PDA

View Full Version : 2006 FIFA World Cup

Pages : [1] 2

Courty
22nd May 2006, 02:55 PM
Hi all,

I am running a tipping comp for the 2006 FIFA World Cup which is commencing mid next month.
If you are interested PM me your email, or send an email to 2006worldcuptipping@gmail.com, and I'll send you the details.

Courty

PS. Hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by posting this in here. :-s

AndyP
22nd May 2006, 03:02 PM
That's it, your outta here.....nope, can't see what forum rules you are breaking. Why don't you list the details here?

Courty
22nd May 2006, 03:08 PM
1. Entry is $10. More than one entry per person is permitted, but each additional entry costs $10.
2. Payment must be received by 5pm on Friday, 9th June otherwise entry will be null & void.
3. Picks for Stage 1 must also be received by 5pm AEST on the date of the match.
4. Picks for all matches in the Round of 16 must be received by 5pm AEST on Saturday, 24th June.
5. Picks for all matches in the Quarter-finals must be received by 5pm AEST on Friday, 30th June.
6. Picks for all matches in the Semi-finals must be received by 5pm AEST on Tuesday, 4th July.
7. Picks for the Third Place match must be received by 5pm AEST on Saturday, 8th July.
8. Picks for the World Cup Final match must be received by 5pm AEST on Sunday, 9th July.
9. If picks are not received in time, picks will be allocated based on reverse alphabetical order. Eg. If the two teams playing were Brazil & Togo, then Togo would be the pick allocated.
9. During Stage 1, points are allocated as follows:
Pick Result Points
Win Win 2
Win Loss 0
Win Draw* 1
Draw* Draw* 3
Draw* Other 0
* Draws are only possible during Stage 1 of the tournament.
10. Prizes are allocated as follows:
Winner 40% of prize pool 2nd place 25% of prize pool 3rd place 10% of prize pool Minor Premier (leader at end of Stage 1) 10% of prize pool Lucky Draw (major prize winners ineligible)10% of prize pool
11. In the event of ties, prize pots will be split between the winners. Eg. 2 people tied for 1st, Winner & 2nd place prizes will be split evenly.
12. At the completion of Stage 1 and then each round, an updated Picks spreadsheet will be emailed with updated competitors for the following rounds.
13. Results will be updated daily & emailed to all competitors.

Email 2006worldcuptipping@gmail.com to enter and receive your spreadsheet for picking.

Courty
23rd May 2006, 01:43 PM
Just picked up my Socceroos jersey today. Along with a T-shirt for my (Italian) father-in-law which says "It's not Soccer, mate!" on the front, and "It's football!" on the back. :mrgreen:

Will anyone else be getting up at Sparrow fart to watch these matches?

3oneday
23rd May 2006, 01:49 PM
Will anyone else be getting up at Sparrow fart to watch these matches?cricket ???

Jarro
23rd May 2006, 02:55 PM

nope.

bunch of bloody shirtlifters those soccer boys :smt087

Courty
23rd May 2006, 02:58 PM
bunch of bloody shirtlifters those soccer boys :smt087

I agree in a way. I hate all the diving and rolling around like your leg has been blown off. But you've gotta get behind the Aussie boys in their first expedition to the World Cup in over 30 years!

Jarro
23rd May 2006, 03:01 PM
you're right Courty.

I don't follow the soccer at all, but when the Aussies play, well that's a different matter 8)

hey, did i hear rightly that the guy from a_r_s_e_n_a_l (Henry i think his name is ) just signed a new contract for $300,000 a week :shock:

Courty
23rd May 2006, 03:01 PM
Everyone was all over this subject when the Aussies were trying to qualify: http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3033

3oneday
23rd May 2006, 03:15 PM
Yep, same apathy then as now !!!!

connico
23rd May 2006, 04:47 PM
ill watch them in the morning, im up that early anyhows unless im sleeping off an hang over. Still watching soccer without beer and chips and by yourself is like watching...umm cant think of anything as bad to watch without mates...lol screaming at the Tv by yourself sucks really...unless your on the ****..

CobraSS
24th May 2006, 02:53 PM
I intend to watch every match possible either live or courtesy of my yet to be purchased HDD video recorder.

Also I will be in this tipping comp of yours, email on the way.

Trung
8th June 2006, 04:50 AM
i'm ficken EXCITED :mrgreen: :smt118 :smt038 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026

Fishman Dan
8th June 2006, 06:19 AM
I'm still lamenting not buying your Topfield box Courty... for this very reason. I've been pricing new ones, they are no longer a current model but Bing Lee have a couple left that they have discounted, but i'm getting the guilts from the missus!

Courty
8th June 2006, 07:05 AM
I'm still lamenting not buying your Topfield box Courty... for this very reason. I've been pricing new ones, they are no longer a current model but Bing Lee have a couple left that they have discounted, but i'm getting the guilts from the missus!

Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it!

terryand
8th June 2006, 07:21 AM

I'm waiting for the new HD one with twin tuners to come down in price a bit, then I'll pull the trigger.For some reason they didn't make HD PVR's until recently.

Terry.

BrisVegas
8th June 2006, 08:09 AM
I'm waiting for the new HD one with twin tuners to come down in price a bit, then I'll pull the trigger.For some reason they didn't make HD PVR's until recently.

Terry.

You and me both! Maybe we should suss out a group buy? Do we know anyone in the consumer electronics business that can get us an outrageously good price????

PRC
10th June 2006, 09:07 PM
Germans looked good, I don't understand why the papers would be critical of a 4-2 win. The goals they gave up had a strong suspicion of offside.
Ecuador look a solid but unspectacular team.

Maybe before Australia's first match they should all watch Kokoda, should fire the boys up.

goughy
11th June 2006, 08:22 AM
There's still not that much hd content around these days.

Go the topfield models - they have lots of taps (mini programs) that people write to add functionality to the units. Tons of stuff, and much of it free. Apparently the operating system for the toppys is open source.

Jarro
12th June 2006, 03:04 PM
Who's staying up late tonight to watch us take on the Japs ???

I am for sure 8)

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE !!!

3oneday
12th June 2006, 03:59 PM
Who's staying up late tonight to watch us take on the Japs ???

I am for sure 8)

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE !!!
what time is it ???

oh, that's right, someone is on holidays aren't they :p :p

Courty
12th June 2006, 04:17 PM
I'll be up for sure. I'm considering getting up to watch the Italy match at 4:30 also.

AndyP
12th June 2006, 04:42 PM
I'm going to try to. I'm a bit knackered from staying up to watch the Federer/Nadal match last night.

Courty
12th June 2006, 05:05 PM
Tennis. :roll:

goughy
12th June 2006, 06:10 PM
I might watch the last 2 episodes of season 2 of lost!

Courty
12th June 2006, 06:55 PM
Already seen them. They ask a lot more questions than they answer...

billybaub
12th June 2006, 07:40 PM
Just picked up my Socceroos jersey today. Along with a T-shirt for my (Italian) father-in-law which says "It's not Soccer, mate!" on the front, and "It's football!" on the back. :mrgreen:

No need to get up early to watch them

Im flying over to germany... got tickets to the last 16 match in Cologne. Hopefully France vs. Spain or Ukraine

Jarro
12th June 2006, 09:49 PM
does anyone else think that Stephanie Brantz on SBS is a hottie :smt023 :smt047 :smt016

3oneday
12th June 2006, 09:55 PM
Who ?? better turn it on and look I suppose ;)

Jarro
12th June 2006, 11:15 PM
i know that Japanese goal shouldn't have been allowed, but we look like we're incapable of scoring a goal ourselves :-s

AndyP
12th June 2006, 11:42 PM
Wooooooohoooooooooooo! 1-1

One more will be nice.

