PDA

View Full Version : large step backwards.

wavemaker
2nd August 2004, 03:29 PM
after last weeks encouraging results i went to gordonvale with a song in my heart today. made some really great putts on the practice green, i mean really good ones and when old mate turned up i was ready to rock and roll. THEN he didnt want to hit some warm up holes and we just teed off and the song turned to the sound of breaking glass. i hit all over the joint and thought i would come good once i warmed up a bit. didnt happen. only 1 par and i wont bore you with the rest. another lesson punched into me by the course. you got to warm up sony jim, or expect a kick in the arse.

McMw
2nd August 2004, 06:13 PM
wat abt the other guy....did he play worse considering he didn't even have a putt prior???

Courty
2nd August 2004, 08:29 PM
you got to warm up sony jim, or expect a kick in the bum.

absolutely right. I used to show up, have a few putts and stand on the first tee with no idea were the first shot might go.
Nowadays, I get there a bit earlier hit 30 ulls swings with a 9 iron to get the swing going, then do some chipping and bunker shots to get some 'feel' then about 10 minutes of putting. Lots of short ones to get the stroke right, and some long ones to get a feel for the pace.
Since I have started this routine, I now stand on the first tee with gretaer confidence in making a solid start to the round.

Trung
2nd August 2004, 09:36 PM
usually 20 mins for me...

5x shots with 5-iron
5x shots with RM 3
5x shots with driver

then

6x bump and run

the rest of the time is for my putter.

Ona
2nd August 2004, 11:05 PM
horses for courses i guess.

My ideal start would be to rock up walk into the pro shop grab my card step on the tee say my g'days to the group and the hit off. I was a member of a small club on a public track and there was no arrive 30 minutes b4 hit-off rule. Then again i never tried the whole warm up theory, so maybe i was truly a scratch golfer but never knew it :roll:

wavemaker
3rd August 2004, 05:51 AM
my partner is a bloke in his late 60s early 70s and he plays a mean game.he went round in 100 and had a bit of an off day. when i played with him last week he would have hit low 90s.

Ona
3rd August 2004, 05:33 PM
I didnt know we had anyone who flew that way on this site mate.. good for you :wink: