PDA

View Full Version : DG Superlites

Jarro
22nd May 2006, 09:09 AM
Anybody here using them ?

I'm seriously thinking of going to a lighter weight steel shaft in my irons.

Has anyone here recently switched to these shafts ? comments please :mrgreen:

andylo
22nd May 2006, 09:13 AM
Another option of light weight steel shaft are:

TT TX-90
TT TX Tour
Nippon NS Pro 850/950

Just to confuse you :p

Jarro
22nd May 2006, 09:27 AM
thanks ALo.

i like the performance of my DGS300's though so i kinda want to get something that plays similar without the weight.

Virgal_Tracy
22nd May 2006, 09:32 AM
Currently playing with the SL S300 in my X Tour clones. To pick them up they really do feel lighter than S300 but the swing weight feels very similar. Responsive and feel good. don't know if I'd go back to the regular weight shafts again, doesn't seem like much point.

peter_rs
22nd May 2006, 09:33 AM
I have looked at lite shafts.

Keza & I play DG SL shafts.

Don't look at TX shafts they break easys. Ask Scotty_G

Nippon NS Pro- higher ball flight
Rifle Flighted Lite- variable kick point solid feel.
DG SL- plays with a low ball flight

I perfer the DG.

Your clubs will swing weight heavier with SL. My MP32 went from D2 to D6. but I like head heavy clubs.

Jarro
22nd May 2006, 09:35 AM
Currently playing with the SL S300 in my X Tour clones. To pick them up they really do feel lighter than S300 but the swing weight feels very similar. Responsive and feel good. don't know if I'd go back to the regular weight shafts again, doesn't seem like much point.

VT, have you noticed any change in your shot shape/trajectory since changing over ?

Virgal_Tracy
22nd May 2006, 09:42 AM
Definetly lowered my flight which is what I was looking for. Was probably the main reason that i went with them. I have the TX Tour in my X 18 set which is also supposed to lower flight but the SL's feel better.

ben
22nd May 2006, 09:56 AM
the TX-Tour's don't fly low, the technology behind the TX series of shafts doesn't really allow for it. The SL flies lower (almost lower than a DG). The SL's also play firmer than the DG's. I used to use DG S3's and went to a DG SL R3.

They are a very good shaft Jazza, easier to hit than a DG becasue of the lower weight (and therefore lower MOI) but they are still a low handicappers shaft.

The other thing to remember is that being an ultralite they are more prone to having bends in them or "spines".

goughy
22nd May 2006, 04:00 PM
I'm loving lightweight steel shafts atm, and don't see myself using anything else ever again. Maybe the greatest revolution in iron shafts for the average player.

Didn't you have a nippon in a 3 wood years ago jarro. They left a bad taste in my mouth, and I bet they did the same for you. I'll stick clear of them for that reason.

AndyP
22nd May 2006, 04:04 PM
Didn't you have a nippon in a 3 wood years ago jarro. They left a bad taste in my mouth, and I bet they did the same for you. I'll stick clear of them for that reason.
That would be my current 3 wood, I think.

Jarro
22nd May 2006, 05:07 PM
so Ben, what you are saying is that the Superlites in stiff would have a lower ballflight than the normal S300's in the same flex ... not really what i'm after :-s

i might have to rethink this a little more .....

990B Luva
22nd May 2006, 06:04 PM
Jarro, i found the opposite when i hit Keza's irons, the SL's hit the ball higher for me but GREAT SHAFTS no matter what

Jarro
22nd May 2006, 06:06 PM
thanks Brett.

peter_rs
22nd May 2006, 06:24 PM
brett thats because the SMT head puts so much spin on the ball.

ben
22nd May 2006, 08:22 PM
Yes the milling on the SMT irons is way over the top. Way too much spin for my liking in the long irons especially.

connico
23rd May 2006, 10:39 PM
hmm and dont the smt have massive ofset??

regardless i hit some DG SL omg i almost came in my pants, those shafts a nice for light shafts, felt really crisp each shot, got to hit them while they where sitting a set of 735mbs...i like it... but the dude did say his bent a few..hmmm

3oneday
23rd May 2006, 10:51 PM
but the dude did say his bent a few..hmmmswing speed and strength does this Anthony.....

