PDA

View Full Version : Another Beginner Question

Your_Lunch
16th August 2016, 09:13 AM
Howdy all,

I'm looking to start playing regularly after many years, and am just looking for a little advice when it comes to irons. As a beginner I don't mind the look of a few package deals, but at 6"5' I get the feeling a properly fitted set (at least irons) might serve me better?

The irons I'm looking at are:
- Wilson D200
- TM RSi 1
- Callaway x416

They all seem like decent entry level sets, and similarly priced, but I'm not sure if one might be better than the others?

3Puttpete
16th August 2016, 09:30 AM
RSi1 in the bag screams top bloke

Your_Lunch
16th August 2016, 10:16 AM
So they might be a good way to go?

3Puttpete
16th August 2016, 10:22 AM
I'm a fan. If you can't hit those you can't hit anything

mrbluu
16th August 2016, 10:45 AM
Howdy all, I'm looking to start playing regularly after many years, and am just looking for a little advice when it comes to irons. As a beginner I don't mind the look of a few package deals, but at 6"5' I get the feeling a properly fitted set (at least irons) might serve me better?The irons I'm looking at are:- Wilson D200- TM RSi 1- Callaway x416They all seem like decent entry level sets, and similarly priced, but I'm not sure if one might be better than the others? Welcome YL!!All those clubs look the same to me 😀

Daves
16th August 2016, 10:51 AM
As someone who is a similar height, I would say a good fitting is very important. However, there don't seem to be too many fitters out there that really know how to fit outside the norm. I got fitted when I started playing again, and that was OK, but it never felt quiet right. So I learned to fit myself, and the end recipe I got to was enormously different to the conventional fitting results. I play occasionally with a guy who has recently arrived back from a long stint overseas> He went to a well known fitting centre in Brisbane to get a set of clubs etc. He spent close to $4k, and has since changed just over half the clubs in his bag, at considerable extra cost. So any old fitting isn't necessarily going to give you the results you want.

At the high tech end of fitting there are some pretty good options though, but they will cost you. Cools Clubs (Gold Coast) is one, and I have heard good things about the Taylormade Performance Labs. I think Callaway may have something similar?, but I don't have details.

http://www.coolclubsoz.com.au/fittings.html
http://www.taylormadeperformancelab.com.au/
http://cmp.callawaygolf.com/custom-fitting/

As to the clubs you mention, they are all pretty good, and would all suit some one starting out again. I have a set of the RSi 1s (amongst many), and they are a good example of where modern club building have got to. Plenty of forgiveness, strong lofts so they are looong, and plenty of help getting the ball launched. And they look pretty smick. I am pretty sure the same can be said for the Callaways and Wilsons, so it really comes down to personal choice, if fitting options offered are similar.

Hard_Pan
16th August 2016, 11:02 AM
Being well over 6' I think you'll find most standard clubs too short with a too flat a lie. I'm 6'2" and when I started playing (about 4 years ago), I really struggled to hit the ball straight until I sorted this out.

Why not consider a set of second hand ping irons - any in the K or G series would be great, as long as the dot colour (which equates to lie angle), is white, silver or even maroon and at least 1" longer than standard.

Johnno
16th August 2016, 12:35 PM
I'm around 6'2 and my iron game improved a lot when I dropped back to standard length 2 degrees up.
I was told by a fitter that it is based more on arm length and distance to the floor.
Ernie Els is 6'5 and plays standard or very close to

Daves
16th August 2016, 12:41 PM
I'm around 6'2 and my iron game improved a lot when I dropped back to standard length 2 degrees up.
I was told by a fitter that it is based more on arm length and distance to the floor.
Ernie Els is 6'5 and plays standard or very close to

Yep, totally depends on your individual build, and your swing tempo/type. I play my clubs typically 1.5 to 2" over, very heavy, and with all sorts of shaft/flex mixes. Very light (shafts and/or clubs) don't work for me. But otherwise, the shafts only tend to affect flight, and not much else for me.

CeeAy
16th August 2016, 12:45 PM
As someone who is a similar height, I would say a good fitting is very important. However, there don't seem to be too many fitters out there that really know how to fit outside the norm. I got fitted when I started playing again, and that was OK, but it never felt quiet right. So I learned to fit myself, and the end recipe I got to was enormously different to the conventional fitting results. I play occasionally with a guy who has recently arrived back from a long stint overseas> He went to a well known fitting centre in Brisbane to get a set of clubs etc. He spent close to $4k, and has since changed just over half the clubs in his bag, at considerable extra cost. So any old fitting isn't necessarily going to give you the results you want.At the high tech end of fitting there are some pretty good options though, but they will cost you. Cools Clubs (Gold Coast) is one, and I have heard good things about the Taylormade Performance Labs. I think Callaway may have something similar?, but I don't have details.http://www.coolclubsoz.com.au/fittings.htmlhttp://www.taylormadeperformancelab.com.au/http://cmp.callawaygolf.com/custom-fitting/As to the clubs you mention, they are all pretty good, and would all suit some one starting out again. I have a set of the RSi 1s (amongst many), and they are a good example of where modern club building have got to. Plenty of forgiveness, strong lofts so they are looong, and plenty of help getting the ball launched. And they look pretty smick. I am pretty sure the same can be said for the Callaways and Wilsons, so it really comes down to personal choice, if fitting options offered are similar. Firstly, apologies YL for hijacking your thread. Thanks Daves - always like reading your posts because there's always plenty of info in them. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I probably should've done a similar thing when I recently started out. Instead I bought a budget new set off eBay ($250 for the whole set & bag) with the theory being to see if l enjoy it enough, get some sort of swing sorted and then move on to bigger and better things. Well I'm hooked, the Fathers Day/Xmas/B'day lists all have golf lessons written on them but a couple of weeks ago I made a grave mistake! I attended a demo day. Now I was fully aware there'd be a difference between my el cheapo's and a name brand of clubs but bloody hell the difference was enormous. I consistently hit the demo clubs 20 metres longer. This is massive to me - I'm not a long hitter at all so now when I see the words looonger and more forgiving I break out into a sweat and start googling like a madman. Needless to say there's more items on the list now...

