PDA

View Full Version : Woodford Pro-am 18/5/04 Tuesday.

CobraSS
4th May 2004, 09:32 PM
Just starting the thread here as everybody concerned seems to be here these days rather than ISG.

So current starters are
onewood
jarro
nudgee
jono
nudgee's mate Pat
and myself

midday shotgun start, if anyone who hasn't seen this topic before is interested in playing on this day at Woodford, reply in here or pm me.

Will be a good day, the course is currently as good as it gets.

Comp fee is $20. play in group of 4, 1 pro, and three wannabes :lol:

Onewood
5th May 2004, 06:12 AM
I'm in :wink: This feels strange :roll: putting my name on the time sheet twice :D :wink:

Jarro
5th May 2004, 12:34 PM
I'm in too 8)

looking forward to a hitout at Woodford :D

nudgee
5th May 2004, 01:55 PM
I have a mate who wants to play -

Name Pat Gulline - Hcap is 9

Thanks

Jamie

andylo
5th May 2004, 02:22 PM
So jealous you guy have such good chance to play with a pro :)

CobraSS
5th May 2004, 07:33 PM
I have a mate who wants to play -

Name Pat Gulline - Hcap is 9

Thanks

Jamie

Ok added.

Jono
8th May 2004, 12:32 AM
I'm definitely in. Look forward to meeting you guys there. :D

I'm going to drive up from Lismore to Gold Coast on Saturday 15th with some non-golfing friends. They'll drive back to Lismore on Sunday but I'll stay around the Gold Coast/Brisbane area until the Woodford game on Tuesday. Can anyone suggest some good courses I can play (on Sunday and Monday)? Something under $50 would be good. Preferably in a comp (open day). Thanks.

markTHEblake
8th May 2004, 09:30 AM
Northern end of Gold Coast <$50
Gold Coast Country Club- Helensvale
Emerald Lakes - Carrara
Windaroo - Beenleigh

CobraSS
8th May 2004, 10:25 PM
Surface Paradise is also a good track to play cost me about $35 to play in a comp there about this time last year.

Jono
9th May 2004, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys. Emerald Lakes looks really good. Haven't tried night golf yet, so I might give that a go. Looking forward to the Proam on Tuesday ... I hope I can play good golf. Played yesterday for the first time in 3 weeks and had a shocker ... #-o

Jarro
9th May 2004, 06:53 PM
really sorry guys but i'm gonna have to bail on the Woodford game :(

CobraSS
9th May 2004, 10:17 PM
:(

markTHEblake
11th May 2004, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys. Emerald Lakes looks really good. Haven't tried night golf yet, so I might give that a go.

Night golf at this time of year is OK. just Trust me and dont forget to bring a ball warmer.

Onewood
13th May 2004, 08:33 PM
Just starting the thread here as everybody concerned seems to be here these days rather than the "other" golf forum.

So current starters are
onewood
jarro
nudgee
jono
nudgee's mate Pat
and myself

midday shotgun start, if anyone who hasn't seen this topic before is interested in playing on this day at Woodford, reply in here or pm me.

Still keen for this one 8)

CobraSS
13th May 2004, 08:58 PM
Just starting the thread here as everybody concerned seems to be here these days rather than the "other" golf forum.

So current starters are
onewood
jarro
nudgee
jono
nudgee's mate Pat
and myself

Still keen for this one 8)

Thats good I was starting to run out of liquid paper.

Onewood
14th May 2004, 08:51 PM
How far is Woodford from the south of Brisbane (Rochedale)

anyone looking for a lift....

Jono
14th May 2004, 11:18 PM
Can anyone tell me how to get to the golf course? I've got a small map of Brisbane which extends out to Nambour. It's not really detailed. It tells me that I need to take the Bruce Hwy out of Bris then get onto D'Aguilar Hwy to get to Woodford. Is the golf course near the highway?

BTW, I just checked with my home club in Sydney, and my handicap has blown out to 9.6 ... :oops:

AndyP
15th May 2004, 12:07 AM
Jono, I think you turn right at the Woodford Pub. There should be a sign there.

Jono
15th May 2004, 07:29 AM
Thanks, Andy. I'll watch out for the pub. :D

Jarro
15th May 2004, 10:50 AM
hang a right at the pub, then head down about 1km and hang a left .... i think it's the last street on the left :?

if you head down the road you'll see the course anyway 8)

have fun you buggers :(

CobraSS
16th May 2004, 11:29 AM
How far is Woodford from the south of Brisbane (Rochedale)

anyone looking for a lift....

give yourself and hour and a half travelling time and you should get here on time.

