PDA

View Full Version : What format should the Ozgolf world championships be played

jaster
2nd August 2004, 05:55 PM
Alright, now is the time to have your say....highest votes wins!!

Onewood
2nd August 2004, 05:56 PM
STROKE 8)

terryand
2nd August 2004, 06:06 PM
Fence :-k :smt102 :smt017

Terry.

Jarro
2nd August 2004, 06:11 PM
I like Trungs idea 8)

Onewood
2nd August 2004, 06:16 PM
STROKE 8)

With the champion being the nett winner :wink: thats why we have handicaps.....no gross winner :D

terryand
2nd August 2004, 06:54 PM
I have to confirm tomorrow, but we may have a slight problem with the Champs. It appears the helpful lass doing the group bookings has not checked the fixture book for the 31st Oct.

We are OK for the morning 18, teeing off on the West Course from 7:15am.

However the daily comp on the River course is a rare shotgun start at 9:00. This will make it very interesting with our 12:45 booking. The bloke I spoke to today doubts if we would get our first arvo group off until 1:15. It's not a total writeoff as we still have light until at least 7:00pm so providing we get our plast group off by 2:30 we still should be fine. It just means its going to be a long day.
It might just mean that the arvo comp might have to be a stab event to trim the time a little.

Maybe we can tee off bit later in the morning.

So the gap is not so big.

Terry.

Jono
2nd August 2004, 09:22 PM
G69,

Having booked my flight and already looking forward to the event, I got a sickly feeling as I started to read your post. Then I breathed a sigh of relief that it will still be on the 31st of Oct. :smt023

I don't mind a bit of a break in between the morning and afternoon rounds. I'm sure 20+ keen golfers can find something to amuse ourselves. Swap shop perhaps? (bring all your unsold clubs, Jarro ... :wink: ) Trying out each others equipment at the practice range. Or just having a lazy lunch.

If we tee off immediately after the shotgun group, it should be pretty smooth sailing as there will be no one in front of us. Since us Ozgolfers are not slow players :wink: I think we can still fit in the stroke round in the arvo.

BTW, are we planning on having dinner and presentation in the club house afterwards?

BTW, my vote goes for Trung's mixed format as well. Net winner gets the "champ" title (just to keep everyone interested), whilst the gross winner gets the bragging rights as the best player on Ozgolf.

Trung
3rd August 2004, 04:41 PM
8) very good Jaster

Speirsy11
3rd August 2004, 09:36 PM
Guys, I've been away......Tell me more about this "World Championships" :D

Where? When? How much? I'm fully in if it fits the exam schedule......

Also, I voted for gross winner being named champ......we can get the low NET guy something too, but the lowest is lowest and he should get the title.....Not that I'd be in the running or anything :oops:

So, who's got the info for me?

Speirsy11

markTHEblake
3rd August 2004, 09:38 PM
We should be playing whatever format the comp is that CTH is running (if there is one). If its stableford its not appropriate that we play stroke, particularily of someone loses a ball and the subsequent delay.

Its not as if adding up all the scores at the end of the round is going to be complicated, theres only going to be 20 of us! I nominate G69 as the game day accountant cos he is getting good at computing larger numbers these days.

Speirsy11
3rd August 2004, 09:42 PM
Guess I could have looked at the forum a little closer before asking stupid questions :oops:

I'm in if I don't have any exams the next week......it looks promising right now, but I'll know more in 2 weeks.....Is there a spot for an import like me if I can make it? I might have to fly in Sat and fly out Sunday.....

Might need a spot to crash too :P anyone have a guest house? Prefrably one with several provocatively attired maids 8) ......

Still voting for best gross score as winner (either stroke or stab.) :lol:

Speirsy11

jaster
3rd August 2004, 09:57 PM
Speirsy, post in the other thread with your name and handicap. We would love to have you along mate 8) At this stage no-one has done anything with accomodation to my knowledge. If you like you can stay with me and the other Toowoomba guys? We will be probably looking at sharing a room on Sat night and maybe Sunday night!!! Should only be around $50 each per night this way. Just excect good aussie country hospitality (i.e. Flatualence, Snoring, Swearing and anything else that is offensive!!)

jaster
4th August 2004, 10:19 AM
All sounds great G69...refresh my memory though...what time is the hitoff for the first 18?

BrisVegas
4th August 2004, 10:30 AM
Thanks again for chasing this up for all of us golfer69. :)
It's a pain in the bum to organise 24 fussy golfers and an absent-minded tee-sheet lass. Keep up the good work mate! We all appreciate it. :wink:

Trung
4th August 2004, 11:05 AM
Just read your new slogan on top of your Avartar.. Mate, you need to get away from QLD fast :lol:

Jarro
4th August 2004, 11:19 AM
he loves it Trung :wink:

AndyP
5th August 2004, 09:12 AM
Why has the organisation of this event moved to this thread? I thought this thread was for discussing the format. :roll:

P.S. I like Trung's idea.

