PDA

View Full Version : Being fitted for golf clubs - whats your experience

YonexMan
22nd July 2016, 10:33 AM
Just wondering what other golfers experiences have been with being fitted for golf clubs.

No need to mention the fitter. Just thought it would be interesting to know your experience, what you thought of the price. How the clubs are performing after the "honeymoon period" and if you thought it was worth it.

There are certainly different "levels" of being fitted these days.

Some franchise golf shops, whilst they have the launch monitors, they don't have the fitting carts and can only offer the standard shaft sets that come with the golf clubs you are being fitted for. Optional shafts , which may well fit you better, are not available to be tested.

Whilst other fitters are backyard operators who, whilst they may have the knowledge, - don't have the club head range or shaft range for you to try.

Then there are the golf course pro shops with the proper fitting carts and launch monitors.

Then there are fitters, where you walk in and their business is like a Golf "candy store" , where they have all the heads from the manufacturers - or at least the majority on offer, as well as more shafts than the eye can see - with some shafts that I've never seen before.

Personally I have been to all four types of fitters I have mentioned above and the experiences varied.

For me - my comments are based around the opinion that I should be able to have a fitting where the fitter has no bias towards current golfing trends, or shaft brand or to any particular manufacturers clubs/heads. I should also be able to use the ball that I normally use when I play. Otherwise there is really no comparison when I have to use range balls. I should be able to test a variety of shafts and club heads and see the results on a lunch monitor and there should be no questions left unanswered or "side stepped" by the fitter. that is no "secret squirrel" stuff. Or answers of "just trust me" or "no we won't try that - it won't work for you - I just know".

Found that the backyard small operators - though they have some knowledge, they really don't and can't offer a great fitting. The ones I have been too, have club head brands based on the fact that those manufacturers are happy to sell them, just the heads and not force them to buy complete clubs. So you really don't get to try the latest offerings from the big names to truly see which club head/shaft combination gives you the best distance/dispersion/accuracy etc etc. Also, whilst both had launch monitors, one was based at a driving range - great in that you get to see real ball flight - but not great in that I had to use range balls or at best beaten up real golf balls of all different brands. Plus the price - was through the roof and really quite ridiculous. Also with one of the fitters, it was like everything was a secret. Asked questions - but never really got a straight answer. Looked at the laptop screen at the launch monitor results and it appeared to me that some shots had been removed from the screen - and I'm not talking about miss-hits.

The franchises were better with being able to hit anything in the shop and use my own golf ball on their launch monitors. With the only drawback being that there was just a little uncertainty about the standard stock offering shafts not quite being the best fit. That said - the service was great. though, I know they don't like you coming in to just "try out" a club. They expect you to buy, otherwise, won't put you through a fitting. Personally, I'd be happy to pay a few dollars to "try" some clubs and be happy to find out that what I have is fine. With paying a few dollars - thus removing the "have to buy" expectation. The only thing to watch for here was that they all use face tape of some sort - which will distort ball flight as it reduces spin rates.

Golf club Pro - great experience here. being able to hit off grass with the irons being fitted instead of a range mat is a big thing and see that launch monitor numbers with real ball flight. Having the fitting cart as well ensured that the right shaft was fitted up. Great deal on price as well and excellent service. Also able to use real golf balls. The range setup is a free small driving range at the club and you have to go pick up the balls yourself and take them back to the pro shop. So able to use the ball that I normally use on the course as well.

Big fitters...
Yep - the candy store. Best fitting experience and worth the money I paid for both the fitting time and the clubs (woods). Yes - it was expensive. But after the honeymoon period, the clubs are still performing and in fact, the numbers I get in later testing on my own launch monitor and the on course results are even better than what the fitting showed. Which is, as we all know, a confidence thing with the clubs. Service was great - free drinks and coffee etc and no hiding of information with all questions being answered. No face tape being used and real golf ball that I use was also used for all testing. Also being that I had travelled 6 hours to be fitted, they built the clubs overnight for me and I was able to pick them up the next morning to take home.

Wenz
22nd July 2016, 10:43 AM
You get what you pay for

CeeAy
22nd July 2016, 10:48 AM
Good read YonexMan - thanks. As a beginner, I'll be interested to see other people's thoughts.

YonexMan
22nd July 2016, 11:57 AM
You get what you pay for

Wenz..

Yes and no. When I first saw the "backyard" guy, it was on recommendation from a few teaching Pro's.

I really didn't know much about clubs at all at the time, nor about club building, spine matching, shafts, heads etc.

Whilst I have no issue with the build quality. The total price is another thing. I should have listened to that "little voice" going off in my head at the time and just walked away. But was persuaded at the time by someone talking the talk and me really thinking in the end, that I was doing the right thing. But the clubs that were purchased - the same clubs with the same shafts could have been purchased through Drummond for example, at about one third of the price that I got charged. The reason I was given was build quality, shaft matching, spine alignment etc.

But in the end - realising that I got ripped off by a good marketing ploy, I then did my research to not be ripped off again.

mrbluu
22nd July 2016, 12:32 PM
Wenz..

Yes and no. When I first saw the "backyard" guy, it was on recommendation from a few teaching Pro's.

I really didn't know much about clubs at all at the time, nor about club building, spine matching, shafts, heads etc.

Whilst I have no issue with the build quality. The total price is another thing. I should have listened to that "little voice" going off in my head at the time and just walked away. But was persuaded at the time by someone talking the talk and me really thinking in the end, that I was doing the right thing. But the clubs that were purchased - the same clubs with the same shafts could have been purchased through Drummond for example, at about one third of the price that I got charged. The reason I was given was build quality, shaft matching, spine alignment etc.

But in the end - realising that I got ripped off by a good marketing ploy, I then did my research to not be ripped off again.

I would have thought the small operator would have been one of the cheaper options??

Dotty
22nd July 2016, 12:44 PM
I would have thought the small operator would have been one of the cheaper options??
Only the one that works for a six pack of Peroni and a half kilo of BBQ pork.

mrbluu
22nd July 2016, 01:09 PM
Only the one that works for a six pack of Peroni and a half kilo of BBQ pork.
Booyah!!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Dotty
22nd July 2016, 01:42 PM
It all depends on knowing what you need/want/like.

The best that I've had is a loan set from a mate for a fortnight, then discussion with the club pro, an OEM demo night at the range for off the shelf shaft/head options and finally a length and lie fitting with the club pro.

I've had a couple of single club Pureform fittings, which I was hoping to find the ultimate club for me. Great experience and knowledge gained, but not a club to justify the sticker price or uncomfortable look/feel. (Incidentally, two years down the track of trial and error, I've ended up something very similar to what they recommended, but changed enough for me to live with.)

Most of my bag is second-hand/superceded stuff from a 'golf department store' in the local home-maker centre, where I can hit balls with a monitor that tells me if I can get enough spin to keep it in the air. (I need spin, so the latest and greatest models mentioned in Golf Digest ads and major winner speeches don't work for me.)

3oneday
23rd July 2016, 07:59 AM
Ebay does good fitting.