driver, fairway woods and hybrid. When he phones you to say they have come in, tell him that you already have 14 clubs in the bag and you don't have any spots for them.That's a good one cept it might be a bit subtle for him .

Grumpy8
17th September 2016, 07:19 PM
Update to this , received an email from the club manager , my claims have been investigated , the matter is going to the match committee for discussion .
Manager also apologised for what happened and said they hoped I will continue to play at the club .

oldracer
17th September 2016, 07:40 PM
50% fees on renewal works for the embarrassment and humiliation ��

jimandr
18th September 2016, 01:52 PM
I think Grumpy has the opportunity to turn this into a positive, both for himself and for the club.

Every club I've been at has had a number of notorious cliques of players who love to play with each other (in all senses of the term) to the exclusion of others. That clique is not necessarily of low handicappers, but often is.

A characteristic of that group is usually lots and lots of in-joke banter and sidebets within the group. It can be quite an unpleasant experience to be an interloper in the group. If you want to play a serious game, as Grumpy says he wanted to do, you are better off without them.

The other thing for Grumpy is that he now has a tale to tell, where he can play the victim. He may be able to parlay this into something favourable down the track. Even if not, he now knows one group of players to avoid in the midweek comp.

Ferrins
18th September 2016, 02:08 PM
Well said Jim.

Grumpy8
18th September 2016, 06:29 PM
I think Grumpy has the opportunity to turn this into a positive, both for himself and for the club.

Every club I've been at has had a number of notorious cliques of players who love to play with each other (in all senses of the term) to the exclusion of others. That clique is not necessarily of low handicappers, but often is.

A characteristic of that group is usually lots and lots of in-joke banter and sidebets within the group. It can be quite an unpleasant experience to be an interloper in the group. If you want to play a serious game, as Grumpy says he wanted to do, you are better off without them.

The other thing for Grumpy is that he now has a tale to tell, where he can play the victim. He may be able to parlay this into something favourable down the track. Even if not, he now knows one group of players to avoid in the midweek comp.
Jim you are spot on with the majority of what you said , a couple of members told me that there are a couple of cliques who play late on thurs and to stay away from them for exactly what you say side bets , in jokes and even unwanted lessons (not from the pro tho ) . Unfortunately my work commitments at the moment left me with no choice .
I will now look at changing my work or not playing on thursdays or changing clubs .
Unfortunately these guys did manage to sabotage my matchplay final ( I probably wouldn't have won unless I played well under my cap ) but I was certainly flat mentally , I battled thru last weeks semi final a day after my mums funeral , so with this crap on thursday added to the mix I wasnt really on top of my game mentally .So I could and will play the victim but it will be more to clean up this crap than a poor me thing .
I am not a big fan of timesheets , they breed this elitism and cliques , I know bigger clubs have got to have them , but if my protests and trouble making makes the pro and the two marker think twice about pulling this stunt again I will have achieved something .
I am very interested to see what the match committee do ( if anything ) .
I have put my name down with the club captain on Sat , I am in his premier league team , so I don't think he will switch out on me .

markTHEblake
20th September 2016, 09:11 PM
I have never heard of a Pro Shop ringing someone two days before a comp like this in my 35 years of member golf.
It always has been the case that the Starter will make arrangements for the wallflower player to get out to play one way or another - no matter what. whether that be as a group of 5 or two groups of a 2 and a 3, or 3 groups of 3 to even it out.

Whenever someone would cry about being moved away from his boyfreinds, the starter might say something like "harden up princess" because the starter makes the rules.

Grumpy8
20th September 2016, 10:14 PM
I have never heard of a Pro Shop ringing someone two days before a comp like this in my 35 years of member golf.It always has been the case that the Starter will make arrangements for the wallflower player to get out to play one way or another - no matter what. whether that be as a group of 5 or two groups of a 2 and a 3, or 3 groups of 3 to even it out.Whenever someone would cry about being moved away from his boyfreinds, the starter might say something like "harden up princess" because the starter makes the rules.He rang me on the day of the comp , but like you I have never heard of someone not getting a game when they wanted to play . Was why I wondering if it was some sort to plot to sabotage the new guy .

Grumpy8
24th September 2016, 06:44 PM
Update : pro was up in front of match committee , has been reprimanded and told he mustn't allow anything like that to happen again. The guy that shifted time slots wasn't spoken to but the club captain did describe him as a dickhead .Captain apologised again for the events that occurred.
Pro didn't apologise to me today when I checked in which I think is a tad rude

oldracer
24th September 2016, 06:59 PM
pro sounds like a tosser that certainly didn't like getting hauled over the coals, good luck with him

Sydney Hacker
24th September 2016, 07:01 PM
Safe to say you won't be getting any specials in the pro shop anytime soon.

TheNuclearOne
24th September 2016, 07:12 PM
Safe to say he probably won't be buying anything in there either i reckon.

Coldtopper
24th September 2016, 09:27 PM
So you recently joined, you throw clubs and get told off when you win a match and some don't want to play with you so you get the poo's and make a scene and let everyone know ! I'd be looking around for another course !

Ferrins
25th September 2016, 06:46 AM
So you recently joined, you throw clubs and get told off when you win a match and some don't want to play with you so you get the poo's and make a scene and let everyone know ! I'd be looking around for another course !

Coopers Country
25th September 2016, 09:08 AM
That's how it's been done at the other 12 clubs I have been a member of

:roll:

Grumpy8
25th September 2016, 01:07 PM
good point cold topper , except at no stage did my club throwing get brought up ,I am not a regular club thrower ,it takes a lot of built up frustration to make me throw a club , I do however swear at myself a fair bit . Should I get hauled up to the committee for throwing clubs or swearing I would cop it on the chin .
The guy who shifted timeslots is a well known dickhead and I had been warned about him, it seems very few golfers put their name down with him ,he gives unwanted lessons and clinics to other golfers mid round I believe , but his time slot was the only one available at a time I could play and as it was the second time he had done it to me in a few weeks, it was time to say something .
I also think the club is having trouble with the pro he has been there a longtime and it seems to me he is resistant to change , looks like he is just hanging on till he retires , only plays golf with the same clique ,there are no beginners clinics no junior program and he wont start any according to a few people I have spoken too.
Not saying something and just putting up with it doesn't change or fix anything . I very much doubt anyone else will get left without a game when they want one . I might also add I had no trouble finding a partner for next weeks 2 man ambrose .

Grumpy8
25th September 2016, 01:15 PM
:roll:
12 clubs isnt a lot given I have moved around a fair bit for work and partners , I have lived in 3 states and been around golf for 40 odd years