PDA

View Full Version : Ping i3+

cossie
11th August 2016, 07:59 PM
I just purchased some ping i3+ irons with graphite shafts and g5 woods. I really just need assurance that they are ok. Wanting to start playing golf again after 5 years, i had tommy armour clubs before these. (As an aside i payed 280 for them). Cheers

Captain Nemo
11th August 2016, 08:08 PM
As good as any going around today.

cossie
11th August 2016, 08:11 PM
Thanx captain

goughy
12th August 2016, 05:29 AM
Still have i3+'s in my bag. Love them. Indestructible.

cossie
12th August 2016, 08:01 AM
Thanks goughy

dazza99
12th August 2016, 08:25 AM
Echo.

My bro-in-law has played them from new. He's often thought of upgrading and gone to a few demo's. But has kept his i3's in the bag until now.

I think most "older" Pings stand the test of time. Eye 2's are still as good as imho (h for hacker).

3oneday
12th August 2016, 11:19 AM
Is one of them illegal though? as in the +?

cossie
12th August 2016, 11:25 AM
What do u mean

Coopers Country
12th August 2016, 11:37 AM
I thought the plus meant the grooves were legal ?

Captain Nemo
12th August 2016, 11:41 AM
Think he means the eye 2's

Coopers Country
12th August 2016, 12:11 PM
Played with a guy in our open who was using BeCu eye 2's but he had a card which said they had been sent away and regrooved legally , but I thought the + designation on eye 2's meant they were legal

Hatchman
12th August 2016, 12:22 PM
Played with a guy in our open who was using BeCu eye 2's but he had a card which said they had been sent away and regrooved legally , but I thought the + designation on eye 2's meant they were legal

Correct +'s in the Eye 2's are ok. Any plain Eye 2's were able to be sent back to Ping to have the grooves made legal and they issued a compliance card like your mate had CC.
Without a compliance card/letter plain old Eye 2's are questionable as to legal or not.

The + in the Eye 3's was just a designation for an oversize head from memory (I could be wrong?). I think it was i3, i3+ and i3 Blade which is what I had for a few years.

goughy
12th August 2016, 12:45 PM
The First model was the i3 and the i3 Blade (which I think was a smaller head with less offset). The i3+ and i3+ Blade were the new model a couple of years later, that's all.

Daves
12th August 2016, 12:48 PM
Just to confuse the issue most of the Eye 2s are legal in USGA covered countries/events, but not R & A ones like Oz. And to confuse it further, I think there are also some limited variations of the Eye 2, that are no go in either. And then there is the new grooves rule that counts some out for Elite events, or by 2024.

http://www.ping.com/clubs/grooves.aspx

CeeAy
12th August 2016, 12:57 PM
Just to confuse the issue most of the Eye 2s are legal in USGA covered countries/events, but not R & A ones like Oz. And to confuse it further, I think there are also some limited variations of the Eye 2, that are no go in either. And then there is the new grooves rule that counts some out for Elite events, or by 2024. http://www.ping.com/clubs/grooves.aspxEven the link is confused!

Steve57
12th August 2016, 01:07 PM
Even the link is confused!
Works ok on a PC.

CeeAy
12th August 2016, 01:10 PM
Yeah thought it would be just the mobile site :)

dazza99
12th August 2016, 03:49 PM
And on the legal / Illegal & non-conforming bit - I was under the Impression that the non-conforming ones were only Illegal for use In pro and top amateur tournaments? I thought all club comps were fine. No?

My set is Eye 2+ which are definitely ok when I get good enough to turn pro. Oh, hang on....

3oneday
12th August 2016, 04:09 PM
Does that cover broomstick putters?

Anyway, glad I asked :lol:

Daves
12th August 2016, 04:26 PM
And on the legal / Illegal & non-conforming bit - I was under the Impression that the non-conforming ones were only Illegal for use In pro and top amateur tournaments? I thought all club comps were fine. No?

My set is Eye 2+ which are definitely ok when I get good enough to turn pro. Oh, hang on....

Hi Baz,

read through the Ping site link. It is the original U Grooved models that don't comply in R & A jurisdictions. Ping made some later model U grooves that do comply, so you need to check the markings of non Eye 2 + models to see which lot they are in.

dazza99
13th August 2016, 12:33 PM
Hi Baz,

read through the Ping site link. It is the original U Grooved models that don't comply in R & A jurisdictions. Ping made some later model U grooves that do comply, so you need to check the markings of non Eye 2 + models to see which lot they are in.

Hey Dave. My set (when I play them) are Eye 2+. They are all ok then aren't they?

Daves
13th August 2016, 06:50 PM
Hey Dave. My set (when I play them) are Eye 2+. They are all ok then aren't they?

Eye2+ iron and wedges (these clubs were made beginning in early 1990, and each has U grooves):

Conform until at least 2024 at nearly all non-professional events played under the R&A and/or the USGA Rules of Golf;
Do not conform at professional tour events or any other events that have adopted the 2010 Condition of Competition; and
Will not conform at any national amateur championships conducted by the USGA and/or the R&A held after 2013.