PDA

View Full Version : Which Wedges?

TimmyDye
13th June 2016, 04:40 PM
Lads,

Simple for everyone - who has which wedges and why they like them.
I need to replace a 52 and a 60 because of broken heads.

Cheers!!

Yossarian
13th June 2016, 04:43 PM
You broke the heads? Wow!

TimmyDye
13th June 2016, 04:57 PM
No, a friend of mine took my wedges to a pitch and putt for a bucks do....

Yossarian
13th June 2016, 05:08 PM
I see. For me wedges and putters are the most personal of clubs. I love my Clevelands and have always hated Vokeys. Grinds/bounces make a huge difference depending on your turf/sand etc.

Jarro
13th June 2016, 05:09 PM
I see. For me wedges and putters are the most personal of clubs. I love my Clevelands and have always hated Vokeys. Grinds/bounces make a huge difference depending on your turf/sand etc.
Indeed, good points.

Lagerlover
13th June 2016, 05:56 PM
If your mate's replacing them, the MD3s it is..

oldracer
13th June 2016, 06:32 PM
No, a friend of mine took my wedges to a pitch and putt for a bucks do....now ex-friend?

TimmyDye
13th June 2016, 06:33 PM
Lol no, we are square as I broke his driver on his brothers bucks do... 907's aren't cheap lol

oldracer
13th June 2016, 06:35 PM
Lol no, we are square as I broke his driver on his brothers bucks do... 907's aren't cheap lolhaha, you guys!!!! Buy JDM and never look back!! 8-)

TheNuclearOne
13th June 2016, 07:15 PM
Lol no, we are square as I broke his driver on his brothers bucks do... 907's aren't cheap lol

Dirt cheap actually! :D

Heavy Vokey man here. There's something there for everyone with so many grinds and lofts. I've cheated on them with Callaway and Scratch over the years but i come back.

mrbluu
13th June 2016, 07:32 PM
Lads,

Simple for everyone - who has which wedges and why they like them.
I need to replace a 52 and a 60 because of broken heads.

Cheers!!
I use 50/54/58 wedges with standard grinds and mid to low bounce.

U need to figure what distance gaps u can deal with and what bounces/grinds suit u. Rule of thumb the steeper ur chipping action, more bounce u will need.

oldracer
13th June 2016, 07:49 PM
Dirt cheap actually! :D

Heavy Vokey man here. There's something there for everyone with so many grinds and lofts. I've cheated on them with Callaway and Scratch over the years but i come back.guess you need to amend your WITB JT!! Or you haven't got them in the bag at the mo?

Jazz18
14th June 2016, 07:58 AM
As most have said already, it's really a personal choice and what suits. When I play irons with a modern PW loft (45/46deg) I'll play 50, 56, 60deg. If I'm playing a set with a weak PW (48/49deg), I'll just play 56, 60deg. I'm on a bit of a Vokey train at the moment but am always looking for something better. Actually, looking for something better doesn't only apply to my wedges.............

Dotty
14th June 2016, 08:30 AM
If you're just going to keep breaking them, then just get the cheap Tommy Armour wedges from GCO.

I assume wedge finesse isn't a strong part of your game (otherwise you'd already have a favourite), so look at Cleveland RTX CB or possibly Callaway MD2/MD3 (W-grind or U-grind).

thecollective
14th June 2016, 06:47 PM
Mizuno T5's are my choice, on sale at Golfbox. I too hate Vokeys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hatchman
15th June 2016, 12:43 PM
As your mate is paying, get some Modart's.

TheNuclearOne
15th June 2016, 08:51 PM
guess you need to amend your WITB JT!! Or you haven't got them in the bag at the mo?

Ooops, yu are 100% correct! Will address on the weekend.

Jazz18
15th June 2016, 09:00 PM
As your mate is paying, get some Modart's.

Good call!

RobNewy
16th June 2016, 06:53 PM
I just brought a Mizuno S5 56*.

Looks stunning, and feels/sounds beautiful.

Picking up a 52* on Saturday

Bigbad
21st June 2016, 09:11 PM
Just sold my Mizuno S5's and replaced them with the new Vokey SM6's and it was the best decision I've made in some time. Massive difference in feel and certainly control.

dee cee
22nd June 2016, 08:17 AM
Bigbad,

Is there really that much difference between wedges nowadays? I really think they can't be that much difference in terms of quality and performance. I guess feel can alter club to club.

I too would like some new wedges and Vokey are #1 on the list though they all seem to have their benefits.

Jazz18
22nd June 2016, 10:16 AM
I just brought a Mizuno S5 56*.

Looks stunning, and feels/sounds beautiful.

Picking up a 52* on Saturday

Did you get the blue finish Rob? They look outstanding in the blue!

RobNewy
30th June 2016, 09:28 PM
Did you get the blue finish Rob? They look outstanding in the blue!

I did getbthem both in the blue. Looks incredible.

But the 56 aint real blue anymore after a bunker lesson!

Jazz18
30th June 2016, 11:05 PM
I did getbthem both in the blue. Looks incredible.

But the 56 aint real blue anymore after a bunker lesson!

LOL! Yes, imagine they wear a bit.

RobNewy
1st July 2016, 06:23 AM
LOL! Yes, imagine they wear a bit.

Surprisingly quickly actually

Slothman
1st July 2016, 12:46 PM
Surprisingly quickly actually

But they do come with that vanity sticker that warns about this ;)

Mizuno Wedges is pretty much all I have had for year...love them. Currently run the 50/54/58 S5's. They are awesome looking and performing beasties. Chipped in out of a bunker with the 58 last week and hit the pin from a bunker with the 54....love em.

Sydney Hacker
1st July 2016, 01:26 PM
Chipped in out of a bunker with the 58 last week and hit the pin from a bunker with the 54....love em. What does it say about me that I read the first bit of this as "I Chipped in and out of a bunker"?

Yossarian
1st July 2016, 01:44 PM
GK likes this.

RobNewy
1st July 2016, 01:49 PM
But they do come with that vanity sticker that warns about this ;)Mizuno Wedges is pretty much all I have had for year...love them. Currently run the 50/54/58 S5's. They are awesome looking and performing beasties. Chipped in out of a bunker with the 58 last week and hit the pin from a bunker with the 54....love em. I didnt read the sticker, but i did have my first ever eagle with the 56 in its debut appearance. Pitched in from 88m on a par 4

Thesloth96
4th July 2016, 09:38 PM
Cleveland wedges for me... I can't see the difference in performance to justify spending the extra on vokeys or anything

Hatchman
5th July 2016, 12:06 AM
These will be next on my agenda after NSW champs.
Only need 2 thou.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160704/3ff66cceb97bc16c09dc8a04bce80359.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160704/ecdcd36f51a8cbe30b2fa5f67f2ac1a4.jpg

Icestorm959
5th July 2016, 12:12 AM
Where can you get them in Australia? Haven't seen them for sale anywhere.

Hatchman
5th July 2016, 01:09 AM
No where that I know of.
Just going to take a leap of faith and import from the US and see how they go.
If they don't work there's always the OzGolf pro shop [emoji3].

Coopers Country
5th July 2016, 08:27 AM
2 thou or 2 though?

thecollective
5th July 2016, 11:32 AM
Cleveland wedges for me... I can't see the difference in performance to justify spending the extra on vokeys or anything

Especially if your expecting an improvement in performance for the extra dough; my Macgregor DW wedge feels better than a Vokey and it was $25

mrbluu
5th July 2016, 12:15 PM
When they don't work there's always the OzGolf pro shop [emoji3].

FTFY :mrgreen:

mrbluu
5th July 2016, 01:06 PM

Especially if your expecting an improvement in performance for the extra dough; my Macgregor DW wedge feels better than a Vokey and it was $25

Posts reported for being Anti-Ozgolf!!! :lol:

thecollective
5th July 2016, 01:17 PM
mrbluu: I reckon the pros get an entirely different vokey wedge design to the mass produced product; but I would be happy to for someone to correct me

mrbluu
5th July 2016, 01:30 PM
mrbluu: I reckon the pros get an entirely different vokey wedge design to the mass produced product; but I would be happy to for someone to correct me

Not sure why you bought up Pro Version of Vokeys??

I was just taking the piss that you 2 are anti-hoing!!!

Johnny Canuck
5th July 2016, 01:52 PM

In what way?

3oneday
5th July 2016, 01:58 PM
In what way?they work.

Johnny Canuck
5th July 2016, 02:10 PM
they work.

That is definitely one difference

TheNuclearOne
5th July 2016, 03:57 PM
There's a few vokey grinds out on tour that come in bounces not available to buy. A lot also have extra personal grinding done. Heaps are off the shelf too.

Bigbad
7th July 2016, 05:15 PM
Bigbad,

Is there really that much difference between wedges nowadays? I really think they can't be that much difference in terms of quality and performance. I guess feel can alter club to club.

I too would like some new wedges and Vokey are #1 on the list though they all seem to have their benefits.

Sorry I'm late Dee Cee. I do believe there is, especially if you watch what Vokey has done to these new wedges. Moving the COG around the face depending on the loft has given them a completely different feel. I played the SM5's and I liked them, then when i went to Mizuno irons I decided to match them with the Mizuno wedges. They felt a little clunky but I figured it was just me adjusting to new clubs, after about 6 months the SM6's came out and the club pro let me take his out for a spin as they were the same specs as what I play. I literally played one shot with a 54.08 wedge and the feel was astronomically different. It was two bounce stop, just full control. Instantly made a decision that I was going to get myself a set. Best decision I've made, and i'm so happy with the 3 wedges I got, I've decided to add the 46.08 to replace my current pitching wedge. Do yourself a favour and get them.

Beno
15th July 2016, 08:20 AM
I'm a Vokey whore and I'm not ashamed at all. They're the only thing I have found that is heavy enough for me, anything lighter and i just chillidip it all day.

That being said i haven't tried an extensive range of wedges as a lot of guys would have on here, particularly the JDM front etc - i like my 54's :)

benno_r
15th July 2016, 08:26 AM
A have a few wedge sets, and my favourites are probably my Nike VR forged, though my Scratch 1018's are tidy as well. Have a set of sm5's, and find myself moving away from them - does a lot of things things well but nothing great.

Tested a PM grind Callaway on Wednesday, probably the most surprised / impressed I have been with a wedge for a while.

meh
15th July 2016, 04:11 PM
Cleveland for me. I'm just about to list my cally md3 in the pro shop.

Jazz18
19th July 2016, 07:25 PM
A have a few wedge sets, and my favourites are probably my Nike VR forged, though my Scratch 1018's are tidy as well. Have a set of sm5's, and find myself moving away from them - does a lot of things things well but nothing great.

Tested a PM grind Callaway on Wednesday, probably the most surprised / impressed I have been with a wedge for a while.

What loft in the PM grind you got Benno?

benno_r
19th July 2016, 08:19 PM
What loft in the PM grind you got Benno?

I tested a 56, but ended up ordering a 58 along with an s grind md3 54.

Jazz18
19th July 2016, 08:43 PM
I tested a 56, but ended up ordering a 58 along with an s grind md3 54.

Nice. I looked at the 60 a while back and quite liked it but just haven't got around to buying one. Was tossing the idea around that I might have liked a 64 in the bag as well but I'm no Phil Mickelson.

mrbluu
20th July 2016, 01:53 PM
I got a contact that will have these. Price will be around. $220-240 depending on exchange rate.

3Puttpete
20th July 2016, 02:15 PM
I got a contact that will have these. Price will be around. $220-240 depending on exchange rate.

You gotta see how your dong compares?

mrbluu
20th July 2016, 02:26 PM
You gotta see how your dong compares?
My dong has nothing to do with it, it's all USD [emoji1]

YonexMan
15th September 2016, 10:51 AM
I have the Mizuno S5's in 50deg and 56deg in my bag. Love them. I compared them on my launch monitor to the Cleveland RTX 2.0 wedges and found that the Cleveland wedges had a bit less spin - and this caused them to carry more distance. Testing was done using the Bridgestone B330RX ball.

I found that the S5 has more of a head heavy feel during the swing, whereas the Cleveland not so much - almost a kind of counterbalanced type feel.

Personally I like the head heavy feel as for me, it gives me a feel for where the club head is during the downswing.

I used to use Vokey SM4's - but could never come to grips with them for some reason. Not sure what the issue was.