PDA

View Full Version : G LS TEC v M1 460...

Jerrymoo
14th September 2016, 08:50 AM
I see the YouTube guys match them fairly evenly. I think Shiels has the M1 with a slight edge, though.

Currently have the G LS Tec, 9° with 7.2 Tour Spec, and so far it's been a solid setup. Not the longest driver I've ever had, but I've had a few rounds with 12/14 fairways of late which is really good for me.

So why am I looking at the M1?

The PING seems to sit up a little, might be giving up some distance. I like the idea of extra adjustability in the M1. And I can't help myself, really... I find something that works, then my inner need for self-defeat gets the better of me.

Have hit the M1 a few times... not mad on the white/glossy finish, but I like the shape, and it seems to go well enough.

Any thoughts?

Wenz
14th September 2016, 09:33 AM
12/14 Fairways pretty much says it all.

I would rather be in the short stuff 150 out then having to shape a shot around a tree from 130 out.

FuzzyJuzzy
14th September 2016, 09:54 AM
I like my M1 460 and when I'm swinging and striking it well it's plenty long. I also love the look/feel of it. But it wasn't really designed to be a fairway finder - not for hackers like me, which is why I'm moving to a standard G model. From what I can see/tell, the Ping may be a little shorter but will be more of a fairway finder. I also think that the Ping G looks absolutely bloody rad.

dM.
14th September 2016, 10:04 AM
If you are finding the many fairways you are better then the pro's:

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.102.html

I'd take 12/14 fairways over 10-15 Meters longer every day, don't be an idiot and stick with what works!

I'm sure there is somewhere else in the bag that you can improve on (Fairways, irons, wedges?).

WBennett
14th September 2016, 10:06 AM
I am hitting roughly 80% of fairways with my G30. And am now .1 off the lowest handicap of my life - after a wet and difficult winter.

This thing is the business for me

3oneday
14th September 2016, 10:09 AM
I'd take 6 fairways.

mrbluu
14th September 2016, 10:40 AM
I'd take 6 fairways.
I would take 6 fw in a month of golf!!!

Sydney Hacker
14th September 2016, 10:46 AM
I'd take 6 fairways. Do they have to be your fairways, or are adjacent ones ok?

Jerrymoo
14th September 2016, 10:49 AM
Yeah, 12/14 definitely not the norm for me.

Last summer I was only ~1/2, and as bad as 1/3 some rounds. Ended up reaching for 3-wood mostly... only hit 1 or 2 drivers a round at times.

3oneday
14th September 2016, 10:50 AM
Do they have to be your fairways, or are adjacent ones ok?I'd be OK with that too, I don't hit it straight enough to hit mine or crooked enough to hit someone elses :)

Sydney Hacker
14th September 2016, 11:31 AM
I'd be OK with that too, I don't hit it straight enough to hit mine or crooked enough to hit someone elses :) Your screwed then!

3oneday
14th September 2016, 11:46 AM
Not whilst I can continue buying different drivers to blame :)

braddles
15th September 2016, 12:34 PM
I just sold my G LS. I have had the M1, but now using the M2. The M2 is also very long - I think I hit the M1 further, however it was summer when I had the M1!

JADO75
18th September 2016, 12:41 PM
I think both the G LS & the M1 favour the right side of the fairway which is great if you're a drawer/hooker of the ball (right handed) but not so much if you have a big leak to the right in your game. I prefer the G30 LS over the new G LS, I like the head shape of the G but I'm not a fan of the sound of feel even after wiling the head. I had a 9* & 10.5* G LS & while I hit some big balls with both I still think they were shorter than my G30.
I've previously owned a M1 460 9.5* & still have a 430 9.5*. To be honest I hardly ever use it even though it's a beautiful feeling, sounding & looking club. I find the M1 harder to turn over than the G/G30 LS, the M1 likes to go a bit more right & spins less.
If I had to choose, I'd go with the M1 over the G LS but I'd choose the G30 LS over the M1.
Not sure if you've tried the King LTD but I'd take it over anything at the moment.

Lucasto23
18th September 2016, 04:13 PM
I think both the G LS & the M1 favour the right side of the fairway which is great if you're a drawer/hooker of the ball (right handed) but not so much if you have a big leak to the right in your game. I prefer the G30 LS over the new G LS, I like the head shape of the G but I'm not a fan of the sound of feel even after wiling the head. I had a 9* & 10.5* G LS & while I hit some big balls with both I still think they were shorter than my G30. I've previously owned a M1 460 9.5* & still have a 430 9.5*. To be honest I hardly ever use it even though it's a beautiful feeling, sounding & looking club. I find the M1 harder to turn over than the G/G30 LS, the M1 likes to go a bit more right & spins less. If I had to choose, I'd go with the M1 over the G LS but I'd choose the G30 LS over the M1.Not sure if you've tried the King LTD but I'd take it over anything at the moment. Let me know if you want to get rid of any of the 9.5* M1 heads :)

Leftfoot75
19th September 2016, 07:46 PM
It seems all the M1's are selling for $579 in all retailers now. That'll make them $529 at Golfbox.
Damn tempting to pick up an M1-430 at that price since I have some spare cash...but my R15-430 is so going so well atm!