PDA

View Full Version : How much are bananas where you are ???????????

Fishman Dan
16th May 2006, 03:38 PM
Reached $11 per kg here. Freaking ridiculous, it's roughly $1/finger.

Some shop owners are selling more than they did when they were $2.99 / kg?!

ben
16th May 2006, 03:45 PM
do they have serial numbers? If not they are probably tour issue which is why they are worth so much more than the ones with serial numbers.

last check down here they were $9.98 per kg, but I havn't seen them on the shelf for a week or so.

Jarro
16th May 2006, 03:50 PM
$9 a kilo at the local Woolies :shock:

Too rich for our blood , kids will just have to eat biscuits instead.

ben
16th May 2006, 03:52 PM
Jazza,

cannot remember the last time I saw a banana in our house :(

Jarro
16th May 2006, 04:07 PM
Fruit and Vege are overrated Ben ;)

markTHEblake
16th May 2006, 04:17 PM
you blokes should be ashamed of yourselves. real men dont shop.

bread and milk on the way home from work is allowed, but thats all.

Fishman Dan
16th May 2006, 04:19 PM
I've got a real problem buying fruit/veg from Woolies full stop - they freeze/chill them for a long time, and they're so full of preservatives/fresheners, they're great when you get 'em, 2 days later they're crap.

$9 for dodgy 'nanas!

3oneday
16th May 2006, 04:22 PM
Have a Mars Bar instead...

ben
16th May 2006, 04:23 PM
Pete,

You did that, now you're bald and ugly.. or was that the cherry ripes?

3oneday
16th May 2006, 04:25 PM
Pete,

You did that, now you're bald and ugly.. or was that the cherry ripes?it wasn't the fault of a Mars Bar.... some are just blessed I guess ;)

And yes, cherry ripes are better, but there would have been less mileage in here with a Mars Bar :shock:

Pete

Jarro
16th May 2006, 04:26 PM
Check the freezer. Thats where my missus keeps hers.

does she remove the wax tips before freezing them ?

Flowergirl
16th May 2006, 05:14 PM
Too dear.......moved on to cucumbers:twisted:

Webster
16th May 2006, 05:27 PM
does this mean that Banana Paddle Pops are going up in price as well?

Grunt
16th May 2006, 05:30 PM
does this mean that Banana Paddle Pops are going up in price as well?

Ohhhh NOOOOOO!

The best Ice-cream there is can't get more pricey.

amanda
16th May 2006, 05:40 PM
Even Flemington Markets on Saturday was expensive - $6/kg.

We've switched to apples and mandarins :)

connico
16th May 2006, 05:50 PM
9/kg... they didnt taste any better?? :p

990B Luva
16th May 2006, 06:36 PM
I've got a real problem buying fruit/veg from Woolies full stop - they freeze/chill them for a long time, and they're so full of preservatives/fresheners, they're great when you get 'em, 2 days later they're crap.

$9 for dodgy 'nanas!

Fishy, get your facts right, i work for Woolies and i can say that the fruit/veg is not frozen. selected lines (Broccoli and that stuff) come in frozen but with packaging dates on the containers. generally all products on dispaly are 3 days old at the latest, most products are 1-2 days old

Fishman Dan
16th May 2006, 07:27 PM
990 - i know your Mum probably does ten-tenths of your shopping, but the banana's i buy from Woolies don't last half the time of those bought from a fruit shop, and are generally tasteless.

The bananas we get from the farm last over 2 weeks - the skin goes black, but when you peel them they are the freshest, tastiest banana's. No preservatives or anything to make them more presentable.

generally all products on dispaly are 3 days old at the latest, most products are 1-2 days old

By that, do you mean 3 days on display? I've heard that they can be off the tree for months before they get into your local. I've also heard (i'll be the first to admit i'm skeptical) that there's enough banana's in storage for supermarkets for months, and this is blatant profiteering (this part i believe).

markTHEblake
16th May 2006, 07:43 PM
ye gods, first we had the petro-dollar war, now the banana-woolies war. Whats next?

connico
16th May 2006, 07:52 PM
How do you put a preservatives in a "fresh" fruit?? do they inject these said bannanas with like something to induce staying yellow??...how about apples do they like, apply a edible varnish to make them stay solid and shiny?

Excuse my ignorance but i gotta now how the f&*k they put preservatives in a fruit?

BrisVegas
16th May 2006, 08:18 PM
Paid $4.99 per kg on Sunday at the Big Red Elephant fruit shop on the way to Toowoomba. Locally, they've been $9.99 per kg at Woolies and BiLo.

markTHEblake
16th May 2006, 08:18 PM
The preservatives are not injected they are grown that way using genetically modified banana's. Same with apples and other stuff, all genetically designed to look better. even KFC copied the idea off them.

Buying free range banana's is the way to go, stuff this genetic stuff, its not natural.

amanda
16th May 2006, 08:23 PM
selected lines (Broccoli and that stuff) come in frozen but with packaging dates on the containers
broccoli is always packed in ice - stops it from going to seed (flower) - I do this even when I purchase it at the wholesale markets.

this whole storage of fruit thing was brought up with the new Coles ads. While the crate does come from the farmer - it can sit in refrigerated storage for a few months. I've always found Woollies F&V to be better than Coles - but more pricey too.

I'll always buy from a fruit & veggie shop over a supermarket (and I'd prefer to buy from a wholesale market over the local veggie shop)

connico - for apples, they put a layer of wax on them to try and keep the freshness in. If you've ever purchased apples from the Farmers Market at Warwick Farm - they are wax free and will last in your fruit bowl for 2-3 weeks before starting to go soft or wither.

Grunt
16th May 2006, 08:25 PM
You would be amazed to know what stuff out there is genetically modified.
Fruit
Veges
Chicken
Meat etc.

Grunt
16th May 2006, 08:27 PM
haven't been to the Farmers Market for ages, Amanda. I guess it is still great to get other stuff, not only fruit and veg.

amanda
16th May 2006, 08:32 PM
Grunt - the Farmers Market has become ridiculously expensive over the last few months. While I love the flavour of organic produce, I just can't bring myself to pay three or four times the price per kg.

I went to Flemington Food Markets for the first time on Saturday - an absolute madhouse but huge bargains on fresh fruit - especially in bulk - eg - broccoli $2.50/kg, carrots $1/kg, mandarins - $1.75/kg, potatoes - 10kg for $9

Fishman Dan
16th May 2006, 09:44 PM
Wax for apples (which is why mum always told me to wash them), spray for bananas etc..

McCoy
16th May 2006, 10:09 PM
The supermarkets store the fruit and veg in a big fridge out the back that keeps them at about 3 degrees I think. So they're not frozen and they can last a long time at that temp. But bananas are the biggest seller and you only have to be somewhat competent at rotating stock to keep fresh ones on display.

$3.99 at Mt Tamborine markets

raidrboy
16th May 2006, 10:19 PM
Bananas $9.98 a kilo at bi-lo in Wodonga.

connico
18th May 2006, 10:25 AM
Genetic modifcation is one thing, infact its normal infact, we generically modify all the produce we can get our hands on so that they last longer, ship better and still maintain the same taste and nutrient...

but perservatives on fruits and veges...thats sickening...i guess thats why mum doesnt buy fruit at the supermarket...so much cheaper but if they are waxing apples...ffs im not eating them..

Fishman Dan
18th May 2006, 10:39 AM
Waxed apples have been around since the dawn of time.

It's moreso the easily perishable items - bananas, mangoes, peachs, pears, apricots.... They look great, but biting into them is another story.

I bought a bag of small apples the other day from Coles because i was in a rush. A satisfactory crunch, but they were dead-set tasteless. I've never been tempted to take food back to a shop, but I was very tempted on this occasion.

connico
18th May 2006, 10:51 AM
lucky dad grows heaps of asian veges and fruits for me to eat, i couldnt stay paying for a tasteless peice of fruit.