PDA

View Full Version : Good value 3W for off the tee?

FuzzyJuzzy
28th June 2016, 11:12 AM
Gents,

I've been off with the pixies for a little while. Was hoping someone could tell me what's a good value fairway wood to primarily be used off the tee? I'm thinking 3W, and probably something TaylorMade (don't have the coin for the M2 fairway, which sounds pretty awesome), but could be swayed as I'm pretty skint these days.
I'm mostly pretty shithouse at consistently hitting anything longer than my T-MB 3-iron off the deck, and my 915H (18* set at D1, 17.25*) has been my go to club off the tee when my driver is playing up. The 915H gets out there pretty well (220m), but figured if it's mostly to be used off the tee I might try put a 3W in the bag.
Cheers lads.

PeteyD
28th June 2016, 11:17 AM
Maybe a mini driver if it is mainly for off the tee?

hardboiled
28th June 2016, 11:19 AM
Maybe a mini driver if it is mainly for off the tee?

This... The TM Mini can be had for pretty cheap these days.

Jazz18
28th June 2016, 11:27 AM
I've found solace in a JDM 3 wood for now FJ, but I've also had success with a 910FD in a 15deg (still have it) and an Exotics CB4 tour. I've got 2 CB4 tours and you can have one if you like. The one I'm keeping has a fubuki tour shaft in it and bombs it. The other has the stock Aldila RIP sigma in it. You can have that for $50 if you want. Great condition and has the headcover. If the shaft doesn't sound any good, I've got a couple of other shafts that I could put in it for you for a little more in price. I didn't like the sigma shaft. The CB4 is a nice size, slightly deeper face and is a rocket off the tee. I actually took it out of the bag because it went too far. If you're struggling with driver, the CB4 is a great option because in reality, it's only about 10m shorter (if that) shorter than driver, if you get the right shaft. Just let me know if you're interested.

FuzzyJuzzy
28th June 2016, 11:29 AM
This... The TM Mini can be had for pretty cheap these days.

This is what the good man MrBluu suggested - SLDR Mini. My only concern is I don't want to eschew the driver altogether - as that's a gumby move. More so I'm looking for something that's capable of going relatively straight (well, obviously that depends on me), but goes a bit further than my 915H. Might look into a mini driver thought...

TheNuclearOne
28th June 2016, 11:33 AM
Yeah is not really worried about off the deck the SLDR mini shafted to suit is a bomb. You can also get the Callaway X Hot Deep and X2 Hot Deep for pittance with patience. They are in between the SLDR Min and standard 3 woods for size. If you go a 3 wood there are plenty with loads of ball speed now, most any Tour Edge, Aeroburner TP, the list goes on and on. Even an old RBZ Tour would be great for tee only use. Unlimited options, and cheap.

Timbo
28th June 2016, 12:06 PM
I have a SLDR Mini TP 12* and it's the best 3 wood I've ever owned, surprisingly good off the deck too. I've never been able to find a 3 wood I liked, so I alternate between the Mini and a 17* R11 4 wood which has also been really good.

damoocow
28th June 2016, 12:44 PM
Another vote for the SLDR mini here - and as with Timbo it is great off the deck [if you have a half decent lie]. Mine is a 14 and goes as long as my driver [which I rarely hit now]

sheezymaneezy
28th June 2016, 02:33 PM
Can also go for a Aeroburner mini as well. $175 I think off Golf Clearance Outlet.

benno_r
28th June 2016, 02:42 PM
Off the tee, i'd recommend cleveland classic. Nice deep face, goes a mile. Also the srixon f45 was a nice follow up to it.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

jocker
28th June 2016, 03:55 PM
2deep from callaway is also worth a look

liptout
28th June 2016, 04:14 PM
Just go and get a 13* driver, or the highest loft you can find, put your favourite 3 wood shaft in it and you'll be as sweet as nut.....

Problem solved!!

liptout
28th June 2016, 04:15 PM
Just go and get a 13* driver, or the highest loft you can find, put your favourite 3 wood shaft in it and you'll be as sweet as nut.....

Problem solved!!

Coldtopper
28th June 2016, 05:05 PM
buy L4G's egg spoon problem.solved

highballin
28th June 2016, 05:10 PM
I have a TM RBZ Stage 2 15deg Fairway Wood. Great off the tee.

I'm not currently bagging it because I also have a Titliest 913 Fairway that I find easier to hit off the deck.

TM has a slightly larger head which I think makes it easier to hit off the tee. If you can get hold of one to try you won't be dissapointed particularly off the tee.

FuzzyJuzzy
28th June 2016, 05:15 PM
I have a TM RBZ Stage 2 15deg Fairway Wood. Great off the tee.

I'm not currently bagging it because I also have a Titliest 913 Fairway that I find easier to hit off the deck.

TM has a slightly larger head which I think makes it easier to hit off the tee. If you can get hold of one to try you won't be dissapointed particularly off the tee.

Cheers mate. I used to own an RBZ Stage 2 3W and it was the business. Looking at a few options now...

D22marshall
28th June 2016, 06:31 PM
I have a Yammy iff 14 tour 3 wood hard to beat it if you want to try it out

FuzzyJuzzy
28th June 2016, 06:38 PM
Have come across an Aeroburner TP 3W with Kai'li 80 S. Looks like a beast. It's a little smaller/shallower head than the standard version, but still goes solid off the tee...according to Rick Shiels, at least. Anyone using one? Thanks.

Steve57
28th June 2016, 06:46 PM
PJ was selling one of these last week Fuzzy.
PM him for his thoughts.

KristianJ
28th June 2016, 06:50 PM
SLDR or tour issue Jetspeed...both of those have gone the clappers for me.

I'm somewhat intrigued by the AB TP that PJ is selling but am rather short on funds right now, but with my Jetty there's no need to go anywhere else for 3 wood satisfaction.

backintheswing
28th June 2016, 06:51 PM
Cobra Fly Z is as good as any. Tee or fairway.

TheNuclearOne
28th June 2016, 07:34 PM
Have come across an Aeroburner TP 3W with Kai'li 80 S. Looks like a beast. It's a little smaller/shallower head than the standard version, but still goes solid off the tee...according to Rick Shiels, at least. Anyone using one? Thanks.

Yeah they go great. Superb off the deck too.

chappy1970
28th June 2016, 08:26 PM
Find a 13deg V Steel in decent nick, drop a solid shaft in it. DONE

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

simmsy
28th June 2016, 09:15 PM

Problem solved!!

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blurry
28th June 2016, 09:27 PM
I use a g25 15* with the stock stiff shaft from an i20 3 wood and it is excellent off the tee and off the deck

Jerrymoo
29th June 2016, 01:43 PM
FJ, Titleist 913F.d Low Spin:

http://www.titleist.com.au/golf-clubs/fairways/913fd-low-spin

The 13.5 should fit the bill... it's Titleist, should be fairly inexpensive by now, and off the tee it absolutely goes.

Stuartd147
29th June 2016, 05:59 PM
I have Exotics 11.5* 3 wood with UST reg 70 shaft if interested.....stu

Thesloth96
29th June 2016, 09:40 PM
I got the callaway alpha 815. Can't talk highly enough of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JADO75
30th June 2016, 08:23 PM
Mini SLDR all day

FuzzyJuzzy
30th June 2016, 09:59 PM
Anybody rocking an Aeroburner Mini?

Huynhie
30th June 2016, 10:42 PM
I've got a Srixon z f45 in a 13 degree head if interested FJ

TheNuclearOne
30th June 2016, 11:12 PM
Anybody rocking an Aeroburner Mini?

The 12* TP goes well. Fairly different shape head to the SLDR. Think PeteyD or someone was rocking the standard.

PeteyD
1st July 2016, 06:01 AM
I have a stadard with a chuk in it. Goes nicely but the ho gene is too strong.

FuzzyJuzzy
1st July 2016, 08:16 AM
Thanks Gents.
Picked up an Aeroburner TP 15* with Kai'li 80 S for pretty cheap - seemed to work okay in some on-course practice this morning. Seems to go okay off the deck too, so might actually have the meddle to take 3W off the deck in comp now...maybe. If I hadn't found this stick I would've probably got an Aeroburner mini.

TheNuclearOne
1st July 2016, 10:36 AM
Thanks Gents.
Picked up an Aeroburner TP 15* with Kai'li 80 S for pretty cheap - seemed to work okay in some on-course practice this morning. Seems to go okay off the deck too, so might actually have the meddle to take 3W off the deck in comp now...maybe. If I hadn't found this stick I would've probably got an Aeroburner mini.

Top stick right there.

freddy a
1st July 2016, 05:40 PM
I have an r7 TP 3wood for sale in great nick for $80 pick up

KristianJ
9th September 2016, 12:04 PM
I've now got the ABTP courtesy of a trade with FJ.

It is indeed very good off the tee, but off the deck...well, I got a bit ambitious today on the 16th at Richmond. About 220 out, decided I'd give hitting the green in 2 a crack off a rather nice lie, and proceeded to hit the finest cold top I've ever seen. :lol:

What followed was 7 iron layup then lob wedge to a foot, so regulation par...but I doubt I'll go 3 wood off the deck in comp any time soon.

Dilemma now is the tour issue Jetty v the ABTP. Jetty is probably just ahead on points at this stage.