PDA

View Full Version : EBay can get Fu##ed

Anfield
25th August 2016, 12:46 PM
After some time of not using ebay mainly in protest to their exorbitant fees and ridiculous guidelines
I made the mistake of thinking ah well they're not that bad.....sell your driver with them. ..everything will be fine.
So, i listed it, got plenty of watchers and a few bids, and in the end i sold it for pretty much what i thought it was worth.
Then the problems started. ... postage from me to him at wagga was $19+ ebay told him to only pay $14 so I'm out of pocket there. Then they'll take their commission of the total sale? Ripoff again
Now the icing on the cake is they've made my funds from the seller as pending for up to 21 days as I'm an infrequent seller with them albeit with perfect feedback over 15 years
I'm done with them and as soon as i get my money released I'll be deactivating my account
Well that's my rant and thanks for taking the time

3Puttpete
25th August 2016, 01:02 PM
Isn't it you that sets the postage cost?

As soon as he marks it received, ring PayPal and they'll release the money.

meh
25th August 2016, 02:32 PM
eBay is my absolute last resort.

mrbluu
25th August 2016, 02:46 PM
After some time of not using ebay mainly in protest to their exorbitant fees and ridiculous guidelines
I made the mistake of thinking ah well they're not that bad.....sell your driver with them. ..everything will be fine.
So, i listed it, got plenty of watchers and a few bids, and in the end i sold it for pretty much what i thought it was worth.
Then the problems started. ... postage from me to him at wagga was $19+ ebay told him to only pay $14 so I'm out of pocket there. Then they'll take their commission of the total sale? Ripoff again
Now the icing on the cake is they've made my funds from the seller as pending for up to 21 days as I'm an infrequent seller with them albeit with perfect feedback over 15 years
I'm done with them and as soon as i get my money released I'll be deactivating my account
Well that's my rant and thanks for taking the time

I only use eBay to buy stuff, to sell I use Gumtree or Facebook.

benno_r
25th August 2016, 03:13 PM
I use ebay all the time. Get better results there over anywhere.

When you list you have the option for ebay to calculate (setting your own box size), a fixed price or postage included.

meh
25th August 2016, 03:17 PM
Maybe you get a good deal with all your buying and selling :)

JADO75
25th August 2016, 03:20 PM
It won't be up till 21 days, it will be 21 days unfortunately. I don't put stuff on eBay for the same reason. Even if the the buyer gas marked as received you won't get your $$ for three weeks.

BenM
25th August 2016, 04:11 PM
All you need is enough transactions and you get that limit removed, I've finally just got my account to the point where I can get funds straight away.

dazza99
25th August 2016, 05:00 PM
Agree about the fees. I only use eBay as a last resort. You do have more chance of making a sale, but you have to add 20% to the price you are after just to clear.
And I never do an auction. Only ever set price or best offer.
I also only use set postage cost. Ebay calculator is naff.

Btw - separate rant about Gumtree - has anyone here ever had an "offer" on there that has ended with a sale?

I've had heaps of offers (where someone hits that offer button "hi, I'd like to offer $100"etc) and not one of them has come to fruition. You can only accept or decline with their set american spiel "ok. lets discuss payment and collection options". **** RIGHT OFF!!

Only sales I've made are when someone goes to the trouble of writing their own message or actually texting/calling. Still 100x better than ebay though.

Grumpy8
25th August 2016, 05:31 PM
I have been waiting two weeks for a guy to send something I bid on ebay, seems very reluctant to send it , but apart from that all my other transactions have been good . I only buy dont sell on ebay tho

Daves
25th August 2016, 05:34 PM
Btw - separate rant about Gumtree - has anyone here ever had an "offer" on there that has ended with a sale?

I've had heaps of offers (where someone hits that offer button "hi, I'd like to offer $100"etc) and not one of them has come to fruition. You can only accept or decline with their set american spiel "ok. lets discuss payment and collection options". **** RIGHT OFF!!

Only sales I've made are when someone goes to the trouble of writing their own message or actually texting/calling. Still 100x better than ebay though.

Funny you should ask, I had one (an offer) this week and he picked up the item yesterday. You can add comments when you decline, I declined his initial offer and included a counter offer.

Jazz18
25th August 2016, 06:57 PM
It won't be up till 21 days, it will be 21 days unfortunately. I don't put stuff on eBay for the same reason. Even if the the buyer gas marked as received you won't get your $$ for three weeks.