AndyP
12th June 2006, 11:47 PM
2-1 up. Oi! Oi! Oi!

andylo
12th June 2006, 11:48 PM
Cahill Rocks!

andylo
12th June 2006, 11:50 PM
3-1 :)

AndyP
12th June 2006, 11:50 PM
3 goals in 10 minutes, after not being able to put it in all match.
****ing unbelievable!

Hooray for Aussie Guus!

andylo
12th June 2006, 11:51 PM
YEAH! WE WON THE GAME AGAINST JAPANESE!!!!

Man I have tears in my eye :)

Jarro
12th June 2006, 11:52 PM
great effort from the boys late in the match :)

fitness really was the difference, the Japs were knackered and our boys full of running 8)

3oneday
12th June 2006, 11:55 PM
what a win, bloody pleased too, given I have to work tomorrow :lol:

sorry, today....

Trung
12th June 2006, 11:57 PM
GUS is GOD

Moe Norman
12th June 2006, 11:58 PM
i wonder if emergency rooms are overun with heart patients?!

that was bloody sen bloody sational!

i woke the entire nighbourhood up 3 times in 8 minutes!

Jarro
13th June 2006, 12:00 AM
why the hell didn't Gus bring Cahill on earlier ????

That was the turning point.

Jono
13th June 2006, 12:00 AM
We deserved to win that match. Should have been 3-0. The Japs were playing counterstrike football all match.

AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE ...

Jono
13th June 2006, 12:12 AM

That was the turning point.

Perhaps he was waiting for the right time? Kennedy, Cahill, and Aloisi really tore the Japanese defense apart in the last 10 minutes ...

Trung
13th June 2006, 12:22 AM
Fresh legs... All fast and physical players.... GUS IS A LEGEND

Moe Norman
13th June 2006, 12:36 AM

That was the turning point. wouldn't have been as exciting!

terryand
13th June 2006, 04:46 AM
does anyone else think that Stephanie Brantz on SBS is a hottie :smt023 :smt047 :smt016

Agreed mate.I knew her about 12 or so years ago when she was 16-17 playing indoor netball at the indoor cricket centre I played at. She was a stunner then too.

Oh yeah....Go Aussies.....

Terry.

3oneday
13th June 2006, 06:33 AM
i woke the entire nighbourhood up 3 times in 8 minutes!that about sums up probably half of Australia, the other half were already watching :)

goughy
13th June 2006, 06:36 AM
I only saw about 20mins of the game - just after the japan goal. Didn't look like the aussies were gonna do it. There attacking seemed lacklustre. Wish I'd not fallen asleep.

Now for the draw against brazil. (but I'll take a win)

Grunt
13th June 2006, 06:51 AM
I couldn't last past 10, the 6 hour drive home yesterday got me. I will have to wait until 5 tonight to watch the replay.

amanda
13th June 2006, 07:16 AM
My gosh it was an exciting night - Brad was a naysayer - stating that we didn't have a chance.

Since China didn't make it to the finals, our building was dead quiet - we woke up a few neighbours with celebration cheers.

Did anyone else have problems getting to sleep last night/this morning? I'm feeling very tired right now.

3oneday
13th June 2006, 07:29 AM
My gosh it was an exciting night - Brad was a naysayer - stating that we didn't have a chance.

Since China didn't make it to the finals, our building was dead quiet - we woke up a few neighbours with celebration cheers.

Did anyone else have problems getting to sleep last night/this morning? I'm feeling very tired right now.Yeah, last look at the clock was 1.30.... got up at 5.30 to come to work....

yuck

Jarro
13th June 2006, 07:35 AM
ahhhhhhh, just woke up.

man i love holidays 8)

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE !!!!!!!!!!!

Ona
13th June 2006, 08:37 AM
had to take the morning off. feels like i broke a rib i was shouting that loud.

Toolish
13th June 2006, 08:52 AM
Mrs nearly killed me when I woke her up after first goal...

Never thought I would get that excited about soccer :D

Courty
13th June 2006, 10:11 AM
Yeehaaa!
3 goals in 6 minutes. If they can keep that strike rate up in the next few games, we might end up with the Golden Boot winner!

Trung
13th June 2006, 11:10 AM
Last week on Sportsbet the Aussies were paying $81 to win the Cup.
This morning they are paying $41.

its a joke.. any true football fan knows that it should be 4100/1

Jarro
13th June 2006, 12:03 PM
big test this sunday though

PeteyD
13th June 2006, 01:00 PM
I reckon they will draw this weekend.

Choppa
13th June 2006, 02:28 PM
So do you think a draw from either of the next 2 games will get us through?

AndyP
13th June 2006, 02:42 PM
At least a draw against Croatia would be more important, as that match could be the one that decides second. And it may come down to goal difference.
They could still miss out if they drew both games.

That extra goal at the end of the Japan match may be very handy.

Grunt
13th June 2006, 04:31 PM
Heard on the radio this afternoon that Brazil V Croatia is the vital game for us. If Brazil don't win that one they will have all guns blazing against us. If they win we may even be able to snatch a draw and get a chance at winning the group.

connico
13th June 2006, 04:45 PM
Yeah that would be right, Brazil if they beat Croatia with Croatia not scoring and we get a draw on them, it will be up to the goal count. So to seal the deal we need to score against Brazil and possiblity draw with Croatia. Ofcourse we could just beat all three in the group...but we arnt talking about the best case but the worst case.

Moe Norman
13th June 2006, 07:05 PM
if Brazil beat Croatia and us it could be spolit, because then they will likely rest their better players against Japan as they are already through and give the japs a sniff.

I remember this happened in 1998 to one of the heavyweights, another side effectively threw a match to put them out.

PRC
13th June 2006, 08:12 PM
Someone was telling me Brazil have never won their first game of a World Cup, if that's true let's hope it changes for this one. The Croatian's supposedly aren't that strong a side so we're in with a good shot of round 2. Where we run into the Italians or the Czechs.
But after years of being a Socceroo tragic, today was a great day and has made it all worthwhile.

Moe Norman
13th June 2006, 08:52 PM
the croatian tam has a few turncoat aussies in the side, so they can't be that strong.

AndyP
19th June 2006, 01:57 AM
So crook. So tired.
Go Socceroos! Yay!

Anyone else up watching this?
Fairly solid first half (0-0), with an Aussie win still possible.

Good result in the earlier game too with Croatia and Japan having a nil all draw.

AndyP
19th June 2006, 02:10 AM
Awwwww, crap.
Brazil 1-0 up, 3 min into the second half.

Courty
19th June 2006, 06:17 AM
I did get up for it. Good performance but dissapointing result in teh end. I heard on the morning news that the penalty count was 25-9. Guess whose favour it was in? :roll:

3oneday
19th June 2006, 06:21 AM
I heard on the morning news that the penalty count was 25-9. Guess whose favour it was in? :roll:Brazil are also very good at getting free kicks, I guess our reputation harms us in that regard.

Every shot at goal, except for one, seemed to be aimed at their goalie. We had our chances but the game I watched showed Brazil using a different set of skills to our guys.

Pete

connico
19th June 2006, 06:51 AM
Australias defence was solid, except for the 3rd minute second half hiccup, it was still solid through out entire game. Boys did us proud i reckon.

We just couldnt capitalise on the chances to score, but thats why brazil is one of the top teams, they applied good even pressure the entire match, except of the thier attack they are still a very strong team. the move by hiddink to use Jason Culina and Mile Sterjovski to close and negate the threat of Carlos and Cafu on the flanks was a move that would even out the procession and force brazil to go up the middle. Australia's attack just isnt as strong has brazils but man is there potential, the shot count was f'd because the ref gave away a huge amount of free kicks, but to me the entire match, we matched them shot for shot.

Bad luck australia, but your still in for a chance a win or a draw against the Crows will get us through.

Courty
19th June 2006, 07:01 AM
Brazil are also very good at getting free kicks

They didn't need to be, the ref was doing it all for them. :evil:

Courty
19th June 2006, 07:03 AM
I just heard Kewell has been reported by the match referee for his outburst after the final whistle. Don't know what was said, but Kewell's body language suggests he was telling the ref how he should have used his whistle. If anything comes out of it, Kewell could face a large fine and matches on the sideline.

Grunt
19th June 2006, 07:05 AM
Does the Japan - Croatia draw hel[p or harm our chances?

3oneday
19th June 2006, 07:09 AM
Does the Japan - Croatia draw hel[p or harm our chances?As I think someone said before, a draw or a win against Croatia sees us through to the next round.

Grunt
19th June 2006, 07:15 AM
ok
We now will be hoping Ghana smash the Yanks in their final game and we are a big chnace of going even further. The way the next round works we were due to play either Italy or Czech republic. but with Ghana beating the Czech's it has changed bigtime.

Courty
19th June 2006, 07:17 AM
It helps us. Both Croatia & Japan only get 1 point each. That leaves them 2 points behind us with 1 match left for each team in the group. Brazil should defeat Japan, leaving Brazil with 9 points and Japan on 1. If we beat Croatia, we will be on 6, if we draw, we will be on 4. Either way, we go through to the 2nd round. If we lose to Croatia, the boys will have an early shower.

Fishman Dan
19th June 2006, 09:41 AM
Draw with Croatia and Japan defeat Brazil by 3 goals sees us going home.

Now we'll see how rigged World Soccer can be!

Bruce
19th June 2006, 10:07 AM
The Ref was terrible. He looked like he was trying to "put us back on our place". He didn't let us use any physicality to pressure them at all with his netball like calls.

Of the 3 possible results on Friday - 2 of them favour us. Big chance to go on.

amanda
19th June 2006, 11:02 AM
I totally agree with Bruce - 25 free kicks to Brazil and less than a dozen to Australia.

I think I'm going to have a break from either staying up late/getting up early to watch matches - I am completely exhausted this morning after staying up until 4am. :smt015

McMw
19th June 2006, 03:59 PM

Just win against Croatia and problem solved...

I wouldn't be too comfortable if their fate was in someone elses hands...stranger things have happened!!! :-s

Jono
19th June 2006, 05:29 PM

Hey, this is soccer ... not cricket. :roll: :lol:

Moe Norman
19th June 2006, 08:45 PM
Back in Munich, the German referee Markus Merk thought Australia came from some school of South American hatchet men. Brazil, the aristocrats, seemed to be given free-kicks whenever an Australian breath blew across the pitch. Hiddink, usually studious and quiet in the dug-out, paced up and down, slapping his own cheek. The fourth official's eyes rarely left him.

nicely summarised by a pommy commentator

billybaub
19th June 2006, 09:25 PM
the refs at this cup seem to be worse than usual
its just bad

for all that are interested...centrebet has a deal at the moment
if you place $100 worth of bets on the cup, and you are a new member and sign up for a new online account, you get a voucher for rebel sport to claim any countries jersey. its a pretty good deal

ive done it and got my aussie jersey. so far ive won 30 bucks back. so a $70 australian jersey seems good to me... if you are going to sign up, make sure you put 'rebel' in the promotional code field

McCoy
20th June 2006, 05:07 AM
Couldn't believe Kewell's miss but his outburst at the referee made me forgive him. Brazil are good enough not to need an extra player on the field blowing a whistle.
Croatia haven't scored a goal yet, let's hope we can send them home without one.

connico
20th June 2006, 07:42 AM
2-0 australia over croatia, there you heard it first here

Jarro
20th June 2006, 06:23 PM
WOOHOO, Harry's been cleared for the Croatia game 8)

terryand
20th June 2006, 10:23 PM
So the fact that harry has gotten off, does that mean that fifa also believe the ref was out of line.

Terry.

Jarro
21st June 2006, 05:11 AM
So the fact that harry has gotten off, does that mean that fifa also believe the ref was out of line.

Terry.

sure sounds like it Tezza.

that penalty count was laughable :evil:

Stoney
22nd June 2006, 07:33 PM
Gents, This is the Tabsports Bet Multi for the Night.

18000 * SOCCER:WC Aust-Croat Result 23/06 Australia Win $2.40
21867 * SOCCER:WC Japan-Brazil Result 23/06 Brazil Win $1.20
21438 * SOCCER:WC CzchRp-Italy Result 22/06 Italy Win $1.95
21441 * SOCCER:WC Ghana-USA Result 22/06 Ghana Win $1.80

Paying $10.10 as at 7.30 pm - GET ALL over it

Please remember, bet with your head, not over it :-D

Moe Norman
22nd June 2006, 07:51 PM
what can you get if you remove italy?

Bruce
22nd June 2006, 09:50 PM
It's ****ing down in Melbourne right now. Might get a bit wet for those heading to Fed Square in the middle of the night.

Jarro
23rd June 2006, 03:45 AM
anybody else awake for this ?????

Trung
23rd June 2006, 03:50 AM
its 2.49pm here... i'm awake alright ......

come on socceroos......

Trung
23rd June 2006, 04:06 AM
why is KALAC in goal?

Jarro
23rd June 2006, 04:08 AM
Guus thought his extra height would be beneficial :roll:

Not a good start by the Aussies :(

Trung
23rd June 2006, 04:21 AM
Sub Viduka now......

waste of space.... Bring on Aloisi...

Jono
23rd June 2006, 04:28 AM
Viduks is tripping over his own feet! :???:

We are seeing a lot of possesion though ...

Come on Aussies ... 8)

Jarro
23rd June 2006, 04:33 AM
we just never really seem to have the strikepower when we get in a position to score.

Viduka seems rather clumsy and non-threatening there, maybe move somebody else up front ... we need some zip in the box :shock:

Trung
23rd June 2006, 04:38 AM
Goooooooooooooooooooooalllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllll

Jarro
23rd June 2006, 04:39 AM
WOOHOOO

1 all

lets go fellas :mrgreen:

Jono
23rd June 2006, 04:42 AM
Game on!

Kalac nearly fumbled an own goal ... :roll:

Trung
23rd June 2006, 04:48 AM
Brazil 0 - Japan 1 at half time :shock:

AndyP
23rd June 2006, 04:51 AM
Can we pass Brazil on Goal Difference without Japan, while winning ourselves?

Jarro
23rd June 2006, 05:37 AM
going down to the wire.

2 all with 5 minutes remaining

Jarro
23rd June 2006, 05:53 AM
Aussies through 2 all

well done boys :mrgreen:

Bring on the Italians .....

Trung
23rd June 2006, 06:00 AM
Oh yeah

3oneday
23rd June 2006, 06:18 AM
What happened with our usual goalie ???

In the city here it is going OFFFFFFFFF !!!!!!

thanks jarro for the sms score updates

connico
23rd June 2006, 06:21 AM
go australia!!!

1-4 brazil as well!!!

Moe Norman
23rd June 2006, 06:40 AM
Game on!

Kalac nearly fumbled an own goal ... :roll: he nearly did once, but he made sure of it the second time!

who cares though?

draw or win had the same outcome for us!

AndyP
23rd June 2006, 07:23 AM
Next match against Italy on Tuesday, 1am (our time). I'm tired just thinking about it.

As soon as the Aussies get 2-0 up, I might start flicking over to Wimbledon.

miro
23rd June 2006, 07:38 AM
Walked down George St Sydney at 7:55am this morning and hour after the game finished. Bumper to bumper traffic, people everywhere, aussie jerseys on everyone, car horns blaring, singing, chanting. Just a wonderful moment to be a citizen of the worlds greatest country.

I come from a land down under!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

PeteyD
23rd June 2006, 07:40 AM
Guus to the semi's 3 world cups in a row

Fishman Dan
23rd June 2006, 07:41 AM
Are we getting these ref's for a specific reason? That was astonishing :shock: More hands on the ball than the Carlton midfield!

Hard to say we deserved the win, but we deserve to be in the Final 16 more than any other team. Group F - Group of FEAR my ar$e!

Ok - How much for a nude-run down Norton St Tuesday morning, painted in gold?

3oneday
23rd June 2006, 07:41 AM
How happy is Guus you reckon, $800K bonus for the final 16 !!!!

miro
23rd June 2006, 07:48 AM
I hear there is much more than $800k involved -via Mr Westfield himself.

Moe Norman
23rd June 2006, 07:50 AM
i'm going to run down park road nude if we beat italy.

Courty
23rd June 2006, 08:03 AM
Is there such a thing as an impartial referee? Or a competent one?
Against Brazil we get a biased official. Against Croatia, we get one who can't see 2 feet in front of his face. How else do you explain him not calling 2 handballs in the penalty area and a rugby-style tackle? And what's up with Simunic? There was conjecture that he may have received 2 yellows and stayed on the pitch until he got a 3rd right at the death... If true, then the referee can't count either!
The only other possible explanation is that the referee had his own personal agenda. I have heard that the FIFA powers-that-be prefer the traditional powerhouses nations to progress and have directed the referees to favour these teams. Have we seen evidence of this today?

I don't want to put a damper on Australia's fantastic success, but these past few matches have reminded me why I gave following soccer. :evil:

Bring on Italy and impartial officiating!

Go Aussies!

PeteyD
23rd June 2006, 08:05 AM
i'm going to run down park road nude if we beat italy.

Good thing I live bayside then ;)

Courty
23rd June 2006, 08:18 AM
Socceroos say some funny things:

from FoxSports.com (http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19553636-5004540,00.html)

"My parents have been there for me, ever since I was about 7." - Tim Cahill

"I would not be bothered if we lost every game as long as we won the league." - Mark Viduka.

"Guus Hiddink is the best manager I've ever had at this level. Well, he's the only manager I've actually had at this level. But he's the best manager I've ever had." - Lucas Neill.

"If you don't believe you can win, there is no point in getting out of bed at the end of the day." - John Aloisi.

"I've had 14 bookings this season - 8 of which were my fault, but 7 of which were disputable." - Ned Zelic.

"I've never wanted to leave. I'm here for the rest of my life, and hopefully after that as well." - Mark Schwarzer.

"I'd like to play for an Italian club, like Barcelona." - Vince Grella.

"You've got to believe that you're going to win, and I believe we'll win the World Cup until the final whistle blows and we're knocked out." - Harry Kewell.

"I'm as happy as I can be - but I have been happier." - Mile Sterjovski.

"Leeds is a great club and it's been my home for years, even though I live in Middlesborough." - Mark Viduka.

"I can see the carrot at the end of the tunnel." - Craig Moore.

"I took a whack on my left ankle, but something told me it was my right." - Harry Kewell.

"I couldn't settle in Italy- it was like living in a foreign country." - Vince Grella.

"Germany is a very difficult team to play . . . they have 11 internationals out there." - Zeljko Kalac.

"I always used to put my right boot on first, and then obviously my right sock." - Jason Culina.

"The Brazilians were South American, and the Ukrainians will be more European." - Scott Chipperfield.

"All that remains is for a few dots and commas to be crossed." - Marco Bresciano.

"One accusation you can't throw at me is that I've always done my best." - Craig Moore.

"I'd rather play in front of a full house than an empty crowd." - Mark Viduka.

"Sometimes in football you have to score goals." - Harry Kewell.

Trung
23rd June 2006, 08:30 AM
Guus was given honorary Korean citizenship after the 2002 WC... Maybe calling him an Aussie isn't a bad idea...

Where is John Howard? Maybe we should start a petition.. :mrgreen:

Moe Norman
23rd June 2006, 09:01 AM
JH is on his morning walk, but he's substituted his wallaby tracksuit for a brand new socceroos tracksuit.

last I heard he was on the ground clutching at his calf after a raindrop hit it.

3oneday
23rd June 2006, 09:03 AM
So, why didn't schwarzer play ???

Courty
23rd June 2006, 09:04 AM
So, why didn't schwarzer play ???

Hiddink put Kalac in as Kalac is taller and (supposedly) better equiped to handle the taller Croatian attacking players.

Not one of Hiddinks smartest moves.

After that performance, I doubt we'll see much of Kalac again in this tournament. :roll:

Flowergirl
23rd June 2006, 10:21 AM
Socceroos say some funny things:

from FoxSports.com (http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19553636-5004540,00.html)

"My parents have been there for me, ever since I was about 7." - Tim Cahill

"I would not be bothered if we lost every game as long as we won the league." - Mark Viduka.

"Guus Hiddink is the best manager I've ever had at this level. Well, he's the only manager I've actually had at this level. But he's the best manager I've ever had." - Lucas Neill.

"If you don't believe you can win, there is no point in getting out of bed at the end of the day." - John Aloisi.

"I've had 14 bookings this season - 8 of which were my fault, but 7 of which were disputable." - Ned Zelic.

"I've never wanted to leave. I'm here for the rest of my life, and hopefully after that as well." - Mark Schwarzer.

"I'd like to play for an Italian club, like Barcelona." - Vince Grella.

"You've got to believe that you're going to win, and I believe we'll win the World Cup until the final whistle blows and we're knocked out." - Harry Kewell.

"I'm as happy as I can be - but I have been happier." - Mile Sterjovski.

"Leeds is a great club and it's been my home for years, even though I live in Middlesborough." - Mark Viduka.

"I can see the carrot at the end of the tunnel." - Craig Moore.

"I took a whack on my left ankle, but something told me it was my right." - Harry Kewell.

"I couldn't settle in Italy- it was like living in a foreign country." - Vince Grella.

"Germany is a very difficult team to play . . . they have 11 internationals out there." - Zeljko Kalac.

"I always used to put my right boot on first, and then obviously my right sock." - Jason Culina.

"The Brazilians were South American, and the Ukrainians will be more European." - Scott Chipperfield.

"All that remains is for a few dots and commas to be crossed." - Marco Bresciano.

"One accusation you can't throw at me is that I've always done my best." - Craig Moore.

"I'd rather play in front of a full house than an empty crowd." - Mark Viduka.

"Sometimes in football you have to score goals." - Harry Kewell.

These are jokes right. You're not telling me these are real quotes:shock:

Courty
23rd June 2006, 10:30 AM
These are jokes right. You're not telling me these are real quotes:shock:

Nope. These are actual quotes. I suspect that most of them are out of context and were probably corrected by the quotee immediately.
Then again, they are footballers not rocket scientists. :D

Fishman Dan
23rd June 2006, 12:51 PM
Looking back, we had to get through this game. With all the momentum soccer has gained during the World Cup, if we failed to go any further (largely due to poor officiating), I reckon most bandwagon supporters would hop straight off again.

Gutsy effort. I had a Socceroo strength coffee this morning.

Grunt
23rd June 2006, 01:47 PM
It will be great to see how the A1 League runs off this great result. It will be in playing friendlies almost straight after the cup.

Choppa
23rd June 2006, 02:52 PM
I reckon most bandwagon supporters would hop straight off again.

Yes I would have...can't help it, I find the world cup exciting but the rest of the comps boring. (Ok let me have it)
Kinda like the olympics for me. I would never watch most of those sports any other time.

terryand
23rd June 2006, 03:00 PM
I reckon most bandwagon supporters would hop straight off again.

Even being the World Cup and The Aussies doing so well, I still can't get excited, its still soccer.

I can appreciate how well the Aussies are doing and the skill involved, but I find it hard to sit there and watch a game for 90 min that can finish 0-0 :-|

Terry.

Courty
23rd June 2006, 03:02 PM
I can appreciate how well the Aussies are doing and the skill involved, but I find it hard to sit there and watch a game for 90 min that can finish 0-0 :-|

What about Test cricket? It can go for 5 days and end up in a draw!

terryand
23rd June 2006, 03:04 PM
At least you can see some 100's scored or 5 fa's takin.

Terry.

Courty
23rd June 2006, 03:06 PM
At least you can see some 100's scored or 5 fa's takin.

Terry.

True, true. :-|

Choppa
23rd June 2006, 03:09 PM
Even being the World Cup and The Aussies doing so well, I still can't get excited, its still soccer.

Terry.

I would normally be right with you Tezza, but after the 80 minutes of nothing against Japan, the excitment of the 3 goals was awesome. I almost became a hooligan and trashed my own house!

It's times like that when I think the game is ok. But like I said, only during the World Cup for me.

Moe Norman
23rd June 2006, 03:38 PM
i have found that I have enjoyed watching soccer this time around because I care about the result, I've watched a few other games as well but sought of tuned out whereas I haven't missed a second of the Australian games and have been loving it!

McCoy
23rd June 2006, 03:42 PM
I couldn't believe it when Kalac let that goal through. I don't expect us to beat Italy but we're in with a chance, the Italian's have always struggled to score goals and we did put up a good show against Brazil.
That referee though, he sends the Aussie off for a handball yet he doesn't card the Croat bloke when he conceded the penalty. Then the same bastard does it again, gets no card again and we don't get a penalty.

Fishman Dan
23rd June 2006, 04:03 PM
I'm all over this tournament, but the refereeing has been bloody terrible - across the board.

The reason that i can't get behind soccer full time is that they carry on like pork chops when someone breaks their hair.

Moe Norman
23rd June 2006, 04:04 PM
see my avatar courty - he was a bit confused the poor pommy b#stard.

AndyP
23rd June 2006, 07:45 PM
It's not about the actual scoring, Tez, it's the excitement of the scoring opportunities and watching a scoring chance unfold.

That said, I have only been a Socceroo watcher, but am looking to go to a Queenlsand Roar game this season.

billybaub
26th June 2006, 04:19 PM
im in germany now
and its not just about the scoring chances unfolding

over here its crazy...the beer is flowing and the fights are constant
its not a good mix when u have germans and the english together
but the atmosphere is just crazy...best ive ever seen at any sporting event

now to see what the atmosphere at a game is like tonight... switzerland vs ukraine

Choppa
26th June 2006, 04:21 PM
im in germany now
and its not just about the scoring chances unfolding

over here its crazy...the beer is flowing and the fights are constant
its not a good mix when u have germans and the english together
but the atmosphere is just crazy...best ive ever seen at any sporting event

now to see what the atmosphere at a game is like tonight... switzerland vs ukraine

What can I say.....you suck :mrgreen:

Damn that would be a great party over there. To hell with the soccer :smt002

billybaub
26th June 2006, 04:36 PM
What can I say.....you suck :mrgreen:

Damn that would be a great party over there. To hell with the soccer :smt002

yeah this is the biggest party i have ever seen
in the paper yesterday there was a picture of a german girl and sweeden girl wearing nothing and completely covered in body paint
the fans are obsessed over here

and when you top it off by wearing the australian jersey, everyone buys you beer

Jarro
26th June 2006, 04:37 PM
go hard billybaub 8)

.. that is, unless you already haven't done so :p

How much is a pint of the finest over there ?

billybaub
26th June 2006, 04:47 PM
go hard billybaub 8)

.. that is, unless you already haven't done so :p

How much is a pint of the finest over there ?

well a stein goes for about 4 euros, or 6.50 aus
and its about 3 stubbies worth

but im in cologne and KOLSCH is the beer of cologne
comes in a 300ml glass
and is usually about a euro... its really not bad
but all alcohol is cheap
bottle of vodka...6 euro in the shops
oh and there is no limits on what alcohol they can serve you...well maybe there is...but i have not come across any in my 2 trips here...so you ask for a triple... you get a triple

Choppa
26th June 2006, 06:59 PM
yeah this is the biggest party i have ever seen
in the paper yesterday there was a picture of a german girl and sweeden girl wearing nothing and completely covered in body paint
the fans are obsessed over here

and when you top it off by wearing the australian jersey, everyone buys you beer

How good is that!

Have you thought about wearing nothing but body paint yourself :smt002 I bet they would buy you more than a beer :mrgreen:

Grunt
26th June 2006, 07:09 PM
Am not going to be able to watch the next game live. Work tomorrow and I need to be up @ 5am so getting up and watching it is not on the cards.

Go the Socceroos!!!!!!

AndyP
26th June 2006, 07:14 PM
Am not going to be able to watch the next game live. Work tomorrow and I need to be up @ 5am so getting up and watching it is not on the cards.I'll be up less than an hour after you, and I'll be watching it.
Some things are worth sleep depredation.

Jarro
26th June 2006, 07:18 PM
i'll be up to watch it, then i'll go back to bed because I"M STILL ON HOLIDAYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Moe Norman
26th June 2006, 07:38 PM
Some things are worth sleep depredation As I regularly fly Qantas I'm happy Grunt is getting enough sleep.

Seeing as he looks after AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE!

Fishman Dan
26th June 2006, 09:21 PM
Very tempted to go to Norton St tonight... if two rain drops hit the ground that will force my decision...

.....but the atmosphere!!!

McMw
27th June 2006, 12:31 AM
so close for Aus to go 1 up....

Jarro
27th June 2006, 12:36 AM
Schwartzer has already saved 2 attempts that Kalac would've probably missed :roll:

Fishman Dan
27th June 2006, 01:41 AM
More Shots Ffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AndyP
27th June 2006, 01:53 AM
Congratulations have to go to the referees. They finally got their wish, and have Australia out of the tournament.

