PDA

View Full Version : Which courses do not have a full length practice area?

gaetan
5th September 2016, 09:28 PM
Hi

I need to compile a list of Australian golf courses which do not have a full-length practice area (one that does not accommodate a full driver shot) and I'm hoping the collective knowledge here might be able to help me out.

Ideally, I just need course names and the approximate length of the practice area (either by distance or club that can be hit).

Thanks

Gaetan

wazamac
5th September 2016, 09:34 PM
Vines of Reynella - 150m but people still use driver and put the balls into the one of the dams

Dcanto
5th September 2016, 09:35 PM
Gordonvale Golf Club (www.gordonvalegolfclub.com.au). The length of its driving range is about 150 metres. Hit it longer than that and you're into the racetrack.

WBennett
5th September 2016, 09:59 PM
Hi

I need to compile a list of Australian golf courses which do not have a full-length practice area (one that does not accommodate a full driver shot) and I'm hoping the collective knowledge here might be able to help me out.

Ideally, I just need course names and the approximate length of the practice area (either by distance or club that can be hit).

Thanks

Gaetan

I would have said more clubs don't than do these days with the value of land in suburban areas. Using Canberra as an example, Belconnen and Yowani both sold their ranges for housing, and RMC, Fairburn, Queanbeyan and Capital don't have ranges as such - and Gold Creek, Murrumbidgee and Federal have discussed selling theirs for housing.

And there are what - 1000 courses in Australia?

Jazz18
5th September 2016, 10:26 PM
Like Capt Spud eluded to, surely it would be easier to compile a list of courses with a full length range. I would think it would be far shorter than those that do.

jimandr
5th September 2016, 10:42 PM
It might take a while to look at every course in Australia on Google Maps, but it could be done, and the tale would be told.

I just put my thinking cap on though, and I'm struggling to think of any course outside the tier 1's in NSW that has a full length range. Port Kembla and Penrith, maybe?

Ballina's range is about 130m, Byron Bay's wouldn't be more than 150.

Johnny Canuck
5th September 2016, 11:24 PM
WA Golf Club - Approx 180 m
Royal Perth - same
Nedlands - hitting nets only
Cottesloe - 200 ish
Seaview - hitting nets

Ashes
5th September 2016, 11:49 PM
WA Golf Club - Approx 180 mRoyal Perth - sameNedlands - hitting nets onlyCottesloe - 200 ishSeaview - hitting nets Isn't Mt Lolly short too?

simmsy
5th September 2016, 11:59 PM
You were on the short game range. That's about 100m
Their full range is good.

Gosnells - 210ish
Mandurah - 200?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadesy
6th September 2016, 12:09 AM
You were on the short game range. That's about 100m Their full range is good. Gosnells - 210ish Mandurah - 200? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandurah about 180... Or a delofted 6 iron...

Johnny Canuck
6th September 2016, 12:15 AM
You were on the short game range. That's about 100m
Their full range is good.

Gosnells - 210ish
Mandurah - 200?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How could I forget Gossies after that wonderful letter I got from the GM about hitting a driver off of a house with my own balls when I didn't realise it was a short range with flight restricted balls?

Daves
6th September 2016, 07:24 AM
Redland Bay - 150m for the standard area. But there is a small back tee area that pushes that out to about 175m.

gaetan
6th September 2016, 07:43 AM
You guys are great. I ask a question, go to bed, and wake up to a bunch of answers. Thanks.

Capt Spud, you're right about it being easier listing those courses with a full range but the more I look into it I think I need to further narrow the list to courses with an area no longer than 100 - 150m maximum. Even those that are shorter.

The reason is that we get asked to run events at courses with small practice areas but all too often the enquiring course actually has a reasonably long area (although not long enough for driver). At these longer lengths, the event is less effective and the experience is lousy - a waste of time for the course/us/the golfers.

Daves
6th September 2016, 07:53 AM
What about a course like Nudgee? It has a full length range, but it has a separate chipping/pitching range of around 100m?