Ferrins
16th August 2016, 02:21 PM
Buy a set of perci.

Steve57
16th August 2016, 03:12 PM
Buy a set of perci.

He is a one off Chris!

Ferrins
16th August 2016, 03:13 PM
So was I.

Your_Lunch
16th August 2016, 03:29 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the info! Those high tech fittings look awesome...maybe a bit expensive for me, but you've definitely sold me on not just buying a standard package.

Are fittings in a store usually just for shaft length, or would they go deeper into the lie angle and such too? I'm down in SE Melbourne, so Drummonds, Golf Clearance Outlet etc are probably where I'll be heading for them.

Barnesy01
16th August 2016, 03:50 PM
For my 2cents worth.
Depending on how beginner you are.
As an early beginner, i would suggest, you just hit clubs until you find a swing that works. Then get lessons to get the right swing.
Once you have the bug, GET FITTED!!!!! This will reduce storkes from your game regardless of Handicap.
Only get fitted from the companies with the right equipment, that can have different shaft lengths/weights/stiffness.
Your typical golf retailer will not be able to provide you with this.
I fly from Cairns to Sydney/Melbourne each year to get fitted with Callaway Clubs. I trust the process.

Oldplayer
17th August 2016, 02:26 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the info! Those high tech fittings look awesome...maybe a bit expensive for me, but you've definitely sold me on not just buying a standard package.

Are fittings in a store usually just for shaft length, or would they go deeper into the lie angle and such too? I'm down in SE Melbourne, so Drummonds, Golf Clearance Outlet etc are probably where I'll be heading for them.
Your chances of getting an accurate fitting at these type retail outlets are not good. Without a lot of knowledge yourself you will probably need the help of someone who understands fitting parameters to get close to the right specs. Even with a topline fitting as has been pointed out in this thread is no guarantee you will get the right set as professional fitters all have their own approach and pet theories about what works best. IMO the best way to go is to learn for yourself what suits you best. Perhaps pick the brains of a friendly club pro. Get an idea of what shaft length you should be playing. Than as far as flex, basically if you are young and strong and give the ball a good hit go for stiffer and heavier shafts. Once you have the rough length and flex pick a head you like. The ones you are looking at look fine then buy a good used set that won't set you back too much. When you get them swing them on a lie angle board (if you don't know what I mean the concept is simple and easy) them get your friendly pro to bend to the correct lie angle (more than 2 or 3 degrees on most cast heads is a bit of a stretch) then go play. You will have a sound understanding what sort of parameters suit you after a short time and you will understand the equipment side of your game so you can reach your potential.
good luck.

Your_Lunch
29th August 2016, 04:28 PM
So one more question for you guys...as pretty much a beginner, would it be better to start off with just a set of irons, driver and putter, or should I grab fairway woods/hybrids etc too? For the same price, I'm leaning towards a better set of irons and adding to it later, but not sure if this is the way to go.
The reason I ask is I popped by a place yesterday, and the saleperson was telling me a Cleveland package was going to be better for me than the more expensive Callaway/TM irons, so I got a little confused!

solarbear
29th August 2016, 05:37 PM
I'd buy a driver, 4 hybrid, irons 5-sw, putter.

I am sure guys here know someone in Melbourne who does fitting. A your height it would be really imprortant.

Daves
29th August 2016, 05:39 PM
So one more question for you guys...as pretty much a beginner, would it be better to start off with just a set of irons, driver and putter, or should I grab fairway woods/hybrids etc too? For the same price, I'm leaning towards a better set of irons and adding to it later, but not sure if this is the way to go.
The reason I ask is I popped by a place yesterday, and the saleperson was telling me a Cleveland package was going to be better for me than the more expensive Callaway/TM irons, so I got a little confused!

Cleveland don't make irons any more (or drivers, woods or hybrids either) , so it will be old stock and therefore should be cheaper. Nothing wrong with old stock though, some of Cleveland's latter models, like the 588TTs, were as good as any clubs in the bracket.

If you have a reasonable swing speed, 3 - PW would be ideal, and should negate the need for a Wood or Hybrid straight away.