Is that a new thing on eBay? I haven't sold on there for a while but there was none of that malarkey when I sold last time.

markTHEblake
25th August 2016, 08:12 PM
Then the problems started. ... postage from me to him at wagga was $19+ ebay told him to only pay $14 so I'm out of pocket there
You must have configured that package size wrong when you set it up.
For a start you cant even define a box big enough to take a driver, the aust post calculator will reject it.

D22marshall
26th August 2016, 09:31 AM
I always do a price with best offer and always try and do the deal offline works for buyer and seller.
ebay you get a lot wider audience, and less stupid low balls

solarbear
26th August 2016, 12:30 PM
The 10% they take is a bit much. Pity there is not some reasonable competition.

braddles
28th August 2016, 03:05 PM
I sold a Lajosi putter to someone in Perth last year. The buyer complained it wasn't the same as in the photos and wanted their money back. Apparently even some of the paint fill had mysteriously fallen out in the post - I have never seen or heard that happen before. I would have accepted a return if it wasn't for that - I didn't know what else they had done to it.

eBay were going to rule in their favour and held the cash in my paypal account. The buyer said she was an expert on clubs and that putters shouldn't rust (it was a carbon putter). I told her to look at Jordan Spieth's putter...she said who was Jordan Spieth!

At one stage it looked like I would have to refund the money and they would keep the putter. You have to be careful on eBay, especially if you are the seller!

Jazz18
28th August 2016, 11:09 PM
Can you sell on eBay these days without PayPal? Surely that's the answer. Really sounds like it's not worth it anymore.

dazza99
29th August 2016, 08:09 AM
Can you sell on eBay these days without PayPal? Surely that's the answer. Really sounds like it's not worth it anymore.

No, you have to accept Paypal.

I once put in an advert "pick up and cash payment only. No paypal".

They removed the advert and sent a nice terse message saying that's against the rules.

I think if you write "cash only" their software probably won't pick it up. But then if someone just buys and pays by Paypal that's it.

Agree with the sentiment about buying through ebay and not selling. It is my very last resort for selling. Well, just before this place and it's lowballs :)

edit > scrub that. Gumtree is by far the worst for lowballs (although tbf I've done that myself as well ;) ). At least you can just ignore them on gummy.

3Puttpete
29th August 2016, 08:19 AM
When did they remove the pay on pick up option?

3oneday
29th August 2016, 08:22 AM
I think it is still an option, just not their preferred one.

Daves
29th August 2016, 08:24 AM
No, you have to accept Paypal.

I once put in an advert "pick up and cash payment only. No paypal".

They removed the advert and sent a nice terse message saying that's against the rules.

I think if you write "cash only" their software probably won't pick it up. But then if someone just buys and pays by Paypal that's it.

Agree with the sentiment about buying through ebay and not selling. It is my very last resort for selling. Well, just before this place and it's lowballs :)

edit > scrub that. Gumtree is by far the worst for lowballs (although tbf I've done that myself as well ;) ). At least you can just ignore them on gummy.

You have to offer Paypal as an option, but it doesn't have to be your preferred option.

dazza99
29th August 2016, 10:02 AM
Yeah, all correct about the Paypal.
You can say you prefer cash. But you have to offer Paypal option as well. So if you sell something, the buyer has the option to pay via paypal even if you say "cash on pick-up".

Would be a bit "frosty" I'd imagine if you said cash only and someone still paid via paypal then came round to pick up :)

cratcliffe
29th August 2016, 01:25 PM
Yeah, all correct about the Paypal.
You can say you prefer cash. But you have to offer Paypal option as well. So if you sell something, the buyer has the option to pay via paypal even if you say "cash on pick-up".

Would be a bit "frosty" I'd imagine if you said cash only and someone still paid via paypal then came round to pick up :)
I have had someone pay with paypal, then realise item location. They then asked to pick up and I was very happy to do so, but after refunding (in cash) postage costs less fees that ebay and paypal charged the guy got very unhappy with me. I explained to him how ebay and paypal worked and he was very understanding.