Jarro
5th August 2004, 02:10 PM
just go with the flow AndyP :roll:

Flowergirl
12th August 2004, 03:26 PM
I don't care what the format is or anything else cos I can't make it and I'm sulking........So there!!!!! :smt019

burger
12th August 2004, 03:28 PM
FG, luv ya style 8)

markTHEblake
12th August 2004, 08:29 PM
I don't care what the format is or anything else cos I can't make it and I'm sulking........So there!!!!! :smt019

thats a shame, with all this talk about getting fit, there is a rumour about a 6am nuddy run.

AndyP
13th August 2004, 07:37 AM
So have we reached a decision on this yet :?:
There are quite a few poll votes in.

Trung
31st August 2004, 04:44 PM
There are 25 names down but only 16 has voted :smt102

Jarro
2nd September 2004, 07:08 PM

.. and i voted twice :wink: :lol:

Onewood
2nd September 2004, 10:05 PM

Goes to show how many double personalities we have :wink: :D

Trung
26th October 2004, 07:03 AM
So have we reached a decision on this yet :?:
There are quite a few poll votes in.

You the boss mate. What should we do?

36 holes stableford? (highest total of stableford points for two rounds)
or
18 holes stableford + 18 holes stroke? (Ranking system as previously said)

AndyP
26th October 2004, 08:52 AM
You the boss mate. What should we do?
http://ozgolf.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9466&highlight=stableford+stroke#9466

http://ozgolf.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9700&highlight=stableford+stroke#9700

Most of the format discussion seems to follow on from these posts.
After trolling through the OZgolf Champs thread, I think we should have one stableford round, followed by one stroke round, without the ranking points system.

You don't like it? I'll give my reasons.

It would be good to keep the first round stableford to keep the higher handicappers in the contest (nullifying their blowouts), heading into the seeded round. However, they would be on their own in the second round, and if they can't get their game together after the first 18 holes, to play the stroke round, then that's bad luck. No assistance from the format second time round.
Also, I believe speed of play may be more important for the first round than the second. The second round is after a shotgun event, and the course will be empty when we start.

Although I initially voted for the points system, I think it is flawed, and I have changed my mind. I like the idea of building the pressure on the top seeded groups and having an exciting finish (bit more of a tournament feel for those in contention). If we are using a points ranking system (as per first link), you wouldn't know where you stand heading into the last hole, or standing over a possibly crucial putt. If it's stroke you may know that you are one stroke ahead or behind of someone else in your group heading into the last hole or something like that.

I propose we play the first round as a stableford (then convert it to a stroke score before starting the next round), and the second round stroke.

Now you may start your whinging.......

drunken
26th October 2004, 08:57 AM
I propose we play the first round as a stableford (then convert it to a stroke score before starting the next round), and the second round stroke.

Yep I'll second that. Stableford followed by stroke. Convert the Stableford score to a stroke just like Golflink.... :lol:

Trung
26th October 2004, 09:00 AM
I propose we play the first round as a stableford (then convert it to a stroke score before starting the next round), and the second round stroke. =D> :smt023 :D

markTHEblake
26th October 2004, 11:34 AM
why bother converting stableford to stroke?

Just two rounds of Stableford is fine.

In any case, i got the software and a tiny laptop we can use to load up all the scores, and it will work everything out. Gross, net, stableford, skins, matchplay - whatever !.

Andy,. suggestion, call a meeting online in the chatroom, a small group of intellectuals (or idiots) and nut out the toonament conditions. As we know an open forum gets nowhere.

damoocow
26th October 2004, 11:44 AM
What format are we playing in the Tweed comp [we are part of the comp down there in our 1st round aren't we ?] - if that is stableford then it would make sense to go stableford 1st - I like AP 's idea of stroke 2nd 18 also.
damoocow

Jono
28th October 2004, 08:37 PM
18 Stableford followed by 18 Stroke sounds good to me ...

Stroke play will test out our nerves ... leaves the door open for a Van de Velde finish ... :lol:

markTHEblake
31st October 2004, 08:08 PM
Next year I propose 9 holes at Carbrook pitch and putt.

Jarro
31st October 2004, 08:24 PM

i'll second that :wink:

AndyP
1st November 2004, 08:20 AM

i'll second that :wink:
:roll:

Maybe 36 holes over two days might be easier on your aging bodies.