You'll be fine ;)

:lol:

connico
23rd May 2006, 11:05 PM
swing speed and strength does this Anthony.....

You'll be fine ;)

got weak???...you saying im weak mate?

Ona
23rd May 2006, 11:14 PM
22g lighter? Just found something in the kitchen that weights about that, feels like nothing at all. Doesn't seem enough to change swingspeed, unless you allow the swingweight to go higher and that somehow helps.

Ben, do they work better than dg's for some people because they're lighter or because they result in different launch conditions given the exact same swing?

3oneday
23rd May 2006, 11:22 PM
got weak???...you saying im weak mate?you don't strike me as someone who will bend a shaft from taking divots, sorry if that offends :shock:

connico
23rd May 2006, 11:39 PM
lol i hardly take divots so thats ok lol :p

Jarro
24th May 2006, 05:15 AM
well, if they bend easily i better not get them ..... i'm pretty strong ;)

ben
24th May 2006, 07:17 AM
Ona,

Because they are lighter. Most people play with shafts that are too heavy.

Ben

Jono
24th May 2006, 09:47 AM
swing speed and strength does this Anthony.....

You'll be fine ;)

Might surprise you to know that Anthony was clocking 110 to 115 mph with his driver ... :shock:

Must have crap smash factor though ... His drives were going nowhere. :twisted: :lol:

connico
24th May 2006, 09:49 AM
lol well actually it was the shaft and driver head that was doing that..

Can hit the 905T now...ask brad :)

Jono
24th May 2006, 01:39 PM
lol well actually it was the shaft and driver head that was doing that..

Can hit the 905T now...ask brad :)

So your swing had nothing to do with it ... :roll: :lol:

connico
24th May 2006, 02:19 PM
nope was driver all along... :p

Ona
24th May 2006, 07:11 PM
I can see that it may allow for different swingweights or moi, maybe finding a better fit for the golfer that way, but looking only at total weight, can 20 something grams actually make a difference? A slice of bread proly weighs as much.

ben
24th May 2006, 07:21 PM
Ona,

It makes a world of difference. The shaft walls are thinner so energy travels easier, you are looking at a 25% reduction in total weight of the shaft. you can visibly see people swinging easier with a lighter shaft than a heavier one.

Jarro
25th May 2006, 10:11 AM
so do you think these shafts would suit a "hitter" more than a "swinger" then Ben ?

i'd like a shaft that would help me try and eliminate the "hitting" aspect out of my golf swing.

Ona
25th May 2006, 10:33 AM
Thanks Ben. Still find it hard to believe, but can't argue with your experience. Might be one of things I've gotta go through myself in order to be a total believer :|

Do people swing faster (how much?) or retain the same speed but do it "easier"?

Jarro
25th May 2006, 10:39 AM
i think the lighter shaft helps you achieve greater clubhead speed Ona

Ona
25th May 2006, 11:54 AM
thats what they say. but... how much faster? how do you isolate total weight as the sole cause of any change in ss? Would 15g's lighter be enough to change my swing? 5g? How many MPH do you need to increase you swingspeed for it to be noticeable and worthwhile?

Ben, have you or anyone you know of built two clubs, one with the DG the other DGSL, identical in every way but the shaft weight (swingweight/moi, balance point etc) and measured for swingspeed? If not, what would you predict the outcome would be for most golfers?

I'd proly choose the DGSL over the DG's for a new set, can't hurt right and I guess they're bout the same price, but if the only advantage is weight, is there enough of a performance boost to warrant the $$ to reshaft away from DG's?

ben
25th May 2006, 12:55 PM
Ona,

You may get 1-2 mph different and you may get 5-6. It depends more what it does to your tempo and release than anything else. Its more people don't have to fight the club, its easier to get through the ball.

goughy
25th May 2006, 06:41 PM
It's just not so much hard work. Why make the game any harder than it already is.