General directions, head north out of Brisbane on Bruce H'wy and take the Caboolture exit (just after the Caboolture River bridge on the H'wy) just before the Birbie Island exit, then go through caboolture follow signs to Woodford.

Once in Woodford you need to turn right at the pub in the main street and proceed down this road and take the second left (golfcourse Rd) then follow it up to the top of the hill to the golf course entrance and battle for a parking spot.

markTHEblake
16th May 2004, 12:54 PM
Can anyone tell me how to get to the golf course?

www.whereis.com.au will never fail you! :-)
here are the directions from the Brisbane City GPO

WRITTEN DIRECTIONS DISTANCE EST. TIME
Start at RAMP, BRISBANE
64 m 1 Min

Turn left at ROMA ST, BRISBANE
91 m 1 Min

Turn right at TURBOT ST, BRISBANE
1.21 km 1 Min

Continue along WICKHAM ST, FORTITUDE VALLEY
269 m 1 Min

Turn left at GIPPS ST, FORTITUDE VALLEY
128 m 1 Min

Continue along BARRY PDE, FORTITUDE VALLEY
247 m 1 Min

Continue along BRUNSWICK ST, FORTITUDE VALLEY
444 m 1 Min

Turn left at BOWEN BRIDGE RD, FORTITUDE VALLEY
1.14 km 1 Min

Continue along LUTWYCHE RD, WINDSOR
3.16 km 3 Mins

Continue along GYMPIE RD, KEDRON
10.20 km 12 Mins

Continue along GYMPIE ARTERIAL RD, BALD HILLS
4.66 km 5 Mins

Continue along BRUCE HWY, MURRUMBA DOWNS
23.62 km 28 Mins

Continue along RAMP > LOWER KING ST, CABOOLTURE
2.66 km 3 Mins

Continue along KING ST, CABOOLTURE
2.28 km 3 Mins

Continue along D'AGUILAR HWY, CABOOLTURE
16.25 km 23 Mins

Continue along WOOD ST, BRACALBA
1.89 km 2 Mins

Continue along ARCHER ST, D'AGUILAR
4.15 km 6 Mins

Turn right at ELIZABETH ST, WOODFORD
214 m 1 Min

Turn left at CORONATION AV, WOODFORD
146 m 1 Min

Turn right at GEORGE ST, WOODFORD
636 m 1 Min

Turn left at GOLF COURSE RD, WOODFORD
68 m 1 Min

Finish GOLF COURSE RD, WOODFORD
73.53 km 1 Hr 38 Mins

Onewood
18th May 2004, 08:19 PM
Great day had by all 8)

we all started on 18. I went par, eagle :D you ripper :P four putt double on the next :cry: :cry: held it together for 38 - 40 = 78 -7 nett 71

Played the 4 par fives 4 under :D bird on 9 to go with 3 doubles and a few bogey's,

Very up and down day :? :D

I played with CobraSS and 2 pro's (pays to play with the club captain :D )
Andew start double, double then had 2 over for the next 16 holes to shoot 40 - 38 = 78 -10 nett 68 awesome come back.

didn't get to have a hit of the mighty r7 :cry: Nudgee said he did'nt wont me to cave the face in whilst it was so new :D

The 2 pro's shot 69 and 66 8)

The weather was perfect
The course was perfect
The company was perfect

Jarro
18th May 2004, 08:25 PM
good work Kev 8)

what hole did you start on :?: and what hole did you eagle :?:

Onewood
18th May 2004, 08:34 PM
good work Kev 8)

what hole did you start on :?: and what hole did you eagle :?:

:D as above :D

We started on 18 and I went par, eagle so that would make it the first on the card :wink: :lol: :lol:

Hit MY 3 wood on three holes and creamed it :D

Jarro
18th May 2004, 08:37 PM
so my baby was working for you then hey :wink:

Onewood
18th May 2004, 08:48 PM

What do they say :? possession is 9-10th's of the law :lol: :lol:

best Ive hit a 3 wood in awhile 8)

Jarro
18th May 2004, 08:50 PM
8)

jaster
18th May 2004, 09:03 PM
Well played to the 2 ozgolf boys!!! :) Any trophies come back?

jaster
18th May 2004, 09:03 PM

I know someone else who has dibs on that 3 wood first 8) :wink:

Jarro
18th May 2004, 09:06 PM

I know someone else who has dibs on that 3 wood first 8) :wink:

no-ones gettin' my 3 wood :wink:

jaster
18th May 2004, 09:08 PM
Thought you wanted the RM TP 14°?