Choppa
1st November 2004, 07:30 PM
Anyone would think we actually walked it :roll:

drunken
1st November 2004, 07:38 PM
I was keen to play another 9 :wink:

If you guys were tired it might have been all the balls you hit to warm up before both rounds :lol:

markTHEblake
1st November 2004, 09:14 PM
Earlier this year I played 42 holes in a day. The first 18 I walked. When i had finished I wanted to keep playing but it was getting dark, and i didnt feel tired at all.

The difference between yesterday was during those 42 holes i was playing great golf, OTOH had about 10 birdies.

I think it is the same for everyone else, that its easy to get tired when you are not playing good golf. Combined with a course that is difficult to play with no local knowledge, some tricky greens, and very tall trees all make it too easy to become disheartened, disinterested and tired.

Jarro
2nd November 2004, 04:57 AM
i think next time we should play 36 holes over 2 days. At least give yourself a chance to get something happening the next day ... if you have a shocker the first round that is :wink:

maybe somewhere in brisbane too 8)

andylo
2nd November 2004, 08:45 AM
i think next time we should play 36 holes over 2 days. At least give yourself a chance to get something happening the next day ... if you have a shocker the first round that is :wink:

maybe somewhere in brisbane too 8)

It a good idea, but I just worry that will make a lot more difficult to most of us here.... while some have shift works, others have families (although we can start up a tread on "How to shut our another half up)

Just express my thought :roll:

Trung
2nd November 2004, 08:48 AM
"How to shut our other half up)

Just express my thought :roll:

AndyLo.. You have no chance my friend.... You are gooooorne. Your missus got ya by the balls, and tight :lol:

AndyP
2nd November 2004, 09:01 AM
It a good idea, but I just worry that will make a lot more difficult to most of us here.... while some have shift works, others have families (although we can start up a tread on "How to shut our another half up)

If you can't get one weekend off to play golf, then you are in trouble, and you need to get back some "hand". :smt079

Iain
2nd November 2004, 09:06 AM

AndyLo, it's called seperation/divorce...... :wink: :roll:

markTHEblake
2nd November 2004, 09:28 AM
Just tell her that your goin and worry about facing the music when you return. Cos no matter how hard you work on getting permission its all forgotten by the time it happens - you gotta get the brownie points *afterwards*

andylo
2nd November 2004, 09:59 AM
:lol:

Com'on guys, it's not that bad really :wink:

In fact my girl will back to HK for good very soon. Next year even you guys make a 36 holes comp but 9 holes per day and I will still able to make it.

I am more concern on ppl like... hmm... I dunno... jarro? future nudgee? possiblely vegas or whatever...

Just thinking for the others, not me :wink:

Choppa
2nd November 2004, 12:19 PM
I am more concern on ppl like... hmm... I dunno... jarro? future nudgee? possiblely vegas or whatever...

6 months (or sooner) and Vegas is GOOOONE :wink:

BrisVegas
2nd November 2004, 12:38 PM

Can someone please translate for me... :? What's andylo concern on ppl about ?? :lol:

AndyP
2nd November 2004, 01:29 PM
Or is he? I'm doing fine, even though I've got the little dude on the left.
In fact, a 2.1 handicap reduction since his DOB. :wink:

Flowergirl
3rd November 2004, 07:11 AM
Maybe he thinks you guys are real old ) gee I hope he never gets to see me - I'll be put out to pasture!!)

markTHEblake
3rd November 2004, 09:43 AM
Can someone please translate for me... :? What's andylo concern on ppl about ?? :lol:

i beleive he is talking about the fact that once you start having kids your golf career is over. (and you thought it was over already)

Jarro
3rd November 2004, 09:50 AM
I am more concern on ppl like... hmm... I dunno... jarro?

thanks for the concern A-Lo, but i'm lucky that the missus doesn't run the show here, not like some other poor fellas i know :roll:

Mrs Jarro doesn't mind me shooting off playing golf whenever i like.... as long as i don't leave her in the lurch with the kids... something i'd never do anyway [-X

Some things are more important than golf. :smt023

Flowergirl
3rd November 2004, 01:51 PM
[quote="jarro
Some things are more important than golf. :smt023[/quote]

Yea...............what pray tell????

