PDA

View Full Version : Walk offs....

terryand
28th May 2006, 08:18 AM
Reading in another thread about Grunt walking off the course got me thinking when I had done it and if any one else had and for what reason.

I've walked 3 time in the last 12 months (all at Windy).

The first time was when we had played 6 holes in 2 hours and I had to take my folks to the airport,a 4 1/2 hour round would have been fine but 6 hours i was never going to make it.

The second was after hurting my hand at work(can't remember if it was the time I burnt some fingers with the oxy torch or whacked it some other way) a week of days before and thought it was feeling ok to play,but it just got more and more painful as the day went on to swing the club.

And the third was when I got a call from Jo to tell me our neighbour had died over night and all of a sudden golf didn't seem the place to be.

Terry.

Matt 3 Jab
28th May 2006, 08:26 AM
I have once when i needed to work, that was after 9 holes, the only other time i have walked off is in practice rounds where i was just hitting it left right and loosing like 6 balls in 7 holes, then I gave up.

goughy
28th May 2006, 08:37 AM
I can only recall doing it twice. The first time it was raining (that's ok) but at the completion of the second hole we got hit by a huge rainstorm. Dad and I decided since we were still near the carpark that would be it for us. When we got home (2mins) a hail storm hit. Seemed we made a good decision.

Second time it was raining. Not heavy, so our group decided to continue on. After 9 holes it got a bit more extreme and one of the group quit. 3 of us kept playing, but were having to take continual drops for casual water. We ended up giving up dropping in the fairways eventually just playing as it lay. But we were often having to pick up our balls on the green and move them 180degrees to get out of casual water. We were the only ones left on the course when we got to the par 3 15th. Hit our tee shots then got to the green and picked up our balls. The hole itself was under 2" of water. Funny enough the 15th is about as far from the clubhouse as you can get.

I did (by coincidence) play several rounds with one guy who would always quit after 9 if his score wasn't good enough. Didn't much care in those days appart from the fact that I thought he was throwing his money away. Now days it'd peeve me more.

Now days I get out so rarely that even shooting 140 wouldn't get me off the course

Jarro
28th May 2006, 08:39 AM
i walked off after 17.5 holes at Redcliffe once.

reason : hit in the nuts by an errant tee-shot coming from the first tee.

I thought it was a fair enough reason to not complete my round ;)

only other time i can remember is not so long ago playing 4 holes in the Nudgee comp and having to walk-off due to the cyclonic conditions that were happening at the time :roll:

Fishman Dan
28th May 2006, 09:09 AM
I thought the nuts would be the safest place to hit you J-nonuts. :p

Yesterday my partner walked off the course. Older bloke and was taking Celebrex for a bad back, but hadn't had any food before the medication. As such he felt like crap. He made it through 11 holes (he birdied the 11th!), but after an errant tee shot on the 12th he said that was enough. He had threatened to go for several holes so it didn't come out of the blue. It was a Stableford Aggregate event, so that was a shame but he wasn't going well enough to matter.

Last medal round i NCR'd. I was about 100 over after 6, but someone played (pinched!) my ball off the 7th tee. It runs adjacent to the 15th, and social players can get on before our comp starts. We quizzed a group but we were very suss. Regardless, i had to go back to the tee and reload, by that time there was a group waiting for us, another leaving the previous green.... it was all over for me in my mind. My partners had finished the hole.

I got near the 7th green and waved them on to play their tee shots before i got there. I could have finished and 'manufactured a score' (my markers words), but it wouldn't have been right, and i had already held them up. Besides... i had the $hits!!

So i went back to the car and locked my keys in the boot! :oops: Took 2 hours for the NRMA to turn up.... karma ;)

BrisVegas
28th May 2006, 09:55 AM
only other time i can remember is not so long ago playing 4 holes in the Nudgee comp and having to walk-off due to the cyclonic conditions that were happening at the time :roll:

Yes I remember that day well.... An hour's drive each way for 40 minutes golf in the pouring rain. Glad we walked off actually, as perci was giving me a touch up in our match.... :oops:

I "felt" like walking off after the first 9 of my match with Gaz at Wynnum last year. I think I was 6 down after 7 and just going nowhere. Turned in 44... Made some birds on the back 9 to go a couple under and make a match of it. It was fun to see the look on Gaz's face on the 17th green when it was back to 1 up!! You just never know what's gonna happen on the back 9...

3oneday
28th May 2006, 09:56 AM
Twice in the last 6 months, left shoulder going up the 9th, right shoulder last month after 10 (although I should have stopped after 1).

Must be old age, had never walked off before then. Reckon I would have walked off in fits of laughter after watching Jarro coponeindanuts though !!!!!

I'm laughing about it now !!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fishman Dan
28th May 2006, 10:03 AM
I can see it now - NCR: Laughing too hard to continue.

Jarro
28th May 2006, 10:12 AM
you wanna know the funniest bit .......

.. i got home and told the missus, and she laughed her head off :mad:

Bloody woman :roll:

3oneday
28th May 2006, 10:27 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

terryand
28th May 2006, 10:43 AM
I remember another round at Nudgee with Jarro and Perci.

it was a mid week round and never stopped thinking about the job I should've been on.After playing badly and my conscience getting the better of me I left after nine and went to finish the job.

