PDA

View Full Version : Etiquette

wavemaker
30th July 2004, 12:09 PM
Gooday all, to help me learn all the ins and outs and dos and donts of the game could you all post your favourite etiquette stories. you know, the things that really piss you off and the ones that make you glad you play the game.

wavemaker
30th July 2004, 01:03 PM
sixtyniner i think we could do, both but please be very clear about which one is which. we wouldnt want something like sending the apprentice to the store for a left handed screwdriver and a long weight would we.

3oneday
30th July 2004, 01:33 PM
Something that really pi$$ed me off last weekend, a relative newcomer to the game did the following all day:

was always walking slowly behind the rest of us
when he did arrive at his ball, he took forever to hit the damn thing, ie the stand there so long he looked like a statue
was never ready to hit when it was his turn.

By the end, he was standing there for so bloody long, followed by the expected duff, I was saying to the others, "well, he took a long time to %U$% that up". Still shook his hand at the end. And no, I didn't say anything to him, apart from the "we'd better hurry, we're losing ground", because its not my place and I don't need the aggro.

Love always

Pete

Fishman Dan
30th July 2004, 01:50 PM
Just a little something, but not meant to contradict you here Pete... and i know AP has had this problem, but playing in a group means you play in a group.

I regularly 'crash' other groups at my course and play with partners who have played together for year, so often i might be the last to tee off. By the time you hit your tee shot, look where it lands, pick up your tee, holster your gun and grab your bag, the other 3 players have made a 50 metre head-start up the fairway - they started walking as soon as your ball touched titanium. If you are the shortest drive, you're playing catch up'n'hit, not conducive to a good round.

Try and hold the group together - however if you've got a slow player (as per Pete's new pal) then it's a different situation.

3oneday
30th July 2004, 02:59 PM
but playing in a group means you play in a group.

Generally I would agree, but it could be said that if people showed a bit of urgency or consideration we may all get finished a lot quicker. As my mate (not the slow one) said when he wandered in front of someone "Yeah, sorry, I thought it was my golf course !!!.

Pete

markTHEblake
30th July 2004, 03:24 PM
The only Ettiquette issues that piss me off is when people are complaining about the lack of Ettiquette of others.

Golf is meant to be enjoyed, if someone playing slowly blah blah is ruining your day then, great. How much do you want to play for?

Jarro
30th July 2004, 03:26 PM
one of the things i hate most is when the group ahead decides that after finally putting out ... they decide to mark their cards right in the middle of the green :x

big nono [-X

3oneday
30th July 2004, 03:27 PM
How much do you want to play for?

English version of this please ??? 5 bucks a hole do ???

AndyP
4th August 2004, 05:10 PM
Walking in front of me in the general intended line of my shot is not only annoying, but dangerous (to them and their equipment). :wink:

goughy
4th August 2004, 07:47 PM
I don't know andy, I'd think standing in front of your intended line of play as being one of the safer spots to stand during your stroke :lol: :lol: :wink:

Fishman Dan
5th August 2004, 08:00 AM
All this talk about 'through-lines' - the 3 feet past the hole on any putt. This is going a little too far - it's not like 150 other pairs of feet haven't already stepped in that area to pluck their ball from it once they've completed it?!

AndyP
5th August 2004, 09:41 AM
I don't know andy, I'd think standing in front of your intended line of play as being one of the safer spots to stand during your stroke :lol: :lol: :wink:
That's why I said "general intended line". :wink:

All this talk about 'through-lines' - the 3 feet past the hole on any putt. This is going a little too far - it's not like 150 other pairs of feet haven't already stepped in that area to pluck their ball from it once they've completed it?!
I heard some commentators talking about fresh footprints the other day, so maybe it does? :?

terryand
5th August 2004, 10:50 AM
On bent greens you can leave a footprint for a few minutes.But after this time the grass stands up again.

Terry.