YonexMan
31st August 2016, 10:29 AM
Ebay is my last resort.. I post everything on Gumtree first. The only hassle with Gumtree is that I seem to get low ball offers all the time on whatever I put up there. Not just golf gear. I tried to sell a very expensive Canon L-Series professional lens on Gumtree that, brand new was worth several thousand dollars. I had a guy phone me up and offer me $500 for it! Told him no, that it was worth several thousand - even second hand and his comment was "well, can't you do me a favour and sell it to me cheap?, I'm a pensioner".. Answer - No, don't waste my time. I ended up selling it later for just over 2k, which is what it was worth. But yeah, ebay and paypal fees are just pathetic and you can't send a driver by Auspost as it is longer than their 105cm limit, which is painful too.

dazza99
31st August 2016, 12:28 PM
Ebay is my last resort.. I post everything on Gumtree first. The only hassle with Gumtree is that I seem to get low ball offers all the time on whatever I put up there. Not just golf gear. I tried to sell a very expensive Canon L-Series professional lens on Gumtree that, brand new was worth several thousand dollars. I had a guy phone me up and offer me $500 for it! Told him no, that it was worth several thousand - even second hand and his comment was "well, can't you do me a favour and sell it to me cheap?, I'm a pensioner".. Answer - No, don't waste my time. I ended up selling it later for just over 2k, which is what it was worth. But yeah, ebay and paypal fees are just pathetic and you can't send a driver by Auspost as it is longer than their 105cm limit, which is painful too.

Don't get me started about Aus Post.

Tasmania to QLD via courier - 3 days.

Tasmania to Qld via Aus Post - Nearly 2 weeks and dearer!! Go figure...

This may have been a one-off, but I don't think so.

cratcliffe
31st August 2016, 01:23 PM
Don't get me started about Aus Post.

Tasmania to QLD via courier - 3 days.

Tasmania to Qld via Aus Post - Nearly 2 weeks and dearer!! Go figure...

This may have been a one-off, but I don't think so.
Auspost getting worse. Had parcel sent from Ballarat to me (Warrnambool) less than 200km by car. The parcel went from Ballarat to Dandenong to Warrnamboll (I checked the tracking online) and took 4 working days!

3oneday
31st August 2016, 01:54 PM
Faster from the USA to get some stuff. 3 days from a Sydney suburb to Sydney CBD is hard to fathom.

Johnny Canuck
31st August 2016, 01:58 PM
Losses of $222mil last year suggest that services are going to be cut, taking longer, as opposed to things getting better.

Jazz18
31st August 2016, 01:59 PM
Yep, too many good courier options out there to go to the post office anymore. Doesn't help that the owner of my local LPO is a complete and utter witch. Would only use Australia post if I was desperate these days.

Kaniss
3rd September 2016, 09:16 AM
Ontop of that paypal who is owned by ebay will take a other cut. I dont use them any more, their fees are extreamly high.

JADO75
3rd September 2016, 09:20 AM
I don't think PayPal & eBay are connected anymore?

Daves
3rd September 2016, 09:20 AM
Ontop of that paypal who is owned by ebay will take a other cut. I dont use them any more, their fees are extreamly high.

Paypal is now a separate company.

dazza99
3rd September 2016, 09:50 AM
I don't mind using Paypal. It has some good uses for protection either way.Especially for shipped items.

But, I DO object to being forced to accept Paypal. Should at least be allowed to specify cash only for pick-up sales surely. It's just a money-grab on their part.

3Puttpete
3rd September 2016, 11:45 AM
I don't think PayPal & eBay are connected anymore?

Independent companies but not entirely separate

Bitter
12th October 2016, 09:34 PM
My latest on eBay is a non payer for the Mizuno MP H4 I sold. Don't really care about the non payment as I will just hang onto it but technically I can't do anything with it for a month as that is how long eBay give the seller to respond!

dowdsy
12th October 2016, 09:47 PM
My latest on eBay is a non payer for the Mizuno MP H4 I sold. Don't really care about the non payment as I will just hang onto it but technically I can't do anything with it for a month as that is how long eBay give the seller to respond!
That's bull shit, you should be able to charge a late fee just like your power bill or council rates.

Bitter
12th October 2016, 09:56 PM
That's bull shit, you should be able to charge a late fee just like your power bill or council rates.

Yeah I will most likely wait a month for them to say they couldn't contact the buyer and I am free to relist it.

3oneday
12th October 2016, 10:51 PM
It's 7 days?

Bitter
13th October 2016, 04:58 AM
It's 7 days?

I stand corrected, I misread the email where it stated 36 days. Upon reading further if they do not pay within 4 days of me opening a case then I can close it then. Glad I checked, thanks :mrgreen: