PDA

View Full Version : Same length irons.

Scifisicko
6th August 2016, 03:26 PM
Played irons today with 5,6,7,8 all 8 iron length. Liked it. Gaps are tighter and 5 iron only seems about 5m shorter. Short shafted long irons are very easy to shape and I like the idea that all my iron swings are the same.

Captain Nemo
6th August 2016, 03:35 PM
What brand?

Icestorm959
6th August 2016, 03:39 PM
Wouldn't you now have to add an extra hybrid to make it work?

Jazz18
6th August 2016, 04:59 PM
Played irons today with 5,6,7,8 all 8 iron length. Liked it. Gaps are tighter and 5 iron only seems about 5m shorter. Short shafted long irons are very easy to shape and I like the idea that all my iron swings are the same.

What did you do about the swing weights?

liptout
6th August 2016, 05:14 PM
I did this to my 'spare set'..... a 60 or 70 year old set of blades!!

All 8i length with PX 5.5 in them....

I want to do it to my 'game set' but just a little reluctant considering I've got Tour AD's in them and haven't gamed them enough to know if they are keepers or not....
Once I know they're for me, they'll be getting chopped down to 8i length as well.....

Scifisicko
6th August 2016, 06:23 PM
Don't know whether I will need an extra hybrid. I played a 4 h and I'm guessing the gap between it and the cut down 5 iron is max 15 m. But there are extra shots you can safely play with the cut down 5 iron. A ropey draw will go nearly as far as the hybrid. For the time being the clubs have blu-tack in the cavity to adjust the weight. The shafts feel stiffer in the "long irons".

Coldtopper
6th August 2016, 06:25 PM
Played irons today with 5,6,7,8 all 8 iron length. Liked it. Gaps are tighter and 5 iron only seems about 5m shorter. Short shafted long irons are very easy to shape and I like the idea that all my iron swings are the same. Guess this sums you up! Then lippy chimes ! Noonan oh Danny !

markTHEblake
8th August 2016, 09:18 PM
did you make all the headweights the same? otherwise your swingweights are going to be crazy

solarbear
11th August 2016, 06:52 PM
Hope one of the OEMs, probably Cobra, put out a set of SL irons soon as I am realky intrigued by the idea.

Godscountry
11th August 2016, 07:03 PM
Old mate just needs to win a tournament or 2 and they'll bring them out

backintheswing
11th August 2016, 07:05 PM
Old mate apparently hasn't got a card for the main pga tour next year, so he will be back on the web.com.

Captain Nemo
11th August 2016, 07:18 PM
Old mate might be a flash in the pan..,

Johnny Canuck
11th August 2016, 11:48 PM
Don't know whether I will need an extra hybrid. I played a 4 h and I'm guessing the gap between it and the cut down 5 iron is max 15 m. But there are extra shots you can safely play with the cut down 5 iron. A ropey draw will go nearly as far as the hybrid. For the time being the clubs have blu-tack in the cavity to adjust the weight. The shafts feel stiffer in the "long irons".

Did you get your lie angles adjusted?

Old mate might be a flash in the pan..,

He has a very impressive amateur track record and finished 21st & 15th in the two majors he played in this year.

He's on a fat sponsorship deal, he'll be ok I think.

solarbear
12th August 2016, 12:29 PM
Whether he wins or not, the idea is certainly intriguing and would definitely be worth an experiment.

Daves
12th August 2016, 01:03 PM
Did you get your lie angles adjusted?

He has a very impressive amateur track record and finished 21st & 15th in the two majors he played in this year.

He's on a fat sponsorship deal, he'll be ok I think.

He made nearly $0.5M US in 9 Pro starts, so he almost made the money list cut off. He hasn't faded away just yet.

Daves
12th August 2016, 01:10 PM
Whether he wins or not, the idea is certainly intriguing and would definitely be worth an experiment.

Whilst it involves a bit more in terms of same length, same swing, the clubs by their design will also MOI matched, which works for me. I would love to try a single length set, unfortunately the only option for a lefty is the 1 iron mob, and they won't sell you the heads only.

Captain Nemo
12th August 2016, 01:13 PM
Did you get your lie angles adjusted? He has a very impressive amateur track record and finished 21st & 15th in the two majors he played in this year. He's on a fat sponsorship deal, he'll be ok I think.So have many others had impressive amateur careers then faded into obscurity..No doubt, the kids got game, and he's very marketable. I'm a fan, lets not hope he becomes the Anna Kournakova of the men's golf scene though....

Johnny Canuck
12th August 2016, 01:15 PM
So have many others had impressive amateur careers then faded into obscurity..No doubt, the kids got game, and he's very marketable. I'm a fan, lets not hope he becomes the Anna Kournakova of the men's golf scene though....

He is one of only 5 to win the US Am and NCAA Champs in the same year.

Joining Tiger, Jack, Phil and Ryan Moore are the others.

That's pretty impressive company.

He would have easily retained his card if he played a full season. The kid has some serious game.

Captain Nemo
12th August 2016, 01:18 PM
Time will tell....

3oneday
12th August 2016, 04:14 PM
Anyway, back to the same length thingo.

If you play them at 8 iron length, does this assume every club is the same lie angle as the 8 iron AND the same headweight?

Edit, what happens to 9 and wedge re weight and length, be a bit hard to take weight off wouldn't it?

Daves
12th August 2016, 04:20 PM
Anyway, back to the same length thingo.

If you play them at 8 iron length, does this assume every club is the same lie angle as the 8 iron AND the same headweight?

Edit, what happens to 9 and wedge re weight and length, be a bit hard to take weight off wouldn't it?

All the heads are the same weight and lie angle as I understand it.

LarryLong
12th August 2016, 04:34 PM
I'm always intrigued by this. Why would you choose 8-iron length?

benno_r
12th August 2016, 04:51 PM
Yes thats correct, all irons same weight, and lie.

The tough part of the sell will be determining the right iron for each player. Some players might want everything set up like a 6i, or a 7i, or an 8i. Currently the Wishon sets are setup like an 8i. If 8i isn't your thing, you're going to be out of luck.

Johnny Canuck
12th August 2016, 05:06 PM
All the heads are the same weight and lie angle as I understand it.

Bounce as well, I believe.

liptout
12th August 2016, 09:07 PM
I'm always intrigued by this. Why would you choose 8-iron length?

I did mine to 8i length cause half the time it's the only iron I feel comfortable standing over!! :D

markTHEblake
12th August 2016, 09:33 PM

the idea has been around for 30 years at least. probably decades more. This Bryson fellow has made the idea a bit more famous.

the problem is compression of distance gaps at the longer clubs, and the need to have faster swing speeds with longer clubs to get enough height and carry. Any one notice how big a unit this Bryson fellow is.

The concept probably suits old farts with something like 5-8 same length

Scifisicko
13th August 2016, 04:41 PM
Experiment over. 8 iron length 5 and 6 irons keep leaving me short. It's more like 10m shorter than the 5m I initially thought. I don't want to put an extra long club in play to cover the gap.

liptout
13th August 2016, 04:43 PM
Adjust the lofts to suit??

Scifisicko
13th August 2016, 05:23 PM
Crossfield reviewed the wishon set. FWIW I agree with what he says (except I didn't find the long irons as long as pre cut down) Also the cut down long iron is very versatile.

liptout
13th August 2016, 05:46 PM
I've also got a 2i in the bag with a pw shaft in it.........

One of my favourite clubs in there.

Give that a try!! ;)

mrbluu
13th August 2016, 07:43 PM
I've also got a 2i in the bag with a pw shaft in it.........

One of my favourite clubs in there.

Give that a try!! ;)
How do u go with its grooves and the swing weight.... bwhahaha [emoji13]

Daves
13th August 2016, 08:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU_332Cj2Ng

jasonb
13th August 2016, 08:24 PM
Didn't Moe Norman play the same length irons, many who teach his methods sell them

liptout
13th August 2016, 08:42 PM
How do u go with its grooves and the swing weight.... bwhahaha [emoji13]

It's the only club in the bag with grooves, just to keep you naysayers happy!!

As for the swing weight, I'd say the ten layers of tape I've got under the grip would put in the somewhere in the BS range!! ;)

damoocow
17th August 2016, 10:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU_332Cj2Ng

He likes them. That's a good review right there. Pricey here in Australia though to experiment with.

3oneday
18th August 2016, 07:45 AM
No harm in giving them a go, like any gimmicky sorta thing, but at the end of the day if you suffer from LOFT like most of us do, it won't make much difference.

Yossarian
14th September 2016, 10:58 AM
Time will tell.... Made some sweet bank on Bryson retaining his card.

Johnny Canuck
14th September 2016, 11:07 AM
I had 6 bazillion on him this past weekend. I've always said this guy was going to be awesome.

Oh Herro.

Scifisicko
15th September 2016, 05:48 PM
Old mate got his card, and Pureform have the sterling irons coming in November. I will go along and see what the numbers say.

oldracer
15th September 2016, 06:41 PM
Old mate got his card, and Pureform have the sterling irons coming in November. I will go along and see what the numbers say.not bloody cheap :roll:

3oneday
15th September 2016, 06:53 PM
Here's the ozgolf alternative http://www.ebay.com/itm/201663203538?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

markTHEblake
27th September 2016, 07:58 PM
I was chatting to me clubmaker last week and he said the Wishon single length heads are very good. The long irons have spring faces to overcome the distance/height issue with the lower lofted clubs.
He said he has made 5 sets in the last month or so, and the golfers are very happy with it.
http://wishongolf.com/designs/sets/sterling-irons-single-length-set/

for sure there is a honeymoon period too, I'll wait for the dust to settle before having a go. Its not as if its worth while doing a demo of just one club :)

Daves
27th September 2016, 08:07 PM
I am waiting for the LH versions to be released (early 2017).

For someone wanting to build a set on the cheap, these are an option;

http://www.valuegolf.com/golf-components/iron-heads/pinhawk-sl-single-length-iron-heads

Daves
5th October 2016, 09:31 AM
A set of SL clubs on ebay;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pin-Hawk-Single-length-irons-4-To-AW-Reg-shafts-/322282411304?hash=item4b09875528:g:SOgAAOSwgmJX1ns l

Ryano
10th October 2016, 02:17 AM

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pin-Hawk-Single-length-irons-4-To-AW-Reg-shafts-/322282411304?hash=item4b09875528:g:SOgAAOSwgmJX1ns l

I put a bid on these, got excited that I had won the auction.

Then I was out bid by $2 in the last 3 seconds. I was on my phone, so I didn't seem to have enough time to put another bid on.

Pretty frustrating, was really keen to try these.

Does anyone know if it's just possible to get a pro shop to fit all my iron 7 iron heads on the same shaft (same length etc)
or is there something else that goes in to it?

markTHEblake
10th October 2016, 01:57 PM
If you get anyone to make yourself a set of single length irons that is not an experienced club maker you will most likely end up with a set that is like a terd on the end of a stick.

There is a lot more to it that lick and stick. You first got to find the optimal length/lie/swing weight/flex for you.

3Puttpete
10th October 2016, 03:26 PM
Does anyone know if it's just possible to get a pro shop to fit all my iron 7 iron heads on the same shaft (same length etc)

Of course it's possible. Do it and see how you go

There is a lot more to it that lick and stick. You first got to find the optimal length/lie/swing weight/flex for you.

Too complicated. It might work his way.

Daves
10th October 2016, 04:29 PM

I put a bid on these, got excited that I had won the auction.

Then I was out bid by $2 in the last 3 seconds. I was on my phone, so I didn't seem to have enough time to put another bid on.

Pretty frustrating, was really keen to try these.

If you get anyone to make yourself a set of single length irons that is not an experienced club maker you will most likely end up with a set that is like a terd on the end of a stick.

You need to have special Single Length clubheads. They are all the same weight, whereas in a traditional set, the clubheads get progressively heavier, the higher the loft. This enables the traditional clubs to be built with progressive length shafts and still swingweight the same.

In a single length set, the clubs and shafts (should) weigh the same, and being the same length, they should all swingweight the same. Or at least have the same Moment of Inertia (MOI) ie. feel the same to swing.

The variables that you need to be fitted for are; flex, shaft weight, length and ultimately lie angle. Flex and shaft weight are somewhat straight forward, though you need to allow that flex will vary a little, depending on selected length. I am presuming all the SL irons are parallel tipped (0.370")?, as Taper would be a bit of a pain in sourcing shafts, being you would want a set of all 6i/7i/8i, as the case may be. Whereas Parallels would be straightforward to trim to the same specs/flex etc.

Lie angles could vary dramatically, depending on what final club length you settle on. Again, traditional sets normally have progressive lie angles to to take account of the different lengths and hand positions of each club. The theory of SL is you hold them and swing them all the same, so Lie angles should be pretty much the same through the set. The problem comes in that player A may be suited by an 8i length, whilst Player B works best with a 5i length. There will likely be at least a few degrees difference in required lie angle to take account of the different hand positions. Not to mention all the variance in posture, swing planes etc that see traditional club lie angles potentially vary considerably from player to player.

I think I can build accurately for myself to everything but Lie Angle. I can probably work it out, but I have not put my mind to it yet.

3oneday
10th October 2016, 05:29 PM
Seems the lofts are tweaked slightly too, not certain why, different flights maybe?

davidw88
10th October 2016, 05:44 PM
Seems the lofts are tweaked slightly too, not certain why, different flights maybe?

Its because of the shaft length.

Daves
10th October 2016, 06:48 PM

Probably to do with keeping consistent distance gaps I would guess.

Foburger
10th October 2016, 07:05 PM
It's such an interesting concept compared to most of the other stuff kicking around these days. By the numbers though, the speed differential just won't be there with all the shafts being the same length. It'd be weird going from 4-P as 100-80mph to all at say 85mph.

Captain Nemo
12th October 2016, 07:36 AM
Cobra going retail.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161011/169772b71f275da7e1cb6284a00739e8.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dM.
12th October 2016, 06:28 PM
Two different models going to retail:

http://www.golfwrx.com/402678/single-length-irons-go-mainstream-with-cobras-new-king-f7-king-forged-tour/

Very Interesting, might be my next purchase.

markTHEblake
12th October 2016, 06:38 PM
Didnt take long but I would be advising against buying these off the shelf, surely a single length set requires even more careful customisation for right length and lie than ever before.
I can see why OEMS will love this, they would actually save money in manufacturing.

solarbear
13th October 2016, 07:45 AM
37.25 inches. Stock is going to make a very long gw. I think Wishons 36.5 was a better idea.

Otherwise they are georgeous shaped heads.

3oneday
13th October 2016, 08:16 AM
I think if I was to try it I'd go the component route firstly, buying from Cobra would be pretty exy.

YonexMan
13th October 2016, 10:32 AM
I'd want something with less offset as well. Can't stand the look of clubs with a lot of offset.

markTHEblake
13th October 2016, 01:24 PM
I think if I was to try it I'd go the component route firstly Wouldn't that be against your religion? :-)

3oneday
13th October 2016, 03:02 PM
Wouldn't that be against your religion? :-)in this life probably, still have some Synchron hybrids and Wishon irons at home from a previous life though :)

dM.
13th October 2016, 03:55 PM
New Cobra irons won't be released before Jan, sometimes we get lucky and gear gets an early release due to it being our summer and Xmas shopping but components won't be available till Jan.

Hope they are worth waiting for.

Godscountry
13th October 2016, 08:59 PM
I'm genuinely interested in at least trying them out. It will be interesting to see how the spacing a work out in my local Drummond net where I regularly fly my 7 iron 190 meters with a baby draw

solarbear
17th November 2016, 08:53 AM
Bit the bullet and bought the Sterling Irons. So far the distance gapping seems about right. Build quality was superb. The heads look amazing and would suit a wide range of golfers from 5 to 30. They look really sharp at set up, are very forgiving and very clean looking. Like a lot of Wishon irons they are very forgiving on bad shots out of the toe and heel. They look very nice, much much nicer than pictures. Ordered them from a bloke in Sydney with FST pro shafts and they seem to really suit my swing.

They are really nice looking for people who want something less gaudy. The soft metal are very soft feeling and would surprise many people with an almost forged feel. The Hi Cor sound a tiny bit wierd but I got over that after a ball or two.

One thing I noticed is how much more comfortable I feel going from shot to shot and club to club.

Daves
17th November 2016, 09:13 AM
Bit the bullet and bought the Sterling Irons. So far the distance gapping seems about right. Build quality was superb. The heads look amazing and would suit a wide range of golfers from 5 to 30. They look really sharp at set up, are very forgiving and very clean looking. Like a lot of Wishon irons they are very forgiving on bad shots out of the toe and heel. They look very nice, much much nicer than pictures. Ordered them from a bloke in Sydney with FST pro shafts and they seem to really suit my swing.

They are really nice looking for people who want something less gaudy. The soft metal are very soft feeling and would surprise many people with an almost forged feel. The Hi Cor sound a tiny bit wierd but I got over that after a ball or two.

One thing I noticed is how much more comfortable I feel going from shot to shot and club to club.

Please keep us posted solar. How were the specs decided/selected?

solarbear
17th November 2016, 09:43 AM
Please keep us posted solar. How were the specs decided/selected?

I sent the maker a club I was hitting well so he could work out the lie and what the actual specs of the club were. The club was going a bit high so we talked about shaft options that would suit me. He really wanted me to get into C-Tapers but I could not afford them so we settled on FST Pro. Swingweight we discussed clubs I liked and didn't and settled on D3. I have always liked my clubs a bigt shorter so the 36.5 was a no brainer. So far the fitting was pretty good and despite not hitting for a month or so I was making a lot of center contact, so I feel the specs are working for me.

The build quality was superb and the grips CP2 Pro are better than I imagined. The clubs feel amazing.

I really think these clubs suit average golfers like me really well. If your a great golfer why would you make the switch? Makes no sense. I hit quite a few sandwedges and they did not feel wierd, they did go a bit high, the 5 iron went about as I expected and felt really comfortable at address.

solarbear
28th November 2016, 10:28 AM
After several range sessions and Finally getting to play 9 holes with the clubs, I would say they are very viable and will be in my bag for the next decade or so. The gapping seemed pretty good and my only complain with them seems to be the SW goes higher than I would prefer, but that could be either my swing or perceptions.

I did some bunker practice with the SW and it seemed to work fine. Pitching and chipping in the game was fine.

However, Wishon has tweaked these clubs, appearance-wise, they seem to really look similar at address no matter which club you have in your hand. I often go to the range and hit a club, drop it on the ground, grab another and hit it without looking, then try to guess what it was. Rinse and repeat.

The gapping works. The long irons are easy to hit and the various wedges are comfortable. I hit more greens with full shots with short irons and wedges than I have in a long time. Most of my misses were my fault where I did not take into account elevation enough.

If you are a really good player I am not sure the wedges will spin the ball like you would prefer. That would be my one reservation about recommending them.

The metal used in the mid and short irons is phenominal. It gives them a really nice feel. I love hitting all of them at the range equally.

Mostly, I feel heaps more comfortable going from club to club during a game.

Captain Nemo
28th November 2016, 02:23 PM
Great review.
Hope they go well moving forward.

damoocow
28th November 2016, 02:35 PM
Did you buy 3 - SW? How did you find the cost compared to other sets you had considered?

solarbear
29th November 2016, 09:01 AM
Did you buy 3 - SW? How did you find the cost compared to other sets you had considered?

I bought the 5 to SW, which is all the SL come in ATM. 4 irons are being released by both Cobra and Wishon next year. It doesn't bother me as I only intended to buy 5-SW in whatever set I bought anyways. If I can't get on with a 5 iron I am unlikely to get on.

I think mine were $140-150 a club. A more premium shaft would have been $150. Which is cheaper than Ping or Titliest but more expensive than some other OEMs. I know. I think that Components should aim to be 75% of the cost of OEM's but apparently Wishon and clubmakers disagree.

Last year I bought a set of Ping iE1's and was very disappointed in them. They just never produced for me like I wanted and I found myself drifting back to my Wishon 752TC's. I like that sort of medium sized cavity head. I don't know why the iE1's didn't seem to work, the heads are the perfect size and shape, but I hated swinging them. The Sterling are exactly the size and cavity I was looking for. Even their offset seems perfect for me.

Daves
29th November 2016, 07:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y13dUTfx0IQ

3Puttpete
29th November 2016, 09:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y13dUTfx0IQ

What's the weight table he put up? Are they relative to a standard iron, ie all normal 7 iron weight so the 4 iron is 25 grams heavier than a standard 4 iron?

Daves
29th November 2016, 10:18 PM
What's the weight table he put up? Are they relative to a standard iron, ie all normal 7 iron weight so the 4 iron is 25 grams heavier than a standard 4 iron?

That was my understanding of it. And when you look at (work out) the implied weight increments for a normal variable length set, they are pretty close to the normal 7/8 gram increments. In reality, single length irons in theory should all be the same weight. If they are, then the set should be MOI Matched (same weight and same length = same MOI, all other things being equal)

aym
30th November 2016, 03:18 PM
I bought the 5 to SW, which is all the SL come in ATM. 4 irons are being released by both Cobra and Wishon next year. It doesn't bother me as I only intended to buy 5-SW in whatever set I bought anyways. If I can't get on with a 5 iron I am unlikely to get on.I think mine were $140-150 a club. A more premium shaft would have been $150. Which is cheaper than Ping or Titliest but more expensive than some other OEMs. I know. I think that Components should aim to be 75% of the cost of OEM's but apparently Wishon and clubmakers disagree. Last year I bought a set of Ping iE1's and was very disappointed in them. They just never produced for me like I wanted and I found myself drifting back to my Wishon 752TC's. I like that sort of medium sized cavity head. I don't know why the iE1's didn't seem to work, the heads are the perfect size and shape, but I hated swinging them. The Sterling are exactly the size and cavity I was looking for. Even their offset seems perfect for me. Sorry if I missed it, but where did you get them? And do they offer 5-8 in same length and revert back to normal length for 9-gw?

3oneday
30th November 2016, 06:06 PM
They are all same length and weight, that's the whole point.

From what I am reading, Wishon created Stirling?

Daves
30th November 2016, 06:24 PM

Sterling partnered with Wishon who are the Manufacturer.

And I agree, why change the formula? It is all about all the irons feeling them same to swing/hit. If you don't like the one length concept, the alternative is MOI Matching.

As I play my irons 1.5" to 2.0" over, I can say I have no fear of a 7iron length PW.

Oldplayer
30th November 2016, 06:31 PM

Correct. Plenty of info over at Golfwrx.

dM.
30th November 2016, 06:32 PM
So, managed to get a look at the new cobras a few weeks back - look great. As for the number side of things very consistent and a longer GW is surprisingly easy to hit and goes about the right yardage.

One thing I'd note is definitely err on the side of a higher launching shaft as this is particularly important with the stronger lofted club, noticed them launching a touch lower then normal.

Some really nice reviews out on these (the tubes)with some good and odd numbers to boot (Rick's super small gapping between 5-6 but then closer to normal gapping between 4-5 seems odd).

Set ordered.

Oldplayer
30th November 2016, 07:31 PM
Tom Wishon talks about his single length irons in this thread http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1407818-single-length-clubs-where-do-we-go-from-here/

perci
30th November 2016, 08:01 PM
Didn't Tommy Armour do this in the 80s ?

Oldplayer
30th November 2016, 08:06 PM
Didn't Tommy Armour do this in the 80s ?
Yes they were called Equal (not sure how they spelled it. It was a massive flop and it sent them broke. There have been other attempts also, at least 3or 4 that have also not caught on.

solarbear
1st December 2016, 08:49 AM
Yes they were called Equal (not sure how they spelled it. It was a massive flop and it sent them broke. There have been other attempts also, at least 3or 4 that have also not caught on.

