PDA

View Full Version : After 6 months of ho-ing, the results are in

sfdoddsy
29th June 2016, 10:16 PM
I tried seven of the latest drivers...

If I hadn't snapped the shaft on my old R7 Superquad I probably would have gone back to it. I'm buggered if I can see any real improvement.

I tried 6 variations of fairways and hybrids...

I've gone back to my old Adams Pro Golds.

I tried 11 sets of irons...

I've gone back to my Callaway JDM GBBs I bought ten years ago. None of the new sets was appreciably longer or more forgiving on the course (as opposed to the range). Some had a better feel (hello Adams CMB) but I didn't hit any of them any closer to the pin than my old set.

I tried 3 sets of wedges...

I have replaced my old Ping iWedges. All three sets of wedges I tried were better, although the newest (Cleveland RTX 2.0) were knocked out by the oldest (Callaway Jaws).

I tried 5 putters...

I've replaced my non-trusty Bettinardi with the highly praised Ping Ketsch.

I five putted with it last week. From ten feet. Then experienced the joy of hitting 10 greens in reg and 3 putting (or worse) 9 of them.

Since I began ho-ing, my handicap has gone backwards.

The only positive is that I bought almost everything used and thus haven't wasted too much money.

And in spite of all that, I'm still looking forward to my latest club purchase arriving next week.

Captain Nemo
30th June 2016, 06:09 AM
Sounds familiar....
I've had this conversation about club hoing and the like as well with many an Ozgolfer...
Since I've been on here and for other reasons my handicap has stalled somewhat too due to over indulging on excess clubs.
I havnt been as bad as you as I've stuck primarily with the same irons or similar for years, or variants of..
But alas I don't take my golf as serious anymore and I've met some great guys on here, and had some super weekends away and piss ups!
They make up for the shit golf.... ;)

PeteyD
30th June 2016, 06:54 AM
And yet DaveS handicap keeps coming in and he changes clubs every round. Makes no sense!

Steve57
30th June 2016, 07:59 AM
And yet DaveS handicap keeps coming in and he changes clubs every round. Makes no sense!
The difference Pete is that Dave keeps all of his!
That's where the rest of us are going wrong.

benno_r
30th June 2016, 10:44 AM
I get as much enjoyment out of playing all my different clubs as I do out of my handicap improving. Probably more, as I really enjoy modding / refurbing putters.

Captain Nemo
30th June 2016, 10:46 AM
And yet DaveS handicap keeps coming in and he changes clubs every round. Makes no sense! Prob cause he plays 3 times as much as the rest of us as well!!

Rodent
30th June 2016, 10:59 AM
Hoing has got me in trouble as well. I hate seeing my bench players not getting a run so I'll throw them in the bag just for the fun of it and wonder why my scores are all over the shop. I enjoy hitting different clubs and to only get to use 14 takes discipline. I would have to sell all my reserves because I can't stop myself using them.
Maybe that is the next step. Sell sell sell.

Daves
30th June 2016, 11:05 AM
I get as much enjoyment out of playing all my different clubs as I do out of my handicap improving. Probably more, as I really enjoy modding / refurbing putters.

Same, little bit of A, little bit of B, improves the whole mix.

MOI matching also makes it really easy to move between clubs, I find.

billp
30th June 2016, 11:16 AM
Mods please ban SF has this goes against every principle on this forum, Ozgolf wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the ho's here :)

oldracer
30th June 2016, 12:46 PM
Nice looking bats Doddsy, you'll have to give us a review when you get them.

Dotty
30th June 2016, 02:28 PM
Daves' scores don't blow out each game, because he doesn't change his wedges or putter.

If he did that then his scores would differ by 10-12 points a game like the rest of us.

ps. Nothing wrong with using older model clubs, provided you buy lots of older model clubs to ensure that you end up with the right ones.

mrbluu
30th June 2016, 03:29 PM
Mods please ban SF has this goes against every principle on this forum, Ozgolf wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the ho's here :)

BP, you gotta read the whole post mate!!!

And in spite of all that, I'm still looking forward to my latest club purchase arriving next week.

This ^ is what makes sfdoddsy one of us :mrgreen:

DNQ22
12th July 2016, 08:23 AM
There is always something to buy...

WBennett
12th July 2016, 02:06 PM
There is always something to buy... Or sell?

sfdoddsy
12th July 2016, 11:05 PM
Well, the newest iron purchase arrived, alongside another set I kind of forgot I'd bought.

So I took them out the other day. It was nice and early so I was the only one on the course and could hit multiple balls.

One set was pure recent blades. The other pure recent GI. And my ancient current set somewhere in-between.

I hit the blades OK, but success was marginal. There is a difference there.

But the latest GI irons are once again no better or worse than my ancient irons.

They did go a bit further due to boisterous lofts, and I like the wider gapping, but that's about it.

Fortunately someone stole my putter, hybrids and wedges the other day so I can pointlessly ho their replacements.