McMw
27th June 2006, 01:55 AM
so close...
well...u just had that feeling even with the aussies having almost 60% of the possession, the italians would get over the line with their experience, and beautiful swan dives!!!

the aussies just didn't know what to do in front of the goals, and it was a great effort to have it nil-all all the way...

Jarro
27th June 2006, 02:00 AM
Viduka was most ineffective again .... he's just too damn slow in the box to cause any dramas for the oppositons defence

Ducky
27th June 2006, 02:01 AM
Lets see what we can take away from this:

1. Viduka is a fat slug who should never have received as much game time as he did.
2. The Italians are a bunch of posers who 'dive' more frequently than the Australian swim team.
3. The refs are oblivious morons.

Jarro
27th June 2006, 02:10 AM
such a shame that a pretty succesful campaign has to end with a crappy decision by the officials ..... really does make you wonder about this game :evil:

Moe Norman
27th June 2006, 02:14 AM
it's my fault.

about 5 seconds before bresciano got skinned I said to my mate "see what happens when you get a decent ref"

McCoy
27th June 2006, 05:14 AM
We didn't take advantage of the extra player, Hiddink was too defensive and you have to make the most of your chances. Shame we had a real chance to get to the semis too. Oh well, great effort by the boys the last 2 weeks have been fun.

3oneday
27th June 2006, 06:09 AM
I would have to say either the Italians defence was rock solid or our attack was inadequate. We had our chances, I think I said with 25 minutes to go we were heading for penalties. I was half right....

Pete

AndyP
27th June 2006, 06:18 AM
I think this is a good lesson for all the youngsters taking up the game: Diving does pay.

BrisVegas
27th June 2006, 06:41 AM
I think the "diving" that goes on in football is the reason many people stay away from the game. It can be pathetic to watch...

Keza_G
27th June 2006, 06:48 AM
I think the "diving" that goes on in football is the reason many people stay away from the game. It can be pathetic to watch...

Can't agree more...:? I got up and thought I was watchin the swimming.... for an injured player they sure get up quick after they are awarded a free kick... That last "foul" in the goal square was such a load of crap I woke the house up with a yelled obscenity.... what an annoying game...

Still the Aussies did well... maybe next time...

Jarro
27th June 2006, 07:09 AM

spot on mate.

It's the ONLY reason i can't get into this game a lot more, the ballerinas tend to prance around fall regularly when not even hit hard.. if at all :evil:

Moe Norman
27th June 2006, 07:25 AM
i reckon all the progress the socceroos made in promoting the game in this country went straight out the window when we were knocked out of the tourney due to a dive.

hard to accept that such a major match can be decided by such an act.

Courty
27th June 2006, 07:28 AM
Is there such a thing as an impartial referee? Or a competent one? The only explanation is that the referee had his own personal agenda. I have heard that the FIFA powers-that-be prefer the traditional powerhouse nations to progress and have directed the referees to favour these teams. Have we seen evidence of this today?

No, No & Yes.

I also made the early mistake of saying the referee was pretty good for a change. For the most part he was ok, but he certainly took his opportunity to leave his mark on the game. Should have been a yellow card against the Eye-talian who dived in the box. I've watched a dozen replays and still can't see any contact with Lucas Neill. It was a straight-out dive.

I can't help but feel sorry for Lucas Neill. It probably wasn't the best idea to attempt a slide tackle in the box, but it wasn't worth losing the game over.

I think the match-fixing scandal in the Italian Serie A has highlighted that no-one can be trusted at this level. The game really needs to be cleaned up, but unfortunately, with the alleged corruption reaching all the way to the top, it's unlikely that anything will be done.

Choppa
27th June 2006, 07:42 AM
If nothing else, it has reinforced why I can't stand this stupid game. Not a minute too soon, as I was really starting to enjoy it!

I think we all have to agree that Italy was the better team, so their winning is not the problem, but to win like that.....

PeteyD
27th June 2006, 08:17 AM
At least I won't be sitting through another game for anojther 4 years.

McMw
27th June 2006, 08:21 AM
At least I won't be sitting through another game for anojther 4 years.

just England to get knocked out this Sat, and I'll be enjoying earlier nights... :lol:

Fishman Dan
27th June 2006, 11:37 AM
Last week Lockyer allegedly took a dive to milk a penalty against Manly, which led to 2 points and pretty much iced the game. Where was the uproar then? Face it, milking free's is a crucial part of any sport - just look at big tough guys like Barrett, Anasta (well, tough-ish), Barry Hall, Nathan Buckley. It's just that the European teams are better at it than most.

Craig Foster was spot on with his summation - that penalty is given as often as not given in World Soccer, but it comes down to Bresciano being 1-out against Grosso on the wing. In fact we were fragile for a good 5 minutes. Rale Rasic was impartial, saying that it was definately NOT a penalty, but Matterazi should NOT have been red carded either.

At the end of the day, it's a shocking way to lose. But it's not like we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory - the next 30 minutes, or a shootout could also have led to our exit from the cup.

Agreed though that the 'theatrics' of the game ruins it for Australian's, who like a rough contact brand of football code, although I'm sure junior soccer enrollment will go up one-million percent.

Italy have dodged a big bullet.... look out World, they could be specials for the Cup now!

PeteyD
27th June 2006, 12:11 PM
Apparently Italy are renowned for it. I didn't understand the red card, but I don't understand soccer that much either. Lockyer was elbowed in the face.

In the end Australia should have scored against 10 men.

connico
27th June 2006, 12:11 PM
sh1ts me to watch a game end like that, but diving and milking frees are part of the world sport...

Regardless, better luck next time and i should be on the money of spain wins!!!

McMw
27th June 2006, 12:20 PM
any1 think the tactics of the aussies were boring going into attack???
gave the italians too much time to get back into defence to crowd the box...
they were not as free flowing as the Italians when they were going into attack...

Gus's tactics???

would have thought with the Italians 1 men down, the aussies would have taken germany's approach and fire shots in when they had the chance to...

Fishman Dan
27th June 2006, 01:13 PM
Mau - i think the tactics and the ball control was world class, and they were playing confidently, but the final pass was often poor.

I think Viduka's role was wrong, he needed to be a little more mobile and even drop back into midfield occasionally to open up that space (if his markers followed). His ball skills are sensational... either that or he needed to gather, turn and SHOOT!

Bruce
27th June 2006, 03:09 PM
The Italian defence was very well organised even with 10 men. Any time we were within range there were 2 guys covering with a third on the way to shut down shots and passes.

Moe Norman
27th June 2006, 03:36 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-soccer27jun27,0,7688345.story?track=mostviewed-homepage

3oneday
27th June 2006, 03:40 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-soccer27jun27,0,7688345.story?track=mostviewed-homepagecrikeys !!!

Ducky
27th June 2006, 03:47 PM
I agree with the article, some people need to be stabbed.

Moe Norman
27th June 2006, 03:50 PM
i remember watching that Italy match in 2002 and thinking it was fixed.

Totti got sent off for diving (when he got hacked on the knee) and then Italy scored a golden goal and it was disallowed for being offside, when he was about 3 metres onside!

i guess we are small players in FIFA politics.

Fishman Dan
27th June 2006, 03:59 PM
Conspiracy theories aside, the points are valid enough in a murky industry. But to suggest that we will get an easy ride next time is sublime.

With the refereeing we copped throughout the entire tournament, we should be odds-on.

Jarro
27th June 2006, 04:23 PM
i doubt i'll take much interest in it next time.

This has really turned me off soccer for good.

Ducky
27th June 2006, 05:20 PM
Seriously, Harry should have been on the field. He would have had a swing at the referee for sure!

Jarro
27th June 2006, 05:46 PM
all this aside though, we should've scored at least twice during regulation play.

We were just not deadly enough when we had the ball in an attacking position.

McCoy
27th June 2006, 05:47 PM
Come on, a conspiracy? Let's just ignore that an Italian was sent off and Australia played with 1 more man for 30 mins. If a conspiracy existed wouldn't an Aussie have been sent off?
Look the Italian dived, no one thinks otherwise, but the Italians play the game that way and it works. This isn't anything unusual.

Though I do think Brazil are given every opportunity to get to the final.

Fishman Dan
27th June 2006, 05:48 PM
i doubt i'll take much interest in it next time.

This has really turned me off soccer for good.

I doubt that. You'll be back on the bandwagon in a couple of years during the Asia Cup when these players get together again and play some quality opposition, except for a couple of retirements.

While the iron's hot go become a member of the Queensland Roar A-League team. I can tell you from going to a couple of Sydney FC games that it's a good atmosphere, very family friendly.

And your kids could earn a lot more if they get 1/2 decent at it too ;)

Grunt
27th June 2006, 05:58 PM
I think I will go to an A league game this year after this world cup has done such a great job in building the sport here in AUstralia.

Fishman Dan
27th June 2006, 06:07 PM
I think I will go to an A league game this year after this world cup has done such a great job in building the sport here in AUstralia.

With soccer being run by morons 10 years ago too they failed to generate interest on the back of the Socceroo's success.

Hopefully the A-League will be rewarded with the restructure and influx of interest in the game and become much bigger, which it deserves to do.

Here's also hoping we've seen the end to "Song for the Socceroo's".

Jarro
27th June 2006, 06:12 PM
I doubt that. You'll be back on the bandwagon in a couple of years during the Asia Cup when these players get together again and play some quality opposition, except for a couple of retirements.

sure mate, i'll be back willing the socceroos on next time, same way that i support any Aussie team, but i doubt i'll ever take a serious interest in soccer in general ..... especially A-league soccer :neutral:

goughy
27th June 2006, 06:12 PM
I don't know if anyone saw it, but the Today show replayed and add that someone sent in, which was originally broadcast by them a few weeks ago.

It showed the Italian soccer team practicing their dives. About thirty seconds of them rolling on the ground etc etc, and at the end one of the last dives looks familiar to what happened today.

Prophetic to say the least.

Courty
27th June 2006, 06:13 PM
I don't know if anyone saw it, but the Today show replayed and add that someone sent in, which was originally broadcast by them a few weeks ago.

It showed the Italian soccer team practicing their dives. About thirty seconds of them rolling on the ground etc etc, and at the end one of the last dives looks familiar to what happened today.

Prophetic to say the least.

That would be this one (http://usa.worldcupblog.org/group-e/secret-italian-training-video.html).

AndyP
27th June 2006, 06:14 PM
That ad was filmed for the Euro Cup 2004.

Ducky
27th June 2006, 06:34 PM
Come on, a conspiracy? Let's just ignore that an Italian was sent off and Australia played with 1 more man for 30 mins. If a conspiracy existed wouldn't an Aussie have been sent off?
Every good conspiracy has an even better cover up.

;)

PeteyD
27th June 2006, 07:06 PM
I reckon the ref was just tired and didn't want to do another 40 minutes ;) hehe

Moe Norman
27th June 2006, 07:07 PM
http://users.on.net/~billt/italianjob.gif

Jarro
27th June 2006, 07:10 PM
that's the best summation of soccer i've ever seen Moe :smt038

billybaub
27th June 2006, 07:18 PM
well i was in cologne for the game, watching it as part of the world cup fan fest...and was slightly outnumbered by about 3000 italians to australians. Anyway the atmosphere was crazy but also ridiculus when u have 50000 italians going nuts at a dive in the 93rd minute and australians very close to picking a fight with whoever.

i then backed up and went to the stadium for the switzerland vs ukraine game.
now that is atmosphere...the game sucked, but damn a stadium full of fans during a penalty shootout is something everyone has to experience.

ohhh and then their was the beer...

did i mention the beer

Ducky
27th June 2006, 07:29 PM
I hope you hit some spaghettis, Billy!

Fishman Dan
27th June 2006, 08:29 PM
well i was in cologne for the game, watching it as part of the world cup fan fest...and was slightly outnumbered by about 3000 italians to australians. Anyway the atmosphere was crazy but also ridiculus when u have 50000 italians going nuts at a dive in the 93rd minute and australians very close to picking a fight with whoever.

If we have learned anything from history, you should have started something. The Italians were very likely to run away..

Moe Norman
28th June 2006, 07:00 AM
I think Rivaldo takes the cake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enWKPnPu77k&search=rivaldo%20corner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaFm47lsL2g

Courty
28th June 2006, 01:27 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world-cup-2006/scandal-club-boss-jumps-out-window/2006/06/28/1151174234805.html

:roll:

Fishman Dan
28th June 2006, 01:37 PM
I think i've trumped you by about 5 minutes Courty.... but you're a Queenslander, so we'll forgive you ;)

http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5157 (2:13pm ;))

Courty
28th June 2006, 01:39 PM
Yeah, I just saw that.

But a QLDer wouldn't confuse the issue by creating another new thread on the same subject. :roll: ;)

BrisVegas
28th June 2006, 01:42 PM
and only a cockroach would feel the need to start an entire new thread over it...

Jarro
28th June 2006, 01:45 PM
seems to me you're slightly outnumbered here Fishy old mate :p

Courty
28th June 2006, 01:45 PM
I hear an echo in here...

Fishman Dan
28th June 2006, 02:02 PM
I didn't know this forum has limited threads..

Guys - "infinity" isn't an actual number :roll:

Bloody Queenslanders.... :lol:

Jarro
28th June 2006, 02:05 PM
hit the dob button Fishy ..

.. a nice Queenslander will respond in due course ;)

Fishman Dan
28th June 2006, 02:06 PM

Now there's an oxymoron if i've ever seen one....

Look it up ;)

BrisVegas
28th June 2006, 02:07 PM
send me the url...

Jarro
28th June 2006, 02:09 PM
no need to get nasty about it mate.

not my fault you're a bitter cockroach

AndyP
28th June 2006, 02:10 PM
Speak for yourself. I'm neither nice nor a Queenslander.

--------------------

Is there something wrong with a sport when in it's computer format there is a specific button for diving?

Fishman Dan
28th June 2006, 02:10 PM
Well.. born in Victoria actually.. but lived here for the majority.

Go the Storm!

Jarro
28th June 2006, 02:12 PM
Speak for yourself. I'm neither nice nor a Queenslander.

i was actually

3oneday
What he said

Bloody Queenslanders...... :p

what is this discussion about ?????

Courty
From the Oxford dictionary:

ox·y·mo·ron: Fishman Dan with a welding kit :mrgreen:

Jarro
28th June 2006, 02:14 PM
ox·y·mo·ron: Fishman Dan with a welding kit

:smt038 :smt023 :lol: :smt046 :smt044 :smt045 :smt098 :smt026 =D>

Fishman Dan
28th June 2006, 02:49 PM
I think you've got that from the Oxenford Dictionary... along with:

Cairns: Things what hold beer. Comes in packs of 1, 6 and 24 (apparently, no one has been able to count that high).
Limousine: A Torana SLT5000 with rust holes in the roof
Bogan: A fascinating beast. The majority of the species are hideously repugnant and unintelligent, and yet they manage to breed in ever-increasing numbers. It is quite common to find five or six offspring in each family group, often with a different father for each new baby
Redneck: You need one more hole punched in your card to get a freebie at the House of Tattoos
Mullet: Also known as Business in the front, Party in the back. May also be called a Oxley Waterfall
She-Mullet: The most attractive hairstyle for a woman - usually means she is lesbian, fat, poor, or all three. Looks like a normal mullet, but on a female. They'd be better off bald.

Courty
28th June 2006, 02:58 PM
I think you've got that from the Oxenford Dictionary... along with:

Cairns: Things what hold beer. Comes in packs of 1, 6 and 24 (apparently, no one has been able to count that high).
Limousine: A Torana SLT5000 with rust holes in the roof
Bogan: A fascinating beast. The majority of the species are hideously repugnant and unintelligent, and yet they manage to breed in ever-increasing numbers. It is quite common to find five or six offspring in each family group, often with a different father for each new baby
Redneck: You need one more hole punched in your card to get a freebie at the House of Tattoos
Mullet: Also known as Business in the front, Party in the back. May also be called a Oxley Waterfall
She-Mullet: The most attractive hairstyle for a woman - usually means she is lesbian, fat, poor, or all three. Looks like a normal mullet, but on a female. They'd be better off bald.

Nice one, Fishy. Pity all that stuff refers to the Western Suburbs of Syd-en-ey.

Ducky
28th June 2006, 03:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaFm47lsL2g
There are two classic moments half way through this.

1) Some dude gets a karate kick to the head

2) The medical staff slips and kicks an injured guy on the ground

:lol:

Fishman Dan
28th June 2006, 03:11 PM
Your first comeback was better ;) :lol:

AndyP
28th June 2006, 03:16 PM
Ducky, I liked the headbutt, where both guys go to ground.

Jarro
28th June 2006, 03:18 PM
There are two classic moments half way through this.

1) Some dude gets a karate kick to the head

2) The medical staff slips and kicks an injured guy on the ground

:lol:

that looked pretty painful :shock:

.. but did you notice that he didn't seem to carry-on as much as some of these other tossers.... maybe he was shocked that he actually got hurt and forgot how to react :lol:

billybaub
28th June 2006, 04:47 PM
that looked pretty painful :shock:

.. but did you notice that he didn't seem to carry-on as much as some of these other tossers.... maybe he was shocked that he actually got hurt and forgot how to react :lol:

thats how it always works
thats y the italians break a leg but can run 2 seconds later after congratulating their team on the penalty

in the swiss v ukraine game a guy had all the medical guys on the field
he looked out of it...suss challenge
they carried him off the field
after holding up play for 3 minutes...then he ran back around to the halfway line and came back on.

goughy
1st July 2006, 07:00 AM
FAvourites: goalie double kicks the ball and opp get it back, kick for goal gets touched and bobs gently towards the goal but the goalie trips over and it bounces over him.

The guys drop the injured player on the stretcher, and he decides to hop off one legged rather than get back in the stretcher.

Trung
2nd July 2006, 02:51 AM
Can anyone in england kick a proper penalty kick?

England gorrrrrrrne

3oneday
2nd July 2006, 02:53 AM
is this thing still going ???

;)

billybaub
2nd July 2006, 03:02 AM
bring on the english hooligan riots
england again knocked out in the quarters

Trung
2nd July 2006, 03:05 AM
Rooney is going to copped it for the next 4 years... Stupid kid...

Beckham - 1998
Rooney - 2006

Idiots...

Grunt
2nd July 2006, 05:18 AM
Who's left know?
Italy
Germany
France
?

goughy
2nd July 2006, 08:32 AM
Portugel (port - u - gel)

McCoy
2nd July 2006, 12:32 PM
Good to see Brazil get bounced by the first "real" team they played.

Personally, I'm kinda missing Simon Hill yelling out "Soccer-Ooze"

Moe Norman
2nd July 2006, 12:33 PM
if Italy win - we should invade and steal the trophy.

Ducky
2nd July 2006, 02:09 PM
I'll go for the girls, but leave with the trophy.

billybaub
2nd July 2006, 08:35 PM
i dont have to go anywhere...its handy already being here

everyone is against italy now over here...except the italians
all the germans are willing to start fights if italy wins...so either way they are gonna be pounded on or of the field...hopefully on...cause GERMANY FOR THE WIN

PeteyD
2nd July 2006, 08:51 PM
Germany always starts the fight ... ;)

McMw
3rd July 2006, 08:27 AM
that was a pathetic game by England Sat night...
If Aus played England that night, Aus would have won easily I felt...

Eng deserved to get kicked out of the WC with 5 below par games - Lampard has been the biggest dissapointment - 20 odd shots on goal, none found the back of the net...

connico
3rd July 2006, 11:45 AM
germany for the win!!!!

Courty
5th July 2006, 04:57 AM
I'm up watching the semis. Half-time & it's nil all. The Italians would make an olympic dive team proud. :roll:

Jarro
5th July 2006, 06:10 AM
still nil all after 104 minutes

3oneday
5th July 2006, 06:16 AM
Going to penalty shootout I reckon...... can you dive when taking those ???? :)

amanda
5th July 2006, 06:30 AM
Man, Italy 2-0 in the dying minutes of extra time.

Jarro
5th July 2006, 06:32 AM
talk about leaving your run till the last minute :roll:

Fishman Dan
5th July 2006, 06:49 AM
Yeah baby! Italy all the way!

The best game of soccer for the whole tournament, the ref didn't blow the pea out of the whistle, and he didn't stop play every time 2 players touched each other. That was a great game!

And Australia's mate Grosso slotted the winner!

Courty
5th July 2006, 07:06 AM
Yeah baby! Italy all the way!

The best game of soccer for the whole tournament, the ref didn't blow the pea out of the whistle, and he didn't stop play every time 2 players touched each other. That was a great game!

And Australia's mate Grosso slotted the winner!

I'm spewing that Australia is gone, but now I'm on Italy to win. Just by making the final I'm guaranteed $200, and if they win I'm up for $400! :mrgreen:

Fishman Dan
5th July 2006, 07:19 AM
Nice effort Courty!

A miserly $120 for me if they win ;)

billybaub
5th July 2006, 08:42 AM
u guys are supporting the italians...
thats dodgy

all the germans are shattered
100´s of fans in tears after the game
quite a site to see

Courty
5th July 2006, 08:46 AM
We married into it, so got no choice. ;)

Jarro
5th July 2006, 09:44 AM
why the hell would Italy sit back to play for a draw when they're penalty shootout record is so poor ?

Courty
5th July 2006, 09:45 AM
One thing..with that italian defence...France or Portugal will be doing well to score at least once past it.

Yeah, they haven't conceded one goal yet so far, have they?

Bruce
5th July 2006, 09:56 AM
Yeah, they haven't conceded one goal yet so far, have they?

The only team to score against Italy so far is Italy. Just the own goal vs USA from memory.