PDA

View Full Version : Non-conforming drivers

mike
26th May 2006, 02:18 PM
Here is the USGA list of non-conforming drivers.

http://www.usga.org/playing/clubs_and_balls/driver/non-conforming_driver_list.html

Is this really going to affect us in our little weekend comps ?

My driver is on the list.

Any other criminals out there like me using a driver that may lead to a jail term ?

AndyP
26th May 2006, 02:25 PM
Lucky you didn't win against Gaz, mike, because you'd be DQ'd now anyway.

As I mentioned in Ona's SMT DB455 thread, I made sure I had a conforming driver beyond 2008 before purchasing.

Jarro
26th May 2006, 02:27 PM
i can't see a problem with us weekend warriors using a club that;s only gonna give you an extra 5 or so meters off the tee :roll:

AndyP
26th May 2006, 02:28 PM
It's cheating. Where do you draw the line?

mike
26th May 2006, 02:32 PM
Lucky you didn't win against Gaz, mike, because you'd be DQ'd now anyway.

Nah, I lost on purpose.:-D

Courty
26th May 2006, 02:33 PM
My driver is on the list.

You better not use it when I come up there to play our Ozgolf NQ matchplay or you'll forfeit that match too. :twisted:

PeteyD
26th May 2006, 02:34 PM
Once they are non conforming it is cheating. Pity if you have purchased one.

mike
26th May 2006, 02:45 PM
You better not use it when I come up there to play our Ozgolf NQ matchplay or you'll forfeit that match too. :twisted:

They're not illegal yet.

Courty
26th May 2006, 02:46 PM
They're not illegal yet.

Effective May 22, 2006

Yes they are. ;)

mike
26th May 2006, 02:47 PM
I thought it was 2008 .

Courty
26th May 2006, 02:48 PM
Doesn't matter anyhow. We come under the R&A, not the USGA.

If your driver is on this list (http://www.randa.org/index.cfm?action=rules.equipment.nonconfdrivers) then it is illegal for play in Oztrayla.

mike
26th May 2006, 02:49 PM
Meaning...?

Jarro
26th May 2006, 02:50 PM
does this mean that before every club comp round now there'll be some old fart there testing whether or not you have an illegal driver in your bag ???

mike
26th May 2006, 02:51 PM
Seems that way Jarro.

The same guy will have to check that people are only smoking on the odd numbered holes.

AndyP
26th May 2006, 02:51 PM
does this mean that before every club comp round now there'll be some old fart there testing whether or not you have an illegal driver in your bag ???
No, it will be up to pricks in your group, like me, to dob you in.

Courty
26th May 2006, 02:52 PM
I thought it was 2008 .

For most competitions and all recreational play, there will be no Rule limiting the 'spring-like' effect of driving clubs until 1st January 2008. However, from 1st January 2006 until 31st December 2007, a Condition of Competition may be introduced requiring the player to use a driving club which is included on the List of Conforming Driver Heads and which, under specified test conditions, does not have a characteristic time greater than 257 microseconds.

According to the above, I guess it depends on the individual club.

mike
26th May 2006, 02:54 PM
There's nobody in Mareeba that even knows what a microsecond is...

I'm safe.

Courty
26th May 2006, 02:56 PM
It wouldn't be very ethical in your position to flagrantly abuse the rules.
I'll bring my COR testing gear when I come to play. :twisted:
Besides, being the manager, shouldn't you have some say whether this Condition of Competition is enforced.

Courty
26th May 2006, 02:58 PM
The same guy will have to check that people are only smoking on the odd numbered holes.

Being an asthmatic, I hate cigarette smoke and strongly support banning smoking indoors. But this new smoking on every 2nd hole thing is ridiculous. I play with smokers all the time and have no objections as we are outdoors. I very rarely even smell the smoke when we play.
One thing I do object to is dropping butts all over the place.

3oneday
26th May 2006, 02:58 PM
I believe trainee events now say you must comply, and if someone wanted to they could make it a condition of play (in any comp I guess) that the competitor uses a conforming club.

I would suspect a very high percentage of weekend warriors use a non conforming club. Lets face it, Callaway sold all their + equipment here ;)

Will it make 5 yards or metres of difference, to a pro maybe, to us, doubtful.

Courty
26th May 2006, 03:02 PM
Will it make 5 yards or metres of difference, to a pro maybe, to us, doubtful.

I have no doubt that non-conforming drivers will have no effect whatsoever to the average golfer. But "rules is rules", and if we ignore this one, we'll be tempted to bend or break other rules. It's for this reason that I believe it should be enforced where possible & practical.

Jarro
26th May 2006, 03:31 PM
No, it will be up to pricks in your group, like me, to dob you in.

fair enough. I'm safe though 'cos all the stuff is conforming.

.. but how are you gonna know if the guy playing alongside you in the Monthly Medal at Nambour doesn't have a non-conforming driver ??

too hard to police it in local comps i think..

AndyP
26th May 2006, 03:33 PM
too hard to police it in local comps i think..
I could keep the list in my bag, and a "Wow! That's a sweeeet driver! Can I have a look?", should be enough to give me a closer inspection.

Jarro
26th May 2006, 03:34 PM
.. and if he refuses to comply with you ????

AndyP
26th May 2006, 03:35 PM
How far do you want to take this hypothetical?

3oneday
26th May 2006, 03:44 PM
I have no doubt that non-conforming drivers will have no effect whatsoever to the average golfer. But "rules is rules", and if we ignore this one, we'll be tempted to bend or break other rules. It's for this reason that I believe it should be enforced where possible & practical.I agree, but really it is a weak attempt to limit how far the ball is flying, when they haven't yet targeted how the ball is made !!!!

Obviously it's just political, I recall they tried to limit the development of a driver, and the only way was this far off date to limit COR. Still not enough nuggets to take on the ball manufacturers.

Pete

connico
26th May 2006, 03:48 PM
.. and if he refuses to comply with you ????

take him by surprise?

goughy
26th May 2006, 04:00 PM
take him by surprise?

And use his own driver when you take him by surprise. That way it'll be too damaged to use.

Iain
26th May 2006, 05:23 PM
I agree, but really it is a weak attempt to limit how far the ball is flying, when they haven't yet targeted how the ball is made !!!!

Obviously it's just political, I recall they tried to limit the development of a driver, and the only way was this far off date to limit COR. Still not enough nuggets to take on the ball manufacturers.

Pete

That's what they need to do, but all the ball manufacturers would sue the R&A or USGA. They need a tour ball, or a couple versions, maybe a high spin version and a low spin version.

Best bet of it happening I think would be Augusta introducing a "Master's ball", as they make there own rules and don't care what anyone else does. That way it may kick the USGA/R&A into action.....

Like the threat of banning belly putter's not long ago, players and manufacturer's would sue. But it's getting too late to ban/introduce them, because players have been using them for a long time now.

Iain

markTHEblake
26th May 2006, 07:48 PM
According to the above, I guess it depends on the individual club.

i doubt whether any club will care. The only events i have seen whereby this condition is imposed are the ones where they also impose the same ball rule - Like the Qld Amateur.

Otherwise dont worry about it.