Jarro
18th May 2004, 10:00 PM
Thought you wanted the RM TP 14°?

i do, but i think i'll stick with the 200 for a while. :wink:

markTHEblake
18th May 2004, 10:22 PM
Onewood, who was the 2 Pro's you played with?

You are also obligated to describe with discrete detail each shot on the first hole.

nudgee
19th May 2004, 07:20 AM
CobraSS - I have to say that Woodford Golf Course is an absolute gem!!!! with all due respect I was not expecting a lot and was blown away at how good the course was.

My group did not do too well - the pro shot 70 - although he did well to recuperate from a couple of incidents - one on the first hole were my f#$%ing mobile phone rang on the putting green - luckily enough he had finished his stroke when it rang (I thought I had turned it off). I have never moved so quick in my life - dived into the bag and nearly ripped my phone in half trying to turn it off!!! Then on the next hole we played (1st hole on the course- par 5) - he is about to putt for a birdie and half way through his stroke a ball lands in between the four off us - he off course shank/push the putt way to the right and he went right off!!!! To his credit he almost got over it by the time we walked to the next tee and got on with the job.

For the record I shot 88 which was a major dissapointment as I had shot 80 at Beerwah early in the day including an 8 on the first hole (boy it was cold!!!) and then a 7 on the second hole. I could do no wrong with the driver, irons or putter on the next 16 holes. Unfortunately it was probably not a good idea to play two games on the day and I was stiff and nervous as all hell for the first 4 holes (shot 8 over) as I had such high expectations.

Nevertheless the day, the course and the company was great.

jaster
19th May 2004, 07:25 AM
2 rounds in one day!!!! :shock: You are an ironman :P

What par was woodford? Was it hard? easy?

CobraSS
19th May 2004, 01:38 PM
2 rounds in one day!!!! :shock: You are an ironman :P

What par was woodford? Was it hard? easy?

Woodford is par 72 but all the par 5's are reachable, even by me when I hit a good tee shot, CCR in our comp's is generally 69. Green's are magic at the moment and quick. The course can be pretty tough around Champ's time which we have in Late August, as it generally cold very windy and we can get some wet days as well, and the greens are usually very hard and quick that time of year.

(MTB) The two pro's in our group was Scott Gillespie (69) from Toowoomba and Eddie Barr (66) from Carbrook.

Great day had by all and some good golf too boot.

CobraSS
19th May 2004, 01:44 PM
Well played to the 2 ozgolf boys!!! :) Any trophies come back?

Onewood and nudgee both won 1 approach each, other than that no major trophies.

markTHEblake
19th May 2004, 04:52 PM
Woodford is par 72 but all the par 5's are reachable,

How long is the 1st?

I last played there in 83, and the only hole i can remember is the 1st. Hit a 6 iron to 6 foot directly above the hole and proceeded to putt the ball off the front of the green. Then holed the next shot for a 4. Wasnt sure whether to record that as a GIR or not ?

If i remember right everyone else was hitting between 8iron and Wedge to the 1st that day, had a little breeze behind us. - I was a powder puff back then and still am :-)

CobraSS
19th May 2004, 05:24 PM

How long is the 1st?

I last played there in 83, and the only hole i can remember is the 1st. Hit a 6 iron to 6 foot directly above the hole and proceeded to putt the ball off the front of the green. Then holed the next shot for a 4. Wasnt sure whether to record that as a GIR or not ?

If i remember right everyone else was hitting between 8iron and Wedge to the 1st that day, had a little breeze behind us. - I was a powder puff back then and still am :-)

The first is 440m par 5, not long but you can't go at the green if you are on the wrong side of the fairway, and there is water to the right of the green.

jaster
19th May 2004, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the info, very sorry that I missed the day :(

An off topic question.....how does the Voodoo play?

CobraSS
19th May 2004, 05:38 PM

Very happy with it at the moment, haven't really used the 2-balls or other similar putters so can't really make a comparison. But it is nicely balanced and puts a good roll on the ball when you make a good stroke. :)

CobraSS
19th May 2004, 05:43 PM

The course has changed alot since 83 however, all the greens were redesigned and rebuilt about 9yrs ago, so they are not the small couch greens now that you would have played on back in 83, all large nicely contoured 328 greens now.

jaster
19th May 2004, 05:44 PM

Very happy with it at the moment, haven't really used the 2-balls or other similar putters so can't really make a comparison. But it is nicely balanced and puts a good roll on the ball when you make a good stroke. :)

They sure look interesting.....:)

goughy
19th May 2004, 07:47 PM
Scott Gillespie was the trainee at city gc. He works at golfworld in toowoomba now.

jaster
19th May 2004, 08:08 PM
Scott Gillespie was the trainee at city gc. He works at golfworld in toowoomba now.

