PDA

View Full Version : DVD Setup

3oneday
17th May 2006, 11:07 PM
OK, technically inept, spent a few hours tonight trying to attach my (my wifes) new DVD recorder to the tele, with no success whatsoever.

We have a pretty simple setup I think, we have the TV, the Optus Cable box and the DVD. I would have thought with the new technology that I could have "simply" unplugged the cables from the VCR and plugged them into the DVD, not so !!!!!

The DVD is a Samsung DVD-R121, the manual goes from "this is how you plug it in" to "here is the input screen".... hello, don't I need to tune the TV to find it or something ?? cause it aint jumping out and saying here I am !!!!

It also says in there that I should be using cables from the DVD direct into the TV, but my Optus Cable is using those "in" connections for the AV1 setting.

Anyone help ???

Pete

Grunt
17th May 2006, 11:14 PM
Does your TV have AV2? If not,Unless the optus box has a "Video In" you will need to buy a AV selector or something of the like. Was the video going through the optus box?

3oneday
17th May 2006, 11:31 PM
Yes, the TV has AV2.

The TV Antenna goes into the back of the Optus box, as does the Cable. It had one cable going from it to the VCR and two cables into the TV (a red and a black one). I worked these out to be the AV connections.

3oneday
17th May 2006, 11:41 PM
Thanks Grant, AV2 it is !!!

markTHEblake
17th May 2006, 11:55 PM
If your TV has an AV1 then there has to be an AV2 somewhere. otherwise why the bloody hell would they number it.

This aint rocket science. :-)
Yellow plug, yellow hole, white plug, white hole, red plug, red hole.

whatever it is you have that only has a Red and a Black is a dinosaur, chuck it away for heavens sake.

now i am waiting for some moron to give you a lecture on the virtues of HDMI or DVI connections.

3oneday
18th May 2006, 12:12 AM
Yeah, AV1 at the back of the tele, AV2 at the front !!! That sucks a little.

Optus gave me the red and black, that's a different story altogether !!!

Pete

miro
18th May 2006, 07:56 AM
Mate,

Take some of the funds from Pete Ho Down sale and buy a tele that was at least made in the last decade, that will make life a whole lot easier and prettier.

3oneday
18th May 2006, 08:18 AM
Mate,

Take some of the funds from Pete Ho Down sale and buy a tele that was at least made in the last decade, that will make life a whole lot easier and prettier.Miro, our tele is only as old as our oldest.... hopefully it will last until our oldests youngest is here !!!

By the way, how do you reckon I bought the DVD ??? ;)

:lol:

AndyP
18th May 2006, 09:39 AM
Yeah, AV1 at the back of the tele, AV2 at the front !!! That sucks a little.
I'd prefer one at the front, as the back of the TV isn't very accessible.

miro
18th May 2006, 09:41 AM
Ap,

Surely its a permenant plug in so you don't need readily available access.

AndyP
18th May 2006, 09:45 AM
Ap,

Surely its a permenant plug in so you don't need readily available access.
I'd just like it for additional devices that aren't a permanent fixture in the room, such as the video camera and PS2.

It's not a huge issue, as I have a workaround.

connico
18th May 2006, 10:00 AM
I would use the VCR, it will have a line in and you can plug you dvd into that, you just have to turn on your VCR and turn it to Line In 1 or 2 before you can watch dvd. If you have an amp then just connect the sound directly into it.

i hate cables sticking out in front of my tv..its a real ***** and i cant stand it, so you can go through the vcr if it has line in, which it should, if its less than 15 years old lol

3oneday
18th May 2006, 10:09 AM
i hate cables sticking out in front of my tv..its a real ***** and i cant stand it, so you can go through the vcr if it has line in, which it should, if its less than 15 years old loloh har har.....

The dvd records, and we have no room for both. I guess we just unplug when little kids are around....

Pete

Fishman Dan
18th May 2006, 11:15 AM
Usually teev's with AV2 in the front have both AV1 and 2 in the back??

So, did you buy Tour RCA plugs to connect it all up?

3oneday
18th May 2006, 11:51 AM
Usually teev's with AV2 in the front have both AV1 and 2 in the back??

So, did you buy Tour RCA plugs to connect it all up?english please Baldy, english !!!!!

It's an LG with the eye thingo that adjusts the picture to the light in the room. It's only 8 years old !!!

Then, I can see where this could lead me, so I will shut it !!!

:lol:

Fishman Dan
18th May 2006, 12:26 PM
RCA plug = Cordy-bit with the Red/white/yellow plastic sheath on the end, and a pointy thing coming out of it. Yes, the male end.

Layman enough for you? And who are you calling baldy?! :lol:

3oneday
18th May 2006, 02:04 PM
RCA plug = Cordy-bit with the Red/white/yellow plastic sheath on the end, and a pointy thing coming out of it. Yes, the male end.

Layman enough for you? And who are you calling baldy?! :lol:ohhh, the red yellow white cordy thingo, it came with it. I didn't see a serial but I have heard they can be sanded off ???

Fellow baldy

Jarro
18th May 2006, 02:18 PM
just pay some prick $50 to come and hook it up for you Pete, you have plenty of money ;)

connico
18th May 2006, 02:21 PM
ill do it for free, you can trust this asian...

i wont run away with your dvd player and leave you with junk???..i wont..promise..

and if the tv is only 8 years old, it should have an 3 sets of composite in the back..