I think why the Cobra and Wishon irons are being so much better received is that the current technology allows for such hot faces on the longer irons that the gapping his heaps better. Not to mention all the improvements in shaft tech, which I think also makes it more viable.

rubin
1st December 2016, 11:39 AM

I think why the Cobra and Wishon irons are being so much better received is that the current technology allows for such hot faces on the longer irons that the gapping his heaps better. Not to mention all the improvements in shaft tech, which I think also makes it more viable.

Probably helps that there is also a bloke on tour doing alright with them now.

Steve57
1st December 2016, 12:38 PM
Probably helps that there is also a bloke on tour doing alright with them on tour now.

I agree Rubin and would suggest that this is the only reason that they have raised their head again!

3oneday
1st December 2016, 01:47 PM
It certainly wouldn't be being discussed without him.

solarbear
1st December 2016, 02:33 PM
It certainly wouldn't be being discussed without him.

Probably not. I know seeing someone playing good golf with them helped convince me to give them a try.

Once he won the NCAA tournament and the Amateur title Pinhawks at Valuegolf sold out.

Oldplayer
1st December 2016, 08:06 PM
Bryson Chamblee certainly has created interest with his equipment preferences (it's not just the irons that are different) but his clubs are built around the way he wants to swing and not the other way around. His ideas are very technical and by no means mirror traditional and even current ideas on the swing and the game. His equipment is purpose built to aid implementation of his theories so may be an anathema to your everyday player.

3Puttpete
2nd December 2016, 12:11 AM
Sorry if I missed it, but where did you get them? And do they offer 5-8 in same length and revert back to normal length for 9-gw?

https://www.equsgolf.com/

daMANiack
11th December 2016, 11:24 AM
Hi,

I'm a club maker in Adelaide and recently made a set of TW Sterling 5-Pw, Gw and Sw with TT XP95 S300 shafts for myself but as my pennant season was about to start, decided to continue to game my Callaway Apex Forged irons.

I decided to make them 36.25" long, 5-9 D2 SW, PW-SW D3. With this combo, I found I needed virtually no shaft tip weighting. As my preference is Taper Tip shafts for consistency, I used #7 TT XP95 S300 taper shafts and tip cut 1/2", then butt cut to length.

I'm awaiting a Sterling #4 iron head to arrive, on back order.

During a couple range and on course sessions I had, I was very impressed with the Sterling irons, similar gapping with my Apex Forged and very easy to hit.

If anyone wants to show interest in case I decide to sell, let me know, iron set is a good 9.5/10 in condition.

Cheerz :) :D ;)

3oneday
19th December 2016, 08:57 AM
I stuck together a set of i-win 5 to wedge heads at 37" in length.

Played 6 holes last night. First impressions are the opposite of what I would have thought in that I find the longer 8, 9 and wedge easier to hit than the 5 iron. The longer length of the traditional "short" irons seemed to make me swing a bit smoother than usual for the same results.

It felt like the 5 iron was shorter than normal distance wise and on one occasion I hit half a dozen 5 irons and then grabbed a 7 and almost hit it the same length.

I plan to take my traditional 5, 7 and 9 irons along for a hit to compare in the next couple of days.

I was thinking of grabbing the longer irons when Cobra release their same length forged, but after the first time out I feel the longer shorter irons are easier to play than I thought they would be.

Captain Nemo
19th December 2016, 09:21 AM
I know it's probably not feasible for you but did you adjust all the weights and lies?
I'd assume that would make a bit of a difference?

3oneday
19th December 2016, 09:34 AM
I-win are a cheapy version component L, all heads are the same weight.

http://www.valuegolf.com/integra-i-win-single-length-iron-heads

Captain Nemo
19th December 2016, 09:57 AM
Fair enough.
What shafts do you use?
I wonder if there's merit using px flighted or the like to get the lower lofted heads working a bit better?

3oneday
19th December 2016, 10:04 AM
I just went with some 125 grams steel shafts to start with, didn't want to waste a heap of cash really on an experiment.

I note that Cobra are using a KBS FL shaft, I assume that's flighted.

solarbear
19th December 2016, 10:05 AM
Tbh I had the same thing happening when I first bought my Sterlings. Took about 3 range sessions and the gapping and ball flight seemed to normalise. Just assumed it was my below avearge swing.

