PDA

View Full Version : Dunheved GC and floods 6/6/16

wazandnic
7th June 2016, 09:15 PM
Couldn't find any other threads about Dunheved GC so starting a new thread. I know lots of courses suffered from the floods over the weekend but seems Dunheved maybe copped it the worstest!

http://www.golfnsw.org/news-display/dunheved-destroyed-by-weekend-rain/93373

wazandnic
7th June 2016, 09:17 PM
This thread has some interesting pics of courses affected in NSW

http://www.golfnsw.org/news-display/cleanup-begins-after-wild-weekend/93358

Wollongong and Mac Links look pretty dire also!

Captain Nemo
7th June 2016, 09:31 PM
Saw some pics on their insta feed, unbelievable!!!

Grunt
7th June 2016, 09:45 PM
Mac Grange would have been flooded for sure. When I was a member there it flooded on a couple of days heavy rain several times.

jimandr
7th June 2016, 10:09 PM
Very impressive. What will be almost as impressive is how quickly some of those courses will bounce back.

It is a pity there were no pics of New Brighton. All the holes on the flat section by the river will be stuffed. Strathfield will be another one. Hopefully our colleagues at Penrith will have taken a pic or two. I remember a previous flood where the entire 18th, practice area and the hole that runs away at 90 degrees (15?) was about 10 feet under.

Ballina, on the other hand, is totally dry after copping our 250mm. It was covered in tree branches (and a few trees down) but the water has gone already. I'll be playing tomorrow.

wazandnic
7th June 2016, 10:15 PM
Yeah agree, New Brighton, Liverpool, Bankstown, Riverlands, I reckon would all have been a little under. More pics may surface.

But yep Eastlake was open yesterday for play and today allowed carts out on the course. Advantage of a sand base!

Dare say Dunheved might be closed for business for a couple of days.

Peppas
7th June 2016, 10:21 PM
Cabras been closed the last couple of days... playing there tomorrow so it will be interesting to see how it has recovered...

Grunt
7th June 2016, 10:32 PM
Very impressive. What will be almost as impressive is how quickly some of those courses will bounce back.

It is a pity there were no pics of New Brighton. All the holes on the flat section by the river will be stuffed. Strathfield will be another one. Hopefully our colleagues at Penrith will have taken a pic or two. I remember a previous flood where the entire 18th, practice area and the hole that runs away at 90 degrees (15?) was about 10 feet under.

Ballina, on the other hand, is totally dry after copping our 250mm. It was covered in tree branches (and a few trees down) but the water has gone already. I'll be playing tomorrow.

New Brighton would have the added problem of all the exposed dirt at the top of the hill from the old holes running down towards the river.

Drove past Penrith today and the holes that were viewable from the road were looking good. That said the other holes down the back are lower.

JADO75
7th June 2016, 10:40 PM
Windsor was closed yesterday due to being under water

Kaniss
8th June 2016, 09:38 AM
Yeah agree, New Brighton, Liverpool, Bankstown, Riverlands, I reckon would all have been a little under. More pics may surface.

But yep Eastlake was open yesterday for play and today allowed carts out on the course. Advantage of a sand base!

Dare say Dunheved might be closed for business for a couple of days.

I've seen the Livo pics, it was well under.

pt73
8th June 2016, 10:57 AM
My course (Manly GC) has been closed until today and is only partially open today as the combination of rain and the king tide flooded the north paddock so it's closed until all the debris can be removed and bunkers etc. repaired.

Compared to what happened at Dunheved we got off lightly.

FuzzyJuzzy
10th June 2016, 10:53 PM
Liverpool closed since Sunday. Opening tomorrow and Sunday as an 11-hole composite course, routing is 10,14, 3-9, 1,18. Shitloads of silt still across the course apparently.
Apparently Cabramatta opened on Wednesday and had 140 dudes in carts on the course that day. Crazy impressive if that was the case. I'll be at Cabra tomorrow morning, will see how it fares.

FuzzyJuzzy
10th June 2016, 10:54 PM
Feel sorry for Dunheved. Has 3OD been out there to sus it out??

Dotty
11th June 2016, 05:24 AM
Apparently Cabramatta opened on Wednesday and had 140 dudes in carts on the course that day. Crazy impressive if that was the case. I'll be at Cabra tomorrow morning, will see how it fares.
Same at Pennant Hills, but carts restricted to medical certificate holders.

Dry under foot, which surprised me, but all bunkers were GUR. Lot of leaf blower and woodchipper noise though.

fredstar
11th June 2016, 06:01 AM
Bonnie Doon was dry as a bone on wednesday!

Captain Nemo
11th June 2016, 09:01 AM
Bonnie Doon was dry as a bone on wednesday!
It was dry really on Monday!
Surprised how good It looked, as the winds where ferocious on the coast.
Not sure if they got the wind strength out west, but obviously the water with all the rivers and creaks around out there overflowing....
Hope they recover soon, cracking weekend for golf.

Jazz18
11th June 2016, 09:21 AM
You guys in the east with sand based courses are lucky. Your courses drain so well and so quickly. Ryde Parramatta was closed for a couple of days but is now open with carts running again. Haven't been out there since the rains but I dare say there will still be a few damp patches out there for a while. I feel bad for the members and staff at Dunheved and other courses that got hit really hard. Saw some photos from Dunheved and the cleanup looks like it will be enormous.

3oneday
11th June 2016, 09:22 AM
Feel sorry for Dunheved. Has 3OD been out there to sus it out??playing there tomorrow, haven't been for quite a while but felt it was the right thing to do.

mrbluu
11th June 2016, 10:22 AM
Cabra has recovered really well. It's a bit soft under foot but it's not wet at all. A few bunkers are out of play, but everything else is pretty good

3oneday
11th June 2016, 02:57 PM
I have a couple of spots at 11:45 tomorrow at Dunheved if anyone is interested.

Captain Nemo
11th June 2016, 03:01 PM
Bet you do.... ;)

KristianJ
11th June 2016, 03:19 PM
I have a couple of spots at 11:45 tomorrow at Dunheved if anyone is interested. I'll take one please, Pete. 2032004849 if you need the GL #.

FuzzyJuzzy
11th June 2016, 03:40 PM
Other than a bunch of bunkers being out of play - I managed to find the ones that WERE in play - Cabra was in pretty awesome nick this morning. Some soft patches and one or two roped off areas, but really no evidence other than the bunkers of the downpour last weekend. I was very impressed.

3oneday
11th June 2016, 04:42 PM
I'll take one please, Pete. 2032004849 if you need the GL #.

No probs Kristian, see you then.

gumby
12th June 2016, 12:41 AM
Played dunheved yesterday. Been a member there for 9 years nvr seen the extent of damage ever before. Cart paths have eroded away, steps up to the tees were non existant, Sand from bunkers were gone. Debris every where on the fairway. Pretty sad seeing the course like that, it was in really good nick.

wazandnic
12th June 2016, 08:09 AM
Tis sad Gumb. Amazing that they could get it open again so quick. Although I guess they need to to get revenue flowing in straight away. Green Keepers going to be busy for a little while!

Jazz18
12th June 2016, 08:41 AM
Amazed to hear Dunheved is open so quickly. Couldn't believe the photos when I saw them. Thought they'd be shut for weeks. The staff must have done an incredible job to get it playable. Will be interested to hear what 3OD and KJ say about it as well.

KristianJ
12th June 2016, 03:03 PM
More than playable IMO. It's pretty comparable to how it was last time I played here.

Fair few bunkers are in a playable state, greens rolling well, most of the ground feels pretty dry underfoot.

I was expecting far worse.

KristianJ
12th June 2016, 03:20 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160612/3a55ed9ce9fd3414ca97c7e1cde63af7.jpg

Besides the 14th green looking a bit worse for wear (should probably put a temp in for a couple of weeks), not much else to be worried about at all.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

3oneday
12th June 2016, 06:08 PM
Very playable, even the rough, where I spent the day, was fine.

Jazz18
12th June 2016, 10:48 PM
Great to hear. Haven't played there for years but sounds like it's recovered well. Good stuff.

wazandnic
13th June 2016, 10:51 AM
Great stuff! I think the luck was that it's been quite dry, the rain came quick and then went, didn't have say a week of it flooding, and then it's been dry and relatively warm since.

3oneday
13th June 2016, 12:34 PM
They could do with some rain, wash the beautiful silt in.