We have already discussed this in the Chat last night :P

goughy
19th May 2004, 08:32 PM
So I'm behind the times :oops:

jaster
19th May 2004, 08:37 PM
So I'm behind the times :oops: :twisted: :P

CobraSS
19th May 2004, 08:55 PM

Yep thats right, thats what he told us, when we asked him. 8)

Onewood
19th May 2004, 09:59 PM
I was a bit dissapointed in Jono...he would'nt let me call into the 8th at Caboolture on the way through, so I could show him where THE yes THE ball landed before going into the HOLE IN ONE :lol:

And to bloody dark on the way back :wink: :D

Jono
20th May 2004, 04:54 AM
Just wanted to say couple of quick thank you's to CobraSS for inviting us up to Woodford, to Onewood for giving me a lift on his ute, and to Nudgee and his mate for the game ... Hey, that almost sounded like the winner's speech. :lol:

It was a great day ... Our pro joked that the wind speed was -1 knot. Like Nudgee, I was impressed with Woodford. Greens were quick but fair. Nice open layout, but you have to put the tee shots in the right places (like the first hole). Unfortunately, my game was not up to scratch, and I was just concentrating on putting the ball on the fairway. Can't remember which hole, but I hit one solid drive all day, which hit a power line and dropped straight down. Had to reload and proceeded to put it in a hazard ... :(

I was a bit dissapointed in Jono...he would'nt let me call into the 8th at Caboolture on the way through, so I could show him where THE yes THE ball landed before going into the HOLE IN ONE :lol:

And to bloody dark on the way back :wink: :D

C'mon Onewood. We were pressing to make the tee time ... :) Anyway, your verbal description was enough for me to visualize the shot. Let's run it in slow motion ... Perfectly struck (6 iron?) with the ball compressing onto the clubface creating pure backspin ... the ball flying true in the air, starting low and climbing up and up ... Onewood calling out "Geeeht iiin the hhhoooleee" (slow motion voice over) ... the ball landing meter and a half past the hole on a back to front sloping green clearly visible from an elevated tee ... and then sucking back into the hole. How's that Onewood? An accurate account? Hmmm ... I can hear Blakey yelling out in the background, "Why the f... are still talking about ..." :wink: BTW, your backyard is an inspiration to all golfers. :)

AndyP
20th May 2004, 05:07 AM
You obviously weren't listening Jono. It was an 8 iron. :lol:

goughy
20th May 2004, 05:30 AM
Jeeze I'm so over this hole in one. Haven't we heard enough about it already. Give it a rest guys......

(can you tell I've NEVER had a hole in one before :-({|= Could I just be jealous :wink: ) :D

Onewood
20th May 2004, 05:48 PM
C'mon Onewood. We were pressing to make the tee time ... :) Anyway, your verbal description was enough for me to visualize the shot. Let's run it in slow motion ... Perfectly struck (6 iron?) with the ball compressing onto the clubface creating pure backspin ... the ball flying true in the air, starting low and climbing up and up ... Onewood calling out "Geeeht iiin the hhhoooleee" (slow motion voice over) ... the ball landing meter and a half past the hole on a back to front sloping green clearly visible from an elevated tee ... and then sucking back into the hole. How's that Onewood? An accurate account? Hmmm ... I can hear Blakey yelling out in the background, "Why the f... are still talking about ..." :wink: BTW, your backyard is an inspiration to all golfers. :)

:wink: Perfect Jono Perfect :D :D 9 iron guys :D

Goughy, why did'nt you say you've heard about it :wink: you were the last one on my list and I had'nt heard from you :D

So OK officially over :D unless someone missed out :wink: just kidding :D

Jarro
20th May 2004, 06:04 PM
did Onewood have a hole-in-one :?:

I hadn't heard :roll: :lol:

glad you had a good day boys ..... Woodford is a great little course :D

Maybe we can have an Ozgolf day out there soon 8)

Onewood
20th May 2004, 06:35 PM

IT was an Ozgolf day :roll: :D

Jarro
20th May 2004, 07:11 PM

IT was an Ozgolf day :roll: :D

I mean one without the Pro's :roll:

i can't believe i actually said that #-o