PDA

View Full Version : How can we 'sexy' up golf?

thegolfmarketer
3rd June 2016, 02:42 PM
After doing extensive research and reading about the golf industry and its participation levels with younger players, lower income earners and players from different countries, it got me thinking how we can 'sexy' up the sport to increase participation levels and general interest in the game. For example, cricket has gone from boring old traditionalist 5 day test cricket and phased out 50 over cricket, to T20 cricket which has completely spiked participation levels, money being put into the game and overall excitement that has been sparked around the sport. Now I am in no way suggesting we change the rules or format of golf, but how can we jazz this sport up in the means of technology, social media and modern day trends possibly at the expense of some of the traditions of the game? I really see a bleak future for golf if we don't modernise the sport up completely to match the social trends of the younger people. These trends generate $$$$$$!!!!! Thanks for reading and please let me know some of your thoughts and feedback. -The Golf Marketer

Yossarian
3rd June 2016, 02:43 PM
Boobie gif friday?

Daves
3rd June 2016, 02:44 PM
Boobie gif friday?
And a Lingerie League on the LGPA!

thegolfmarketer
3rd June 2016, 02:45 PM
Sex sells, hey! Thanks for commenting.

3oneday
3rd June 2016, 02:47 PM
You'll be replying a LOT around here ;)

thegolfmarketer
3rd June 2016, 02:50 PM
Why's that?

backintheswing
3rd June 2016, 03:02 PM
We need our halfway house food list updated. Pies and hotdogs are not cutting it with the younger guys. They want asian beef noodle salad, yoghurt with berries and nuts and chi tea. I'm an old prick and love my pies, sausage rolls and hot dogs though, and 2 or 3 xxxx

thegolfmarketer
3rd June 2016, 03:07 PM
Great idea! I'm a younger bloke myself and loved the traditional options, but a bit more to choose from would be good!!!

mrbluu
3rd June 2016, 03:16 PM
Golf doesn't get anymore sexy than this!!!

WBennett
3rd June 2016, 03:20 PM
More Shadeselina makes golf sexier

mrbluu
3rd June 2016, 03:20 PM
More Shadeselina makes golf sexier
It doesn't count unless there are photos in this thread!!!!

AndyP
3rd June 2016, 03:22 PM
Craft beers need to be in the clubhouse.

The game needs to be shorter too.

keymaster
3rd June 2016, 03:24 PM
Paige Spiranac

thegolfmarketer
3rd June 2016, 03:24 PM
41447Like this?????

thegolfmarketer
3rd June 2016, 03:27 PM
Awesome, thanks mate.

Captain Nemo
3rd June 2016, 03:28 PM
To the OP, have you actually met anyone on Ozgolf?
Sexy does not come to mind.....

Hard_Pan
3rd June 2016, 03:29 PM
Leave golf as it is for the purists. Make it faster, easier (should be a million ways to do this), and more fun (i.e. more reward for less effort), for the young 'uns. Version that doesn't die out wins. Simples!

Dotty
3rd June 2016, 03:35 PM
I think posts 9 and 10 are in the wrong order.

Golf needs to stay the way it is.
For 4 hours, it's a sanctuary from the worries of the outside world, and another couple having a conversation with strangers across the table.
It doesn't need bored people walking by themselves down fairways reading/writing boring shit on electronic devices with other bored people. And they won't stay around for a drink or snack, because the want to watch the T20 or the UFC.

thegolfmarketer
3rd June 2016, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback mate!

Lagerlover
3rd June 2016, 03:42 PM
goats.

SundayHack
3rd June 2016, 03:47 PM
We need our halfway house food list updated. Pies and hotdogs are not cutting it with the younger guys. They want asian beef noodle salad, yoghurt with berries and nuts and chi tea. I'm an old prick and love my pies, sausage rolls and hot dogs though, and 2 or 3 xxxx
Nothing wrong with the Macks halfway house. Those spring rolls are worth the trip in alone. I don't see Jazzdog as a chai tea drinker either.

SundayHack
3rd June 2016, 03:49 PM
I once played a charity day in a mankini. In this case less wasn't best.

damoocow
3rd June 2016, 04:34 PM
I have no interest in social media or the social trends of the 'young' - don't care if they don't want to play golf or if it costs me more because of it , or if it gets to the point where golf collapses as a sport. Plenty of other things to do. I actually found your OP comment about cricket and excitement very funny indeed.

jimandr
3rd June 2016, 04:44 PM
This is the sort of question that should be asked on Iseekgolf. They are obsessed with determining what is wrong with golf and how to fix it over there. Once you have analysed the 20 different solutions suggested, you will give up, the same as most golf associations seem to have done. More people have gone broke from trying to introduce innovative solutions to the golf problem than have lost money from the so-called decline in golf participation.

The flippant responses in this thread so far suggest that we don't really care on this site.

I'm in the camp that says there is nothing wrong with golf as it is, apart from the fact that too many people want to sexy it up.

Golf is a niche market, it always has been, and it lacks the essential qualities that make sports attractive to a really wide market.

The opening post mentions 20/20 cricket as an example of success. I'd suggest it might be the next basketball. A short-lived fad that will disappear when the next big thing comes along. You could also argue that 20/20 has its own identity rather than delivering a follow-on effect for cricket in general, so a sexified version of golf may do nothing positive for the sport in general.

Hatchman
3rd June 2016, 05:09 PM
I like that golf is one of the few things the need it now and quickly over with generation hasn't d!cked with to stuff up.
As Dotty mentioned about it's appeal to get away from things for the length of time it takes is what makes it so great not to mention it's not easy thus making it more challenging and fuels the desire to go out again and do better.

I'd rather it left alone, doesn't need tarting up imho.

Jazz18
3rd June 2016, 06:55 PM
I've got to say I'm sick and tired of hearing people say golf is broken. People who don't know much about golf will think golf is broken and not want to play with all these people saying it is. I'm glad we don't talk about that crap on here. We play golf, buy and sell clubs at an alarming rate and crap on about a whole lot of other crap. Yeah, it gets spirited sometimes but that's life. Stop wasting time trying to fix something that isn't broken and move on. If the new generation don't want to play golf as is because it's not "sexy" or "modern" or playable while using Instagram or something like that, I don't care.

backintheswing
3rd June 2016, 07:13 PM
I'm doing my bit to sexy up golf. This chick is caddying for me tomorrow.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160603/78f3ce815fec36186ef2f64f7afd63d3.jpg

JADO75
3rd June 2016, 07:42 PM
Wear a wife beater & speedos

Captain Nemo
3rd June 2016, 07:56 PM
I'm doing my bit to sexy up golf. This chick is caddying for me tomorrow.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160603/78f3ce815fec36186ef2f64f7afd63d3.jpgGold!

3Puttpete
3rd June 2016, 07:58 PM
Choose a large, dumb playing partner. Not only does it make you the sexy one, but the smart one too

highballin
3rd June 2016, 08:24 PM
I'm doing my bit to sexy up golf. This chick is caddying for me tomorrow.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160603/78f3ce815fec36186ef2f64f7afd63d3.jpg

Then the alarm will go off and you wake up

oldracer
3rd June 2016, 08:28 PM
Nice taste Ash, the young dogs GF???

backintheswing
3rd June 2016, 08:30 PM
Nice taste Ash, the young dogs GF???

Hahahahahahh. No Al. I just work with this one.

liptout
3rd June 2016, 08:46 PM
Golf doesn't get anymore sexy than this!!!

Lmao

You're an idiot!!

Ahhhh, the memories...... Good times. ;)

Slug
3rd June 2016, 08:47 PM
Choose a large, dumb playing partner. Not only does it make you the sexy one, but the smart one too

i resemble that comment!

mrbluu
3rd June 2016, 09:27 PM
i resemble that comment!
Ok you're in my group 😉

thegolfmarketer
3rd June 2016, 09:59 PM
Not saying golf is broken at all. I love traditional golf and the idea of jazzing it up. I'm young, work in the golf marketing industry and am trying to get some different opinions on what people of other demographics think. I love golf, but I don't think many people my age and younger will appeal to the sport. Thanks for the opinions guys.

Eag's
3rd June 2016, 10:21 PM
And a Lingerie League on the LGPA!

We really need a like function on this site ;)

3Puttpete
3rd June 2016, 10:24 PM
Not saying golf is broken at all. I love traditional golf and the idea of jazzing it up. I'm young, work in the golf marketing industry and am trying to get some different opinions on what people of other demographics think. I love golf, but I don't think many people my age and younger will appeal to the sport. Thanks for the opinions guys.

Your first mistake was asking golfers. I suspect most of us would be pretty happy if rounds were no longer than 4 hours. Other than that we don't need they game to be made sexy. We like it as it is.

Your second mistake was asking idiots but you probably know that now [emoji12]

thegolfmarketer
3rd June 2016, 10:32 PM
[QUOTE=3puttpete;1300705]Your first mistake was asking golfers. I suspect most of us would be pretty happy if rounds were no longer than 4 hours. Other than that we don't need they game to be made sexy. We like it as it is. Your second mistake was asking idiots but you probably know that now [emoji12][/QUOTEYou're not wrong there, my first post was a bit of market research for my work mate! Shoot me for trying :P

Shadesy
3rd June 2016, 11:31 PM
What is exactly wrong with golf?

What are you trying to achieve?

Don't discount the shadeslina idea...

Ned
4th June 2016, 12:05 AM

Only 2 or 3 ??????? :shock:

Dotty
4th June 2016, 06:41 AM
Maybe the marketer is onto something ... Jan Stephenson kicked off the golf boom of the 80s and 90s.

I wouldn't object to seeing posters of Katy Perry in a bathtub full of golf balls.

WBennett
4th June 2016, 07:45 AM

This brings sexy to golf

Slothman
9th June 2016, 03:23 PM
Yep. If pants like those in Hatchman's profile pic don't get the young ones in...frankly, I am out of ideas ;)

markTHEblake
18th June 2016, 07:04 PM
For example, cricket has gone from boring old traditionalist 5 day test cricket and phased out 50 over cricket, to T20 cricket which has completely spiked participation levels, money being put into the game and overall excitement that has been sparked around the sport.

I dont think that cricket participation levels have changed much, but certainly more people are watching the game. Golf as a spectator sport could use a lot of sexying up, because its as boring as batshit to watch.

solidute
21st July 2016, 12:46 AM
Make it more viewable to the general public for starters. I'm pretty sure that it could be back on regular tv even if late at night or even a highlights package that spanned an hour or whatever for each round of a tournament. For the car racing fans the local v8 supercar series and the formula 1 series have the occasional live broadcast and the rest are a highlights package. Not the best outcome for the true enthusiasts but its better than the nothing that they'd otherwise get.
If you are interested you can record it if not its not at a time when the tv stations are losing out for higher earning programs.
True that the real enthusiasts would sign up for pay tv but not everyone can afford or justify that expense either.
At the end of the day exposure is everything.
Perhaps a trick shot segment slotted in somewhere might bring in a new crowd

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk