PDA

View Full Version : The Da Vinci Code *SPOILER*

Courty
19th May 2006, 07:37 PM
Has anyone seen this yet?
Is anyone going to see it?
If you have seen it, what did you think?

I'm going to go see it in the very near future. I thought it was a pretty good book (not as good as Angels & Demons, though) and hope the movie will be worth watching also. Ron Howard makes pretty good flicks, so I expect it will be a decent show.

On a side note, the release of the movie has brought up the whole issue again. The Vatican making press releases to denounce the theories in the book etc.
FFS! When will they get it?:confused: To buy a copy of this book, you need to go to the Fiction section of Angus & Robertsons. The story has obviously touched a nerve with the church if they are getting all defensive about it. :roll:

Jarro
19th May 2006, 07:40 PM
I've got absolutely NO interest in this whatsoever.

however, Mrs Jarro is almost peeing her dacks in anticipation .... she's read the book like 20 times already :roll::

Webster
19th May 2006, 07:52 PM
Whats it all about? Can someone please summarise the whole thing for me in 50 words or less.

Thanks

Jack

Courty
19th May 2006, 07:55 PM
Whats it all about? Can someone please summarise the whole thing for me in 50 words or less.

Thanks

Jack

:roll:

A murder inside the Louvre and clues in Da Vinci paintings lead to the discovery of a religious mystery protected by a secret society for two thousand years -- which could shake the foundations of Christianity.

BrisVegas
19th May 2006, 07:58 PM
Wifey and I are going Sat week in Gold Class. I've enjoyed his books, but even if the movie is crap... it's still 3 hours in a comfy chair!

goughy
19th May 2006, 08:20 PM
I could build you one of those comfy chairs vegas and you could save yourself the gold class fees.

Of course you don't want to know much I charge for those comfy chairs :o

BrisVegas
19th May 2006, 08:23 PM
I saw the chairs I want in the SuperAmart catalog the other day. It's a row of 4 x recliners in deep red leather with armrest cupholders etc... Would look great in the home theatre...

one day...

Grunt
19th May 2006, 08:44 PM
I am with Jarro, absolutely no interest at all.

goughy
19th May 2006, 09:08 PM
I saw the chairs I want in the SuperAmart catalog the other day. It's a row of 4 x recliners in deep red leather with armrest cupholders etc... Would look great in the home theatre...

one day...

If it was in superamart then the only thing leather about them is the smell they spray on them to smell like leather.

Actually, it often is really leather, but pretty cr#p.

Most of those leather suites at amart cost less than what it would cost me to buy decent leather wholesale to recover them.

One company I do the upholstery for told me that a Rubelli store offered to supply them their leather for $5 a square metre. From me they pay starting price of about $65 a square metre, and my % markup is half of what a large chain retailer charges. How good must their leather be???

BrisVegas
19th May 2006, 09:17 PM
If it was in superamart then the only thing leather about them is the smell they spray on them to smell like leather.

Actually, it often is really leather, but pretty cr#p.

my father-in-law is an upholsterer too, who's been a furniture snob as long as I've known him. He now works for superamart..... Sales people have to make commissions and the market has moved to what superamart offers.... sad, but true.

markTHEblake
19th May 2006, 09:25 PM
I am not going to see it, but I read that the critics at the previews laughed themselves silly when it was revealed who the last remaining descendant of Jesus was. If you have seen it please let me know - i need a good laugh.

Webster
19th May 2006, 10:01 PM
I am not going to see it, but I read that the critics at the previews laughed themselves silly when it was revealed who the last remaining descendant of Jesus was. If you have seen it please let me know - i need a good laugh.

Warnie?

PRC
19th May 2006, 10:02 PM
I thought the book was okay but not fantastic, it wasn't hard to figure out who the bad guy was and I read the Holy Blood Holy Grail book 10 years ago so the "Jesus had kids" thing wasn't new to me.
I'd rather a round of golf than an afternoon watching the movie. Russell Crowe would have been a better casting choice than Hanks too.

goughy
19th May 2006, 10:59 PM
I heard that Mel Gibson was suggested as a better choice then Hanks by someone associated with the book.

mike
19th May 2006, 11:10 PM
Saw it today. The movie is excellent and I loved the book.

Hanks was great as Langdon, casting Crowe in that role would have been a disaster.