Probably my clubhead speed but the 5 and 6 iron come off lower and don't spin much. They seem quite long though. 6i used to be my 150 club but now its going 155-165. Odd cause the loft is similar to my old irons.

Edit... Actually, upon further investigation, the 5 and 6 are 4 degres stronger so it all makes sense.

petethepilot
19th December 2016, 03:51 PM
Keep us updated guys!
The concept is interesting!

highballin
2nd January 2017, 10:55 AM
Any more feedback fellas

The more I read the more I want to give these a try. Might be my 2017 purchase

http://wishongolf.com/technology/information-and-qa-about-single-length-irons/

3Puttpete
2nd January 2017, 10:59 AM
Played with a bloke yesterday who had some. Loves them

3oneday
3rd January 2017, 08:30 AM
Played a comp round and shot 9 over after one practice round, with a triple in there too.

Shot 6 over with my normal irons on satdy.

I felt I swung harder with the long irons and smoother with the "shorter" ones.

Not sure I'll go back to them. Probably sell them eventually, if anyone is keen to buy a cheap version before splashing out more give me a yell. $200 plus post.

highballin
4th January 2017, 07:55 PM
More info for those interested

http://www.tutelman.com/golf/clubs/singleLength1.php

http://www.tutelman.com/golf/clubs/singleLength2.php

dM.
9th February 2017, 05:39 PM
Had my set of King Forged One length arrive, my suggestions make sure that you fit a shaft to them that launches a little higher - defintely helps with the lower side of the bag (4,5 Irons) to get them in the air. I paired my set with the modus 130's.

perci
8th June 2017, 05:52 PM
Picked up a set of Cobra Forged Ones , look and feel nice to swing but haven't hit them yet , anyone else tried or Gaming them ?

Matt 3 Jab
8th June 2017, 05:55 PM
Theres a cheap set on ebay. Regular shafts 5 to gap for $375

oldracer
8th June 2017, 05:59 PM
No but really really keen to give em a whack, what iron length are they Perci and what set makeup you get???

Courty
8th June 2017, 06:01 PM
Picked up a set of Cobra Forged Ones , look and feel nice to swing but haven't hit them yet , anyone else tried or Gaming them ?

Not me, but Solarman is keen to find a set to try. Can you give him dibs on yours?

3oneday
8th June 2017, 06:17 PM
You'd have to give them a month to properly decide I reckon.

I crack me up.

perci
8th June 2017, 06:17 PM
No but really really keen to give em a whack, what iron length are they Perci and what set makeup you get???

4 to Gap , 37.3/4" 62* with KBS 110 TF Regs hard stepped once !

oldracer
8th June 2017, 07:11 PM
So between 5-6 iron???

markTHEblake
8th June 2017, 09:37 PM
Bryson Chamblee certainly has created interest with his equipment preferences (it's not just the irons that are different) but his clubs are built around the way he wants to swing and not the other way around.

Has anyone notice Brysons irons statistics, there was a report on this a few months ago. he ranks very highly for mid irons, like top 10
But for long irons and short irons he ranks welll over 100th on the pga tour. So single length irons are working very well for him, as long as he has a 6 iron in his hand.

oldracer
8th June 2017, 09:51 PM

solarman
9th June 2017, 08:52 AM
I'm having a fitting trail on the 18th here with Cobra while they are in town..
Pretty keen as my back is not the best and when I hit shorter clubs I can tend to fall into the ball a bit.
Hoping they are ok and I can buy a 4-GW set. If anyone has any, I would be keen to buy most likely.

solarman
9th June 2017, 09:55 AM
Just went into the bay and punched in "one length irons" and there are brands there I have never even heard of.

Captain Nemo
9th June 2017, 11:15 AM
Bit like when your on redtube eh Bob?Too much choice....? 🤣

solarman
9th June 2017, 11:24 AM
Bit like when your on redtube eh Bob?Too much choice....? 藍

Now now....have you been cyber snooping on me again. You know I like llama's.

Dcanto
9th June 2017, 12:36 PM
http://assets.vogue.com/photos/5891c91a58aa89a00d545c77/master/pass/01-not-funny-llama.jpg