As it was it was a good call,because if i had of stayed for another nine (2 hour) I wouldn't have finished what needed doing before the inspector turned up.

Terry.

Eag's
28th May 2006, 11:21 AM
I have walked off once due to very bad blisters on my heels :oops:
I wore a new pair of shoes and only lasted 9 holes (ran out of bandaids) both heels were rubbed
raw :( hobbled off to the club house like an 90 year old.

I have been tempted to walk off on a few occasions over the last few weeks :evil:

connico
28th May 2006, 12:13 PM
never, and never been close, but that doesnt mean i won't. Im only young and really been playing golf for like 7-8 months.

BrisWesty
28th May 2006, 12:55 PM
Once. Played 9 holes of monthly medal, with thunder and lightning in the vicinity. Was more concerned about that than my game, was way over handicap, and just didn't like the thought of playing with 16 lightning rods (incl ball scoop and umbrella).

markTHEblake
28th May 2006, 01:25 PM
I did it once, I was on call and we would get called out on average twice a weekend. but murphy's law says that if i dont play golf, i wouldnt get called out. Anyway I got paged on the 13th hole, so was not close enough to the clubhouse to keep playing.

and i reported the walk off to the club captain when i got back, and he accepted my reason. As far as I am concerned a walk-off is a serious breach of ettiquette.

Grunt
28th May 2006, 01:57 PM
I too feel as if it is a breach of ettiquette, but I had had enough!! I was not going to let it get my whole day ruined by some stupid golf club. I know my golflink does show a few NCR's but this was my first walk off in anger. All the others were when due to round being no different to put the card in or not. (in saying that I completed the round but the card never got put in)

I also hope it is my last too. I am not going to get all tied up by a club again. Also I am just going to be a golfer and not worry about ever expressing my opinion unless it is asked for.

AndyP
28th May 2006, 04:27 PM
As far as I am concerned a walk-off is a serious breach of ettiquette.
Totally agree with you, Blakey. If you are walking off, you'd want a good reason.

As shirty as I was with the game last weekend, and although I did consider it, I couldn't walk off in the middle of a round, it would be rude to my playing partners. Plus you never know what could happen in the rest of the round.

Moe Norman
28th May 2006, 07:33 PM
I don't recall any times that I have walked off but I think I may have once or twice.

Unless there is a good reason - health, emergency, weather, unnacceptable time constraints - I believe it to be a terrible breach of golfing ettiquette.

If someone walked off the course from my group due to poor play I would never play in their 4 again.

Courty
28th May 2006, 09:18 PM
I've walked many times due to weather, but that's a given in FNQ.
The only other time I walked off was after 14 holes. I was seriously dehydrated and overheated. It was a morning round in summer so it was about 35?, 95% humidity and there was not a whisper of wind. My vision was blurry, my head felt like a boiled egg, and I felt if I went any further I would have collapsed.
I too, see walking off as seriously poor ettiquette unless there is a good reason. In Grant's case, I can understand why he did it and don't blame him.

Ducky
28th May 2006, 09:30 PM
I walked off at Blackheath golf course after the first nine holes in a juniour tournament. It was to the point of snowing, and I figured that winning was not worth another two hours of freezing my ass off. I was sick for around four days after that.

Fishman Dan
28th May 2006, 09:40 PM
If someone walked off the course from my group due to poor play I would never play in their 4 again.

So it's a win-win? At least that's what they'd tell you anyway ;)

jimandr
28th May 2006, 11:49 PM
It doesn't particularly worry me when people walk off. I've seen it quite a lot, particularly in stroke events when guys are having a really bad round. I've heard it is quite common in Vardon events, when guys can protect their Vardon standings if they don't finish.

I never 'want' to walk off, but a couple of times I've gone with the majority opinion when others in the group have suggested it, either through ultra-slow play, when we knew we wouldn't finish before dark, or through lightning/storms weather delays etc.

Once I was the only fit player left in the four. One guy was deathly crook with the flu, and lasted three holes. A second guy pulled a muscle in his side (also on the third hole), but stayed with us as marker until the 13th, when the 3rd guy snapped a club against a tree, hurting his wrist in the process. I wasn't having a good day, so I didn't mind. The guy with the pulled muscle made his injury worse by laughing at his mate all the way back to the clubhouse.

Trung
29th May 2006, 12:02 AM
this is a funny story, and i heard it first hand....

Many years ago, when when the 1st is the now 17th hole. There is one prick at Carnarvon which is well known to older members there.

A mate of mine started off as a 32HCPer. His first event happened to be the foursomes.

Started on the first, his playing partner saw his hcp and was not happy.... My mate duffed his tee shot to about 30m off the first tee...

His playing partner said: "Gee, look at the sky, I think its going to rain" and then walked off the course.

ps. Blue sky and no rain that day, it was perfect for golf.

Flowergirl
29th May 2006, 05:38 PM
I have had a few occassions when I haven't finished - mainly health reasons.I remember falling over after taking some pretty heavy pain killers - only lasted three holes and I had birdied the third!!