Audrey Tautou is absolutely gorgeous. Nearly as good looking as my missus.

Courty, I agree Angels and Demons was a great read, but I found the ending a bit silly. ( The helicopter bit )

Have you read Digital Fortress ?

markTHEblake
19th May 2006, 11:54 PM
The story has obviously touched a nerve with the church if they are getting all defensive about it. :roll:

Its a really good point you make, everyone knows its a Fiction story, howwever when Fact and Fiction are mixed together people will not be able to discern between what is real and what is not, regardless of the subject.

That is why the Churches are so defensive.

Same goes for any movie loosely based on historical facts. There is still an entire generation out there who believe that David Niven blew up the river Kwai Bridge. ( I have been on that bridge, its still there, it always was )

Courty
20th May 2006, 08:23 AM
Hanks was great as Langdon, casting Crowe in that role would have been a disaster.
After reading the book, my impression was that a slightly younger Harrison Ford would suit the part really well. Hanks is a great actor, but based on the character, this wasn't really the role for him.

Courty, I agree Angels and Demons was a great read, but I found the ending a bit silly. ( The helicopter bit )
Oh yeah, the helicopter bit. I stood on the bridge in front of the Castel Sant'Angelo last year looking around and thinking "nup, no way that could've happenened." But apart from that artictic license, the whole chain of symbols etc was very well put together. Those symbols really do exist too. I've got some photos of them to post, but Flickr seems to be down atm.

Have you read Digital Fortress ?
Nope. I never got around to it. I did read Deception Point, though. I thought it would make a pretty good movie, too.

Iain
20th May 2006, 08:40 AM
I saw it on Thursday in Gold Class. I thought it was excellent, but the book was better, only because it goes into the detail better, I think it would help having read the book when seeng the movie.

I thought Tom Hanks was well suited to the role. I also prefered the ending in the book.

But well worth it.

Flowergirl
20th May 2006, 09:35 AM
Hoping to see it this afternoon before too much hype spoils it for me. I read the book and was entertained by it. Thats what I like in a book or a movie. I'll tell you what I think :)

connico
20th May 2006, 05:24 PM
its not ****, but it aint good either....

i wouldnt bother if you dont have 2 1/2 hour to spare.....

markTHEblake
20th May 2006, 05:34 PM
Connico, you better delete that, a lot of people are going to very angry with you.

Its very very bad manners and ignorant to post spoilers in a public place, and that is a big one.

not that i care, but a lot of people will.

goughy
20th May 2006, 06:06 PM
Well, I probably wasn't gonna see the movie but at least I don't have to worry about reading the book either. And all the time I thought the butler did it!!

AndyP
20th May 2006, 07:55 PM
connico, do you have any forum etiquette? Extremely poor form.
I've edited the heading for now.

I thought it was a pretty good book (not as good as Angels & Demons, though)
I read all four of Dan Brown's books back to back (in order, not that it matters), and I agree that A&D was the best.
I rarely go to the cinema though, so I guess I'll be watching it on DVD. Fortunately, I already know the ending........

connico
20th May 2006, 09:05 PM
ops my bad......should have just removed the entry andy...

if you havnt read the book..sorry, if you plan to see the movie...sorry...

but you got suckered into the hype.

BrisVegas
20th May 2006, 10:15 PM
connico - just this once.... STFU

Jono
20th May 2006, 10:30 PM
connico - just this once.... STFU

:smt043 :smt082

You've been waiting for the chance to use that, ey? :lol:

AndyP
21st May 2006, 11:25 AM
ops my bad......should have just removed the entry andy...
Why? It's not my job to stop you from looking like an ass. :razz:

connico
22nd May 2006, 12:48 PM
true true, but it...ahh f*(k it...

Courty
22nd May 2006, 12:51 PM
I saw the film last night. Quite enjoyable. Follows the book very closely (from memory). Of course, like any movie adapted from a book, a lot of finer detail is left out, otherwise we would have movies going for 5 or 6 hours :roll:. Even after seeing it though, I still don't think that Tom Hanks quite fits the role.

Flowergirl
22nd May 2006, 03:26 PM
Saw the movie on Sat. If you enjoyed the movie you'll enjoy the book. I had no problems with any of the casting. Thought Tom Hanks was very believable - all a matter of your own perceptions when you read the book.
Well worth seeing.
Anyone seem Mission Impossible 3?