PDA

View Full Version : The Golf Show 15th May

Grunt
17th May 2006, 06:28 AM
HI all

Just watching last nights Golf Show. The footage from the Australian Open Media day was interesting.
Norman spoke about how many games he was planning to play a year he said 8-10 and that would need another 8-10 weeks to prepare. He said that he was too busy to put in the effort to give up any more than 20 weeks.
Another thing Greg mentioned that I was surprised by was when he said "I can't hit 800-1000 balls a day any more"
800-1000 Wow:shock: no wonder his body is breaking down. He said his practice now includes playing golf too, he added that he never did that before.

Flowergirl
17th May 2006, 07:05 AM
Yes I saw that too. Wow...anything over 150 balls in a practise for me is usually 100 too many!!!

miro
17th May 2006, 07:12 AM
I believe circa 1000 a day is pretty much standard for the pros. A few years ago (prior to his aussie tour success) I caught up with Nathan Green. When asked how much practice he was doing he replied "7 or 8 hours a day". To which I replied "what hitting balls, gym work, etc etc". No "just hitting balls".

So much for the glamorous life of a Pro Golfer.

Grunt
17th May 2006, 07:20 AM
Yeah I can understand it as a standard. Can you imagine if a guy develops a fault that he hits those 1000 while doing damage to his body OUCH. The current crop would probably be way way fitter than their counterparts in previous eras. Got to think, how much better Seve and the like would have been if he were not so injury prone. Maybe the 1000 balls broke them.

andylo
17th May 2006, 07:44 AM
Can you imagine if a guy develops a fault that he hits those 1000 while doing damage to his body OUCH.

Yeah I know one, his name is alo

Toolish
17th May 2006, 08:18 AM
Why do they need to hit 1000 balls?

If you are working on the right moves and ingraining them then 200-300 should be plenty.

If you are counting chipping, pitching, putting then I can see how the number would go up.

3oneday
17th May 2006, 08:29 AM
Why do they need to hit 1000 balls?

If you are working on the right moves and ingraining them then 200-300 should be plenty.

If you are counting chipping, pitching, putting then I can see how the number would go up.I was pretty sure I read somewhere that it takes 1,000 repetitions before it becomes part of muscle memory.

I have 800 more swings to go before my new swing is born !!!!

:lol:

McMw
17th May 2006, 08:56 AM
I was pretty sure I read somewhere that it takes 1,000 repetitions before it becomes part of muscle memory.

read that too...but I tot it was 2000...will have to check up on that later...

seems like too much work!!! :lol:

markTHEblake
17th May 2006, 09:10 AM
read that too...but I tot it was 2000...will have to check up on that later...

Gary Calder (several times PGA coach of the year) told me that the Qld Uni did a study on this and found that the no. of repetitions to 'groove' a change was..... and i forgot the number but it was extremely high - to the point of being unbeleivable. like 10,000 or 100,000.

and thats constant repetitions, not the 1:100 chance us hackers have got of getting something right two swings in a row.

3oneday
17th May 2006, 09:18 AM
Gary Calder (several times PGA coach of the year) told me that the Qld Uni did a study on this and found that the no. of repetitions to 'groove' a change was..... and i forgot the number but it was extremely high - to the point of being unbeleivable. like 10,000 or 100,000.

and thats constant repetitions, not the 1:100 chance us hackers have got of getting something right two swings in a row.damn....

makes sense though, especially from a "trusting your swing" perspective.

Pete

burger
17th May 2006, 11:30 AM
Think I heard 'somewhere', so maybe take this witha grain of salt . . .

It take 20,000 hours training to reach an elite level at a given sport.

Guess that's on top of a modicum of talent.

stu

Golfgirl
17th May 2006, 12:00 PM
Think I heard 'somewhere', so maybe take this witha grain of salt . . .

It take 20,000 hours training to reach an elite level at a given sport.

Guess that's on top of a modicum of talent.

stu

It would have to be.... because with my hand/eye coordination (or lack thereof), it would take a lot more than 20,000 hours to be any good at sport. Trust me, I've just taken up tennis so I finally have realised how clumsy I really am.... :)

Toolish
17th May 2006, 02:17 PM
I am sure I heard something from Bann or Lynch that said 30 reps a day, every day for 21 days should be enough?

goughy
17th May 2006, 03:25 PM
Can you imagine what VJ does then. Considering he is the practice freak.

These guys earn millions of dollars. They should have to work hard for it. I'm glad that they do.

Jono
17th May 2006, 04:36 PM
I don't think any pro would hit 1000 full shots a day. (i.e. excluding pitch shots, chip shots, putts). Think about it. That's 8 straight hours of hitting balls, averaging 1 shots every 30 seconds ... :shock:

Jarro
17th May 2006, 04:53 PM
i'm sure i read somewhere that VJ hits 800 full shots per day.

He also has his own practice area at Sawgrass where the groundskeepers say he absolutely wrecks every day :shock:

Falcon
17th May 2006, 04:55 PM
Short game would be a must for any pro to practice and would take up the majority i would hope.

I get bored sh!tless after 50 balls, just prefer to work on it over 9 holes.

jimandr
17th May 2006, 09:52 PM
I missed the first half on Tuesday, and again on the replay today. So I didn't see Norman talking.

I was impressed with seeing Long Reef in the background when Ogle was introducing each segment. I often miss the first part of the show, and then try to identify where he is (I got Long Reef right).

I like it when he's not at Bonnie Doon each week. Just adds a bit of interest.

There was a story in one of the golf mags about six months ago where the writer accompanied Vijay on a 'day on the range'. It was a great article, describing an easy six hours of intensive practice, which he said was a 'normal' day. It's not as easy as it looks, at the top.

marcel
18th May 2006, 11:47 AM
I was pretty sure I read somewhere that it takes 1,000 repetitions before it becomes part of muscle memory.

I have 800 more swings to go before my new swing is born !!!!

:lol:

I was pretty sure I read somewhere that it takes 1,000 sets of clubs before they become part of your permanent bag setup.

How many to go??

Grunt
18th May 2006, 03:21 PM
I was pretty sure I read somewhere that it takes 1,000 sets of clubs before they become part of your permanent bag setup.

How many to go??

LOL

There must a few guys here nearing that mark.

3oneday
18th May 2006, 07:59 PM

How many to go??:p

be at least 900.....

:p