Although there was one time that I was in such a crap bad tempered mood and I was playing so bad that I left after nine holes. My main concern was that one of my playing partners was having a great game and I didn't want to drag her down. It was just one of those days that I hated evryone and everything - ask your wives or girlfriends - they'll understand.:twisted: I don't think my partners thought it was bad etiquette - they were happy to see me go.

Also when my playing partner split her head open and I took her to hospital.
Also when it was so cold and wet I was not having fun and thought going home with a scotch and a good book in front of the fire was a lot more appealing.:-D

amanda
29th May 2006, 05:48 PM
Never walked off the course - I've only been forced off by bad weather (brad, blakey, andyp and a few others will remember the lighting at Nambour and then the downpour at Horton Park).

I know a fair few people who will pick up during a stroke round if they are havingn a shocker and DQ themselves - but they'll play out the rest of the holes just for fun.

AndyP
29th May 2006, 06:48 PM
Never walked off the course - I've only been forced off by bad weather (brad, blakey, andyp and a few others will remember the lighting at Nambour and then the downpour at Horton Park).
Like the troopers we are, we finished both of those rounds.

Chris32
31st May 2006, 12:15 PM
I have never walked off, just not in the spirit of the game. Been a few times where I thought I'd rather be someplace else, but you tough it out

Off topic, I have only ever thrown a club once too, playing about 6 years ago with my dad, we where on the 17th hole, and I hit a great drive, my best shot of the day. I think I was already around 108, so it was a shocker.
We watched my drive roll down the fairway, and being summer, it kept rolling - across the fairway, through the rough and onto the next fairway. Fair enough, I'd have a shot.
We got down there and as the course was quite hilly, the ball had rolled through the other fairway, and into a creek! Took a drop, then my next shot, I shanked, in my follow through, I tossed my club in the air. I was livid.
I turned around to see my club land square on my old mans shoulder, right in the centre of the shaft! It bounce off, and the look on his face, I thought I was dead! A stern talking too followed, and I have never, ever thrown a club since!

AndyP
31st May 2006, 12:40 PM
But what are the chances of you hitting your dad now, if you threw a club?

Chris32
31st May 2006, 01:14 PM
Nil, as he doesn't play much anymore!

What are other peoples views on club throwing?

BrisVegas
31st May 2006, 01:20 PM
What are other peoples views on club throwing?

If it disrupts the game of your playing partners, it's not on.

If it's kinda off to the side and discrete, then go nuts. It's your money.

I like to stick a putter or wedge in the ground sometimes when I feel they've let me down. I think it's a good way to give them some time out to reflect. And it's not that disruptive either.

Fishman Dan
31st May 2006, 01:24 PM
A whack on the ground after a shot is as bad as i get. Or toss it in the air and catch the clubhead as it rotates.

Then think.... calm blue ocean.. calm blue ocean... calm blue ocean..

peter_rs
31st May 2006, 01:31 PM
During the friday round of the riverlakes Pro-am. One of the pros (on a invite) we played with walked of after 8 holes of **** to sign a contract on deal he was doing.

brad
31st May 2006, 01:55 PM
I have been on call and had to walk off due to support rules once. I told the pro and apologised to my playing partners before doing it though. Whether has also stopped a second round, but when the asst-pro comes down in cart and says 'round is cancelled since the 14th and 15th are under water, I think that's ok. Other than that I've threatened to walk off many times (back in angry Brads days) but never did.

I'm with BV, Club throwing is not on if it can be noticed by any other human!

Courty
31st May 2006, 01:58 PM
Club-throwing is bad, mmkay. I give mine a whack on the ground if it has disobeyed me. But letting go of the handle is a different story altogether.

Jono
31st May 2006, 04:44 PM
I really admire players who can still have a laugh and be great company even when they're playing crap. For example, when I played with Addam at Robina, he shot his highest ever score there (or so he says ... ;) ). You couldn't tell by his actions though. He was telling jokes, giving me and Alo tips ... just having fun. He later told me that he used to get angry when he played badly, but soon learned that this didn't help matters.

Jarro
31st May 2006, 04:47 PM
Club-throwing is bad, mmkay. I give mine a whack on the ground if it has disobeyed me. But letting go of the handle is a different story altogether.

my sentiments exactly :-D

it's never the clubs fault, just the dip**** hanging onto it.

markTHEblake
31st May 2006, 11:04 PM
I remember once searching 6 foot high grass for my mates driver, couldnt stop laughing at the time.

The funniest walk off i have heard about was on Diggers day (free grog on the course) at horton park. One of the members was 71 years old, fit as a fiddle and drunk himself to oblivion regularily, and had his own golf cart. He was blind drunk before he teed off, on the 4th hole( no longer there) he got himself a 7oz fglass full of straight rum, and skolled it. He preceded to take about 8 shots on the 140m par 3 to reach the green and finally fell flat on his face getting the ball out of the hole.

As the other guys were putting out they heard the distinctive sound of a golf cart racing off, he had enough and was headiing back to the clubhouse, with his playing partners clubs still on the cart....