PDA

View Full Version : Census

3oneday
9th August 2016, 08:15 PM
As expected, no longer accessible.

Just spent 20 minutes doing it, finished, then about 7:45 pressed submit. Bombed out, saving bombed out, can't get back in.

Doubt I'll call to complain :) wankers.

Captain Nemo
9th August 2016, 08:17 PM
Haha, they said it wouldn't crash!!

Daves
9th August 2016, 08:18 PM
I did ours at around 6pm. Didn't have an issue.

Ron Burgundy
9th August 2016, 08:23 PM
My missus completed mine for me while doing hers earlier today. All well and good except I wanted to put my address as Betoota.

AndyP
9th August 2016, 08:24 PM
I did mine Saturday, suckers.

Steve57
9th August 2016, 08:31 PM
I did ours at around 6pm. Didn't have an issue.
I completed ours at around 5.30pm as I suspected there would be problems later on!

TheNuclearOne
9th August 2016, 08:38 PM
Did mine at 6pm, took 18 mins and no probs at all.

Dotty
9th August 2016, 09:00 PM
Done at 10am.

Still patting myself on the back for including a trap to detect any passing on of personal details.

Ferrins
9th August 2016, 09:06 PM
Can't access it atm

3oneday
9th August 2016, 09:22 PM
There's some funny stuff on the web about it now. Apparently you have til 20 something of Sept to complete it.

Census operators are proud that already a million people have submitted. That would indicate quite a ****in few haven't though :lol:

markTHEblake
9th August 2016, 09:29 PM
i am assuming i can just do my bit myself, and then just handover to the facebook adddicts in the house and it doesnt affect me if they do it or not?
coordinating those schmucks to get anything done is impossible

spanner039
9th August 2016, 09:46 PM
Did it on the phone about 6 straight through and not much more than 10min, didn't really lie either

jimandr
10th August 2016, 12:45 AM
The census website was apparently down from about 8.00pm. As of 12.30am when I just tried it, it is still down.

The news websites are full of this, and doing the laughing for us already.

I guess they have a few years to get this right before they start trying it out for online election voting, but it isn't a good start.

goughy
10th August 2016, 01:53 AM
Rob eventually got a message saying that the site will be down for the rest of the night and that it can be completed at a later date. A perfect example of how we can trust them with our technology future.

goughy
10th August 2016, 06:25 AM
They're just saying on the ABC that they're saying they took it down after a series of hacking attacks from an overseas site. Nice attempt to save face!

Daves
10th August 2016, 06:41 AM
Anyone who has any involvement/experience with running high volume, high security servers will know they were always going to have issues with the volume/no. of sessions involved. Particularly when each session would last 10 to 20 minutes. Add to that issue with ISPs, and multiple browsers, not to mention the users equipment and it is hardly surprising that it crashed. Multiple server farms you say, yeah been there, have the scars!

3oneday
10th August 2016, 06:43 AM
Interested as to how they could load test for millions of folks? They reckon they did.

Daves
10th August 2016, 06:46 AM
Interested as to how they could load test for millions of folks? They reckon they did.

You can run simulations, but it only accounts for some of the factors involved.

goughy
10th August 2016, 07:11 AM
But it didn't crash, they took it down due to repeated hack attempts (don't know if I believe that either).

Apparently the tweet made by the ABS last night that the site was running as expected and try again, was made 20mins after the ABS pulled the site down.

Daves
10th August 2016, 07:15 AM
But it didn't crash, they took it down due to repeated hack attempts (don't know if I believe that either).

Apparently the tweet made by the ABS last night that the site was running as expected and try again, was made 20mins after the ABS pulled the site down.

DOS attacks, not hack attempts is what I am reading. A DOS is basically huge volumes of hits, so they would have crashed the site eventually.

3oneday
10th August 2016, 07:20 AM
Yep, likely to believe what the ABC and Government tell us too :)

Jazz18
10th August 2016, 07:32 AM
Didn't even bother trying. Will do at some point before the 23rd September.

Yossarian
10th August 2016, 08:28 AM
Maybe someone posted a pic of a turtle.

Daves
10th August 2016, 08:29 AM

That would do it.

Johnny Canuck
10th August 2016, 11:07 AM
Rob eventually got a message saying that the site will be down for the rest of the night and that it can be completed at a later date. A perfect example of how we can trust them with our technology future.

Are these posts related?

thecollective
10th August 2016, 12:46 PM
Are these posts related?

we need the turtle thread back

AndyP
10th August 2016, 12:57 PM
I don't think turtles need to complete the census.

wazamac
10th August 2016, 05:04 PM
I'll speak for Lager and say "what about the goats?"

3Puttpete
10th August 2016, 05:13 PM
I'll speak for Lager and say "what about the goats?"

They're probably all at his place anyway. He would have included them

goughy
10th August 2016, 06:37 PM
Apparently the minster in charge of this is too busy to comment as his own site has been hacked and it has been posting weird stuff today and linking to gay sites, something he has supposedly made comments about in the past. So I'm guessing a very targeted attack today.

jimandr
11th August 2016, 04:54 PM
The census site was finally up and running again today, so I got it done at last.

A most painless exercise as well. I was impressed with how easy it was and how well it skipped the questions that didn't apply.

Hopefully they will learn the lesson for next time, which should be to tell people they don't need to actually do it and submit it on the evening of the census date. Had they just told us to submit it by the end of the week there may not have as many problems.

goughy
11th August 2016, 06:07 PM
But we had till next month. They really did a very poor job of notifying everyone of that. May have solved all their problems.

LeftyHoges
12th August 2016, 12:38 AM
Website crashed after Yoss tried to explain why there were 23 men at his house. :rolleyes:

Johnny Canuck
12th August 2016, 09:08 AM
Website crashed after Yoss tried to explain why there were 23 men at his house. :rolleyes:

Were they there to see him or his mum?