PDA

View Full Version : Joining a course

West
16th June 2016, 02:43 PM
Hi all. Currently hit 130 for 18 holes and do enjoy the game. Can't say the same for those who play with me though :)

If I were to join a club ie liverpool GC, would I be able to play in the weekly comps with such scores?

Rascal
16th June 2016, 02:52 PM
As someone that shoots similar scores... yes. the one condition would be make sure you maintain pace of play, ie when playing stableford, once you cant score any more, pick up. and move on. Most people are pretty happy to play with whomever as long as your a decent person and keep up with pace of play. Those who don'r aren't worth your time.

oldracer
16th June 2016, 03:24 PM
Not sure if it's everywhere but our club tends to like hcp people, I.e. Low cappers together etc so I'm sure any club would welcome a new member with the above proviso. If you haven't played comp before, don't worry, let them know and they will put you with a good bunch that will help you along, happy hitting

Hatchman
16th June 2016, 05:11 PM
As long as your not slow about it won't be a problem.

Don't be the guy that's last to his ball when he needs to be first to play the next shot than have 3 practice swings and waits for paint to dry while standing over the actual shot.

goughy
16th June 2016, 06:46 PM
Yep, ready play is the key. You don't have to run, but don't dawdle to your ball. There's nothing wrong with having a practice swing, but I've played with plenty of high handicappers who will have 4, 5, or more. Just a waste of time to use that many. And you'll waste the good swing, which was probably your second.

You've got as much right as anyone else to be out there. Just remember your limitations, keep your pace of play up without rushing yourself, and enjoy yourself. If you do that, and have a good time out there and are good company, then most members will be happy to play with you.

There will be higher hc'ers who will be slower than you, but there will be low hc'ers who will be slower too.

Shadesy
16th June 2016, 06:57 PM
Just join, you will get better, ask members, they are happy to help.

To many are scared to join, but once you do, you will wonder what you were waiting for.

PerryGroves
16th June 2016, 07:16 PM
Forget gibberers and their place of play stuff, half a chance one of them is the guy they are talking about.

Jump in, join the club, ask for some help, meet some punters and enjoy your golf (regardless of score).

West
16th June 2016, 07:17 PM
If the ball flies into the bush, what's a reasonable looking time before I drop a new ball?

How many shots max in a hole before I just pick up a ball and move to the next?

Daves
16th June 2016, 07:22 PM
If the ball flies into the bush, what's a reasonable looking time before I drop a new ball?

How many shots max in a hole before I just pick up a ball and move to the next?

You have 5 minutes under the rules, but it shouldn't take more than a couple to establish it is lost. No drop though, you have to go back to where you hit the last shot from for a lost ball. You can hit a provisional shot if there a suggestion right from the start that you are not going to find it.

I am assuming you will have a handicap of 36, the max, so that is 2 shots on each hole. So the hole par + your 2 shots + 2 more and you will be out of the scoring.

Captain Nemo
17th June 2016, 05:01 AM
I shoot similar scores as you.
I just joined a new club.
Do it, get stuck in, read the rules book, keep up pace etc...
Your h/cap will drop once you play regularly anyway.
You'll be fine.

Chapzzzz
17th June 2016, 09:17 AM
Pace of play and watch where your ball finishes up...

tim_golfer2
17th June 2016, 10:50 AM
I just joined a new club.
Do it, get stuck in, read the rules book, keep up pace etc...
Your h/cap will drop once you play regularly anyway.
You'll be fine.
;) Being a newbie Captain, your outdated equipment's probably holding you back. You need to really commit and spend more money on your sport....particularly putters (and shafts and backyard greens and.......).

Captain Nemo
17th June 2016, 10:53 AM
;) Being a newbie Captain, your outdated equipment's probably holding you back. You need to really commit and spend more money on your sport....particularly putters (and shafts and backyard greens and.......).👍

wazandnic
17th June 2016, 10:56 AM

Ha! Flusha...

Hard_Pan
17th June 2016, 12:20 PM
We've had a few new people show up at our club after a recent marketing push by our new managers and some of them really do seem to struggle getting clean contact but hey, any new member who is keen to support the club and willing to have an honest go is more than welcome here and I'll bet you find that will be the attitude of just about any club you choose to join.

wazamac
17th June 2016, 07:10 PM
Join, Have Fun, Have a talk to the Pro and he may suggest a couple of groups that you may fit in.
I sometimes play with a guy that has a slight mental disability and always happy to help with the rules and scoring etc.
He has now learnt the basic etiquette but still (not intentionally) gets his score wrong on the odd occasion.
I'm sure the Pro/ Club manager will help as much as they can. Good Luck.

3Puttpete
17th June 2016, 07:33 PM
I sometimes play with a guy that has a slight mental disability

Same

Lagerlover
17th June 2016, 07:51 PM
Same I know what you are but what am I??

3Puttpete
17th June 2016, 07:56 PM
Just in case anyone was wondering

WBennett
17th June 2016, 08:03 PM
Just in case anyone was wondering Dumb and Dumber