Honestly, I think the stable lightweight iron shafts are the new revolution for us hackers. They're no longer spaghetti and actually have specific playing characteristics to suit different swings.

More power to us!

Iain
25th May 2006, 06:56 PM
Jarro,
Why don't you get a couple of the S300 SL's off Ben, say a 4 and 9 iron?? Put them in your clubs and see how they play?? That's what I'm doing with X100's, that way I'm not having to pay for a full set of shafts and costs if they're not suitable.

Personally, I don't think I could go with SL's, I like the weight of the DG's and PX's.

Iain

Jarro
25th May 2006, 07:15 PM
yeah i thought about that Iain, but i'm going to go and get fitted soon and i think i might wait and see what the clubmaker says.

It might be easier for me to just buy a set that already has the Superlites in them, if it's determined that i need new irons after all.

Iain
25th May 2006, 07:23 PM
yeah i thought about that Iain, but i'm going to go and get fitted soon and i think i might wait and see what the clubmaker says.

It might be easier for me to just buy a set that already has the Superlites in them, if it's determined that i need new irons after all.

Why would you need new irons?? Whats wrong with the 201's?? Or do you just want an excuse to ho!! :razz: :razz:

BrisVegas
25th May 2006, 07:24 PM

OK, here's a wild stab in the dark..... Bridgey J33 combos??? :-D

Jarro
25th May 2006, 07:26 PM
Why would you need new irons?? Whats wrong with the 201's?? Or do you just want an excuse to ho!! :razz: :razz:

well i don't really need new irons, i'm hoping that it'll work out that they're right for me, and that i just need them adjusted to suit.

I've never had a clubfit before so chances are pretty good they'll need some kind of tweaking.

saying that though, it does sound like a great excuse to Ho ;)

Jarro
25th May 2006, 07:27 PM
OK, here's a wild stab in the dark..... Bridgey J33 combos??? :-D

i actually quite like the look of the Titty 704 CB's :mrgreen:

BrisVegas
25th May 2006, 07:30 PM
i actually quite like the look of the Titty 704 CB's :mrgreen:

I hear ya. They're a nice middle-of-the-road iron. Hopefully I'll get some soon so you can take a swing with em! Mind you, you'll need to stand on a couple of bricks to get the lie angle right.... :smt002

Jarro
25th May 2006, 07:32 PM
i actually came within a whisker of getting a set when i was looking for new irons a while ago. Tried them out against all the demos that Nudgee pro shop had to offer, and they felt the best.

Then along came perci with his I-201's :roll: :)

BrisVegas
25th May 2006, 07:43 PM
i actually came within a whisker of getting a set when i was looking for new irons a while ago. Tried them out against all the demos that Nudgee pro shop had to offer, and they felt the best.

Well, they'd look nice sitting next to your Nomad Vokeys...

I'm keen to try the 735.CM irons as well. A demo set of those would be about the only reason I could think of to get me back to Pacific!!

Jarro
25th May 2006, 07:45 PM
there's a set of demo 704's in the bin at Nudgee too Vegas ;)

AndyP
25th May 2006, 07:50 PM
Who are you seeing for your fitting?

Jarro
25th May 2006, 07:51 PM
Who are you seeing for your fitting?

i'll probably go down to see Chris McCourt at Palm Meadows.

wanna come along ;)

connico
25th May 2006, 07:53 PM
There is not reason not to hoe?? and your not a hoe if you dont sell your gear!! :p

shazza_rs
25th May 2006, 08:13 PM
if you are going for finding a set with SL's in them already you will be hard pressed finding some. The SL's are a special order as almost every set of clubs has the normal DG's in them.

Just a thought

BrisVegas
25th May 2006, 08:46 PM
if you are going for finding a set with SL's in them already you will be hard pressed finding some. The SL's are a special order as almost every set of clubs has the normal DG's in them.

Just a thought

Yeah mine would need to be a special order anyway, given the length I need. Thanks though.