BayBum
6th September 2016, 08:06 AM
Marri Park - 160ish

Dotty
6th September 2016, 08:52 AM
Avondale and Magenta Shores probably fit the bill, but you'll struggle to get the public on those courses.

Captain Nemo
6th September 2016, 09:25 AM
Shit mate, I think you should have gone the other way and asked what clubs have full driving ranges!
It's prob 80% of all courses nationwide?

Johnny Canuck
6th September 2016, 09:27 AM
Shit mate, I think you should have gone the other way and asked what clubs have full driving ranges!
It's prob 80% of all courses nationwide?

Probably the opposite in WA.

Jerrymoo
6th September 2016, 09:48 AM
Yep, Avondale & Magenta both max out ~160 metres.

Long Reef, too... looks ~140m tops.

3oneday
6th September 2016, 10:03 AM
Cumberland, NSW, about 100 metres max.
Fox Hills, NSW, unless you hit driver 160 I think.

goughy
6th September 2016, 10:36 AM
City Golf Club Toowoomba. I reckon it must only be around 130ish mtrs. And they recently built a dr range across the street and after about 1 week they banned guys from hitting any woods as it's not looking enough! Well, it's long enough for a short arse like me...

Scifisicko
6th September 2016, 12:28 PM
The Vic Sandbelt courses all have shortish ranges. Kingston Heath is the exception.

BrisWesty
6th September 2016, 08:33 PM
goughy, it's 200 to the nets at the far end, and using flight restricted balls.

gaetan
7th September 2016, 07:25 AM
Thanks for all the input, I sure appreciate your help so far.

I've been asked to consider holding BirdieBall demo/competitions at courses with small practice areas. The idea is to encourage players to think a bit differently in terms of how they practice/play/just have fun, and indeed, develop the idea of being able to hit golf shots in small spaces. The concept is to promote the idea of enjoying golf in unexpected places (park, oval, even backyard) and show how you can have a lot of different fun with golf. Perhaps with a real emphasis on juniors.

It's a pretty costly exercise and one that would only be offset by any product sales (which for a niche product like BirdieBall doesn't add up to a lot). So the info you guys are providing will go a long way to informing which courses/clubs might be suitable for this type of activity.

If we do at least trial the idea it will likely take place initially in NSW/ACT and if successful then spread further afield. So please don't hesitate to provide info on courses anywhere in Australia.

Thank you all again.

Gaetan

goughy
7th September 2016, 10:05 AM
goughy, it's 200 to the nets at the far end, and using flight restricted balls.
Yeah, I know. The on course range is the short one.

YonexMan
15th September 2016, 08:39 AM
Tamworth Golf Club, The length is around 150m at best. But the biggest problem there is that hitting from the practice area means that you are hitting over the top of the pitching/chipping green as well, which is right in front of the hitting area. The hitting area is raised up. But I refuse to use the chipping green when people are hitting off from the practice area. I don't know if anyone has been hit yet, but those that do go and hit off don't seem to care if someone is on the chipping green.

gaetan
16th September 2016, 03:56 PM
Wow YonexMan, sound like a recipe for disaster. It'll surely change as soon as someone gets hit (or near miss)?

Barnesy01
16th September 2016, 06:33 PM
Paradise Palms.
Driving net only. Has a chipping green that you could get out to 40m.

YonexMan
16th September 2016, 07:51 PM
Wow YonexMan, sound like a recipe for disaster. It'll surely change as soon as someone gets hit (or near miss)?

Well, the setup as it is, has been that way for many years.

Some of the golfers that warm up before their game just don't care. My son and I have been on the chipping green practicing and then we went to pick up the balls we had just hit.. Some golfers just turn up and start hitting balls over our heads. I've made polite comments about what they are doing and asked them to just move to the far side of the hitting area so that they are not hitting over the chipping green, and all any of them say is, "don't worry, I won't hit you, it's ok". Or something to that effect.

We've just walked off. Not worth the risk.

Blackhelmo
16th September 2016, 08:47 PM
Caboolture has a short area near 1st tee, 100 metres, range out the back is probably 180-200 meters depending where you tee it up.

Drivers aren't permitted, however, late afternoon people do crank them up on it