Jarro
3rd November 2004, 02:04 PM
[quote="jarro

Yea...............what pray tell????[/quote]

my kids :)

Flowergirl
3rd November 2004, 02:31 PM
[quote="jarro

my kids :)[/quote]

Correct answer there Jarro............when it's all said and done nothing else really matters does it. :wink:

Jarro
3rd November 2004, 02:34 PM
[quote="jarro

my kids :)

Correct answer there Jarro............when it's all said and done nothing else really matters does it. :wink:[/quote]

:D

AndyP
3rd November 2004, 02:47 PM
[/quote]Get your quoting right will you people. [quote] :roll:

Jono
3rd November 2004, 07:03 PM
Get your quoting right will you people.
:roll:

Another effort to catch up to Jarro? :lol:

2421 vs 2258. You're catching up mate. :wink:

Trung
17th October 2005, 07:37 PM
ok, time to bring this thread back to live. 8)

AndyP
17th October 2005, 07:50 PM
After trolling through the OZgolf Champs thread, I think we should have one stableford round, followed by one stroke round, without the ranking points system.

You don't like it? I'll give my reasons.

It would be good to keep the first round stableford to keep the higher handicappers in the contest (nullifying their blowouts), heading into the seeded round. However, they would be on their own in the second round, and if they can't get their game together after the first 18 holes, to play the stroke round, then that's bad luck. No assistance from the format second time round.
Also, I believe speed of play may be more important for the first round than the second. The second round is after a shotgun event, and the course will be empty when we start.

Although I initially voted for the points system, I think it is flawed, and I have changed my mind. I like the idea of building the pressure on the top seeded groups and having an exciting finish (bit more of a tournament feel for those in contention). If we are using a points ranking system (as per first link), you wouldn't know where you stand heading into the last hole, or standing over a possibly crucial putt. If it's stroke you may know that you are one stroke ahead or behind of someone else in your group heading into the last hole or something like that.

Now you may start your whinging.......
Got the nod too.

The only major change from last year is the number of players.

markTHEblake
17th October 2005, 08:03 PM
 I like the idea of building the pressure on the top seeded groups and having an exciting finish (bit more of a tournament feel for those in contention).

Wont happen,  some dill complained the lunch break was too long, so there is now the likelyhood of not enough time to rearrange groups to have the leaders together.

If we are using a points ranking system (as per first link), you wouldn't know where you stand heading into the last hole, or standing over a possibly crucial putt.

of course you would,    it wouldnt make an difference what comp you were playing,  a person would know (if they were interested).   and stableford is easier to track mentally than stroke, only takes a few seconds to add up a stableford scorecard (during a round). try that with stroke and allowing for handicap difference

Jono
28th October 2005, 01:46 PM
:idea: Just throwing this idea in ... :idea:

What about having a fourball bestball in conjunction? Say the first 18 holes only. The second 18 stays strictly singles. :?:

Trung
28th October 2005, 03:07 PM
My vote is for the same format as last year...

Stableford and then Stroke...... :D ..

ps... I don't mind 2x stroke rounds either.. :twisted:

AndyP
28th October 2005, 03:10 PM
My vote is for the same format as last year...

Stableford and then Stroke......  :D ..
I second that....again.

These are our Championships, we should be at each other's throats, not working together.

Jarro
28th October 2005, 03:45 PM
Stab then Stroke ...... same as last time :smt023

terryand
28th October 2005, 04:08 PM
How about we play mixed 4somes.

AP and Iain whos going to wear the skirt with you 2 :smt017

I've got the hair and am happy to be someones B!TCH for the day any takers :smt047

Terry.

Jarro
28th October 2005, 04:10 PM
you're one sick puppy Tex :smt078

Iain
28th October 2005, 04:18 PM
How about we play mixed 4somes.

AP and Iain whos going to wear the skirt with you 2 :smt017

I've got the hair and am happy to be someones B!TCH for the day any takers :smt047

Terry.

We'll decide down there...... :smt062 :smt057

You'll be the B!TCH??? Sure you will..... :? :shock: :shock:

terryand
28th October 2005, 04:19 PM
you're one sick puppy Tex  :smt078

Hey,you got me all wrong.I just want to hit of the red tees :smt026

But now you metioned it :-k

Terry.

Iain
28th October 2005, 04:34 PM
you're one sick puppy Tex :smt078

Hey,you got me all wrong.I just want to hit of the red tees :smt026

But now you metioned it :-k

Terry.

Who are you rooming with again?

Look out Jono and Jarro!!!!! :?

Eag's
28th October 2005, 05:19 PM
Umm...ok glad I came into this thread :smt017 8-[
I might get back to my beer :wink:

Trung
28th October 2005, 05:30 PM
I've got the hair and am happy to be someones B!TCH for the day any takers  :smt047

Terry.

Jono is sleeping in your room... :lol:

AndyP
28th October 2005, 06:27 PM
Be gentle with Jono, Tez, be gentle.

Jono
28th October 2005, 10:00 PM
:smt011

Bloody bunch of clowns ... Nurse, I need some OXYGEN ... NOW! :lol: